Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gosh there are a lot of dick songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Leperflesh posted:

Gosh there are a lot of dick songs
Apropos of the current conversation, or just some idle searching?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I agree. There should be a variety of bad songs playing, not the same bad songs over and over.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Girls, girls, please don't fight

You all have equally crap taste in music

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

GORDON posted:

There are too many internet radio stations out there that don't play a 15 second loop of crap for 10 minutes, several times a day. Really isn't a hard decision.

GBSFM is a grand experiment, and I really wanted to dig it, but a completely free format will always keep it full of crap from people who like crap or think playing crap for other people is funny.

It's not really funny. And there are alternatives. I tried the big stew of GBSFM, but too many of the floating pieces of meat are actually turds that were someone's idea of a funny thing to do. I enjoyed the different styles of music, but 15 second loops of crap are those turds in the stew.

I genuinely like the 10 minute remix of Supergirl and regularly add it. :colbert:

(However, Bob Pokosy only mildly annoys me. Gilber Gottfriend is inherently funny no matter how often he gets repeated.)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Lareine posted:

I don't see why you guys make such a big fuss over troll songs. They make up only a small fraction of the songs played overall. Mute it till it's over and go back to enjoying Electric Light Orchestra and Queen. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I personally can learn to enjoy all music except for high frequency shrieks. And Journey.

Why you gotta hate on Joanna Newsom?

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

GORDON posted:

There are too many internet radio stations out there that don't play a 15 second loop of crap for 10 minutes, several times a day. Really isn't a hard decision.

GBSFM is a grand experiment, and I really wanted to dig it, but a completely free format will always keep it full of crap from people who like crap or think playing crap for other people is funny.

It's not really funny. And there are alternatives. I tried the big stew of GBSFM, but too many of the floating pieces of meat are actually turds that were someone's idea of a funny thing to do. I enjoyed the different styles of music, but 15 second loops of crap are those turds in the stew.

ZAAAAAAAAABBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Jormagund posted:

Girls, girls, please don't fight

You all have equally crap taste in music

How dare you.

My crap taste in music is at least 33.3% greater than anyone else's.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Please, everybody just calm down. We don't want another Journey War to occur. Too many souls were lost in the last one. :ohdear:

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Merijn posted:

I genuinely like the 10 minute remix of Supergirl and regularly add it. :colbert:
I sing along, it really is catchy

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Farquar posted:

Please, everybody just calm down. We don't want another Journey War to occur. Too many souls were lost in the last one. :ohdear:

I find that this is a good way to remember to calm down.

http://gbs.fm/song/3960

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I find it greatly amusing that a guy complaining about too much repetitive gimmick music on GBS-FM and a guy complaining about being banned for playing too much repetitive gimmick music on GBS-FM are on the SAME PAGE of this thread.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Repetitive? What are you talking about? :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
The occasional jewels you find in the massive turd soup makes GBS-FM more than worth it.

truth

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
At first the huge variety is a bit daunting, but then you can upload your songs or pick what you want from the playlist.

Listening to it for a while encourages me to be more open with different musical tastes and makes me smile when I listen to old nostalgia.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Doctor Zero posted:

Why you gotta hate on Joanna Newsom?

Joanna Newsom's music has a weird sort of appreciation curve to it.

- The first song you hear from her will get a response like "Oh god, what is that noise?"
- A few songs later and you sort of forget that you disliked her, she's just a neutral sort of sound entering your ears.
- And a few more songs later, and you're actively enjoying her, and can't quite remember why you didn't like her before.

I'm at the point where I may start buying her albums.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Thanks to GBS-FM helping me find out about Arjen Anthony Lucassen, I have just pre-ordered the new Star One album.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Apropos of the current conversation, or just some idle searching?

Well I was hoping to spawn a block of dick songs (er, dick dongs haha) but nobody followed through. Probably because it was late at night and GBS.fm seems to drop off a cliff around 10-11pm pacific. Last week I even saw the playlist completely run out.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Robot Hobo posted:

Joanna Newsom's music has a weird sort of appreciation curve to it.

- The first song you hear from her will get a response like "Oh god, what is that noise?"
- A few songs later and you sort of forget that you disliked her, she's just a neutral sort of sound entering your ears.
- And a few more songs later, and you're actively enjoying her, and can't quite remember why you didn't like her before.

I'm at the point where I may start buying her albums.

I've never really understood the hate for her, I liked her right away after seeing the video for Sprout and the Bean. She sounds like a child, but most parents wish their kids could sing and play harp at the same time.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kilonum posted:

Thanks to GBS-FM helping me find out about Arjen Anthony Lucassen, I have just pre-ordered the new Star One album.

I knew that adding two 10-minute+ Ayreon dongs wouldn't go entirely unnoticed :v:

But yes, the Star One album is particularly awesome.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Ooooh, this is so going up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHIFM0Y87c

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

John Dough posted:

I knew that adding two 10-minute+ Ayreon dongs wouldn't go entirely unnoticed :v:

But yes, the Star One album is particularly awesome.

Actully, it was hearing stuff right after i joined the first version in 20050 that got me hooked

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Ooooh, this is so going up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHIFM0Y87c
Here's another good one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw5oJoUYTb8

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

The best is surely the utterly disjointed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BrLEuzVCVQ

widerruflich
May 6, 2007
...we accept the inevitable
I've just registered and added songs to the playlist, but my stream keeps cutting out after about 6 minutes. Any ideas? I'm using Mac OS X and this has happened on both VLC and iTunes.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

The stream's holding up well for me, as usual. Do you have anything else downloading? When it stops does it say "buffering" or something else?

widerruflich
May 6, 2007
...we accept the inevitable
it says 'attempting to rebuffer' in iTunes. But nothing happens, even after 10 minutes. Same thing happens in VLC, but without an error.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Just curious, what is the time limit for how long a track can be? I'd like to upload some BBC radio 1 essential mixes if people won't mind but they're 2 hours.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

widerruflich posted:

it says 'attempting to rebuffer' in iTunes. But nothing happens, even after 10 minutes. Same thing happens in VLC, but without an error.
Hmm, sorry I don't know. Try Googling the error and see if that helps.

Communocracy posted:

Just curious, what is the time limit for how long a track can be? I'd like to upload some BBC radio 1 essential mixes if people won't mind but they're 2 hours.
I don't think there's a time limit on what you upload, but there's an 11 minute limit on what you can add. Unless you talk to a mod, but at 2 hours long, good luck getting them added.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah mixes are generally a no-no. The whole idea is to play single tracks, to have a semblance of fairness.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery

Communocracy posted:

There is also a file size limit, we have a couple of one hour tracks on the station but they're pretty much the limit as another hour long track I tried was too large. Of course this all depends upon bit rate but as Test Pilot Monkey said you're very unlikely to get one of us to unban it.

Also mixes are a blurry area, we definitely don't like multiple songs being tacked together and any instances are banned, however mixed DJ performances sort of get around this.

Over all if you want to play this sort of thing your best bet is probably with ghetto instead. Sign up and get a DJ slot, you can usually get two hours on the bounce, especially for peak UK times, and then you can play whatever you want. url used to do a show where he played the Radio Soulwax mixes, and Dawolfey currently plays old Adam & Joe shows for example. If you do go down this route pop into IRC and let us know you're on and you might tempt a few users to cross streams.

I think Ghetto also have their own thread somewhere with more info, should you be interested in doing this.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
So 11 minutes or 1 hour?

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Communocracy posted:

So 11 minutes or 1 hour?
11 minutes is the limit of what you can add to the playlist without a mod's help. 1 hour is roughly the limit for uploads.

Also, don't go cutting things down to fit. If they're too long, too bad. Otherwise do the Ghetto radio thing.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Also, don't go cutting things down to fit.

Absolutely do not do this.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Various Artists - Velfarre Cyber Trance [gbsfm edit] (10:59)

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Here's an interesting grey area - what's our official opinion on people chopping silences out of tracks, say ones used to hide bonus material?

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Nihiliste posted:

Here's an interesting grey area - what's our official opinion on people chopping silences out of tracks, say ones used to hide bonus material?

Dead air is bad. Hidden tracks should be split into their own dong.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Dead air is bad. Hidden tracks should be split into their own dong.

Agreed unless the "hidden track" is actually part of the song. I can only think of one example of that though, so it's rare.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Were it not for the v1 policy of separating hidden tracks into separate dong ids, I would likely never have been able to convince you guys of the subtle genius of Animal Dong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Kilonum posted:

Actully, it was hearing stuff right after i joined the first version in 20050 that got me hooked
And if you hadn't added them constantly in 2007 I wouldn't have gotten hooked either.
So, uh, thank you GBS-FM in proxy.

• Locked thread