Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Very Strange Things posted:

If there's any way someone could ignore the larger faults of this (unless it's an obvious and easy fix), and address a specific question I'd REALLY appreciate it.

I hope this falls under "obvious and easy fix" because the copy on that script should go like this:
Deathtrap
A Thriller in Two Acts (Note the lack of quotation marks)
by Ira Levin

Opens September 30
Belfast Maskers
Waterfront Theater

As for your actual question, I think either just shadow or just axe works, with my preference being the shadow. The combined one is busy and you really notice the conflict between the lighting on the axe and everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Slashie posted:

I hope this falls under "obvious and easy fix" because the copy on that script should go like this:
Deathtrap
A Thriller in Two Acts (Note the lack of quotation marks)
by Ira Levin

Opens September 30
Belfast Maskers
Waterfront Theater
Yup; thanks. I thought I'd seen it written my way somewhere buuuut I pretty much probably didn't.

quote:

As for your actual question, I think either just shadow or just axe works, with my preference being the shadow. The combined one is busy
Sigh, yeah that's what I thought.

quote:

and you really notice the conflict between the lighting on the axe and everything else.
Yup, that's the stuff I don't have time to get right with my limited skills.

Thank you; super-helpful.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
If you wanna get really finicky, scripts aren't spiral-bound like that. They're three-hole punched with brass brads in the top and bottom holes. Also does the wood grain feel off to you? It kind of looks to me like the table and the script are resting at different angles. Part of that's probably coming from the shadow under the script, though. It makes it look like the bottom of the script is floating.

O-san
Aug 7, 2005

World's greatest detective (in training)
Hi, I have a question about wet felting.

I was an avid felt maker several years ago, but in the interim I haven’t really done it at all. Which is why I can’t remember the amounts of wool roving I would need for projects.

Now when your working small it doesn’t really matter you can just pick up a few ounces and play around; but I want to get back into felting with a rather large scale project so I need to know as near as possible how much I will need. To prevent not having enough or buying way too much, which I often did back when I used to felt.

So does any one know for instance how many ounces of roving it would take to wet felt a square that is 12X12 inches after drying?

Thanks!

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Licensing work for a non-resale situation: What's a fair fee? I was approached by the state arts council to use one of my images on a promotional postcard, and they want to know what I want as a "fair fee". I've looked into royalties/licensing fees some, but they seem to all be based on merchandise - the resale price, how many are made and sold, where they're distributed.

Anyone have ideas/experience/recommendations?

VV Perfect. Very helpful, thanks.

zap actionsdower! fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 16, 2010

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

zap actionsdower! posted:

Licensing work for a non-resale situation: What's a fair fee? I was approached by the state arts council to use one of my images on a promotional postcard, and they want to know what I want as a "fair fee". I've looked into royalties/licensing fees some, but they seem to all be based on merchandise - the resale price, how many are made and sold, where they're distributed.

Anyone have ideas/experience/recommendations?
When we license images for textbooks, we get flat reprint fees usually between $75 and $200 for interiors, $500-600 for covers. We are also hella for-profit.

I'd float them $200 and be willing to negotiate

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it
COPY PASTE INCOMING... plz help...

is anyone successfully running Photoshop CS3 on Snow Leopard, specifically on a black macbook having upgraded directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard?

I WANT THIS TO WORK BUT IM SCARED!!!

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Is there something like FontBook for Windows?

I should really just invest in a Mac :smith:

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
So... How many pixel artists are there in the Creative Convention? I know Internet Janitor is atleast an MS Paint artist, but are there any 'true' pixel artists?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

TONY DANZAS HO posted:

COPY PASTE INCOMING... plz help...

is anyone successfully running Photoshop CS3 on Snow Leopard, specifically on a black macbook having upgraded directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard?

I WANT THIS TO WORK BUT IM SCARED!!!

Sorry, I can't offer help, but I can offer comedic relief:
http://gunshowcomic.com/227

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

If I want to get a charcoal drawing of mine onto my computer, am I better off scanning it or taking a picture? It's already been sprayed with fixitive if that makes a difference.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I want to paint a series of matryoshka dolls, or Russian nesting dolls, the ones that stack inside each other and get progressively smaller. They're going to be blank wood to start, but I was wondering what kind of prep, primer and paint to use for this sort of thing. The most readily available options are acrylic, gouache and watercolor but I'm willing to buy specialized paint if it's necessary.

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it

Blobone posted:

If I want to get a charcoal drawing of mine onto my computer, am I better off scanning it or taking a picture? It's already been sprayed with fixitive if that makes a difference.

Try both and see which one you prefer :stare:

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

No. 9 posted:

Is there something like FontBook for Windows?

I should really just invest in a Mac :smith:

Suitcase is about as good as you'll get on the PC. On a whole, I think Macs are far better at handling fonts, though.

Greggster posted:

So... How many pixel artists are there in the Creative Convention? I know Internet Janitor is atleast an MS Paint artist, but are there any 'true' pixel artists?

What's your criteria for a "true" pixel artist? Background artist for Metal Slug 2?

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

pipes! posted:

What's your criteria for a "true" pixel artist? Background artist for Metal Slug 2?

Well, I guess someone who draws pixel art a lot and considers him/herself one would be that criteria.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Idiot Writer question here; What's the best method to find an artist to team up with on comic ideas? I'd illustrate them myself if my drawing wasn't awful. Is it just a case of trawling sites like DeviantArt for like minded souls?

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I have a job interview tomorrow and they outright told me they are going to give me a test in InDesign so that I can prove I know and can use InDesign. Problem is, I haven't really used InDesign in the last year although I know the basics. Are there any online tests I can take that are common for these types of things or at the very least some samples of questions that are common for these types of tests???? I'm freaking out!

Alakala
Apr 29, 2009
What good books on anatomy are there for drawing/painting sort of stuff?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Lofty132 posted:

Idiot Writer question here; What's the best method to find an artist to team up with on comic ideas? I'd illustrate them myself if my drawing wasn't awful. Is it just a case of trawling sites like DeviantArt for like minded souls?

I think you may have also asked this question in the BBS webcomic thread (if not somebody else did), but the short answer is you don't. Teach yourself to draw or find a like-minded friend in real life who wants to legitimately collaborate with you. Hiring an internet stranger is going to be just that - hiring. Any good artist will want and deserve compensation, and working on a stranger's idea isn't nearly as rewarding as money.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Alakala posted:

What good books on anatomy are there for drawing/painting sort of stuff?

There's tons and tons out there at just about any bookstore. Loomis' stuff is now public domain and can be had for free over the internet, and I use this book, which I managed to get for $14 at a used bookstore, rather than the $160 Amazon wants for it.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Slashie posted:

I think you may have also asked this question in the BBS webcomic thread (if not somebody else did), but the short answer is you don't. Teach yourself to draw or find a like-minded friend in real life who wants to legitimately collaborate with you. Hiring an internet stranger is going to be just that - hiring. Any good artist will want and deserve compensation, and working on a stranger's idea isn't nearly as rewarding as money.

It wasn't me but thanks for the reply! There's a real skills drain in my town (dying shipbuilding area) so a lot of my friends have escaped to uni. I guess I will practice drawing until I meet the right collaborator.

jediBAMF
Jun 2, 2006

many money
break-it fruity
earl-gray drinking
harmony croquis
crisis fruity boy
Hey everybody I have some paint questions.

I am working on some paintings in which I am layering many many swashes of color.

I started 2 paintings on canvas but quickly discovered that canvas does not lend itself to layering effects because if you water down the paint to be very light, the pigmets will fall into the creases of the canvas and not give you a solid area of color. It looks kinda like pointillism.

So, I was wondering if there was some sort of medium I could mix with my acrylic paints to keep the paint from sinking into the crevaces of canvas texture. I have some matte medium, but the same thing happens. I have also used some acrylic fluid medium but that hinders the drying process and is causing a lot of unintentional mixing.

I just want something fluid, watery, drippy, but will hold the pigment in an even way instead of lying on top of the acrylic as it sinks. WAaaaaaah ART!!!! :(

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
I'm not really sure what effect you are going after, a photo might help.

If you're painting on store bought canvas, prime it with more layers of good acrylic gesso and sand it to smooth. That will get rid of the texture.

Given your description (which I'm not sure I understand) what is more likely happening is that your paint isn't mixed well with the water. A product which helps with that is acrylic flow release, its very handy if you want to water down/mix acrylics. Start with a good paint like golden or liquitex, other brands use fillers that do weird unpredictable poo poo.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

jediBAMF posted:

I just want something fluid, watery, drippy, but will hold the pigment in an even way instead of lying on top of the acrylic as it sinks. WAaaaaaah ART!!!! :(

Try retarder gel. It does stop it from drying too quickly, but it dilutes the pigmentation of your paint like matte medium, only it's a littler thicker so maybe it won't sink into the texture of the canvas so badly.

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie
Does anyone have experience with sculpting and casting latex masks? I've just sculpted my positive using regular Sculpey on top of a styrofoam wig head. What I completely failed to consider was that I would probably have to bake the clay, and that styrofoam has a low melting point — a few degrees lower than Sculpey's recommended baking temperature.

Is it safe to bake it for longer at a lower temperature and/or do it in short, repeated baking sessions to give the styro a chance to cool off?

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

MiketheGreat posted:

Sculpey and Styrofoam

I replied to you over in the Halloween thread, but then I realized this might be a better place to answer.

Anyway, if you've got a big enough pot, you can try boiling it. Boiling cures Sculpey just as well as baking, and it should be gentler on the Styrofoam. It's also way faster than putting it in the oven- about five minutes should do it.

MIRV Griffin
Jul 31, 2009

MiketheGreat posted:

Does anyone have experience with sculpting and casting latex masks? I've just sculpted my positive using regular Sculpey on top of a styrofoam wig head. What I completely failed to consider was that I would probably have to bake the clay, and that styrofoam has a low melting point — a few degrees lower than Sculpey's recommended baking temperature.

Is it safe to bake it for longer at a lower temperature and/or do it in short, repeated baking sessions to give the styro a chance to cool off?

Use a heat gun to bake the sculpey from the outside. This will give you a lot of control over how it cures and how much you're heating the styrofoam within. You should be able to find cheap-ish heat guns in any paint department.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Are there any good methods for converting word files into a form that works well on these here forums? I like to participate I the Writing Contests, but when I paste my story in, it's always a huge pain in the rear end to fix the formatting.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Can anyone tell me why my liquefy tool in CS5 isn't working? No matter what tool I use it's barley moving any pixels around, and not in the way that any of the tools are supposed to work, despite the brush size/density/pressure. Google results only turn up tutorials and lag issues, nothing about it flat out not working.

Edit- I'm dumb. It's because I had "show backdrop" checked. In that case, is there any way I can liquefy a certain layer while showing the other layers and not having to flatten them?

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 1, 2010

Look a sunflower
Jan 6, 2010

There may be a boogeyman or boogeymen in the house.
Hi guys!

This is more about this board itself than a specific art question (I've been lurking for nearly seven years but somehow, haven't spent a lot of time in CC!). I made a stop-motion movie that I want to share, but I had two questions:

1. Is there a stop-motion or video thread already (I don't have search... :( ) and if not, what is the protocol for posting a link? I don't want to have a first post that's just a sad little link because it's super annoying for everyone.

2. I created and photographed the pieces and my boyfriend played and recorded the music, but the whole thing is intrinsically based on a copyrighted character. Is it against the rules to post?

Thanks guys! Sorry for the dumb questions, I swear I have read the rules and browsed around! It just seems that most everybody has a file type that can be shared inline.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Look a sunflower posted:

Hi guys!

This is more about this board itself than a specific art question (I've been lurking for nearly seven years but somehow, haven't spent a lot of time in CC!). I made a stop-motion movie that I want to share, but I had two questions:

1. Is there a stop-motion or video thread already (I don't have search... :( ) and if not, what is the protocol for posting a link? I don't want to have a first post that's just a sad little link because it's super annoying for everyone.

2. I created and photographed the pieces and my boyfriend played and recorded the music, but the whole thing is intrinsically based on a copyrighted character. Is it against the rules to post?

Thanks guys! Sorry for the dumb questions, I swear I have read the rules and browsed around! It just seems that most everybody has a file type that can be shared inline.

I think the Cinematography thread: No film vs. video talk, dammit thread is the one for you, link below :

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144982

I don't think there's anything against you using copyrighted characters, as long as it's for private use only (i.e you don't plan on cashing in on that character) it's OK in the eyes of the law.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Greggster posted:

I don't think there's anything against you using copyrighted characters, as long as it's for private use only (i.e you don't plan on cashing in on that character) it's OK in the eyes of the law.

It's not, actually, but it's up to the copyright holder to enforce it. Most don't, but some copyright holders are real pricks about their IP.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am doing some amateur design work and among other things making a logo, i have designed it in InDesign but i need to get it in a Vector format and image format.

I have access to both Illustrator and Photoshop but not a whole lot of experience in using them, does anyone know of a tutorial or something similar that can help?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Is there a way to make a photoshop guide that doesn’t go from edge to edge? Like when I’m designing a site's nav that I'll cut up later, can I make guide boxes that just surround the nav, so I don’t have lines crisscrossing themselves all over the page? I know I can just create a topmost layer and make 1 pixel strokes where I want to slice, but there's got to be a cleaner way to do it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

How much do fiction editors charge? I'm assuming some sort of freelance editing service or something. Would they charge by the word, by the page, by the time spent editing, some combination?

A friend of mine asked me to edit her novel in preparation for beginning this year's NaNo, and offered to pay. She doesn't have much, and I'm nowhere near a professional editing level, but I'm curious how much I could make doing this sort of thing once I get my bearings.

(Also, forgive me if this isn't in the right place, I'm relatively new to the Creative Convention.)

kyat
Jul 30, 2008
Yet another photoshop question..

I'm working on making a few gifs from clips. I have cs5 and im not entirely sure how to get the effects you see in the previews as the final product. I don't know if there is another way to export what you're saving other than Save for Web and Devices.

The animation i see on screen is usually faster. In the traditional animation window showing each frame, I always have it set to 0 delay between frames, but when its saved it looks far far slower. I don't know if the timeline option will make the animation faster, but im not even sure how to use that properly.

Unconventional Oven
Jan 24, 2006

Not your ordinary oven.
I just recently bought an HP touchsmart laptop computer. I was wondering if there's any setting or programs that make up for the fact you have no keyboard while in the flipped screen drawing mode. I know they have shortcuts in Photoshop CS for cintiqs, but I was wondering if there's a program I can use for other programs such as Opencanvas. Basically so I can use the CRL+Z shortcut function with out having a keyboard.

big beefy chedder
Jul 16, 2004

kyat posted:

Yet another photoshop question..

I'm working on making a few gifs from clips. I have cs5 and im not entirely sure how to get the effects you see in the previews as the final product. I don't know if there is another way to export what you're saving other than Save for Web and Devices.

The animation i see on screen is usually faster. In the traditional animation window showing each frame, I always have it set to 0 delay between frames, but when its saved it looks far far slower. I don't know if the timeline option will make the animation faster, but im not even sure how to use that properly.

Try setting the delay to 0.1s or something not quite as low as 0. I think if you set it really low like that it will give it some default time instead

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Unconventional Oven posted:

I just recently bought an HP touchsmart laptop computer. I was wondering if there's any setting or programs that make up for the fact you have no keyboard while in the flipped screen drawing mode. I know they have shortcuts in Photoshop CS for cintiqs, but I was wondering if there's a program I can use for other programs such as Opencanvas. Basically so I can use the CRL+Z shortcut function with out having a keyboard.
If you wanted you could plug a mouse/keyboard/anything in to it and use it as a hotkey instead. If adobe doesn't let you change the setting you can just use autohotkey to send "ctrl Z" whenever you click the forth mouse button or whatever you plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

jackpot posted:

Is there a way to make a photoshop guide that doesn’t go from edge to edge? Like when I’m designing a site's nav that I'll cut up later, can I make guide boxes that just surround the nav, so I don’t have lines crisscrossing themselves all over the page? I know I can just create a topmost layer and make 1 pixel strokes where I want to slice, but there's got to be a cleaner way to do it.
Or you know what would be even better? Guide layers. Choose guide layer 1 for my nav, while hiding the guides I'm using for the rest of the page. I have a feeling the slice tool is kinda what I'm looking for, but it always seems to make things messy.