Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

10-8 posted:

Wasn't someone in here writing a novel or comic book or something about a district attorney who fights crime on the side? You should call your lawyer.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/sam-raimis-stars-road-sets-3-tv-projects/#more-70774

Those sons of bitches. Mine was better though, it was about a public defender who has to represent his targets.

And it was already kind of a rip-off of daredevil anyway so I guess I can't complain. Hey, maybe Marvel will sue these guys, they're copying way more than I was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

michigan is literally the worst state in your pitiable union

Worst states (AP):

1) Florida
1) Louisiana
1) Alabama
1) South Carolina
1) Georgia
6) Indiana
6) Ohio
6) Alaska
9) North Carolina
10) Georgia
11) Arizona
12) Texas
13) Arkansas
14) Michigan
. . .

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Incredulous Red posted:

Worst states (AP):

1) Florida
1) Louisiana
1) Alabama
1) South Carolina
1) Georgia
6) Indiana
6) Ohio
6) Alaska
9) North Carolina
10) Georgia
11) Arizona
12) Texas
13) Arkansas
14) Michigan
. . .

Oklahoma? Mississippi? Idaho? Missouri? Kansas? West Virginia? Both loving Dakotas?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

IrritationX posted:

Oklahoma? Mississippi? Idaho? Missouri? Kansas? West Virginia? Both loving Dakotas?

There's a different ranking on the Coaches Poll

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Those sons of bitches. Mine was better though, it was about a public defender who has to represent his targets.

The "thug-hugger takes to the streets for some wall-to-wall counseling" angle makes more sense than "rule bender takes to the streets to bend the rules even more" - where's the juxtaposition and conflict in the latter?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The trucker lawyer was the only good idea anyway.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

diospadre posted:

The trucker lawyer was the only good idea anyway.

Doesn't that raise all kinds of multi-jurisdictional UPL issues?

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

entris posted:

I thought that would be taken care of in pro hac vice meetings to introduce the quirky judge of the week, in "My Cousin Vinny" fashion.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Incredulous Red posted:

Worst states (AP):

1) Florida
1) Louisiana
1) Alabama
1) South Carolina
1) Georgia
6) Indiana
6) Ohio
6) Alaska
9) North Carolina
10) Georgia
11) Arizona
12) Texas
13) Arkansas
14) Michigan
. . .
all right, you guys win, every state sucks, death to amerikkka

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

entris posted:

It's not really important to actually know anything about the law in order to have a successful law drama. I watched an episode of Law and Order SVU the other day which had the following quote: "Peter is a danger to himself and the community but as his attorney I can't betray his confidence!"

It's been a while since I studied for the MPRE but I don't think it works like that? Anyway it doesn't matter because she got murdered

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Soothing Vapors posted:

Virginia is the best state.

:colbert:

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

No the list stops at 25 because at that point you start getting into better states

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

Virginia is the best state.

:colbert:

I've lived in North Virginia.

You live in hell, dude.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Anyone here know anything about Canadian law schools? I've been prepping for the upcoming LSAT, with the hopes of getting into the University of Saskatchewan and then hopefully finding a job here in Saskatoon after finishing my degree.

I considered applying to other universities as well, but I'm 99.9% sure that I'll be able to get into the U of S with my marks and potential LSAT, and I want my young son to grow up around his grandparents, who live just a few blocks away from where I am now.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by focussing only on the U of S? I know it's not a top law school in Canada, but as far as I can tell, it's pretty much in the middle of the pack. I'm hoping that going to school here won't hurt my chances of ultimately finding a decent job here (compared to a degree from a better school).

Anyone able to offer me any reassurance?

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Low Ping Gentleman posted:

Anyone here know anything about Canadian law schools? I've been prepping for the upcoming LSAT, with the hopes of getting into the University of Saskatchewan and then hopefully finding a job here in Saskatoon after finishing my degree.

I considered applying to other universities as well, but I'm 99.9% sure that I'll be able to get into the U of S with my marks and potential LSAT, and I want my young son to grow up around his grandparents, who live just a few blocks away from where I am now.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by focussing only on the U of S? I know it's not a top law school in Canada, but as far as I can tell, it's pretty much in the middle of the pack. I'm hoping that going to school here won't hurt my chances of ultimately finding a decent job here (compared to a degree from a better school).

Anyone able to offer me any reassurance?

Saskatchewan's a lovely market generally, although Saskatoon's kind of surprisingly on the rise. If your idea is to make the big bucks (which is a bad idea, see the rest of the thread) you're going to have to be a superstar to get noticed, and be ready to move to Toronto, Calgary, or Vancouver.

If you don't want to do biglaw it probably doesn't matter, there's no real "bad" law schools in Canada, and most of the lawyers working in Saskatchewan probably went to the UofS.

Seriously though don't go.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

here's my idea

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Saskatchewan's a lovely market generally, although Saskatoon's kind of surprisingly on the rise. If your idea is to make the big bucks (which is a bad idea, see the rest of the thread) you're going to have to be a superstar to get noticed, and be ready to move to Toronto, Calgary, or Vancouver.

If you don't want to do biglaw it probably doesn't matter, there's no real "bad" law schools in Canada, and most of the lawyers working in Saskatchewan probably went to the UofS.

Seriously though don't go.

Yeah I'm not looking for big bucks, just a decent job once I graduate. I don't really have dreams of big money or anything, I just feel that law would probably be a good fit for me, and I've always wanted to be a lawyer. I don't have any debt from my undergrad/masters (worked enough crappy jobs during my undergrad to fully pay my tuition/living expenses, and got a full ride for my masters degree), and I estimate that in getting a law degree I'd probably incur ~10,000 in student loan debt.

All I really want after graduating is a job that would let me pay off the student loan I'd take out within a few years, plus enough to eventually buy a house/live comfortably. Sounds like U of S wouldn't be too terrible for that, from what you've just said.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 29, 2010

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Red Bean Juice posted:

here's my idea

Love the factory.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah I'm not looking for big bucks, just a decent job once I graduate. I don't really have dreams of big money or anything, I just feel that law would probably be a good fit for me, and I've always wanted to be a lawyer. I don't have any debt from my undergrad/masters (worked enough crappy jobs during my undergrad to fully pay my tuition/living expenses, and got a full ride for my masters degree), and I estimate that in getting a law degree I'd probably incur ~10,000 in student loan debt.

All I really want after graduating is a job that would let me pay off the student loan I'd take out within a few years, plus enough to eventually buy a house/live comfortably. Sounds like U of S wouldn't be too terrible for that, from what you've just said.

This is where we accuse you of trolling us, that's how cliched your reasoning is.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Think very long and very hard about it boss. Just for funsies, I went to the UofS law careers office website, the Government of Saskatchewan job bank, and the cities of Saskatoon and Regina job banks, and you want to know how many jobs I found? None. Not one. The UofS LCO doesn't have a single summer job posting for the entirety of Saskatchewan. I wasn't joking when I said Saskatchewan is a lovely market. Even if you did want to do biglaw, only Gowlings and Osler are stopping by, and they will get hundreds of qualified applicants from schools better than UofS for a handful of summer jobs.

If your girlfriend's dad owns a firm and wants to employ you or you have some hometown connection and don't mind doing poo poo work for poo poo pay go for it. If you're looking for a honest profession that will keep you in the province and take care of your family take a look at power engineering or being a cop or a plumber or something. Not joking, do not go.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

CaptainScraps posted:

I've lived in North Virginia.

You live in hellawesomeland, dude.

fixed for you.

also, i'm composing a letter to the dean, please proofread/critique:

letter to dean whoever posted:

Dear Dean,

Considering how nearly half of your evening program students work either on the Hill or in the defense or intelligence world while the nation is fighting two goddamn wars, it makes little loving sense for evening professors to have mandatory attendance policies. This probably wouldn't happen if you actually had roughly the same professors available each year instead of rotating a crop of hapless neophytes who haven't the slightest clue how to teach evening clases, but that's irrelevant. Kindly 'unfuck' your school and its professors. Thank you.

Respectfully,

dividebyzero

thoughts?

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
Also, can someone refresh me on creating email searches or what have you to rack up Lexis/Westlaw points?

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

diospadre posted:

This is where we accuse you of trolling us, that's how cliched your reasoning is.

I'm honestly not trying to troll you, and I didn't realize my reasoning was cliched. I was just looking to see if anyone could tell me whether or not attending this school instead of a more prestigious school would hamper my ability to find a job in the region.

I realize that law school is hard, that working in the field is tedious, that there aren't many jobs out there, and that I can't expect the degree to get me a job at all, let alone one where they pay me decent money. I still want to be a lawyer, since it's what I've always wanted to do, and I'm sure some of you went into law school for the same reason. I'm well aware that I'll probably be making 20,000 a year to start with, and that I probably won't ever earn an income over 50,000.

I've looked at what it will cost me to go (8,000 a year tuition), how much I can get from Student Loans, and how much they'll expect me to pay back. I have a good estimate of what kind of financial situation attending this school would put me in. All I wanted to know was how this school is regarded by employers in the region.

edit: I realized I shouldn't have said anything about a house or living comfortably; I was kind of stuck for what to say, so for some reason I went off on a tangent on long-term, 10+ goals for my two-income family, and I'm well aware that law school isn't any kind of guarantee of that kind of success.

quote:

Think very long and very hard about it boss. Just for funsies, I went to the UofS law careers office website, the Government of Saskatchewan job bank, and the cities of Saskatoon and Regina job banks, and you want to know how many jobs I found? None. Not one. The UofS LCO doesn't have a single summer job posting for the entirety of Saskatchewan. I wasn't joking when I said Saskatchewan is a lovely market.

Yeah, I looked at the U of S career website as well, which is part of the reason for my original post. I noticed that they said that most articling/summer positions are found by cold-calling firms, rather than website postings, which doesn't tell me much about the availability of jobs. I was hoping that somebody here had gone to the school and could let me know what to expect. Thanks for your reply though, I didn't think the job market here was quite as bad as you say.

edit: I have a friend who's a plumber, and he says that there's a bit of a glut of plumbers right now, so the job market isn't that great. There's a 5-year waitlist for police jobs too, so that's out. And I'm not too interested in being an engineer, so that's out too.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 30, 2010

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Call around and talk to whoever's hiring whereever you want to work and ask what they think of UofS grads. Or creep company directories, it will tell you where people did their undergrad and law degrees. It'll give you a sense of who's coming from where

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Yeah, I looked at the U of S career website as well, which is part of the reason for my original post. I noticed that they said that most articling/summer positions are found by cold-calling firms, rather than website postings, which doesn't tell me much about the availability of jobs.

Yes it does. It actually says everything you need to know.

Just to make it a little clearer, a decent school's website wouldn't say that. Also, if you're relying on cold calling to land a job, whether it's in America or Canada you are hosed ITE.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

gvibes posted:

If there were jobs and weren't so many jesus people there, I would totally move to Grand Rapids.

:whatup:

rep the ru

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I'm gonna write a procedural cop drama that focuses on Internal Affairs as the heroes. There's gonna be some court segments with a sassy black female DA.

None of you guys steal this idea I already wrote it down and mailed it to myself.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
A better idea would be a humorous take on a DA's office. Like Scrubs, but with law.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

billion dollar bitch posted:

A better idea would be a humorous take on a DA's office. Like Scrubs, but with law.

Kind of like Boston Legal but public sector?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I've never seen Boston Legal. Is it funny?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Needs to be PDs.
We have better stories. The DA's client has never poo poo herself in open court because she doesn't exist!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

I've never seen Boston Legal. Is it funny?

Yes.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

nm posted:

Needs to be PDs.
We have better stories. The DA's client has never poo poo herself in open court because she doesn't exist!

We are all the DAs client

E. Also guess where I'm looking for a job:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/103929588.html

JudicialRestraints fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 30, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

JudicialRestraints posted:

We are all the DAs client
boring

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

Needs to be PDs.

No, you ain't! (pilot)
MMMM! Tastes like ju-ju-bees!
Oh, that's good. No, that's bad
Small world, big karma
Man, do I know you? gently caress! you was my lawyer!
To defend (season finale)

should probably be on cable...

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
So I got a copy of my school's Career Development Office booklet for 1Ls and it goes through the various structures of legal employers. I did appreciate the description of compensation methods as "lock-step" or "eat what you kill."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J Miracle posted:

I'm gonna write a procedural cop drama that focuses on Internal Affairs as the heroes. There's gonna be some court segments with a sassy black female DA.

None of you guys steal this idea I already wrote it down and mailed it to myself.

That brings up an interesting point. Has there ever been a police procedural or cop movie where internal affairs HASN'T been a bunch of weaselly evil bastards? I feel like it must be in the job description or something. I had an internship with the state department of revenue and even their internal affairs guy seemed like a jerkbag.

I'd watch a show where internal affairs were the good guys. Kind of like other side of The Shield, starring someone more likable than Forest Whitaker

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

That brings up an interesting point. Has there ever been a police procedural or cop movie where internal affairs HASN'T been a bunch of weaselly evil bastards? I feel like it must be in the job description or something. I had an internship with the state department of revenue and even their internal affairs guy seemed like a jerkbag.

I'd watch a show where internal affairs were the good guys. Kind of like other side of The Shield, starring someone more likable than Forest Whitaker

The Departed?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Ainsley McTree posted:

See that's just it, there's definitely never been a SHOW featuring internal affairs, they're always depicted as scumbags. But would we as private citizens REALLY prefer there not be an internal affairs? I think it could be a good show. Kinda like how Raising the Bar (lol) was basically the only lawyer show that depicted criminal defense and criminal defense lawyers as not incompetent or scum of the earth

That's one of the things that always cracks me up about L&O. DA: you're awesome. Defense Attorney: You're a weaselly little poo poo. Civil/Corporate Lawyer: nom nom babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004
http://www.law.gwu.edu/News/newsstories/Pages/2010SpaceLawTeam.aspx

I wish I practiced Space Law. :-(