Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/09/27/hash-tag-operawesome

Today's build fixes the broken middle-mouse panning, and adds the option for on-demand loading of plugins (Flash just shows an icon until you click on it). No known issues (yet) as far as I know.

[edit] Apparently you could already do the Flashblock thing in earlier builds but you had to know about it in opera:config.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

This middle click regression crap is making me rage. I just want my middle click paste to work like it used to.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Two questions:

1) Where are my Opera bookmarks stored?

2) I have two Opera bookmark folders: one from the alpha/beta, and one from the final, stable version. How do I merge the two to keep both bookmarks?

I'm sad to say that I'm probably finally leaving Opera, because it keeps loving up my saved bookmarks, which is the most important browser feature for me. I just did a reinstall after a failed drive, and while I still retain access to my old bookmarks, I shudder at the thought of what would have happened if I didn't have a physical back-up of my bookmarks.

I used to love Opera, but their forums have never been of any help, and I don't feel the bookmark sync love. :smith:

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

ufarn posted:

Two questions:

2) I have two Opera bookmark folders: one from the alpha/beta, and one from the final, stable version. How do I merge the two to keep both bookmarks?

I'm sad to say that I'm probably finally leaving Opera, because it keeps loving up my saved bookmarks, which is the most important browser feature for me. I just did a reinstall after a failed drive, and while I still retain access to my old bookmarks, I shudder at the thought of what would have happened if I didn't have a physical back-up of my bookmarks.

I used to love Opera, but their forums have never been of any help, and I don't feel the bookmark sync love. :smith:

Why don't you set up an account with Opera Sync? It will sync your bookmarks, kinda like Xmarks. That's what I do to keep everything in line on multiple machines.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I don't really understand why you're not using Link either or why it's not working for you but to answer your question it looks like the bookmarks are in:

C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\bookmarks.adr

or more generally

%APPDATA%\Opera\Opera\bookmarks.adr

or at least that's what I assume by the name :)

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
Does anybody else have a problem with scrollbars not showing up in the last couple versions of Opera after restoring from a maximized window? I went through opera:config and toggled "Show Scrollbars" on and off, trying it both ways, but no luck. I'm using the standard skin too, nothing crazy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Startacus posted:

Why don't you set up an account with Opera Sync? It will sync your bookmarks, kinda like Xmarks. That's what I do to keep everything in line on multiple machines.
It was set up. Hence my dissatisfaction.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

ufarn posted:

It was set up. Hence my dissatisfaction.

That's weird, is it just not backing up your bookmarks? I've never had any issues with Link, it's always worked flawlessly.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Startacus posted:

That's weird, is it just not backing up your bookmarks? I've never had any issues with Link, it's always worked flawlessly.
I have a lot of bookmarks, so I didn't check up on it too much, but, like now, I find myself in a situation where the bookmarks turn out not to have been synced. It's the reason I have two bookmark collections to merge in the first place.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

ufarn posted:

Two questions:

shouldn't importing/merging bookmarks through the "manage bookmarks" panel be pretty straightforward? I've done it a thousand times before opera sync.

hell, opera sync manages to catch everything I throw at it even from opera mini on my android phone and two other machines that are currently synced. I have a lot of bookmarks too but I'm guessing yours is pretty crazy?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

thrawn86 posted:

I'm guessing yours is pretty crazy?
He messed with alpha/beta versions and combined them with main releases and is now crying that things break. He's exactly the kind of person the huge red warnings are there for.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
In fairness, there are lots of points in time where the alpha/beta builds are 100% stable and there's no reason at all not to be using them (such as the build right now).

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I have had Opera Sync trash my bookmarks on several occasions, and I am a confirmed no Alpha/Beta Opera user.

It might be stable now, but the current release of Opera has some bugs (Quicktime controls) that have not been fixed for a year.

Opera has not been particularly good about stuff for the last year: randomly breaking stuff that worked in previous releases, not fixing outstanding bugs before releasing a new point release, etc.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
They rushed the heck out of 10.6 for that Windows 7 EU Browser Choice thing and they've pretty well only now recovered, sadly. That said I don't know why they're still mucking around with the 10.6 branch (10.63 rc 2 today) when the 10.7 weekly is at least as stable and compatible as 10.60 was.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
I actually have a problem with sync duplicating my bookmarks, which gets kind of annoying.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

thegreatcodfish posted:

I actually have a problem with sync duplicating my bookmarks, which gets kind of annoying.

Yeah ten copies of every bookmark gets really old really fast.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i wish you could just drag pictures from opera into windows explorer to save them like in any other normal browser

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Bonus posted:

i wish you could just drag pictures from opera into windows explorer to save them like in any other normal browser

That sounds like a terribly useless feature. Why can't you right click save-as?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bonus posted:

That works for me, I tried it just now.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

feld posted:

That sounds like a terribly useless feature. Why can't you right click save-as?

By that logic, why have a graphical interface at all?

Dragging is easy one step. Right-click, then navigate to a folder is a pain in the rear end.

(Drag works on Mac, but it breaks sometimes. Usually restarting Opera fixes it.)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Lakitu7 posted:

In fairness, there are lots of points in time where the alpha/beta builds are 100% stable and there's no reason at all not to be using them (such as the build right now).

They are, i use them myself. Nevertheless it is just plain dumb to use them and then complain when things break randomly. You only get to complain about that when you stick to main releases, period.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Mithaldu posted:

They are, i use them myself. Nevertheless it is just plain dumb to use them and then complain when things break randomly. You only get to complain about that when you stick to main releases, period.

You get to complain about snapshots as long as you submit bug reports at the same time.

soylent_green
Nov 6, 2004

We're not going to Guam, are we?
Is there anyway to change that godawful font on speed dial? And does the latest release still have the address bar 'auto-complete' still broken and useless?

My wife and I are both sticking with 10.10 for linux. It sounds like the releases since then have been borked in one way or another :(

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

kapalama posted:

By that logic, why have a graphical interface at all?

Dragging is easy one step. Right-click, then navigate to a folder is a pain in the rear end.

(Drag works on Mac, but it breaks sometimes. Usually restarting Opera fixes it.)

how is that faster? You're navigating to a folder, opening to a diff window, and resizing both the browser and that window so you can drag? Or not resizing, but dragging down to the bar, hovering over the stupid app, and then waiting for it to pop up so you can release the click in that window?

unless you have 2 monitors this is a pain in the rear end. and it wouldn't be useful if you need to save many pictures.

sounds to me like you have a bad case of Dragon'Drop.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

thegreatcodfish posted:

This is easily fixed. Just log into my.opera.com and look for the Opera Link menu at top. There's a duplicate bookmark removal tool there.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

feld posted:

how is that faster? You're navigating to a folder, opening to a diff window, and resizing both the browser and that window so you can drag? Or not resizing, but dragging down to the bar, hovering over the stupid app, and then waiting for it to pop up so you can release the click in that window?

unless you have 2 monitors this is a pain in the rear end. and it wouldn't be useful if you need to save many pictures.

sounds to me like you have a bad case of Dragon'Drop.
how can you not understand that this is a useful feature? if you have a folder already open and want to save an image from opera to it, you just drag it there, its literally one click. contrast that to right click, save as, navigate to folder, click save button.

Steve Moore: are you sure? im on windows 7 and when i drag, it creates a link to the URL of that image, it doesn't save the image.

edit: also yeah i have two monitors

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 10, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Looks like it doesn't work for me on Windows 7 either, but when it did work for me it was on my work computer (Windows 2000). Using 10.62 in both cases.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

This is easily fixed. Just log into my.opera.com and look for the Opera Link menu at top. There's a duplicate bookmark removal tool there.

You are awesome, thanks.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/10/11/websockets

New build today has a bunch of little fixes to the rendering engine and the notes say that any regressions should be in Unite and Widgets (ie this build is probably safe to use if you don't give a crap about Unite or Widgets).

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Does anyone know of a form filler that works with Opera? Roboform currently only works with Firefox, IE, and Chrome.

I sign up for a lot of contests and things, a form filler would save me a lot of time.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Have you tried the stuff under the Forms tab in Preferences?

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Thanks, sorry for bumping for something I could have found with 30 seconds of effort =/

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Druggachusettes posted:

Thanks, sorry for bumping for something I could have found with 30 seconds of effort =/

Yeah, Opera can do that

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Opera 11 will have extensions.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

It's about loving time. I'd love to see them set up some sort of formal specification based on standards that other browsers can adapt, but somehow I expect that other browsers would just ignore such a thing.

Interestingly, "The upcoming Opera 11 alpha will be based on the current Opera 10.70 builds, which also means we will not ship a 10.70 final."

greatant
Oct 17, 2003

How do you guys think the new extensions will fit together with the current userjs? There's gonna be a bit of crossover in functionality.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

greatant posted:

How do you guys think the new extensions will fit together with the current userjs? There's gonna be a bit of crossover in functionality.

UserJS will continue being "extensions for specific web pages", while extensions will be "extensions for the whole browser".

Widgets will continue to be "Dumb useless poo poo that no-one uses"

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Marginally more info (promises) here:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/361936/opera-speeds-up-mobile-adds-extensions-to-pc-browser

quote:

"With this addition, users will be able to customise Opera even more," said Krogh, showing off extensions for Reddit and Wikipedia.

He promised the new extensions wouldn't slow down the speedy browser, a side effect infamous in Mozilla's Firefox. "When we chose an extensions technology we chose one that's not as heavy-weight as Mozilla's," he said, saying it was more like what Google's Chrome uses. "Opera is more resource careful."

The extensions can be developed using CSS3, HTML5 and JavaScript, as well as supported APIs. The new extensions do not mean the death of Opera's widgets, however. “Widgets are going to continue,” and live side-by-side with extensions, CTO Hakon Lie Wium said.

However, they will be not be exclusive Opera widgets, but evolve into WC3 widgets usable across the web. “There will be a specification finalised in the not so distant future," Lie Wium added. "We think apps should be written using web standards.”

Opera would like to see other vendors follow suit. "We think extensions are ripe for standardisation, we’d like to work with other vendors to make sure they become a true part of the web,” he said.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I just hope they do this right: securely with as little crashing and other shenanigans as possible. This whole thing seems like a gambit to appeal to people who would use Opera but like Firefox's extensions too much to move (I've seen lots of people online say pretty much that). With any luck, it'll payoff with higher market share.

On a side note, I'm hoping hardware acceleration comes into play with 11. Looks like the phones are getting it so here's hoping.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
New build today but it's pretty trivial. The better news is that the next build will be 11.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/10/15/font-fixes-for-nix-the-last-10-70-build

Also
07:28 <opvard> There might be more new stuff than just extensions in the first Opera 11 alpha build for desktop