Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Atelier Rorona is pretty great. I love moe bullshit. Here's hoping to a Travis Touchdown smiley soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

al-azad posted:

Gold Box

Hell yes, the Gold Box games kicked rear end. Neverwinter Nights was my first graphical online game. The gold box one, not the new one.

I'd have to say though in terms of storytelling and player freedom the next generation of RPGs kicked the poo poo out of gold box games. The generation that included the mindblowing Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and that Arabian Nights themed game. I can never remember the name of that drat game.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Rorona's characters are cliche and very, very anime, but I haven't found any of them offensively bad. The gameplay is simple and addicting, if you don't mind some pressure from constant deadlines and whatnot. It's basically Recettear, but bigger and with less likable characters. And triple the price, I guess.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

homeless snail posted:

No one is going to give you poo poo for liking Atelier, they're solid JRPGs. Now if you said you liked the art style and characters, well...

Well, I guess I'm not used to the better atmosphere here than the IGN PS3 board where everybody is claiming it's an incredibly lovely game and rails on it.

I hate that place. I don't even know why I still bother to check it out from time to time.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Hakkeshu posted:

Yeah it's Ar Tonelico which I got the second one a while back since I enjoyed the first, but for some reason nowadays I don't really wanna play jRPGs.

I thought the first one was interesting to say the least. It had a lot of potential, but all fights just devolved into protect the caster -> 1 shot everything after charging up. I really liked the idea behind syncing up your caster and melee characters and their attacks got better at each interval.

I ought to try playing it again and see if I can actually get through it. I was surprised to learn there is a second out for PS2 and a third coming out for PS3.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hizke posted:

Atelier Rorona is pretty great. I love moe bullshit. Here's hoping to a Travis Touchdown smiley soon.
Thinking about this, :spergin: could be turned into a Travis smiley with not much change.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nathilus posted:

Hell yes, the Gold Box games kicked rear end. Neverwinter Nights was my first graphical online game. The gold box one, not the new one.

I'd have to say though in terms of storytelling and player freedom the next generation of RPGs kicked the poo poo out of gold box games. The generation that included the mindblowing Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and that Arabian Nights themed game. I can never remember the name of that drat game.

Al-Qadim: Genie's Curse.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Stay away from guns. It's the first thing a lot of people go for and they're very underpowered. If you go tech, put at least one point into explosives so you can make molatoves. Or just make a fire Mage or a melée character with tons of dexterity.

Arcanum
Aww, that's disappointing. I had to remake my character since I didn't know the magick allergy background made potions useless and I was planning to go guns after I saved up some cash and found bullet schematics. How are bows? I usually try to make a ranged physical(archer, gunner) in RPGs.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Lakbay posted:

Arcanum
Aww, that's disappointing. I had to remake my character since I didn't know the magick allergy background made potions useless and I was planning to go guns after I saved up some cash and found bullet schematics. How are bows? I usually try to make a ranged physical(archer, gunner) in RPGs.

Don't worry about potions. Take one tech level in medicine and you can make technological healing potions out of these flowers that are growing everywhere. Guns aren't useless, they're just not really as good as magic and melee. The main drawback is that to use guns well you have to pump up your preception which doesn't get used much by anything else. If you use melee you have to pump up your dex, which also let's you dodge, steal, pick locks, etc.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

al-azad posted:

Al-Qadim: Genie's Curse.

Thanks a ton. I remembered the Al- part but then Assassin's Creed names kicked in and I could never find it via google. Gonna replay this asap.

It's not nearly as amazing as the two Dark Sun games but it captured a playstyle and atmosphere that hasn't really been replicated since.

It's very actiony or Zelda like, but with good/evil (or more like rogue/noble) plot choices and some AD&D mechanics along the way. I'd compare it to the Soulblazer/Terranigma/Illusion of Gaia series more than anything, but it has branching plot choices that set it apart from the JRPG linear parts of those games. Those branches are still not nearly as comprehensive as something like Deus Ex, however.

Speaking of that reminds me of another game that it is somewhat similar to in style. Omikron: The Nomad Soul is most famous for legendary fourth wall breaking in the first two minutes of the game and music by David Bowie. Developed by Quantic Dream, recently notable for Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, it was an incredibly strange and wonky game.

In the post-GTA3 world it is hard to explain the lure of this game. At the time, however, despite its massive flaws, this was the game that came closest to presenting a real, breathing city. It just happens to also be ultratech/dystopian to boot. Much like The Way, which I recommended earlier, this is a game in which you have to overlook some serious flaws before you can encounter the timless greatness.

Specifically for Nomad Soul the major flaw is much the same as Xenogears. Major sections of the story couldn't be completed as game sequences so they are almost non-interactive. The journey is still worth it in my opinion, for anyone who is an enthusiast for strange themes in games, and some sweet ancient civilization underground cities.

Here's some pics.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Oh, cool man. Thanks.

Wait this isn't the same character. Is this even the same game? No worries, the discrepancy is explained above.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ive tried to get into games like Clouds of Xeen and Wiz 5 and 6 but I dunno, I dont have enough of a Nostalgic Link to those games to be able to power through.

I really wanted to like Wiz 8 but the nonstop combat killed that game for me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I could never get past this part in Omikron where you meet Bowie face to face and have to solve some ridiculous puzzle that makes no sense.

The game itself was completely jaw dropping when it came out. The graphics kicked the poo poo out of everything, the world was absolutely massive, and it ran fine on even the shittiest computers. I think I'm one of the few people who enjoyed the combat and shooting mechanics.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

If you actually enjoy the FPS segments use a FAQ to get past the puzzles. One of the last levels is an FPS underground city that the gaming world has never seen the likes of before or since.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't even remember the part I was on. You plant bombs in a factory and then you have to figure out a code to a giant rock or something and there's absolutely no clues on how to continue further. I'd love to play the game again but it's impossible to get working on any machine older than 2000 and the Dreamcast version has terrible controls.

Atleast I have the announced Omikron 2 to look forward to. Maybe GoG will get together with QD to release O:tNS.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

al-azad posted:

I don't even remember the part I was on. You plant bombs in a factory and then you have to figure out a code to a giant rock or something and there's absolutely no clues on how to continue further. I'd love to play the game again but it's impossible to get working on any machine older than 2000 and the Dreamcast version has terrible controls.

Atleast I have the announced Omikron 2 to look forward to. Maybe GoG will get together with QD to release O:tNS.

I think it just doesn't like certain video cards. It runs perfectly under Vista for me. I'm also currently (not) lping it if you're interested: link

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I'm trying to play Arcanum but the mouse has some weird slowness thing going on. I'll move it some place and it's like I turned the mouse speed all the way down. Also when I went in the cave to the north of the crash site it was amazingly slow. :(

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Xenix posted:

I ought to try playing it again and see if I can actually get through it. I was surprised to learn there is a second out for PS2 and a third coming out for PS3.

The second Ar tonelico game has a pretty good battle system that's more than just choosing things from a menu. It's probably the best thing about the game. The third tries to be like Tales with an action-type battle system. I didn't like it much since your physical attackers do 10 damage per hit and there's no variety in the magic to justify having to sit through it every battle.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I think I may also be interested in the Ar tonelico series.
My adventure into the Atelier series didn't go so well, mostly because I had no clue what I was doing. I bet if I started with a easier one I would do better and get into it more.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

casual poster posted:

My adventure into the Atelier series didn't go so well, mostly because I had no clue what I was doing. I bet if I started with a easier one I would do better and get into it more.

Weren't you saying the font was too small and you couldn't read anything? I think that's the real problem as the game tells you what you need to be doing. Good excuse to get a bigger TV if you've got the spare cash. If not, well, hopefully you can return the game.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

casual poster posted:

The Atelier Iris and Mana Khemia games keep the item crafting as part of the plot, but are more "traditional" sorts of RPGs with more focus on battle and adventure. Ar tonelico's a different series by the same company, so there's some item crafting but it's not plot-important stuff.

Really the major problem with any of Gust's games, but especially Ar tonelico, is the amount of Japan in them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Atelier Totori has taught me that homunculi are...

1) totally ethical to create and use as slave labor (and sell, give as gifts, destroy, etc.)
2) can greatly increase the efficiency of your atelier
3) work for pie

This game gets more awesome the more I play it. Its pacing is unlike any JRPG I had played before. For instance, in the first 12 hours I have only had one kinda boss fight, and basically the game hasn't forced me to go to any specific place for any reason yet.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I think.I may wait for someone to post a guide for altier rorona before I sell it, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has anyone other than the OP played the goon-made games on Page 1? I'm in the mood for some rpgs, but I'd like some second opinions before I start anything.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

CommissarMega posted:

Has anyone other than the OP played the goon-made games on Page 1? I'm in the mood for some rpgs, but I'd like some second opinions before I start anything.

Both of SCF's games are competently made and do what they're meant to do pretty well. Last Scenario starts out like a pretty standard 16-bit JRPG, but it's got challenging combat and does throw a few surprises at you plotwise. Exit Fate is basically a Suikoden game with the serial numbers filed off. If you like the Suikoden series you will like it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

casual poster posted:

I think.I may wait for someone to post a guide for altier rorona before I sell it, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

Well, what's got you specifically stumped about Rorona? I've put about 4-5 hours into it, and can answer questions you may have about that.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The Black Stones posted:

Well, what's got you specifically stumped about Rorona? I've put about 4-5 hours into it, and can answer questions you may have about that.

Basically everything, mostly the alchemy. I'm playing this on a 24 inch tv and I can't read the tutorials because the font is so drat small.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thuryl posted:

Exit Fate is basically a Suikoden game with the serial numbers filed off. If you like the Suikoden series you will like it.

Seconding this, Exit Fate is the best Suikoden clone I've ever played. It has a different style than the original Suikoden and could arguably be a better game depending on your personal taste.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

casual poster posted:

Basically everything, mostly the alchemy. I'm playing this on a 24 inch tv and I can't read the tutorials because the font is so drat small.

Well, the problem with not being able to read things means you're going to have a problem with alchemy as well because you need to be able to read the smaller descriptions of things.

For example. One of the first items you need to make has to have any item that has the trait "Gunpowder" for existence. So in order to find out which items works, you have to look up the item and see which has the Gunpowder trait, like Beehives for example, can be found in the forest area and have that trait.

You have to mix specific things to get what they ask. Sometimes it's extremely specific like them wanting an exact item, or just wanting something like a plant and any plant will do.

You then bring this to the pot and when you have the required items you mix them together to create the item you want. When you do this, you A) lose how many days it takes to create how many items you want (which is indicated at the bottom of the screen, which if you couldn't read the tutorials, I don't know if you could read that, as it's even kinda small on my 37 HDTV) and you also need to have the amount of HP needed to make the item.

Like I said before, if you have a problem with the text in general. Playing the game is going to be a nightmare. It's an easy game to understand, however, you just got screwed on terrible choices on the Dev's/Publishers side. Which is no fault of your own. But of course, if you have the extra cash, maybe it's time to upgrade TV's, no? :D

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The Black Stones posted:

Well, the problem with not being able to read things means you're going to have a problem with alchemy as well because you need to be able to read the smaller descriptions of things.

For example. One of the first items you need to make has to have any item that has the trait "Gunpowder" for existence. So in order to find out which items works, you have to look up the item and see which has the Gunpowder trait, like Beehives for example, can be found in the forest area and have that trait.

You have to mix specific things to get what they ask. Sometimes it's extremely specific like them wanting an exact item, or just wanting something like a plant and any plant will do.

You then bring this to the pot and when you have the required items you mix them together to create the item you want. When you do this, you A) lose how many days it takes to create how many items you want (which is indicated at the bottom of the screen, which if you couldn't read the tutorials, I don't know if you could read that, as it's even kinda small on my 37 HDTV) and you also need to have the amount of HP needed to make the item.

Like I said before, if you have a problem with the text in general. Playing the game is going to be a nightmare. It's an easy game to understand, however, you just got screwed on terrible choices on the Dev's/Publishers side. Which is no fault of your own. But of course, if you have the extra cash, maybe it's time to upgrade TV's, no? :D

Alright cool, thanks for the information. I think it is time to upgrade my TV also! Any excuse will do.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

casual poster posted:

Alright cool, thanks for the information. I think it is time to upgrade my TV also! Any excuse will do.
You could also use a tv tuner card for your computer and play it like that, I'm sure my LCD screen has a much better resolution than my old tv.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thuryl posted:

Both of SCF's games are competently made and do what they're meant to do pretty well. Last Scenario starts out like a pretty standard 16-bit JRPG, but it's got challenging combat and does throw a few surprises at you plotwise. Exit Fate is basically a Suikoden game with the serial numbers filed off. If you like the Suikoden series you will like it.

Has no meaning posted:

Seconding this, Exit Fate is the best Suikoden clone I've ever played. It has a different style than the original Suikoden and could arguably be a better game depending on your personal taste.

Therein lies the rub; I'm a PC-master-race-supremacist type, and I have absolutely no idea how good these strange electronic flicktoons from the Far East you kids keep mentioning are. That said, press for Exit Fate seems to be good, and wikipedia tells me this SoCoolThen games were well-recieved, so I guess I'll give 'em a go.

Ideologue
Jan 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Has no meaning posted:

It has a different style than the original Suikoden and could arguably be a better game depending on your personal taste.

Let's not go crazy here, Suikoden II is prolly one of my favorite JRPG's ever, and playing Exit Fate just made me want to play Suikoden again.

edit:

CommissarMega posted:

Therein lies the rub; I'm a PC-master-race-supremacist type, and I have absolutely no idea how good these strange electronic flicktoons from the Far East you kids keep mentioning are. That said, press for Exit Fate seems to be good, and wikipedia tells me this SoCoolThen games were well-recieved, so I guess I'll give 'em a go.

Play Suikoden II. You don't need to play the first one to enjoy it, and it has a story a bit more grounded in reality than most JRPG's that really hooked me.

Ideologue fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 9, 2010

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Divine Divinity II is currently $15 on Impulse, and I'm thinking about getting it. Mainly my question is should I wait for the edition they're putting out (despite it's lack of an American publisher) or is it worth the asking price?

I enjoy wonky hard German RPGs, but it really depends on how the wonkiness is present.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

Ideologue posted:

Play Suikoden II. You don't need to play the first one to enjoy it, and it has a story a bit more grounded in reality than most JRPG's that really hooked me.

That is incorrect. Suikoden 2 is much, much better when you played through the first game. True, it's great by itself, but 1 through 3 are really meant to be played consecutively.

After that, it's a crapshoot.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Well I downloaded The Spirit Engine 2 on the recommendation of some dude in this thread and drat. It's a pretty amazing piece of work for only one programmer/artist/writer/whatever and the soundtrack has some catchy work.

quote:

Divine Divinity II is currently $15 on Impulse, and I'm thinking about getting it. Mainly my question is should I wait for the edition they're putting out (despite it's lack of an American publisher) or is it worth the asking price?

I enjoy wonky hard German RPGs, but it really depends on how the wonkiness is present.

Divinity 2 is definitely a title you want to buy at cut price. The wonkiness is most obvious in the rough edges (I had to do some messing about with the config to get it to remember the resolution and to fix the weird framerate jitters), the combat which feels slightly clunky (and has a couple of seriously cheesy abilities, hello explosive arrow) and the pacing of the game which is generally quite slow.

Still, if it's only $15 I'd say it's worth the price, besides what I've mentioned the game is solidly entertaining.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm looking for an RPG that has a setting kind of like GRRM's ASoIF. By this I mean: magic still exists but it's limited i.e. no magic missile every two seconds, political intrigue (backstabbing courts are fun!), it has mostly not annoying characters, human-dominated world, grey morality, and zombies would be a cool.

I can think of a few examples that have been pretty close: Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragonage: Origins, Mount and Blade. Does Thief: The Dark Project count as an RPG? Probably not, but I'll put it up here anyway.

None of the above games match exactly what I describe, but they come pretty drat close.

I realize this is a stupidly tall order, so if nothing comes to mind, recommend me an RPG with an awesome mage or wizard character you can get in the party.

Examples of this: Chrono Trigger has Magus and in FFI the Black Mage looks badass :colbert:

edit: VVVVV That sounds promising, I'll take a look at it.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 10, 2010

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Contra Calculus posted:

I'm looking for an RPG that has a setting kind of like GRRM's ASoIF. By this I mean: magic still exists but it's limited i.e. no magic missile every two seconds, political intrigue (backstabbing courts are fun!), it has mostly not annoying characters, human-dominated world, grey morality, and zombies would be a cool.

I can think of a few examples that have been pretty close: Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragonage: Origins, Mount and Blade. Does Thief: The Dark Project count as an RPG? Probably not, but I'll put it up here anyway.

None of the above games match exactly what I describe, but they come pretty drat close.

I realize this is a stupidly tall order, so if nothing comes to mind, recommend me an RPG with an awesome mage or wizard character you can get in the party.

Examples of this: Chrono Trigger has Magus and in FFI the Black Mage looks badass :colbert:
You might like Vagrant Story, which is set in the same world as FF:T incidentally. You do use magic, but the game is by no means high fantasy. It has zombies, grey morality, and it's human dominated to boot! The combat system is pretty interesting, it's like an odd combination of Fallout 3's VATS system and The Witcher's timing system, but much more indepth than either. It also as an interesting crafting system (which also ties in with an elemental rock, paper, scissors sort of system) and some nifty graphics for a PS1 game.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs the Third Reich are both awesome western tactical role playing games about gold/silver age superheroes. They both have a great cast of premade characters or you can make your own with a pretty drat fine character creator. If I remember properly you can pretty much make an invincible god for all those who like big numbers.

Oh, and you get to fight a mutant version of Hitler.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Force_%282002_video_game%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Force_vs_The_3rd_Reich
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9e0E45ipTs

Can anyone else recommend some good tactical rpgs for the PC?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
No one can find me a game that's similair to Champions of Norrath? :( gently caress.

anyways, I feel RPGs are in a weird state currently, no matter what type of RPG you're looking at, whether it be JRPG or WRPG or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Contra Calculus posted:

You are looking for exactly The Witcher