Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Brock Landers posted:

Yup. Check out this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=419994#A5

With Tivo Desktop or Pytivo, you can specify auto transfer folders and anything you put in there will be pushed to the Tivo. Keep in mind that only MPEG2 pushes are supported, so anything you put in there will be transcoded to MPEG2.

I wouldn't mind automatic transcoding if it can happen whenever rather than having to wait for it to stream. I've finally wired my Tivo into my network and tried using Streambaby to 'stream' 1080p 12000kbps stuff to it and while it will go about 10 seconds, it then stops hard while it buffers. (Note that it still stutters on lesser files, anything above a 720p rip, that was just my stress test) I've been trying to figure out the bottleneck, it's either on my side (A vintage 2006 Core 2 Duo) or the Tivo's write speed being limited. So if I can't resolve that (any tips, or am I just trying too much?), an 'offline' push would be the second best thing.

Though, I just did the math in my head, and if it really is a 12000kbps video, then that's pretty much at the upper limit of what 100Mb ethernet can do, isn't it? Hrm. Though that doesn't change that when I ran a 720p TV rip into it, it went for about 7 minutes before having to buffer, which I thought was odd; wouldn't it either be perpetually behind the buffer, or always at least one second ahead of it? Seven free minutes before buffering on a fixed network seemed odd, which is why I was thinking it was either my PC or the Tivo. (Note that this is a 44 minute 1.5gb file, so 7 minutes would be well before the hard 1.1gb limit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After Verizon's flurry of announcements yesterday, I think I've officially gone completely cold on the idea of ever purchasing a Tivo unless they pull something major out of their rear end.

The new FIOS guide looks pretty drat good and the inclusion of external storage eliminates my chief complaint about the DVR.

However, above all that, it was integration with other devices that would keep me from going to TiVo. They are going to have TV streaming to other mobile devices in place early next year. This means I won't have to buy a TV for another room and rent another box, I can simply stream content (or live TV) from the main DVR to a whole list of other devices including phones and tablets. Instead of buying a new small TV for another room and worry about STB rental and running wires, I could simply slap a tablet on a docking station and I instantly have a fully functional TV in that room with access to all my FIOS tv content. I would say it's a good possibility that this functionality will be extended to Google TV at some point which means you will be able to buy a cheap STB with no service fees to fully enable another TV with all your content.

They are sidestepping the whole content licensing issue due to this not really being like a sling box since it is confined to your home network.

This is the kind of stuff I wanted out of the Premiere, not simply a UI revamp.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/verizon-will-stream-live-fios-tv-video-on-demand-to-ipads-othe/
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/verizon-fios-set-top-boxes-getting-a-new-hd-guide-external-stor/

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Golbez posted:

I wouldn't mind automatic transcoding if it can happen whenever rather than having to wait for it to stream. I've finally wired my Tivo into my network and tried using Streambaby to 'stream' 1080p 12000kbps stuff to it and while it will go about 10 seconds, it then stops hard while it buffers. (Note that it still stutters on lesser files, anything above a 720p rip, that was just my stress test) I've been trying to figure out the bottleneck, it's either on my side (A vintage 2006 Core 2 Duo) or the Tivo's write speed being limited. So if I can't resolve that (any tips, or am I just trying too much?), an 'offline' push would be the second best thing.

Though, I just did the math in my head, and if it really is a 12000kbps video, then that's pretty much at the upper limit of what 100Mb ethernet can do, isn't it? Hrm. Though that doesn't change that when I ran a 720p TV rip into it, it went for about 7 minutes before having to buffer, which I thought was odd; wouldn't it either be perpetually behind the buffer, or always at least one second ahead of it? Seven free minutes before buffering on a fixed network seemed odd, which is why I was thinking it was either my PC or the Tivo. (Note that this is a 44 minute 1.5gb file, so 7 minutes would be well before the hard 1.1gb limit)

I do lots of pushing with pyTivo and I've only ever had to wait on 1080p files that are something like 8GB+. On everything else, as soon as I start the transfer, I can watch without pauses.

So I'm guessing your computer is the hang up.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

chemosh6969 posted:

I do lots of pushing with pyTivo and I've only ever had to wait on 1080p files that are something like 8GB+. On everything else, as soon as I start the transfer, I can watch without pauses.

So I'm guessing your computer is the hang up.

Huh. Well this is a ... 8gig file or so I think (typing from work, so can't check personally) such that I think it can only go 7 minutes before it hits the 1.1gb barrier. But then again, based on that match... 1.1 gig in 7 minutes is much less than 12mbps, it's less than even 12mbitps. So I don't know what I'm dealing with. However, for the sake of wanting to build a new computer, I'll go along with your idea.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Thanks again for the tip, it's great, though that HD file I was trying earlier... it copied over in a mere 12 minutes, and it starts playing fine, but after about 15 seconds it becomes very stuttery, and no amount of pausing fixes it. So I guess it's either at the limit of what the Tivo can do, or the fact that the Tivo is recording and transferring at this moment might be limiting it?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Golbez posted:

Thanks again for the tip, it's great, though that HD file I was trying earlier... it copied over in a mere 12 minutes, and it starts playing fine, but after about 15 seconds it becomes very stuttery, and no amount of pausing fixes it. So I guess it's either at the limit of what the Tivo can do, or the fact that the Tivo is recording and transferring at this moment might be limiting it?

12 minutes seems short for your older computer. I had a similar computer and it couldn't do a regular 1GB movie in that amount of time. The one time I did a 1080p file, it took hours.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

chemosh6969 posted:

12 minutes seems short for your older computer. I had a similar computer and it couldn't do a regular 1GB movie in that amount of time. The one time I did a 1080p file, it took hours.

Maybe that explains the stuttering, that it wasn't the tivo but maybe just the quality of the conversion?

But I have another problem now. Following the advice above, I got pyTivo and its ability to push from a website is very very nice. However, there's no auto push capability. For that, I got pytivo-auto-push. However, that isn't working for me; it never shows my Tivo in the list of Tivos and I can find no way of telling it that I have one. Any ideas? This is the last step I need to have a perfectly automated system. Also, when I click "auto" on one of the folders in auto-push, it throws a bunch of Java errors.

Also, I'm running Windows 7 64bit, and don't seem to be able to install pyTivo as a service, since it needs win32 libraries, unless I'm missing something?

Edit: I got pytivo installed as a service by downgrading to Python 2.7 and installing some win32 poo poo, but despite even downgrading my Java to the 1.5 that auto-push asks for, I get nothing but errors. I'm frustrated. :(

Edit 2: I'm trying kmttg now but despite multiple places in its documentation appearing to claim it supports some form of auto pushing, I can see no way to actually accomplish this.

Edit final: The problem was auto_post not finding my Tivo and it appearing not to respect my edits to the ini file, but after finding some back corner of the internet give a suggestion (it's not enough to say "<tivos>TivoName" in the ini, you also have to add ",Tivoname" after each share) and some wrangling, I got it to work. augh. Finally. And with Java 6 to boot.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 23, 2010

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
The Tivo Slide Remote is now available for Series 3, HDs, and Premieres... and inexplicably costs $90.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Golbez posted:

The Tivo Slide Remote is now available for Series 3, HDs, and Premieres... and inexplicably costs $90.

It's Bluetooth and includes a USB Bluetooth unit to plug in to the TiVo. I think the price is reasonable with that in mind.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

wolrah posted:

It's Bluetooth and includes a USB Bluetooth unit to plug in to the TiVo. I think the price is reasonable with that in mind.

A usb keyboard, wireless or not, also works.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

If I get 2 tivos will I need to pay the $13 fee twice? I am either going to get 2 or just ditch them and get something else.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

kri kri posted:

If I get 2 tivos will I need to pay the $13 fee twice? I am either going to get 2 or just ditch them and get something else.

If they're both on the same account, you'll get a discount on the second one - not full price, but you will still pay for it. Never had a second one active, so I'm not sure what the exact price is.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

If they're both on the same account, you'll get a discount on the second one - not full price, but you will still pay for it. Never had a second one active, so I'm not sure what the exact price is.

Lame, thanks though. Just got a mailer about comcast xfinity, I will look into that.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

$6.99, or close to it.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
After bitching about my Series 2 for the last 3 or 4 months i looked at the Cable companies DVR and picked up a Premiere. Actually pretty snappy, and wondering how long until Hulu+ shows up.

Anyone know of a way to transfer files from the old (deactivated) tivo to the new one? I've got about 100 episodes of kids shows i want to move over.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

zenless posted:

After bitching about my Series 2 for the last 3 or 4 months i looked at the Cable companies DVR and picked up a Premiere. Actually pretty snappy, and wondering how long until Hulu+ shows up.

Anyone know of a way to transfer files from the old (deactivated) tivo to the new one? I've got about 100 episodes of kids shows i want to move over.
I thought it was possible to transfer them if both Tivos were on the network at the same time? Sorry I don't know personally, I was planning to do that but my Tivo HD died before I could get the Premiere. :( Maybe deactivation breaks that. I've found the live chat on Tivo.com to be pretty helpful.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005

Golbez posted:

I thought it was possible to transfer them if both Tivos were on the network at the same time? Sorry I don't know personally, I was planning to do that but my Tivo HD died before I could get the Premiere. :( Maybe deactivation breaks that. I've found the live chat on Tivo.com to be pretty helpful.

I know you can if they're both 'active', i'll have to throw the old one online tonight and see if i can browse to it from the Premiere.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

zenless posted:

I know you can if they're both 'active', i'll have to throw the old one online tonight and see if i can browse to it from the Premiere.

You can transfer from one to another or if you won't have both on the network at the same time, you can transfer to your computer and then transfer to your new one.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I recently cancelled cable TV and thus also my TiVo service, is there anything else useful to do with a TiVo HD?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

wolrah posted:

I recently cancelled cable TV and thus also my TiVo service, is there anything else useful to do with a TiVo HD?

If it's possible to still copy files over to it without it being activated, and you don't have any other computer hooked up to the TV, it could be a nice video box; just have it automatically copy anything that's put in a particular directory.

Otherwise, not really.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

wolrah posted:

Craigslist that bitch

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I upgrade to a premiere using their discount will my HD still have lifetime service or does it "migrate" it? I'm probably not going to I'm just curious.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

qirex posted:

If I upgrade to a premiere using their discount will my HD still have lifetime service or does it "migrate" it? I'm probably not going to I'm just curious.

You should see an option where it says it transfers the lifetime, along with the fee for doing that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Golbez posted:

If it's possible to still copy files over to it without it being activated, and you don't have any other computer hooked up to the TV, it could be a nice video box; just have it automatically copy anything that's put in a particular directory.

Otherwise, not really.

Hah, I used pyTivo once and never touched it again. I have an XBMC box on my main TV and both an original Xbox and an AppleTV on my bedroom TV, so no need for another video playback box. Craigslist it is.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

wolrah posted:

Hah, I used pyTivo once and never touched it again. I have an XBMC box on my main TV and both an original Xbox and an AppleTV on my bedroom TV, so no need for another video playback box. Craigslist it is.

I'm quite enjoying it; I have auto_push set up as a service, so when I have pytivo running (I haven't quite gotten it to function as a service yet...) anything that gets plopped in my auto directory gets automatically shunted over to the Tivo. It's slightly less instant gratification than if I were navigating the folders through the Tivo or 360, but if I'm willing to wait a few minutes, or if it's something that's getting transferred because it automatically downloaded, it's great. I come home and, bam, new things to watch, 100% automated.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Golbez posted:

I'm quite enjoying it; I have auto_push set up as a service, so when I have pytivo running (I haven't quite gotten it to function as a service yet...) anything that gets plopped in my auto directory gets automatically shunted over to the Tivo. It's slightly less instant gratification than if I were navigating the folders through the Tivo or 360, but if I'm willing to wait a few minutes, or if it's something that's getting transferred because it automatically downloaded, it's great. I come home and, bam, new things to watch, 100% automated.

I'm sure it works if you don't have anything better, but I was already using XBMC before I tried pyTivo. When you're used to just clicking anything and having it start playing immediately, anything that requires a buffer or transferring over to the local hard disk just seems like a huge step backwards.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Works perfect for me. I hit transfer and I can start watching and it's coming over faster than I can watch.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

wolrah posted:

I'm sure it works if you don't have anything better, but I was already using XBMC before I tried pyTivo. When you're used to just clicking anything and having it start playing immediately, anything that requires a buffer or transferring over to the local hard disk just seems like a huge step backwards.

True, I understand that. And I have a thing for the TiVo (Streambaby) that allows me to do just that, in case I really don't want to wait for streaming, or if pytivo hiccups. Before that, I would use the 360, but, just like waiting for a buffer for you is a huge step backwards, so is waiting for the 360 to boot up for me, not to mention the weirdnesses in how WMC updates its file list. But already having a TiVo and not wanting to spring for another PC... I originally wanted to build an HTPC/DVR, but the TiVo is cheaper and handles most of those tasks better.

So, long story short: The XBMC sounds good, and yes, with that, you don't need a TiVo, but for those of us without, the TiVo can end up being a pretty nice solution. :)

Golbez fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 13, 2010

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
And now for something completely different: Can any bluetooth keyboard interact with the TiVo, or only the slide remote?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Golbez posted:

And now for something completely different: Can any bluetooth keyboard interact with the TiVo, or only the slide remote?

I know any usb (wired/wireless)keyboard works with but not sure about that.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I saw that Tivo finally added the ability to change Season Passes online now. If we're lucky maybe in two years we'll get an iOS and Android app for scheduling stuff.

I know m.tivo.com works, but a separate app would be useful too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, the FCC just added a few new cablecard rules. Of particular interest is, if you allow self installs of equipment of any kind, you HAVE to allow self installs of cable cards and you must allow them to be ordered like any other piece of equipment.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/the-fcc-changes-the-cablecard-rules-but-not-dramatically/

They also can't use packages to hid the cost of leased equipment. So, if there is a package that includes STB rental in its flat rate, they must break out both the equipment lease and cable card fee as line items on the bill. If the customer chooses to use their own equipment, the cost of the package will be reduced by the STB lease fee.

For example. If Verizon offered an HD package for $79.95 that included an HD-DVR, it would have to be broken down something like this:

$65 - TV Service
$11 - HD-DVR
$3.95 - Cable Card.

If a customer choses to bring a TiVo into the equation, Verizon would only be allowed to charge $68.95 for the package (Original price minus the STB rental fee.) Right now, most MSOs would say "Hey, you are getting the DVR for free. If you want to add a TiVo, that would be an additional $3.95 for the cable card."

In the end, I don't think these rules will do much for adoption of 3rd party devices, but they do make life a little easier for those who have already chosen to go that path.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does this mean Time Warner will stop paying me to keep a cable box in my closet?

(When I tried to turn it in and go CC-only, they told me the total monthly fee would be higher if I removed it from my account. Go figure.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

haveblue posted:

Does this mean Time Warner will stop paying me to keep a cable box in my closet?

(When I tried to turn it in and go CC-only, they told me the total monthly fee would be higher if I removed it from my account. Go figure.)

Correct, they won't be allowed to do that anymore. Your bill will actually go down if you turn it in.

I'm not sure exactly when the rules go into effect. I know the self installs for cable cards aren't going to be enforced for 9-12 months.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I have a DirecTivo and ever since the first episode of both Supernatural and Smallville it has been taping them as "Partial (0:00)" and when I go to play them they just ask me if I want to delete them. I'm assuming this is probably a problem with Direct TV but figure I'd ask if anyone was getting the same problems on theirs and if they found a solution. I've tried plugging in the phone line, resetting it, taking the card out. I got nothing.

Edit: also every other season pass I have works perfectly fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, as of this morning, lifetime service was no more for new customers.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/14/tivo-premiere-now-free-on-contract-for-20-monthly-fee-as-tivo/

https://www3.tivo.com/store/premiere.do

Looks like you only have 3 options for combinations of hardware costs, service costs, and term length. The really shady thing I see is that if you go on the contracts with the higher service costs, you apparently don't automatically drop down to the lower service cost level once you finish the contract.

With Verizon's $3.99 /month cablecard fee, the $19.99 /month service contract tiers would make Tivo almsot $10/month more expensive than Verizon's DVR service.

With Tivo's glacial update schedule, I don't think I would want to enter into a 2 year contract with them.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

bull3964 posted:

Well, as of this morning, lifetime service was no more for new customers.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/14/tivo-premiere-now-free-on-contract-for-20-monthly-fee-as-tivo/

https://www3.tivo.com/store/premiere.do

Looks like you only have 3 options for combinations of hardware costs, service costs, and term length. The really shady thing I see is that if you go on the contracts with the higher service costs, you apparently don't automatically drop down to the lower service cost level once you finish the contract.

With Verizon's $3.99 /month cablecard fee, the $19.99 /month service contract tiers would make Tivo almsot $10/month more expensive than Verizon's DVR service.

With Tivo's glacial update schedule, I don't think I would want to enter into a 2 year contract with them.

They've ended it before for new customers when they were out with the Series 2. They'll do it again when new models come out, like they've done in the past.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hi everybody, I live in the year 1985. I still use analog cable.

I'm perfectly happy with that since my cable company's HD list is pretty crappy and for movies we use Netflix streaming.

Has anyone had any experience running a Premiere without a cablecard? Can it pick up the analog channels and the unencrypted HD local channels?

There are plenty of church channels and shopping channels left for them to move up into SDV before they get to touching the networks I actually care about, so I don't see this as being a problem for me in the immediate future either.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

kitten smoothie posted:

Has anyone had any experience running a Premiere without a cablecard? Can it pick up the analog channels and the unencrypted HD local channels?

Unless I'm remembering wrong, you can use an antenna instead of a cable card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah as suggested to get HD locals plus your basic cable you would run a combo of antenna and cable into the box. But you won't get HD locals over the cable.

• Locked thread