Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Petey posted:

not saying it's good but most law professors I've met fit this pretty neatly.
no kidding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
Everyone (well, not everyone, obviously) got kind of pissed here at GMU about being the #1 Most Conservative law school on the new(?) Princeton Review rankings, and as my con-law prof is pretty in tune with rankings and poo poo, he made a poll on TWEN for the class.

code:
1. Green			0
2. Very Liberal			5
3. Liberal 			10
4. Moderately Liberal	 	9
5. Moderate 			7
6. Moderately Conservative 	11
7. Conservative 		3
8. Very Conservative 		4
9. Libertarian 			6
10. Other 			0
More conservative than other law schools? Yes.

More conservative than, say, Regent or Liberty? I doubt it.

Of course, the PR thing was "Based on student assessment of the political bent of the student body at large," which I take to mean what a sample THINKS the whole body is like, which is just weird.

Regardless, the professors are still ridiculously conservative, but the student body isn't as conservative as it once was either, despite this poo poo.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Aristokles posted:

oh, okay, that sounds good. Dare I ask if the position requires a law degree?

It does.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
The best part about having a professor important enough to know everyone and old enough to not realize how easily information gets beyond the classroom is that you get gems like "I know them both from way back and it's not even a debate: Thomas is smarter than Scalia." Completely unrelated to the class material, but that's what makes it special.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Carlos Romious lost his license on Monday after the Kansas high court found that he charged the inflated fee while representing a soldier facing drug possession charges in a military court. The court also found that during a three-year period Romious shouted profanity at court clerks, got into a brawl with a court security officer and accused a judge of being a pedophile.

Which one of you guys is this?

(opinion is 2010 WL 3928608 and contains much mirth)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Red Bean Juice posted:

(opinion is 2010 WL 3928608 and contains much mirth)

Non Westlaw version:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ks-supreme-court/1540686.html

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Look I never shouted profanity at the clerks OK?

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Served 120 days in jail for calling a judge a pedophile, yelling and swearing through a court case, tossing documents around the courtroom, but was still able to practice law afterwards. What the gently caress kansas

Edit: oh never mind it's not in chronological order. calling the judge a pedophile was the last thing he did before disbarment.

“52. Two days later, Greg Smith observed the Respondent in the Grandview Municipal Court again. When the Respondent noticed Greg Smith, the Respondent started yelling at him. The Respondent yelled, ‘I'm back in Grandview. All the snakes are back again.’ The Respondent continued to scream that everyone was a snake and that Grandview is full of snakes.

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 14, 2010

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Anybody applying for the PMF program, deadline is tomorrow. I know some people who were near the top at this school (TTT) who got it, so it is possible to get.

Non-legal but requires a graduate degree, work with one of the federal agencies for two years. Pay is like 60-90 and I think there's some loan forgiveness. I threw my hat in the ring. You have to apply initially early on but then there's a series of intermediate things to do until they finally pick people in spring.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

billion dollar bitch posted:

My friend was RA'ing for him this summer. This was their conversation to introduce her to the job and apparently to him.

Wu: And so after law school I clerked and then blah blah blah.
Friend: mmhmmm
Wu: Blah blah blah
Friend: Interesting.
Wu: You do know that when I say clerked, I was using it as a euphemism for "clerked for the Supreme Court. The United States Supreme Court.
Friend: ... Yeah I knew you clerked for Breyer.
Wu: Because sometimes people don't know what that means.
Friend: No, I knew.
Wu: Okay, just making sure.

A chat with my crim law professor a couple years ago:

Me: Hello I have some questions
Her: Hello
(blah blah)
Her: I was a D.A. you know
Me: I know you talk about it in class
Her: I was at the Manhattan District Attorney's office
Her: "That's the most prestigious prosecutor's office in the world."
Me: Oh that's cool

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

hypocrite lecteur posted:

“52. Two days later, Greg Smith observed the Respondent in the Grandview Municipal Court again. When the Respondent noticed Greg Smith, the Respondent started yelling at him. The Respondent yelled, ‘I'm back in Grandview. All the snakes are back again.’ The Respondent continued to scream that everyone was a snake and that Grandview is full of snakes.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

Mr Gentleman posted:

(blah blah)

Share your douchiest law school convos!

(guy in a marine corps hoodie and Skadden ballcap)

me: Oh, so you're a marine officer?
him: Yeah, but i'm separating this year after graduation (i.e getting out of the military)
me: Oh, congratulations! I also did six years active duty in the...
him: I'll be working at Skadden.
me: Yeah, cool. I thought as much, seeing your Skadden ballcap and...
him: Skadden, in New York.
me: Awesome...
him: It's probably one of the most prestigious law firms in the country.
me: *silence*
him: I'll be making (some large amount). Much more than I made as a Captain.
me: Wow, as a first year associate? cool.
him: I'm the only student from Georgetown who was selected this year.
me: That's,uh, great...

He was both the douchiest marine AND law student I'd ever met, all at the same time!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

J Miracle posted:

Anybody applying for the PMF program, deadline is tomorrow. I know some people who were near the top at this school (TTT) who got it, so it is possible to get.

Non-legal but requires a graduate degree, work with one of the federal agencies for two years. Pay is like 60-90 and I think there's some loan forgiveness. I threw my hat in the ring. You have to apply initially early on but then there's a series of intermediate things to do until they finally pick people in spring.

I just dropped off my nomination paperwork. When you say "got it," do you mean your school's nomination, or a fellowship placement/finalist status? It seems they've added a Foreign Service Exam-esque in-person interview process to what was formerly an entirely exam-based procedure, which is a little discouraging. Have you asked people last semester what their experience was like with the test/the job fair/etc.?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

prussian advisor posted:

I just dropped off my nomination paperwork. When you say "got it," do you mean your school's nomination, or a fellowship placement/finalist status? It seems they've added a Foreign Service Exam-esque in-person interview process to what was formerly an entirely exam-based procedure, which is a little discouraging. Have you asked people last semester what their experience was like with the test/the job fair/etc.?

Someone last year got the actual fellowship, she works with the VA in Philly. She said the tests and poo poo were not a big deal, and the job fair was basically a huge cattle call with tons of waiting packed in a room with a bunch of people. I don't remember her saying anything much about the interviews, but at the time she was doing it I wasn't really thinking about doing it.

I was thinking about emailing her some of these questions, when I get the answers I can share them here.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
What is PMF?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

dividebyzero posted:

him: Yeah, but i'm separating this year after graduation (i.e getting out of the military)

He was both the douchiest marine AND law student I'd ever met, all at the same time!

I bet you I know who that is.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
What's great about being at a TTT is how the arrogant people are actually arrogant about poo poo that isn't even good, like arrogant about getting an unpaid externship with a state court or getting on the e-board of a non-LR journal and poo poo.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

dividebyzero posted:

I hate people.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

dividebyzero posted:

My first day of law school:

Him: "Hey man, what was your LSAT score?"

Me: "Shut up."

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

SWATJester posted:

I bet you I know who that is.

I don't even remember his name because I just couldn't talk to him for the rest of the semester. That was the first and only exchange I had with that particular human.

CaptainScraps posted:

My first day of law school:

Him: "Hey man, what was your LSAT score?"

Me: "Shut up."

ahahahaha, I'd completely forgotten about the 1L LSAT dick measuring!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

J Miracle posted:

I was thinking about emailing her some of these questions, when I get the answers I can share them here.

Please do :) Also, if anyone else has participated in this process or received finalist status or a placement, please post about it.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 1, 2016

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Gadamer posted:

The lawyer gf is a GULC grad. I think they're all like this.

See, it isn't "top 10" or "top 15" or "top 20" because those numbers make sense and, well, Georgetown as #14 is just so much better than those gross public schools Texas and UCLA, so it's "T14."

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Gadamer posted:

That's a little harsh.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
As of today, I have reached five Bingos.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gadamer posted:

As an '07 GULC grad, I disagree. We had our fair share of gunners but we have an entire section of people devoted to the radical leftist hippy law world, and these people are sooooo not douchy assholes - they're just misguided pandas basically. The rest of the student body has its fair share of gunners but most people were just party-lovers and your typical clueless law student.

One of the guys in my section graduated magna, spent his 1L summer at the london office of Skadden, and he was incredibly quiet and low-key. He already had a child and wife when he entered law school, and his wife was seriously punk rock - short cut hair + awesome tats.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr Gentleman posted:

(blah blah)
I doubt that's true. Probably SF or LA county for DA, they certainly pay a lot more (SF starts at 98k). Alameda is probably the best though.

Also, the answer is US attorney's office somewhere.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

nm posted:

I doubt that's true. Probably SF or LA county for DA, they certainly pay a lot more (SF starts at 98k). Alameda is probably the best though.

Also, the answer is US attorney's office somewhere.

I actually agree with her man, at least for DA offices

USAO I think would be SDNY, CD Cal, EDNY, DDC, blah blah (not in any order except SDNY up top) sure but for DA offices? I don't think LA is the same as Manhattan and I'm a California dude

edit: sorry grumblefish cook county is here somewhere

Mr Gentleman fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 15, 2010

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

I guess another way to think about it is would you take Manhattan DA or what USAO? at the upper levels its just a snob snob whatever but like the USAO for New Mexico or Kansas or something? come on

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
A former Queens County Manhattan DA went on to be the EVP of Morgan Stanley, and now is the GC and VP for Take-Two.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 15, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

echopapa posted:

Pfft, I been working for a judge who does family law cases for two months and I've already got two bingos. If I can add "alleged" to some of these, I've got most of the board covered.

Come onnnnnnn Teen Divorce Pyramid Scheme, come onnnnnn Teen Divorce Pyramid Scheme.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

dividebyzero posted:

ahahahaha, I'd completely forgotten about the 1L LSAT dick measuring!

Wow, that really happens? I literally haven't had a single LSAT conversation since I started.

Also, are there any more CLS stories that BDB and evilweasel can share?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

echopapa posted:

When you put it like that, you make it sound like family law is actually interesting!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

SWATJester posted:

A former Queens County DA went on to be the EVP of Morgan Stanley, and now is the GC and VP for Take-Two.

Nah, Seth Krauss worked for the New York County DA's office (ie Manhattan), not Queens.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's not typical of lateral movement out of the Manhattan DA's office either.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Green Crayons posted:

When you put it like that, you make it sound like family law is actually interesting!

If I were watching these people on TV, it would be fascinating. Dealing with them in person, not so much fun.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Holland Oats posted:

Wow, that really happens? I literally haven't had a single LSAT conversation since I started.

Also, are there any more CLS stories that BDB and evilweasel can share?

I recall a couple people floating LSAT numbers near the start but no one really giving a poo poo.

As for my story I like this one a lot because it came full circle: About a week before school started I randomly facebooked a chick and told her me and my friends were going out as this and that time at such and such bar in PB. I tell her to bring friends and she does. In this group she brings is her roommates (not law school ppl)... and two law school dudes from her apt, real gungho rookie noob 1L poopdicks. One's a decent guy, the other is this fat gently caress with the goatee and a gold chain, looked like he was trying to be from Jersey but was actually from Chicago if that makes sense.

Anyway we're in line at the bar after drinking at my buddy's house and I'm standing next to Fat gently caress when he offers to buy a shot for the two of us. I say cool. He buys the shot and before we drink he says "just so you know, you seem like a cool guy and all, but I will slit your throat to be number 1." I kind of laugh and say OK sounds good and he got all serious and says "no dude, I'll loving do it. no one is going to stop me." This is verbatim.

Saw him the other week at my coming home party (he wasn't invited, he was just at the bar) I threw for myself after getting my offers, he asked where I'd been since he never sees me on campus anymore, and I told him I go to Boalt now. He just sorta stood there, being fat.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Well, apparently, there was a couple in the 3L class when I was a 1L (so since graduated), and the guy was into getting showers, and they broke up, and she sent around the emails in which he's begging her to pee on him...

Dunno if that's what you're talking about though. Rapacynski (sp), who taught torts last year, would call a jury "The Twelve Cleaning Ladies," because apparently only cleaning ladies have the spare time to serve on juries. He also told us about how the Age of Miracles ended with Constantine coming to the imperial throne, but seems to revisit the earth with every plaintiff who sues for pain and suffering...

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

entris posted:

As an '07 GULC grad, I disagree. We had our fair share of gunners but we have an entire section of people devoted to the radical leftist hippy law world, and these people are sooooo not douchy assholes - they're just misguided pandas basically. The rest of the student body has its fair share of gunners but most people were just party-lovers and your typical clueless law student.

One of the guys in my section graduated magna, spent his 1L summer at the london office of Skadden, and he was incredibly quiet and low-key. He already had a child and wife when he entered law school, and his wife was seriously punk rock - short cut hair + awesome tats.

I admit, I'm being a little harsh on it. I've just had a bad sample size. Sadly, all the GULC students/lawyers I've met are all super serious people.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 15, 2010

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

prussian advisor posted:

Nah, Seth Krauss worked for the New York County DA's office (ie Manhattan), not Queens.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's not typical of lateral movement out of the Manhattan DA's office either.

Gah, I knew it was one of the two. Seth was on my panel last year at PAX, he's a cool guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 20, 2017