Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

stingray1381 posted:

http://www.law.gwu.edu/News/newsstories/Pages/2010SpaceLawTeam.aspx

I wish I practiced Space Law. :-(

Her last name is LASER - HOW CAN SHE NOT WIN A SPACE LAW COMPETITION?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ainsley McTree posted:

That brings up an interesting point. Has there ever been a police procedural or cop movie where internal affairs HASN'T been a bunch of weaselly evil bastards? I feel like it must be in the job description or something. I had an internship with the state department of revenue and even their internal affairs guy seemed like a jerkbag.

I'd watch a show where internal affairs were the good guys. Kind of like other side of The Shield, starring someone more likable than Forest Whitaker
Homicide Life on the Streets probably had a better representation of IA than others. I'm not sure they showed up that much though.
They even found out that some cops killed people.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Absolutely no idea if this is the correct place for this, but;

I'm currently learning both Web Design and Accounting, and I wanted to know the legality of freelance work. If i put up signs saying, "Will design website for food", is this considered a business if I'm making money? Do I pay taxes? What if I give myself a name, like 'DEEP WINTER DEEP WEBSITES'?

edit: "This thread is not for legal advice. If you want legal advice, the best thing to do is to contact a lawyer who is licensed to practice where you live or where your problem is. Lawyers can get into a lot of trouble for giving out "free" advice, so don't ask the law goons to do that! If you still really have to ask, post in the legal questions thread or start a separate thread."

Actually I can probably go here. :downs:

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 30, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's not.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I hate LLMs.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

I always thought done right, a miniseries following some kind of big ticket corporate litigation (not class action toxic torts or something like that maybe some sort of soft IP) could be interesting. something like four or five episodes, and without all the miscellaneous poo poo Damages had. I guess I would be the only person who would watch that.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

billion dollar bitch posted:

I hate LLMs.

have sex with them

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I hate LLMs.

Hahaha what? I can't remember what school you're at, and lawgoon bios are no longer in the OP. Where are you?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I'm at CLS. We have like... a hundred LLM's, and environmental law seems to be where they all want to be. So every time the professor asks a question, we get to hear how it is in Israel or the Ukraine or some poo poo like that. It's really annoying. And their accents are atrocious and you can barely understand them. Finally, they're always so pressed with themselves on account of having been A REAL LAWYER in THE OLD COUNTRY when really, if you're so great, why the gently caress do you need an LLM?

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

I'm at CLS. We have like... a hundred LLM's, and environmental law seems to be where they all want to be. So every time the professor asks a question, we get to hear how it is in Israel or the Ukraine or some poo poo like that. It's really annoying. And their accents are atrocious and you can barely understand them. Finally, they're always so pressed with themselves on account of having been A REAL LAWYER in THE OLD COUNTRY when really, if you're so great, why the gently caress do you need an LLM?

this is llm's at any school

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

In NY, an LLM lets you practice without having gone to US law school. All those lawyers in class with you are actually both much better than you at law and very likely to be your competitors as soon as you think about getting a job.

Well, okay, not yours since Columbia is at least okay with BIGLAW. But anyone from Fordham or below reading this could do a lot worse than making friends. I guarantee you all those people have better contacts than you think they do, and they all need people to show up in court for them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I intensely dislike most LLMs since they want to talk about something I don't care about, but more importantly they really want to talk.

(they need an LLM to practice in the US).

Adar posted:

In NY, an LLM lets you practice without having gone to US law school. All those lawyers in class with you are actually both much better than you at law and very likely to be your competitors as soon as you think about getting a job.

I'm not positive but I think LLM's don't participate in Columbia's OCI with the 2L's/3L's so they're not in competition with you that directly.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Dear law school OCPD department.

I understand that in your magical fantasy world, a GS-15 level position is totally an "entry-level" position that new J.D. graduates are qualified for.

However, in the real world, that is not the case. So when I link you to the OPM hiring manual showing that a J.D. qualifies you only for a GS-9 position, and that GS-12 and higher positions are either specialized experience only with no education substitute, or are Ph.D. or post-doc required, why is your response "If you don't like it, unsubscribe from the CareerLink mailing list"?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

evilweasel posted:

I'm not positive but I think LLM's don't participate in Columbia's OCI with the 2L's/3L's so they're not in competition with you that directly.

I think that's how it works for U.Va. as well. The LL.m's had their own career fair, which makes sense since an employer has to be willing to deal with all the visa paperwork and it's better to filter out the firms who don't want to do that in the beginning.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

SWATJester posted:

I understand that in your magical fantasy world, a GS-15 level position is totally an "entry-level" position that new J.D. graduates are qualified for.

However, in the real world, that is not the case. So when I link you to the OPM hiring manual showing that a J.D. qualifies you only for a GS-9 position, and that GS-12 and higher positions are either specialized experience only with no education substitute, or are Ph.D. or post-doc required, why is your response "If you don't like it, unsubscribe from the CareerLink mailing list"?

Jesus that is truly awful. Was that really their response? You should consider forwarding it to ATL or something (that is if you're OK with possibly winding up in the eye of a shitstorm)

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder
Anyone have any experience/opinions on this LEEWS thing? There are flyers for it everywhere and they are making these crazy/desperate claims about how we're guaranteed Bs and will compete for As and all that kind of stuff. I googled a little bit and found mixed reviews that either talked about how expensive it was or about how they did well but they don't know if it was because of their system or not.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I actually meant solo work since that's what basically every NY LLM not at a top whatever winds up doing, but that's irrelevant for however many of you poor bastards actually get jobs.

Everyone else should really be sucking up to them right now, though. The one thing solos who can't appear in court need is poor bastards willing to be the face for 30K. Unlike the rest of you they often actually have the money for that (you don't want to know how, but they do) so make friends now!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Deep Winter posted:

Actually I can probably go here. :downs:

PM me if you have any questions about reporting income. I'd answer here but I took a sick day, and there's no way in hell I'm writing anything work related on a day off.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

SWATJester posted:

When I was a 1L/2L, I think I remember seeing entry-level jobs at GS-11. This was back when the government had money.

Now entry-levels are GS-9, GS-11 requires one year of experience or some scholastic qualification (top 1/3, law review, etc.), and GS-12 requires two years or one year plus scholastic qualification. GS-15 is fantasyland.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
Dear Law Student Goons,

I have a friend who is interested in attending University of La Verve for Law here in southern california.

Now, given what I've read in this thread, I've basically told him that if he's not going to a top 13 school he's just throwing money away on a law education. It also seems like the job market here in california is much worse than it is elsewhere, but that's mostly observation so I don't know if it's true or not.

I guess what I am asking here is what do you guys think of the school and his ability to get a job after graduating with a degree from this place.

Honestly, I am not trolling here, but genuinely asking this question and looking for your tell-it-like-it-is assessment of his situation.

If you need any more information, my friend isn't dead-set on law, but thinks that this is just a fast ticket to getting a job and making "Da Big Buck$"

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Totally Negro posted:

Dear Law Student Goons,

I have a friend who is interested in attending University of La Verve for Law here in southern california.

Now, given what I've read in this thread, I've basically told him that if he's not going to a top 13 school he's just throwing money away on a law education. It also seems like the job market here in california is much worse than it is elsewhere, but that's mostly observation so I don't know if it's true or not.

I guess what I am asking here is what do you guys think of the school and his ability to get a job after graduating with a degree from this place.

Honestly, I am not trolling here, but genuinely asking this question and looking for your tell-it-like-it-is assessment of his situation.

If you need any more information, my friend isn't dead-set on law, but thinks that this is just a fast ticket to getting a job and making "Da Big Buck$"

You can't say "Honestly, I'm not trolling" and still troll. It's against civil decency. Therefore, I will pretend this is a real question.

The answer to your question is almost zero. If your friend somehow manages to be dumb enough to spend $200k (plus lost wages) on a law degree he doesn't really want, have him obtain the current contact information for ULV's recent alumni. Tell him to call, at random, a dozen alumni, and ask a) if they have a job, b) if they do have a job, whether it's a good job, and c) what percentage of their income is being spent on student loans.

Yes, one guy the class probably got some random job at some medium-sized immigration firm and won't die horribly alone in the gutter surrounded by empty Listerine bottles he sucked down in a desperate attempt to numb his pain, but since your friend is dumb enough to consider this law school he's probably too dumb to graduate with a job.

Also ask him if he thinks he can compete with the guys from Stanford and UC Berkeley. Hell, even Stanford and UC Berkeley kids are hard-pressed to find big money jobs.

Edit: Then, if he's still deadset on it, have him find some lengthy (50pg or more) legal briefing or complicated contracts and ask him if he wants to desperately fight for a job writing those documents for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 30 years. The real moment most of us realize they made a mistake is when we read our first 50 page Motion for Partial Summary Judgment re Cross Claim's Interest Rate Start Date.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 1, 2010

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's not even fully accredited, your friend is stupid.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

stingray1381 posted:

http://www.law.gwu.edu/News/newsstories/Pages/2010SpaceLawTeam.aspx

I wish I practiced Space Law. :-(
A partner in my office practices space law. I'm in a different practice group though. :-(

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Neko Sou posted:

LEEWS ... we're guaranteed Bs
Bs are common fare, so guaranteed Bs aren't the best thing to throw money at. As far as I am aware, LEEWS gives you at least a base line for how to take a law school test (I have not taken LEEWS). It's probably just as helpful as one of the other 0L supplements about how to take LS exams - it really depends on several individual factors that dictates how useful the takeaway is. And even then, there's only so much it can teach. All of that said, I picked up Getting to Maybe because I want to feel like I earned my B and I feel confident that I will be flying solidly in the middle of the pack!

Totally Negro posted:

Now, given what I've read in this thread, I've basically told him that if he's not going to a top 13 school he's just throwing money away on a law education.
Ha ha, yeah, gently caress Georgetown and their lovely U.S.Neohgodwhydidn'ttheyacceptme?

BigHead posted:

The real moment most of us realize they made a mistake is when we read our first 50 page Motion for Partial Summary Judgment re Cross Claim's Interest Rate Start Date
When are those handed out?

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
BigHead and diospadre, thanks for the answers. Really appreciate them.

BigHead I am just going to straight forward your post to him if you don't mind.

Since I am here, do any socal goons have advice for finding a job in the area? Reason I ask is because my brother is interested in law school, but smarter than your average bear (Lol he went to berkeley) and given that he goes to a school like UCBerk or Stanford, how hard is it really to find a decent paying job? We're not talking big money job here, but just any job?

BigHead, also, do you think this climate will change anytime in the near future, or is the field of law semi-permanently hosed (i.e. at least for the next few decades).

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Totally Negro posted:

BigHead and diospadre, thanks for the answers. Really appreciate them.

BigHead I am just going to straight forward your post to him if you don't mind.

Since I am here, do any socal goons have advice for finding a job in the area? Reason I ask is because my brother is interested in law school, but smarter than your average bear (Lol he went to berkeley) and given that he goes to a school like UCBerk or Stanford, how hard is it really to find a decent paying job? We're not talking big money job here, but just any job?

BigHead, also, do you think this climate will change anytime in the near future, or is the field of law semi-permanently hosed (i.e. at least for the next few decades).

It is permanently hosed for that bottom of the toilet school he's considering. I think job prospects will get markedly better for... oh... probably the 30 or 40 top universities, but he's literally considering the worst of the worst. He would literally be better off if he took out a loan for $200k and burned it, because then people at non-law jobs - which I guarantee he will try to get after graduation because no law firm will hire him - won't think he's "overqualified" when really he's just trying to stave off bankruptcy, starvation and suicide.

We're not kidding when we say this, we're not trolling, and we're not being overly dramatic. A lot of people way smarter than him are unemployed. Remember California is pumping out several times more law school graduates than there are openings in California each year. How many DAs and PDs do you think the state hires when it can't afford to pay the electricity bill in schools? Someone with more knowledge of the issue can tell you that job candidates for government jobs work for YEARS for free, hoping some day their turn in line will come, and they will be paid $35k/yr for poo poo work.

The one bright side though, if he goes to that school, he'll be too poor to become an alcoholic or coke head, like the rest of us have become.

As for your brother, if he goes to Stanford or UCBerk, there is still a non-zero chance he's going to end up poor and homeless (remember we're not kidding about that), but his chances of landing a job are pretty decent.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 1, 2010

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Totally Negro posted:

The fact he went to Berkeley for ugrad means nothig for law schools. And are you talking decent lawyer job in SoCal? And if so, honestly SoCal is too broad because the LA, OC and SD markets are pretty different. OC and SD have some parallels but still there are some big differences. Can he find a good gig down there? Sure - go to a T14 and do well, or go to a SoCal school and do very well then throw a hail mary and see if something comes up. I have no idea where the market will be 3 or 4 years from now, whenever he goes, but there's a lot of ins and outs and what-have-yous no matter what.

EDIT: When I say SoCal school I mean something accredited and above T2. I do not mean whatever place you were talking about.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 1, 2010

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Second Round OCI results: 1 lottery interview, 1 alternate

:negative:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Re: SoCal. I'll repeat what I said upthread.

My husband worked for Los Angeles county *FOR FREE* for most of his stay at LLS. He's still unemployed, despite his excellent work and long hours worked FOR FREE. We're separated for economic reasons. We're not homeless yet but it's looking that way soon.

I mean jesus. Don't loving go!

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
Add to the OP that doing DOJ SLIP, best intern, and stellar reviews is still not enough for the honor's program when you go to a T2.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

University of La Verne College of Law

http://www.avvo.com/stats/school_detail/university-of-la-verne-college-of-law-629

Look at the employment breakdown:

~ 25% doing Employment/Labor (read: workers comp and slip and falls)
~ 25% doing "other" (read: McDonalds or cooking meth in their mom's kitchen in the 909)

I mean, the site may or may not be accurate - but La Verne does have a 58% bar pass rate. And it's in the middle of Ontario.

Seriously, why here? Go to Southwestern and get involved with all the LA City Attorneys.

Incredulous Red fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 1, 2010

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

blar posted:

Add to the OP that doing DOJ SLIP, best intern, and stellar reviews is still not enough for the honor's program when you go to a T2.

Judging by what people here have told me, its not enough for when you go to a top 5 either, so don't feel bad.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I've never seen Boston Legal. Is it funny?

one episode revolves around a cat in a coma, being kept alive in a hospital bed, on a ventilator. while his owners fight a schiavo-esque battle over whether to pull the plug

it is the greatest of shows

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Boston Legal is mostly about touching penises when you pee with another guy from what I my girlfriend forced me to watch.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcVDmX4ho4

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

diospadre posted:

Boston Legal is mostly about touching penises when you pee with another guy from what I my girlfriend forced me to watch.

If you can't appreciate their platonic manlove there's something wrong with you just fyi

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

hypocrite lecteur posted:

If you can't appreciate their platonic manlove there's something wrong with you just fyi

This is so true, and not even in a Lykourgos sort of way.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Business posted:

Jesus that is truly awful. Was that really their response? You should consider forwarding it to ATL or something (that is if you're OK with possibly winding up in the eye of a shitstorm)

I've forwarded to ATL in the past and got called on it by the dean. If I already had my bar admission, I'd consider it, but I don't want to do anything until then.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Fun fact: Alaska's version of Rudy Giuliani doesn't just pack heat, he packs a loving assault rifle. Dude has four guns (that I saw) in his office. Two huntin' rifles, one hand gun for protection, and one assault rifle "just 'cause."

Therefore, Alaska is superior Denny Crain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

BigHead posted:

Fun fact: Alaska's version of Rudy Giuliani doesn't just pack heat, he packs a loving assault rifle. Dude has four guns (that I saw) in his office. Two huntin' rifles, one hand gun for protection, and one assault rifle "just 'cause."

Therefore, Alaska is superior Denny Crain.

I think it's a tie

http://videosift.com/video/Denny-Crane-for-President?loadcomm=1