Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Pick posted:

Dude, this show is the perfect companion to Adventure Time. Heck, hate to say, but ever since Regular Show premiered, I've liked it better than the accompanying Adventure Time episode. Better than Adventure Time at its best? Not yet, but it's better than the most recent few. Yeah, woo, Regular Show!

Yeah, as much as I love Adventure Time, I found myself more concerned I would miss Regular Show than I was about missing AT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Life is Eat and Die
Apr 15, 2001

kefkafloyd posted:

Sure it can. You never played Impossible Mission or Castle Wolfenstein on the Commodore 64?

Also the terrible Ghostbusters NES game.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Regular show is great, I am glad others share this thought with me.

i still need to watch the latest epsiode, but the power is still the best one so far. Although voltron arcade machines is pretty kick rear end.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

I really hope they don't stick to the 15 minute time slot formula forever. I know it's CN's way of spanning the show out to make it longer, but I need me some full length Reg Show.

Also they should animate an entire episode in this style.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

<-

Couldn't help myself

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Martytoof posted:

<-

Couldn't help myself

A net that's full of pucks, send 'em to the moon.
Montreal D, it doesn't work. Send 'em to the moon.

e: Hamboning could save a game some day. It'll be like "What? You trying to score on me?"*slappity slappity slap*

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 29, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MESZAROS (I LOVE YOU)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Martytoof posted:

<-

Couldn't help myself

SpacePig posted:

A net that's full of pucks, send 'em to the moon.
Montreal D, it doesn't work. Send 'em to the moon.

e: Hamboning could save a game some day. It'll be like "What? You trying to score on me?"*slappity slappity slap*

Crossin' fuckin' borders all up in here.

(that avatar owns marty)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Inspector_71 posted:

Crossin' fuckin' borders all up in here.

(that avatar owns marty)

I really loving wish I could draw. I'd have Mordecai in the Charlie Crews "touch death" pose (seen here in case you haven't watched Life) (rectify that immediately), "The Power" in his gun hand...maybe Fist Pump tickets in the flag hand.

With all due respect to the guy that put this av together for me, that would probably coax another five bucks out of me.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

kefkafloyd posted:

Sure it can. You never played Impossible Mission or Castle Wolfenstein on the Commodore 64?

MATTEL ELECTRONICS PRESENTS...BEEE-SEVENTEEN BAHMER

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sega Master System.

Way to go Regular Show

Erotic Thomas
Apr 22, 2010
I was on the fence for the pilot and first episode, but I'm totally sold now.

kefkafloyd posted:

Those games came on much larger storage media than what those cartridges were supposed to be. Impossible Mission came on a tape and Castle Wolfenstein's audio was practically incomprehensible, despite being on a floppy disk.

Why the hell am I even saying any of this? It was a great episode.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Erotic Thomas posted:

Those games came on much larger storage media than what those cartridges were supposed to be. Impossible Mission came on a tape and Castle Wolfenstein's audio was practically incomprehensible, despite being on a floppy disk.

Why the hell am I even saying any of this? It was a great episode.

My Commodore Impossible Mission came on a single sided 170K floppy disk. NES cartridges weren't that far off... I'm just sayin' that this sort of thing isn't impossible from games of the time.

Of course, it's because the C64 had the superior sound chip known as the SID that made synthesized speech possible. :colbert:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I've seen the original Adventure Time short thing and two eps, and I have to say I like this waaaay better and I am happy it has its own thread. Since AT is so short and shares the half hour though, I will continue to DVR both and keep giving it chances.

I loved Flapjack so I guess it makes sense that I love this show too. And the two shorts I've seen of his were funny as well. I really, really hope this show catches on.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ToastyPotato posted:

I really, really hope this show catches on.

I'm hoping that all the fanart springing up after a mere two episodes is a sign that it has.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I really like their pictures they have hanging on the wall.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Welp, so much for repping Doctor Who.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

DivisionPost posted:

Welp, so much for repping Doctor Who.

You... you abandoned the pose :ohdear:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

404GoonNotFound posted:

You... you abandoned the pose :ohdear:

Yeah, like I'm gonna find somebody in this thread who can draw a reasonably good Mordecai in The Pose. I got lucky in the Doctor Who thread, but now I wanna rep Regular Show for a while and this was the most awesome picture I can find (though I wish I could fit it all in a 125x125 crop)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The text is well done.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Inspector_71 posted:

The text is well done.

Thanks, I...I honestly can't help but laugh every time I read it back to myself. I think it's a little cheesy, but the citation just makes it.

Why the hell am I talking about this?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

What is "the pose?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Y'know, I only have one complaint about the coffee bean episode (other than it scarring my soul forever), and really, it's a complaint that encompasses a lot of things, but since it showed up here most recently, this is where I'm going to talk about it. I'm really tired of shows feeling like they immediately need to establish the "not-gays", to borrow a form of remonstration from Red Letter Media. I mean, in Adventure Time and Regular Show, we almost immediately get hit with the pink love interest character. Why? Will people actually think these characters are gay otherwise? I just don't get why shows and movies seem to be so keen on pointing this out when it's not relevant. "Lady pecs" aside (a joke that will go down in history) she really didn't add anything to the episode. The episode was all about that creepy-rear end coffee bean (stole the show is all I'm saying). It's a show about some best friends who work at a park with a skipping yeti, talking lollipop, and anthropomorphized gumball machine. Are there parents out there, angrily writing e-mails about sausage festivals to network censors? ("Bert and ErnieMordecai and Rigby live in the same house! OH NO!") I mean, the only people who would automatically pin any sexuality on an idiot raccoon and stoner bluejay clearly have problems anyway, and nothing you ever do will convince them otherwise, since people like that are utterly impervious to logic.

It just feels a little... condescending? Like, oh, hello audience, I realize you have never had a real friendship in your life, but did you know that two best friends don't automatically want to jump each other's bones? I was surprised, too! Well, in this case, Mordecai is all about the lady pecs, so he's heterosexual. Stay tuned for next week's episode when we have some random female walk by and we establish the same for all other male characters! ... What? Why do we need to do this? When kids see best friends hanging out, they certainly don't jump to this conclusion. (Do kids even watch CN shows?) Parents who would object to the evil deadly mortal sin of homosexuality probably don't watch RS or let their kids watch RS anyway, and even they wouldn't have any grounds to assume it was there in the first place. Why can't we just watch friends hang out any more without having the show automatically draw out Very Clear Boundaries? It's a bluejay and a raccoon! Just let them play video games in peace! If it's important, then the topic will come up later, not just get shoehorned into an episode that isn't improved by it. (That could have been an entire additional minute of coffee bean footage. Think of the .gifs!)

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Uhh.. I don't think anyone, even the network execs or writers were trying to dispel any notions about them being gay. They're anthropomorphic animals, for Christ's sake. The female red blue jay was just a motivation for Mordecai to keep up with Rigby's crazy concert demands since he said he wasn't into Fistpump in the first place.

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

Pick posted:

:words:

The love interest thing is important, though, because it's the only thing that gets Mordecai to want to go to the concert.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Pick posted:

These giant blocks of text,

Send them to the moon!

Regular Show is still a... well, regular show for the most part. That means having a female character in there somewhere. And what's more regular than the loser stoner twenty something crushing on the coffee girl?

If anything the blend of the regular (coffee girl) with the unexplained and silly (she's a red-breasted robin) is pretty much the whole point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CN has really been putting on some great poo poo lately, Chowder might be the weakest of the bunch of their originals (I'm pretty sure MAD wasn't in-house :v: ), but even they have some good moments, like breaking the poo poo out of the 4th wall.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Pick posted:

The not-gays

I'm not really sure how to respond to this, because it's such a weird thing to take issue with. I understand what you're trying to say, because it happens alot, but I think you're actually sort of looking for things that are oppressing homosexuals, or whatever, where they really aren't.

Moredcai's entire motivation for going to the concert was the girl. Without something driving him, he wouldn't have wanted to go, he wouldn't need to get the VIP tickets, he wouldn't have had to sign that contract, etc... Yes, the motivation really could've been anything, but doing something just to make someone think you're cool is a common thing in TV shows aimed at kids because it's relatable.

In Adventure Time, in the short at least, she was the rincess who needed rescuing. She still needs heroics and such done in the show proper, but I think she's more there to have someone to give Finn adventures to go on. Are you gonna complain about Marceline, too? Because that's less "shoe-horned romance" than it is "young kid hanging out with a cool teenager". I think the closest thing to a gay joke in AT is "Man, that guy is hot. Oh, uh, I don't mean 'sexy' hot." "I think you do mean 'sexy' hot."

Maybe you're right, and i'm just not seeing it, but I think that, until Moredcai or Rigby start doing things more to impress some girl than they do just to one-up each other or whatever, there's anything to complain about.

DJExile posted:

CN has really been putting on some great poo poo lately, Chowder might be the weakest of the bunch of their originals (I'm pretty sure MAD wasn't in-house :v: ), but even they have some good moments, like breaking the poo poo out of the 4th wall.

Haha, that's pretty good. I love John DiMaggio's whole role of sitting there and going "Radda radda".

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 30, 2010

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

octothorpopus posted:

The love interest thing is important, though, because it's the only thing that gets Mordecai to want to go to the concert.

Yup--I think it just re-re-re-established Mordecai as the slightly more mature and intelligent of the two.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Yup--I think it just re-re-re-established Mordecai as the slightly more mature and intelligent of the two.

"Rigby, one day you'll be old enough to figure out why people really go to concerts."

"It's to listen to music, I already know that!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think people assuming that I am claiming that it's "oppressing homosexuals" are completely missing the point, probably deliberately so. I have made it very clear that, if anything, I think it's disrespectful to the concept of platonic friendship. I don't think there's anything suspect about two people being friends, and yet every single show I've started watching immediately pins down character sexualities (straight AND non-straight alike). As for "but otherwise, Mordecai wouldn't have wanted to go to the concert :smug:," you're missing the point that there was little if any plot significance to Mordecai not wanting to go and any number of potential excuses. I just want one--just one!--show in my life that's about friendship that isn't afraid to just show the friendship!

As I also pointed out, RS is hardly alone in this, but it just happens to be the most recent show I picked up watching.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

SlimGoodbody posted:

What is "the pose?"

This. It's a scene from the show Life, I had it as my avatar for a long time, then when I got into Doctor Who I had MokBa draw Matt Smith in the same way, holding Who-specific items.

And I was happy until that bit of fanart Tarantinoed up Mordecai and Rigby.

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

Pick posted:

I think people assuming that I am claiming that it's "oppressing homosexuals" are completely missing the point, probably deliberately so. I have made it very clear that, if anything, I think it's disrespectful to the concept of platonic friendship. I don't think there's anything suspect about two people being friends, and yet every single show I've started watching immediately pins down character sexualities (straight AND non-straight alike). As for "but otherwise, Mordecai wouldn't have wanted to go to the concert :smug:," you're missing the point that there was little if any plot significance to Mordecai not wanting to go and any number of potential excuses. I just want one--just one!--show in my life that's about friendship that isn't afraid to just show the friendship!

As I also pointed out, RS is hardly alone in this, but it just happens to be the most recent show I picked up watching.

They quite obviously and clearly have a platonic friendship. I still don't see how a romantic interest could interfere with it, unless you think Mordecai is going to break up with Rigby or something.

Also, the girl he was after was in less than half of that episode even. :psyduck:

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.

Pick posted:

I think you're analyzing a show where people drink coffee out of a giant anthropomorphic coffee bean's nipples a tad too much.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: ^^^ hahaha much better way of putting it

Pick posted:

Yeah I think you're still reading way too far into this. The girl was hardly in the episode (and winds up taking her boyfriend to the show anyways) and it's never really central to the plot.

I can see what you're getting at, to be sure, but this isn't really one of the stronger examples.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pick posted:

Yeah but platonic friends often have love interests (outside the friendship obviously) too. It's not like the two are mutually exclusive, and saying "No we will never ever do this thing that usually leads to character development of some sort" seems like a poor creative decision.

I think that goes for anything too, not just Regular Show.

Also calling it the "not-gay" comes off as very standoffish with regards to how people respond to you.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 30, 2010

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Pick posted:

I just want one--just one!--show in my life that's about friendship that isn't afraid to just show the friendship!

If anything it's more dishonest to only show the two of them hanging out without women being involved. I'm not sure how you and your friends act, but as of now I can't imagine being around my friends and not having women involved in a romantic way in one way or another.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Dolash posted:

Regular Show is still a... well, regular show for the most part. That means having a female character in there somewhere. And what's more regular than the loser stoner twenty something crushing on the coffee girl?

If anything the blend of the regular (coffee girl) with the unexplained and silly (she's a red-breasted robin) is pretty much the whole point.

Mordecai is Charlie from Always Sunny, just with some extra literacy.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kefkafloyd posted:

Mordecai is Charlie from Always Sunny, just with some extra literacy.

Really? I'd attribute Charlie to Rigby based on his hyperactivity, lack of education, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.

DivisionPost posted:

Really? I'd attribute Charlie to Rigby based on his hyperactivity, lack of education, etc.

Hamboning is Regular Show's equivalent to Bird Law. No one believes them until it saves their lives.

• Locked thread