Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Transactional/tax guys have higher billable rates and generally lower hour expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Up here tax and IP tend to have much lower billable requirements. And I mean low, like 1500.

Usually those guys are the prosecutors though, and that poo poo blows. IP litigation tends to be pretty heavy on hours.

As for the crackhead's earlier question, NOTHING is negotiable as an associate at a big firm: you take what they want to give you, or the next 100 people in line do. You're not bringing anything remotely unique enough for them to give a poo poo about you enough to make an accommodation.

That said, there are several (primarily DC) firms that have a split between 1800 and 1950 billable hours requirements for associates. You might want to check that out. Oh, but guess what the opinion of, job security, and advancement possibilities are for the loving slackers 1800 tier?

In other news, I've been talking over the prospect of quitting my job and moving to a small town in the south to open up a solo practice. Comedy is guaranteed to ensue.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Mookie posted:

In other news, I've been talking over the prospect of quitting my job and moving to a small town in the south to open up a solo practice. Comedy is guaranteed to ensue.

Who will be playing the straight man to Mookie's Cousin Vinny? Taking applications now!

HooKars posted:

Isn't Northwestern known for taking work into account and tends to like older people with work experience more than other schools? If you're set on going, I would add them to your list of reaches and hope they really like your work experience enough to overlook your GPA. No idea if there are any T1s that work similarly to Northwestern.

Unless his work experience is along the lines of "former U.S. Senator", he ain't getting in to NW with a 3.0/166 no matter how much they may claim they value work experience.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 4, 2010

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Mookie posted:

Are you going to buy a bowling alley?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mookie posted:

Go to Kerrville, Texas to be a lawyer/private eye.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Up here tax and IP tend to have much lower billable requirements. And I mean low, like 1500.
I'm in IP, and its 2100 like everyone else.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 30, 2013

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stop posted:

Is it immoral to apply to a law school just to get 20 free Itune songs

Immoral? Hardly. It is the only reason to apply!

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Stop posted:

Is it immoral to apply to a law school just to get 20 free Itune songs

You do have a fee waiver right?

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stop posted:

Yep, with LSAC's fee of $12, it's more like 8 free songs.

Still owns!!!

We have now discovered the only reason to apply to law school.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Linguica posted:

Obviously the solution is more lawyers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

today, I discovered that texas law needed to explicitly spell out to jails that they are not permitted to force inmates to participate (as the targets, obviously) in training dogs to attack people (Tex. Gov't Code § 501.021 )

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is basically the only anti-abusing inmates section in the entirety of texas law, it's probably legal to use prisoners for target practice as long as no dogs are involved

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

poofactory posted:

I think this is a fine idea. If not actually making people lawyers, giving them just enough of a legal education to teach people what the system's really about and what goes into a legal decision, especially appeals. Then I wouldn't get stupid questions like whether Phelps' protests at funerals are free speech or not. People don't seem to appreciate "it depends" as an answer.

evilweasel posted:

today, I discovered that texas law needed to explicitly spell out to jails that they are not permitted to force inmates to participate (as the targets, obviously) in training dogs to attack people (Tex. Gov't Code § 501.021 )

But isn't that how it usually goes? Seems the majority of the time human decency has to be either legislated or clarified through judicial review.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

IrritationX posted:

I think this is a fine idea. If not actually making people lawyers, giving them just enough of a legal education to teach people what the system's really about and what goes into a legal decision, especially appeals. Then I wouldn't get stupid questions like whether Phelps' protests at funerals are free speech or not. People don't seem to appreciate "it depends" as an answer.

The country would be much better off if there were two mandatory semester-long courses in high school:

1) Personal finance, and
2) Basics of the US legal system.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

IrritationX posted:

But isn't that how it usually goes? Seems the majority of the time human decency has to be either legislated or clarified through judicial review.

There only other explicit protections in that section was the token anti-discrimination section and I think maybe that you had to actually feed and clothe the prisoners.

also, human decency in texas law, that's a good one

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

this is basically the only anti-abusing inmates section in the entirety of texas law, it's probably legal to use prisoners for target practice as long as no dogs are involved

It's not about the inmates, it wouldn't be fair to the dogs.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

poofactory posted:

When you think of all the possible jobs that could exist in the US, 1/3 of 1% being lawyers is pretty drat huge. Put 300 people in the same room, and see whether you find a nuclear physicist or a skydiving instructor, or a hurricane hunter pilot, etc.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

I'm actually looking at a corporate job that would be better lifestyle-wise with some law firm jobs as fallbacks, it's just looking like one of the law firm jobs may come to fruition well before the corporate job and I'm going to have to make a really tough choice about things.

If you are already worried about lawfirm lifestyle, I'd hold out for something else if you at all possibly can. There's still pressure to bill, even if you have a lower number to meet, and they make expect you to be quite a bit above the minimum regardless. Plus there is pressure to bring in clients, which takes up additional time if you're expected to do that.

I was stuck in law firms for 5 years, and never had a set hour goal to meet. I still hated it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mookie posted:

Stock up on Seersucker.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Mookie posted:

Usually those guys are the prosecutors though, and that poo poo blows. IP litigation tends to be pretty heavy on hours.

As for the crackhead's earlier question, NOTHING is negotiable as an associate at a big firm: you take what they want to give you, or the next 100 people in line do. You're not bringing anything remotely unique enough for them to give a poo poo about you enough to make an accommodation.

That said, there are several (primarily DC) firms that have a split between 1800 and 1950 billable hours requirements for associates. You might want to check that out. Oh, but guess what the opinion of, job security, and advancement possibilities are for the loving slackers 1800 tier?

If you're not white, fix that. Also, bourbon. Lots of it.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

gvibes posted:

I'm in IP, and its 2100 like everyone else.

I used to be in biglaw IP litigation and at a "nice Midwestern firm" where the listed requirement was 1800 hours, they sat us down on day one and said "you bill 2000"

Also, hours in prosecution are brutal in their own way because of how tightly budgeted most applications are.

OptimistPrime fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 4, 2010

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
I came here to post a scathing critique of GULC's evening program, but now I'm too drunk and give no more fucks. Suffice it to say, I'm officially disappointed in how it's been administered and will eventually spell out why for, at least I'd hope, inclusion into the OP.

I think as a minimum, prospective evening students should see if their schools even have a semblance of a regular evening faculty, or compare syllabi to see if there've been any dramatic changes in the quantity and quality of evening course offerings compared to the day program.

P.S. We're charged more per credit than the daytime students. Why? Because "we had budgetary shortfalls" according to an official response.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Linguica posted:

more lawyers should be cartoonists imo

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

dividebyzero posted:

I came here to post a scathing critique of GULC's evening program, but now I'm too drunk and give no more fucks. Suffice it to say, I'm officially disappointed in how it's been administered and will eventually spell out why for, at least I'd hope, inclusion into the OP.

I think as a minimum, prospective evening students should see if their schools even have a semblance of a regular evening faculty, or compare syllabi to see if there've been any dramatic changes in the quantity and quality of evening course offerings compared to the day program.

P.S. We're charged more per credit than the daytime students. Why? Because "we had budgetary shortfalls" according to an official response.

I like any school that took a shot at me and let me in so I root for GULC, but how do you think there's a budget shortfall when the student body is so big?

Unrelated: Took the offer at the SoCal place I was talking about.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 5, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dividebyzero posted:

You get to keep a job.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

dividebyzero posted:

Evening programs are cash cows for law schools, it's like having a Thomas M. Cooley law school attached to your regular law school.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Upon looking at the course offerings for my final semester: "It doesn't loving matter, it's all going to suck."

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

OptimistPrime posted:

Also, hours in prosecution are brutal in their own way because of how tightly budgeted most applications are.
Seriously. 30 hours to write an application gets really tight when you're dealing with anything remotely complicated. That and you lose a lot of time constantly switching between matters.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

quote:

Senior U.S. District Judge Jack Camp Jr. has been charged with posession of cocaine, marijuana and the painkiller roxycodone, according to court documents. He is also charged with posessing a firearm as an unlawful user of controlled substances and with aiding and abetting the posession of drugs by the stripper. . .
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/04/georgia.judge.arrested/index.html?hpt=T2

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dividebyzero posted:

I'm really sorry to hear this. You should send an email to the Student Bar Association, especially the evening student representative.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

nm posted:

Stock up on Seersucker.

You think I didn't do that from the last time I worked in the South? Incidentally, that's also where I learned how to tie a bow tie, bought my first pair of white bucks, and considered (but ultimately decided against) a straw boater hat.

Oh yes, I am ready for the south.

The Warszawa posted:

If you're not white, fix that. Also, bourbon. Lots of it.

Corn liquor is even better. I was in moonshine country.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Mookie posted:

If it's in Mississippi make sure you holla at ya boy.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

quepasa18 posted:

I was stuck in law firms for 5 years, and never had a set hour goal to meet. I still hated it.
This is pretty much where I'm at now, although I'm not quite to the 5-year mark yet. I've also considered saying to hell with it and opening up my own practice (which could actually do quite well, provided I get the needed people on board), but that's little more than a pipe dream at this point.

But yeah I think that's probably the last I'll say about this because somehow I don't feel like discussing my career plans on a public message board in detail is such a good idea. :)

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Just coming in here to tell everyone that I am excited for the law school exam this week. I first posted in here when I was worried about my initial 141 practice LSAT score. In true Goon legal fashion, everyone told me to kill myself or change professions, I kept at it and now am scoring a constant 170-173 in my practice LSATs.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

Just coming in here to tell everyone that I am excited for the law school exam this week. I first posted in here when I was worried about my initial 141 practice LSAT score. In true Goon legal fashion, everyone told me to kill myself or change professions, I kept at it and now am scoring a constant 170-173 in my practice LSATs.

So who's got 155 in the pool?

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Enigma89 posted:

I scored constant 172s-175s on my practice tests and still ended up at a T1 (underemployed). Be careful.