Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nah
Mar 16, 2009

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I really don't care for the Sklar bros. too much. Last time they performed at my school, they did CDR the day after. The entire episode they just grabbed bits from their show. It was embarrassing.

How is that embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

bananasinpajamas posted:

How is that embarrassing

Comedians must be able to generate completely new material each day as if channeling the very muses.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Bo-Pepper posted:

Comedians must be able to generate completely new material each day as if channeling the very muses.

Plenty of great comedians go on that show and are able to improvise and react without resorting to their material.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Plenty of great comedians go on that show and are able to improvise and react without resorting to their material.

Yeah I sure can't stand it when professional comedians "resort to their material."

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I doubt that's entirely true. We just aren't entirely privy to all their material or what's spinning through their minds at the time. For example, Paul F. Tompkins, who is likely the best podcast guest and improviser that I've heard, referenced Uatu the Watcher in two different shows (including his own podcast). I don't see this as weakness, but people when improvising tend to use what's at the top of their heads.

Also, I didn't hear this particular Sklar Bros bit you;re talking about, but comedians also tend to fall back on material when improvising if the current back and forth just isn't working. No matter how good you are, sometimes it just sucks. I think CDR is as good an example of that as any.

Are the Sklar Bros the best comedians ever? Nah. They've never done it for me. But I don't necessarily see the addition of known material into an improv flow to be the end of the world.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Bo-Pepper posted:

Paul F. Tompkins

God knows I love him, but I've heard Paul F Tompkins do the same gag where somebody asks him a question and he'll say "I have time for two more _______ related questions," as though he's holding a formal press conference, on like five different podcasts.

It's still always funny.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Just wanted to say I thought the Zuckerburg bit was really funny, even if those songs and the Lennon thing kinda sucked. It's like 85% the Kermit voice though.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Does anyone else like Hollywood Babbleon? Its become my favorite out of all of the Smodcast stuff.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Boinks posted:

Does anyone else like Hollywood Babbleon? Its become my favorite out of all of the Smodcast stuff.

I enjoy it because its nice to hear Kevin talk to someone who isn't a close personal friend he hasn't known for 20 years, and its nice to hear Ralph able to get Kevin back on track on whatever topic they strayed from.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The Midget bait and switch on DLM was spectacular.

The "Jackass Alums" category in the Len Malton game was also great.

"...So it's really just Johnny Knoxville movies."

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Mister J posted:

God knows I love him, but I've heard Paul F Tompkins do the same gag where somebody asks him a question and he'll say "I have time for two more _______ related questions," as though he's holding a formal press conference, on like five different podcasts.

It's still always funny.

He said this while he was playing a french character a few weeks and I started dying.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Were people saying that Mike Birbiglia was boring on Nerdist? Because I'm really enjoying this show. Even though he does talk like he just downed a bottle of Quaaludes.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Strange Matter posted:

Were people saying that Mike Birbiglia was boring on Nerdist? Because I'm really enjoying this show. Even though he does talk like he just downed a bottle of Quaaludes.

I think they were complaining about him on CDR. I haven't heard it, but I'm a big fan of his stories.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Strange Matter posted:

The Midget bait and switch on DLM was spectacular.

The "Jackass Alums" category in the Len Malton game was also great.

"...So it's really just Johnny Knoxville movies."

Yeah it was more than "Oh poo poo Wee Man is actually funny!" for me. Doug was on fire, pretty much all the midget jokes were funny, and that comedian Myq was really understated or whatever but the entire episode I was just grinning.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Strange Matter posted:

I like Birbiglia a lot, but I will say it was very slow. It doesn't help that Hardwick always seems really shower adoration on most of his guests, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but it tends to put the guests into "Oh, thank you so much" mode which stifles the conversation sometimes.

Cast Iron Brick posted:

The entire episode they just grabbed bits from their show. It was embarrassing.

I know what you mean, but generating new material at such a fast rate is really hard for most people. For example, how many top-tier comedians working today have you heard go on and on about how amazing they think it is that Louis C.K. will abandon his old material and come out with a new hour EVERY YEAR? Some people are really quick in a conversation, (oddly enough I've been taken aback at how sharp and funny non-comedian Jon Hamm is) but if you're working cold then most people will go with what they know (or are touring on). Plus everybody has their standby bits that they can bust out anytime (or what Pardo calls "The Skeleton").

E: I guess a lot of it is a product of our technology. Now in a given week you could hear a comedian on five different podcasts, late night TV, etc. whereas back in the day you might see a comic a few times a year and you might not know they're doing the same stuff.

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 20, 2010

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

The Banned posted:

Seeing Marc Maron with the girlfriend tomorrow at Trees in Dallas. I'm pretty excited. Haven't seen a show there since I saw Arcade Fire in late '04 or early '05, can't remember. Any other goons going?

How was it? I've seen a life WTF, but never his stand up (aside from the albums).

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

j8910 posted:

How was it? I've seen a life WTF, but never his stand up (aside from the albums).

I saw him when he was in Boston. His act is really great. He's used some of his material on his and other podcasts, so some of it may be familiar. However for the most part it would be new material you may not have heard before.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I finally queued up the CDR with Cosby-Bukowsky.

On the one hand I feel like I'm missing part of the self-explanatory joke of the character, but on the other hand I really don't care.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
So I finally listened to episode one of The Podcast Eating Contest. It's just as silly as the title implies. They pretty much have a loose theme or subject they stick to. It's very much all improve. Fans of improve comedy will like it. There are clunkers though that they still run with that can get mildly annoying, but they drop it fairly quickly.

Some people will get this, but I'd say these guys are like a bunch of slightly funnier and quicker Matt Belknaps from NNF. Matt Belknap as of late, not early "Defensive Man" Matt.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
CDR 76.2 with Zach Galifanakis is up on earwolf now.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I'm pretty sure every comedian that goes on CDR as themselves (as opposed to a character) does some of their material. Scott even sets up the bits (and will even turn that into a joke if it's a particularly obvious setup and the guest isn't getting it). Even the characters have bits prepared for the show.

The live WTF yesterday had some awesome uncomfortableness, and Eddie Peppitone is always great in small doses.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
For a halfway decent comedian, Eddie Pepitone just doesn't "get it" half the time. He seems to build brick walls when people improv with him. I like the podcast he's on, but he is a clunker machine.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

NecronSchmecron posted:

For a halfway decent comedian, Eddie Pepitone just doesn't "get it" half the time. He seems to build brick walls when people improv with him. I like the podcast he's on, but he is a clunker machine.

Are you saying he needs to be a Yes Ander, and not a No Butter?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

DangerDummy! posted:

Are you saying he needs to be a Yes Ander, and not a No Butter?

No, what I'm saying is that he can't believe it's not butter. :v:

How'd you like that poo poo "No, but"?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

The_Rob posted:

CDR 76.2 with Zach Galifanakis is up on earwolf now.

5, 4, 3, nose, 1

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Steve Slavery posted:

5, 4, 3, nose, 1

poo poo like that is why I love Scott Aukerman.

and then you hear that countdown we are all so familiar with.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I'm listening to the WTF episode with Dane Cook, and I have to say it's definitely raised my opinion of him. I still don't love his comedy, but it's good to see he's a normal human being underneath there who seems like fundamentally a good guy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

soru posted:

I'm listening to the WTF episode with Dane Cook, and I have to say it's definitely raised my opinion of him. I still don't love his comedy, but it's good to see he's a normal human being underneath there who seems like fundamentally a good guy.

Yeah after that episode I really changed my opinion on Dane Cook. I don't love his stand up either, but he seemed like a nice guy who maybe let his ego get ahead of him a few times in his life. He didn't seem like a bad guy at all.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I've had similar tragedy effect my life like Dane did. He still has a bit of an ego, but he certainly has changed his views a bit after his parents died. It was weird to relate, but it definitely changed the way I look at him too, though I may still not be a fan. Mencia still is and always will be a oval office, though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

That was such a great episode. I did love how Marc was ribbing him a little bit about the "you've stolen my ESSENCE" thing, but at the end of it you really feel like you get a different perspective on the guy.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Another episode released of Larry Miller's drinking stories. I think he has a problem :ohdear:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That was such a great episode. I did love how Marc was ribbing him a little bit about the "you've stolen my ESSENCE" thing, but at the end of it you really feel like you get a different perspective on the guy.

I remember how brutal Marc was that episode because he had JUST stopped smoking. Made that interview even better.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I remember how brutal Marc was that episode because he had JUST stopped smoking.

Hey hey. He quit smoking long ago. He ditched Nicotine. I need to re-listen to those confrontation episodes. Cringe worthy, but fun.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
So Tom was back on the Best Show and I was so happy the entire time. He played 40 minutes of Bowie and took calls from listeners, but it was still just about my favorite thing I have heard in a good long while.

I love him because absolutely nothing gets by him and he just does not let things go.

Hoping for some Wurster genius next week, but this took the edge off my Best Show jonesing for sure.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

NecronSchmecron posted:

Hey hey. He quit smoking long ago. He ditched Nicotine. I need to re-listen to those confrontation episodes. Cringe worthy, but fun.

Oh yeah, my mistake. But man, he was just so on edge for those few episodes after that, you could literally hear it in his voice.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Adam Carolla's show/interview with Mike Rowe is terrific. I prefer the show style episodes, but this was gold.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

NecronSchmecron posted:

No, what I'm saying is that he can't believe it's not butter. :v:

How'd you like that poo poo "No, but"?

Were I a robot, the logic paradox contained therein would surely be the end of me. Were I.

That said, Eddie Pepitone sucks at improv.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 21, 2010

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
So glad The Best Show is back, though I'm still waiting for it to be up on iTunes. Also, I checked out Podcast Eating Challenge on this thread's rec and I like it.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Song For The Deaf posted:

I'm going to plug another one of my podcasting projects, since it seems to be in line with the thread:

Those drat Ross Kids

It's a show that I do with my brother, in a very similar vein to You Look Nice Today with a little Uhh Yeah Dude mixed in. We're keeping the episodes short right now, but they've been getting a good response. I submit it for your approval, and welcome any feedback.

iTunes link.
This post is a little old but I just got through listening to a couple episodes of this, and you guys aren't bad. The only problem is that the music you use for transitions is what I would call ear rape, at the absolute best. Holy poo poo it's obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Civil posted:

Adam Carolla's show/interview with Mike Rowe is terrific. I prefer the show style episodes, but this was gold.

The amount of stupidity in this interview was at an all time high... relationship with dirt? What the hell are they talking about? The technology that allows some of us to not be dirty when we come home from work didn't exist 100 loving years ago.

The reason our GDP was high 100 years ago has little to do with people being dirty, it's because we were PRODUCING things.

• Locked thread