Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

kri kri posted:

Will logitech be making any mechanical keyboards?
I can only answer questions about products that are on our website or have had a press release written about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Please make a mechanical keyboard then, that has a USB 2 hub, audio, macro keys (that work in OS X), non-retarded layout and media keys.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
USB 2.0 hub in a keyboard is ridiculously problematic. More than a few motherboards refuse to play nice with them, causing massive headaches. Additionally, if we don't include a power supply people complain that the ports only provide 100 mA, and if we do include one people complain that it costs too much and takes up a socket on their power strip. And since passthrough ports won't pass USBIF spec (which says that USB devices may only have one connector on them and extension cables are illegal) we don't use them.

Not to say we won't ever consider it, but there are many very good reasons we did not put a hub in the G510.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
I'm starting to wear down my Logitech Mx1000 mouse keyboard combo.
Should I upgrade to a Logitech Wave pro for the new mouse and keyboard?

I know the mouse is solid. But in terms of the keyboard, how much more comfortable is it compared to say, some of the mechanical keyboards that are being talked about here?

I'm not doing much gaming on this - just mostly typing.
My options right now are either a Wave Pro, splurging on a mechanical brown filco, or perhaps even an apple keyboard.

It's been a very very long time since I had a chance to compare a mechanical to the latest keyboards so I don't remember what I'm missing.

Fist of Fury
Dec 3, 2004

THIS TITLE CAN'T POSSIBLY BE AS OBNOXIOUS AS MY POSTS

Kalix posted:

or perhaps even an apple keyboard.

Go to a Best Buy and buy one for $50. If you don't like it, just return it. My Comfort Curve 2000 was a hell of a nice value for $20, but after beating it up enough I decided to try to replace it with an Apple aluminum keyboard and see how that treated me. I'm a 90+ WPM typist and I am very picky about keyboards, so I was cautious going in.

The Apple Aluminum is pretty fantastic, to be honest:

Pros:

+ Mine hasn't been broken in yet, but the action is low and smooth like a laptop and you feel like you don't have to invest as much finger strength into typing. With practice, it can lead to lazier, faster typing. Nice.

+ WASD gaming was big concern for me, but this covers that base pretty well. As long as you just need a standard 101-key layout and don't need a bunch of macros or something bound to a bunch of media keys, you'll do fine with this keyboard.

+ It looks cool as hell let's be honest here. The slim design really frees up a lot of desk space. Since it's so low to the tabletop, I'm able to get rid of the wrist support pad I had for the old keyboard and just put my palms right on the table. So it's very comfortable to use and you can type quickly with it. However, it's not perfect...

Cons:

- Function keys are loving tiny and difficult to discern unless you've had years of former Macbook training and just know where this stuff is anyway.

- It's almost 2011 and there are still no print screen or insert keys on this thing. Yeah I know about your storied history of accomplishing the same thing with awkward apple and command-key combinations in your own operating systems, but really Apple? Really?

- Pretty sure this thing is just one misplaced glass of orange juice away from going from great to trash. I haven't had the sack to test it, but the keyboard doesn't seem very resistant to dirt, finger oils, and whatever you made the costly mistake of trying to eat or drink next to it, you fat neckbeard you. If you're used to just popping off keys and spot-cleaning as needed, then this will annoy you quite a bit. Dirt and crap disappears into the gaps between the chiclet keys and the bezel, never to be seen from again but waiting to screw up the action on that key months down the line. It looks like you've got to take off the rubber pads on the back and unscrew the back from the front to get any kind of meaningful access to the keyboard membrane, just like the older apple keyboards. It's one of those time-will-tell concerns, but this keyboard looks like it has the potential to get really screwed up and dirty in just a couple of weeks.

Definitely a fan nevertheless. It's fast, it's comfortable, and it looks good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Etrips posted:

If you really want, you can sign up for the Best Buy auction site. and pick one up for $25~ if you don't mind an open box.

Thanks again for this link, I won the first auction for a Logitech Illuminated keyboard I saw for $13.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Fist of Fury posted:

WASD Gaming

I hope I'm not opening up a :can: of worms here, but am I the only person who made the switch to ESDF here and found it to be 10x better for every possible game imaginable?

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.

Illuminado posted:

I hope I'm not opening up a :can: of worms here, but am I the only person who made the switch to ESDF here and found it to be 10x better for every possible game imaginable?

You are not the only one.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I want a keyboard with red cherry switches too bad they're difficult to find, and only seem to be available in Asia.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Blackclaw posted:

From the question post.

Doh, so sorry. :(

Goo posted:

Since I designed all three of these, I'll answer your questions about them.

I was rather disappointed in the G110. In my opinion, the keys felt mushy, the backlight was not consistant thoughought the key prints, and the volume wheel was far too insensitive (too many rolls required to turn the volume down a decent amount). Have any of these been improved, from my point of view (i.e. firmer keys, better light transmission through keys, and a more sensitive wheel)?

You guys make great products and I always try to get logitech whenever possible (bit of a fanboy for logitech's stuff). The g110 was the only product I've ever had a complaint about after using 2 speaker systems, 5 mice, a harmony remote, and another keyboard.

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own
Fedex is going to deliver my HHKB Pro2 Tomorrow,

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Siroc posted:

I was rather disappointed in the G110. In my opinion, the keys felt mushy, the backlight was not consistant thoughought the key prints, and the volume wheel was far too insensitive (too many rolls required to turn the volume down a decent amount). Have any of these been improved, from my point of view (i.e. firmer keys, better light transmission through keys, and a more sensitive wheel)?

You guys make great products and I always try to get logitech whenever possible (bit of a fanboy for logitech's stuff). The g110 was the only product I've ever had a complaint about after using 2 speaker systems, 5 mice, a harmony remote, and another keyboard.
The key feeling spec for the G110 is identical to our other G-Series keyboards so I'm not sure why it appears different. You're not the only person who's said this, though, so it's feedback we'll taking into consideration for future products.

The brightness of the backlighting is a bit lower than the orange G15, so this probably affects the perceived consistency as more of the internal structure of the keycap is visible as shadows in the characters. Overall, the consistency as measured by machines is actually pretty much the same as the orange G15, and is significantly better than the blue G15 and G11 keyboards.

As far as the volume roller, Microsoft interprets HID volume controls differently between XP and Vista/7, so something that's usable on one OS is either way too fast or ridiculously slow on the other, depending on which way we tune the output. We tried to find a happy medium, but unfortunately there's no solution that's good for everyone. The G510's volume roller is takes a little more than a full rotation to go from minimum to maximum on Windows 7 so that you get the best balance between fine control and speed on the most current operating system. I don't have a production G110 easily available to me but its roller is slower than the G510's.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Goo posted:

brightness of the backlighting [...] blue
Blue lighting on PC components needs to die a horrific, fiery death. Not only does it look cheap and tacky, but it destroys night vision. Learn from the pro guys (submarines, law enforcement, etc) and use red. Maybe orange or low-lux green in a pinch.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
All our current keyboards (G110, G510, G19) have the option to do red. G19 and G510 are both full RGB so you can do whatever color you want, and the G110 can mix red/blue to do any shade of purple you'd like. And we've been shipping non-blue keyboards since 2006. Blue is likely to stay, though, because we get a significant amount of unhappy feedback when we remove it. It was the most common piece of negative feedback we got on the orange-only G15.

Goo fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 16, 2010

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
Buglord
Goo you work for Logitech? Im suprised because you don't talk like "Our quality logitech boards give consumers what they expect in a..."

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
If you want me to talk like a press release I can, but those are aimed at people who don't actually know what I'm talking about.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Goo make your next keyboard out of red cherry switches you know you want to. Your pal Duck and Cover wouldn't steer you wrong.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

Goo posted:

If you want me to talk like a press release I can, but those are aimed at people who don't actually know what I'm talking about.

As someone who actually works for Logitech, what do you personally believe to be the best (logitech) gaming keyboard and why? I am super stoked that we have you posting here!

edit: To clarify not the "best" most expensive keyboard but in your opinion the best one you guys offer, whether in your mind that is price/performance balance, or just overall quality, I leave that up to you. Also why should I even start to consider a G510 at that cost?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Duck and Cover posted:

Goo make your next keyboard out of red cherry switches you know you want to. Your pal Duck and Cover wouldn't steer you wrong.

I think you could pitch it to corporate and have enough pre-sales (through this thread) to cover your bottom line.

Also: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.
So, I need a wireless keyboard with a trackpad. I would like, but don't need, scissor-switch keys and a backlight. It won't see heavy use, and I don't need it for gaming.

Budget is $50-100, which probably precludes the backlight.

Suggestions?

Robo-Pope fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 16, 2010

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Woofington posted:

As someone who actually works for Logitech, what do you personally believe to be the best (logitech) gaming keyboard and why? I am super stoked that we have you posting here!

edit: To clarify not the "best" most expensive keyboard but in your opinion the best one you guys offer, whether in your mind that is price/performance balance, or just overall quality, I leave that up to you. Also why should I even start to consider a G510 at that cost?
I'll answer this with my personal opinion, because since I'm only one guy (and an incredibly biased one at that) I'm not necessarily going to give you an answer that makes sense for your situation. It really depends on the kind of game you're playing, and whether you care about specific features on the product, but because I'm a WoW nerd who occasionally jumps into MW2 I use the G510 currently for three reasons:
  • It's my most recent project and I always use the products I'm working on
  • 18 programmable keys with 3 mode states each = 54 custom macros per game = ezmode
  • I can hold down at least 5 and usually 6 non-modifier keys across the entire board
The other features are useful as well, certainly, but purely from a utility standpoint those are the ones that affect my decision the most. Again, though, I'm just one guy with a bias. I would put my opinion as a small footnote in your decision making process.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

What I'd like to see from Logitech is something that's a love child of a Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch, an Enermax Aurora Micro, and Logitech Illuminated with Cherry MX blue/brown/black. Ideally, a traditional 104/105-key layout in tenkeyless format (i.e. 87-key) with the Windows right menu key (who uses that? seriously? Shift-F10 does the same thing) replaced by a Fn key to activate the tenkey overlay and media keys on F1-12 (ala Logitech Illuminated). That and for the love of god, don't use one of those "L" enter keys or single-width backspace keys. Make sure to offer both a wired and wireless version and market them under the same base name. Basically, a Logitech [Wireless] Illuminated with real-deal full-profile mechanical switches and tenkeyless w/ overlay. Market the Cherry MX switches as Pro (blue), Gamer (black), and Silent (brown).

Some other brands to watch out for in the mechanical keyboard space are Leopold (Strongman OEM) and Ducky, both of which are Korean-only so far. We'll see how quickly they internationally market.

For those wondering, Das and Deck are OEM rebrands of Costar and TG3, respectively.

Goo posted:

Blue is likely to stay, though, because we get a significant amount of unhappy feedback when we remove it. It was the most common piece of negative feedback we got on the orange-only G15.
Mostly from teenagers and/or from Korea/China I'm guessing? Those seem to be the worse offenders on the blue thing, near as I can tell. Even the HardOCP demographic has learned better. Vocal minority and all that (~5% of customer base, in my first-hand consumer relations experience).

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 17, 2010

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

Goo posted:

I'll answer this with my personal opinion, because since I'm only one guy (and an incredibly biased one at that) I'm not necessarily going to give you an answer that makes sense for your situation. It really depends on the kind of game you're playing, and whether you care about specific features on the product, but because I'm a WoW nerd who occasionally jumps into MW2 I use the G510 currently for three reasons:
  • It's my most recent project and I always use the products I'm working on
  • 18 programmable keys with 3 mode states each = 54 custom macros per game = ezmode
  • I can hold down at least 5 and usually 6 non-modifier keys across the entire board
The other features are useful as well, certainly, but purely from a utility standpoint those are the ones that affect my decision the most. Again, though, I'm just one guy with a bias. I would put my opinion as a small footnote in your decision making process.

Thanks for this but macros have never really been my thing. What I am more curious is, in your personal opinion which keyboard has the best "feel" to it. I used to use a mechanical, I had it forever, she was old. Now I have a modern keyboard but the keys feel flimsy and shallow, if you could pick any keyboard for its feel alone within the logitech family, would you still go G510? Barring the fact that its the project your currently working on yadda yadda yadda.

But thanks for the info, being able to strike 5 - 6 keys is really useful for when I wanna rock out on a little keytar hero.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

EnergizerFellow posted:

Mostly from teenagers and/or from Korea/China I'm guessing? Those seem to be the worse offenders on the blue thing, near as I can tell. Even the HardOCP demographic has learned better. Vocal minority and all that (~5% of customer base, in my first-hand consumer relations experience).
The feedback we get is consistent and comes from many many different directions. Focus groups, customer support contacts, online surveys, trade shows, forum posts... I do a ton of reading about this stuff and the people who like blue lighting are legion. That's why we went to RGB - so that people could set their own color.

Woofington - the key force profile for all G-Series keyboards is the same. I don't really use any of the other keyboards we make because low-profile and curved layouts are not my thing.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

Illuminado posted:

I do this too. It really is superior.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Goo posted:

Since I designed all three of these, I'll answer your questions about them.

Please design something with a scroll wheel on the left hand side. With my mouse hand getting RSI, it's nice to use my left hand to scroll a long page every now and again.

edit: Like my current Logitech Internet Navigator, which has no Win 7 drivers for all the extra keys.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 17, 2010

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Goo posted:

I love my programmable keys, but can anyone actually remember 54 custom macros? I can only keep track of what 10 or so do at once...

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Zhentar posted:

I love my programmable keys, but can anyone actually remember 54 custom macros? I can only keep track of what 10 or so do at once...
M1 = druid, M2 = shaman, M3 = paladin.

And yeah, I don't use all 54 but the hue and cry when we reduced it to 6 and then even after we increased it back to 12 was incredible.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Illuminado posted:

ESDF is vastly superior and I've bee using it for like a decade. Wasn't the only reason WASD took off was because one of the big guys back on the Quake 1 days used it in a tournament?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

EnergizerFellow posted:

ESDF is vastly superior and I've bee using it for like a decade. Wasn't the only reason WASD took off was because one of the big guys back on the Quake 1 days used it in a tournament?

with esdf your finger hovers over the windows key

with wasd you have simple close access to ctrl and shift which are necessary for any good game

you can also easily hit tab without moving your hands

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Can anyone recommend a KVM? Using it with a newer Das Keyboard (I've read only the old ones have issues) between a Windows Desktop and a Mac Mini.

Or is it just a matter of looking at KVMs on Newegg with the right amount of stars and the right price?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I think I asked this once in another thread but has anyone ever found a gaming keyboard with ergonomic keys?

Also why are there so many different Logitech Wave keyboards and which provides the best response for gaming? Specifically how many different keys can you hold down at once and are there any repetition or lag issues as seen in some split curve keyboards?
I've seen the K350 Wave and the K450 Comfort Wave in both wired and wireless along with the "pro" models as well as many online stores selling non-ergonomic mini keyboards labelled as k350 or k450.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

hedgecore posted:

Can anyone recommend a KVM? Using it with a newer Das Keyboard (I've read only the old ones have issues) between a Windows Desktop and a Mac Mini.

Or is it just a matter of looking at KVMs on Newegg with the right amount of stars and the right price?

KVM is the old and busted. Use something like synergy

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
Buglord
So my Das Keyboard Silent came in today. What can I say? I love it! Even for silent its still louder than any keyboard ive owned. Its glossy and thats a bit of a turn off but at least it came with a small microfiber/velvet cloth. Its quite heavy and well built. Its quite expensive even with the 25% student discount. I see this as a keeper though. I think it could benefit from some macro keys or volume control but its quite an enjoyable experience thus far.

Im just surprised how loud this silent keyboard is. I bottom out on each key but thats just a habit ive normally gotten used to. Im scared to figure out how loud the Cherry Blue (standard) version is.

Great keyboard, definitely could be cheaper, like 60$'s cheaper.

Fist of Fury
Dec 3, 2004

THIS TITLE CAN'T POSSIBLY BE AS OBNOXIOUS AS MY POSTS
Exchanged my Apple Aluminum Keyboard today for a new one, on the theory that if the slightest little thing is wrong with it, I should just take advantage of a retailers 30 day return policy and get a new one. In this case, the often-used space bar was the culprit. It was noisy and was demonstrating a little play between the keycap and the scissor mechanism that had me concerned.

Fresh out of the box, the new keyboard was somehow worse than the one I returned. All keys were fine and whisper-quiet with the exception of the space bar. It made a raspy shup-shup-shup sound every time it was pressed. Annoying as gently caress. A little googling revealed that this was a very common complaint among Macbook owners as well.

I was done making pilgrimages to Best Buy to return these things, so here's what I did to fix it:

Popped off the space bar keycap and applied dialectric grease to each of the metal and plastic contact points, with particular attention paid to the bracket holding the giant wire scissor springs in place on the key. Fixed the poo poo out of it.

If you're unfamiliar with dialectric grease, it is often used for automotive tune-ups to ensure a good connection between spark plugs and spark plug wires. Watchmakers use it as a mild lubricant so that watch gaskets don't bind when they do battery changes. It's safe for plastics and for that rubbery dome membrane material that you find in keyboards, and even adds mild water resistant properties as well. I hereby endorse this product and/or service, and a lifetime's worth of the stuff can be picked up for just a few bucks at any auto parts store.

So my new dilemma: Pennies worth of grease is all that Apple or more likely--the southeast Asian manufacturing company that made the keyboard on contract for Apple--would have had to spend to fix a very common complaint with their keyboard. Pennies. And yet here I am paying what in keyboard pricing terms is a premium for this thing, celery stick in my rear end and fixing it with found objects like some kind of real life MacGruber. I shouldn't have to do that. Not with a brand new anything.

Kind of just want to take this thing back anyway, even though it's now technically better than new.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Has anyone played with a Thermaltake Challenger yet? I'd like to know how the keys feel. It's finally available on Newegg, right as I was about to pick up that Sidewinder X6. I like the X6's features, but not so much the keys. I'm using the original Saitek Eclipse right now, and I like the key feel except for the space bar. If the Challenger is closer I might go for that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823162012&cm_re=challenger-_-23-162-012-_-Product

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I refuse to believe that anyone actually needs a fan on their keyboard :pwn:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Sweeper posted:

with esdf your finger hovers over the windows key

with wasd you have simple close access to ctrl and shift which are necessary for any good game

you can also easily hit tab without moving your hands

And with a G13 you use your left thumb for all of the WASD / ESDF movement freeing up your fingers for all manner of other things! All WASD/ESDF arguments are moot at that point.

Posting my bi-monthly G13 love post because holy poo poo I love my G13. Goo, never let them stop making that wonderful device.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But dude, the wasd keys are red just in case you forget where they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Linux Nazi posted:

And with a G13 you use your left thumb for all of the WASD / ESDF movement freeing up your fingers for all manner of other things! All WASD/ESDF arguments are moot at that point.

Posting my bi-monthly G13 love post because holy poo poo I love my G13. Goo, never let them stop making that wonderful device.

Seconding the G13 experience, made my gaming so much more enjoyable.... and all the buttons. :fap:

• Locked thread