Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Morphix posted:

Article mentions the Cayman style front grill. I kind of like it...it reminds me of the older beetle designs, but it looks too big.

Yeah, much like the Panamera, it kind of looks too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I could live with the styling for the most part, but I think there's two things wrong:
- the car culture norm of today doesn't allow much market for a true Beetle-like vehicle -- a no-frills, super cheap car.
- that the design is so desperately trying to visually harken back to the original, and yet still failing miserably. That C-pillar is pure style and no function, for example.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It just somehow looks off to me. The current one looks hideous but at least seems relatively coherent to me.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It just somehow looks off to me. The current one looks hideous but at least seems relatively coherent to me.

Probably because the front bumper (and possibly the rear as well) has another stuck over the top as camouflage.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That side profile shot reminded me of the shape of the Crossfire! Not sure if that's good.
Looks like they made the engine bay bigger, heard the current one is a pain to work on.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

I could live with the styling for the most part, but I think there's two things wrong:
- the car culture norm of today doesn't allow much market for a true Beetle-like vehicle -- a no-frills, super cheap car.
- that the design is so desperately trying to visually harken back to the original, and yet still failing miserably. That C-pillar is pure style and no function, for example.

You know, I wonder if car consumers wouldn't go for a cheap no frills car if all the car review media didn't immediately poo poo on the car. I think for the most part, once people are shopping for a cheap car their number one concern is reliability. Their are plenty of cheap no frills reliable cars that have come and gone that may have not done that great BUT the thing is when the average shopper of a car starts to try and research one of this stripped out models only thing they're going to see is "this car sucks omg" and they will stop there. They won't bother reading further to find out the reviewer says the car sucks because it still has crank windows. In my own world that is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Probably because the front bumper (and possibly the rear as well) has another stuck over the top as camouflage.

Well yeah, that probably doesn't help, but I was looking more at the non-camouflaged part.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I thought the proto-Beetle looked like a melding of the New Beetle with a TT.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Coredump posted:

You know, I wonder if car consumers wouldn't go for a cheap no frills car if all the car review media didn't immediately poo poo on the car. I think for the most part, once people are shopping for a cheap car their number one concern is reliability. Their are plenty of cheap no frills reliable cars that have come and gone that may have not done that great BUT the thing is when the average shopper of a car starts to try and research one of this stripped out models only thing they're going to see is "this car sucks omg" and they will stop there. They won't bother reading further to find out the reviewer says the car sucks because it still has crank windows. In my own world that is.
On this side of the pond, we get things like the Toyota Aygo and similar, which is exactly what you're looking for.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
About that wacky Lambo concept, http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/04/driving-force-lamborghini-and-callaway-golf-collaborate-on-new/

quote:

Whereas conventional carbon fiber is layered down in sheets and bonded together, Forged Composite comes mixed together in a paste of fibers and epoxy that can be squeezed into any shape desired. The application makes it far easier to form complex shapes, and since the fibers come out oriented randomly, the resulting form is apparently stronger in every which direction, instead of fixed ones like in conventional layered sheet carbon.
And closeup pic of the seat: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/lamborghini-sesto-elemento-concept-in-detail/#3418943

So is this like fiberglass but with carbon fibers? (or perhaps "carbon fiberglass" if you like Wheel of Fortune)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

japtor posted:

About that wacky Lambo concept, http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/04/driving-force-lamborghini-and-callaway-golf-collaborate-on-new/

And closeup pic of the seat: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/lamborghini-sesto-elemento-concept-in-detail/#3418943

So is this like fiberglass but with carbon fibers? (or perhaps "carbon fiberglass" if you like Wheel of Fortune)

That should make it cheaper to make more of the car from composites, since it sounds like they'll be able to automate more of the process, rather than having to hand lay everything.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That should make it cheaper to make more of the car from composites, since it sounds like they'll be able to automate more of the process, rather than having to hand lay everything.
This is a very exciting technology! I look forward to the day I can afford carbon fiber wheels :D

eames
May 9, 2009

A Mini-Van. Picture says it all. :negative:
2013, 5 seats, FWD, will presumably share a platform with the Countryman.

eames fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 6, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

eames posted:

Picture says it all. :negative:

Is laughing an appropriate response?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

eames posted:

It's pretty ugly but you can't really fault a company that aims to make a fuel efficient minivan with good handling, even if it's only for being crazy enough to try.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
That is shockingly offensive

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SwashedBuckles posted:

It's pretty ugly but you can't really fault a company that aims to make a fuel efficient minivan with good handling, even if it's only for being crazy enough to try.

I can and will, just watch me!
Even if someone pulled up in the latest Mini John Cooper Factory Skunkworks SS-R that could blow the doors off anything short of a Koenigsegg I would just point my thumb at this monstrosity with a look on my face that could only be described as "I'd rather walk".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

"Fancy a ride in my Panamera?"
"Why yes, I rather would! And might I say, what a handsome motor it is sir, does credit to the Porsche brand!"
"Yes, it rather does, if only other automobile makers could expand their brand with such style and grace"
*throws derisive look over at Mini*
"too true"
*retches in a culvert also having looked over at Mini*

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Linedance posted:

Is laughing an appropriate response?

I don't know, but that is exactly the response that I had.

And I say this as a person that appreciates minivans and the utility and space that they offer.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Christ, that is just about the ugliest motor vehicle this side of an aztek.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

phew! Thank god it's just a press render!
http://jalopnik.com/5656941/a-mini-minivan

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Screw you haters, I would drive it.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

eames posted:

They should rename it a mini-bus and have only a yellow paint scheme.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Coredump posted:

Screw you haters, I would drive it.

Yeah that thing crosses right on in to Owns territory.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It's not cab-forward or boxy enough, just copy the VW minibus :colbert:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

eames posted:

Looks like an Audi A2, only much uglier. It was a nice car.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

The Third Man posted:

That is shockingly offensive

I hope whoever made that render was either laughing the whole time or just loving around with PS on the can.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bidikyoopi posted:

I hope whoever made that render was either laughing the whole time or just loving around with PS on the can.

I think it was a "Hay guys watch this!" moment.

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

Dr JonboyG posted:

Don't know how I feel about that. Porsche doesn't really have any business in F1. They've tried it a couple of times in the past but it's not in the firm's DNA the way sportscar racing is. Audi would be a much better fit, but since Audi are pinning everything on TDi they won't leave prototypes and that means Porsche can't enter.

What?

Porsche was in F1 for 4 years[83-87](The 1991 Footwork Literally never existed, we shall not speak of that..that...thing) and took two constructors championships, 3 driver titles, and managed to win 25 races. I think they should be in the sport.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

japtor posted:

It's not cab-forward or boxy enough, just copy the VW minibus :colbert:
Yeah, like VW did themselves for a concept. A decade ago.

Although I still find the micro-microbus bodykits for Japanese vans to be very :nyoron: :

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=22547

Jaguar C-X75: A new XJ220, powered by electricity generated by gas turbines???!!

I know it's just a concept but drat, could you imagine the sound of one of these flying past, the whirr of electric motors, the hiss and whistle of two tiny turbines? Little children's jaws would drop. Hell, my jaw would drop! If it ever does end up in production in some form, no doubt it will end up just like the XJ220, with a completely different drivetrain.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Jaguar don't make anything interesting these days because it doesn't behoove them to. They make cars for American dentists who call them "jawg-wars" and for fat blokes from Sheffield who ask if you've seen "me new Jag outside" and talk about the good trade in price they got for the Mondeo that preceeded it.

I shot a corporate video once in Leeds or Sheffield (all the same to me) and it had one guy off Phoenix Nights and a local radio personality and all they did was compare the £ value of their "Jag" and "beemer" and now much they'd saved on it.

The north :(

echoplex fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 10, 2010

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Although I still find the micro-microbus bodykits for Japanese vans to be very :nyoron: :
Yeah something more like that...anyone know if those would pass safety regulations these days? I remember Mini tweaked something with the current generation's design to pass some pedestrian safety thing in Europe.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

echoplex posted:

Jaguar don't make anything interesting these days because it doesn't behoove them to. They make cars for American dentists who call them "jawg-wars" and for fat blokes from Sheffield who ask if you've seen "me new Jag outside" and talk about the good trade in price they got for the Mondeo that preceeded it.

I shot a corporate video once in Leeds or Sheffield (all the same to me) and it had one guy off Phoenix Nights and a local radio personality and all they did was compare the £ value of their "Jag" and "beemer" and now much they'd saved on it.

The north :(

you could make the same criticism about them when they came out with the XJ220.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Linedance posted:

you could make the same criticism about them when they came out with the XJ220.

Yeah, they tried doing something interesting and then no-one bought them, so lesson learned there.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

echoplex posted:

Yeah, they tried doing something interesting and then no-one bought them, so lesson learned there.

Well they also said it was gonna have a V12 and then it didn't.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hog Obituary posted:

Well they also said it was gonna have a V12 and then it didn't.

And launched it just as the global economy went south.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

And launched it just as the global economy went south.

And they didn't sell them in North America from what I recall.

Lazareth
Dec 28, 2004
haha, i'm not an '05, take that!
http://jalopnik.com/5660934/scion-fr+s-is-the-new-toyota-ft+86 Soo much fail.

Basically the Toyota/Subaru project the FT-86 is looking like its gonna be a Scion, and the Subaru version may not be available stateside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Next they'll strap 800lb worth of stupid poo poo on it and make it FWD.