Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'm a contractor and I'm giving the evil eye to every GS in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Gawain The Blind posted:

Apply for everything. At worst if you aren't back in time to start a job you end up getting, you tell them you made a mistake and won't be back until X time. They may just let you show up then if its not crazy. At best you'll get back at exactly the right time after its taken them months to finally call you.

Your husband and family shouldn't be an issue, but I don't know for sure. It also probably depends on what level of security clearance your profession requires. At higher levels I am willing to bet it does matter, even if they don't tell you that.

Great, thanks for this. Should I write down that I can't start until July 2011 or should I pretend I can start immediately so they don't just ignore my application? Honestly, I'm willing to drop my masters for a well paying job right now but I don't know how well that would go over. Also, I'm assuming I should answer all of the questions on the assessment questionnaire honestly? I've had loads of academic experience in the jobs I'm applying for, plus a few internships but no independent experience. For example, the questions all ask me to choose from these options:

A I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
B I have had education or training in performing the task, but have not yet performed it on the job.
C I have performed this task on the job. My work on this task was monitored closely by a supervisor or senior employee to ensure compliance with proper procedures.
D I have performed this task as a regular part of a job. I have performed it independently and normally without review by a supervisor or senior employee.
E I am considered an expert in performing this task. I have supervised performance of this task or am normally the person who is consulted by other workers to assist them in doing this task because of my expertise.

I find myself putting C for most of them, but will this result in my application being thrown out immediately since it will result in a lower score? Thanks again!

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo

amethystbliss posted:

Great, thanks for this. Should I write down that I can't start until July 2011 or should I pretend I can start immediately so they don't just ignore my application? Honestly, I'm willing to drop my masters for a well paying job right now but I don't know how well that would go over. Also, I'm assuming I should answer all of the questions on the assessment questionnaire honestly? I've had loads of academic experience in the jobs I'm applying for, plus a few internships but no independent experience. For example, the questions all ask me to choose from these options:

B I have had education or training in performing the task, but have not yet performed it on the job.
C I have performed this task on the job. My work on this task was monitored closely by a supervisor or senior employee to ensure compliance with proper procedures.
D I have performed this task as a regular part of a job. I have performed it independently and normally without review by a supervisor or senior employee.
E I am considered an expert in performing this task. I have supervised performance of this task or am normally the person who is consulted by other workers to assist them in doing this task because of my expertise.

I find myself putting C for most of them, but will this result in my application being thrown out immediately since it will result in a lower score? Thanks again!

I would put the one you could justify in an interview. Don't fly through the questions only putting E only to get to the interview and have it be blatantly obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh
For anyone interested in entry level, check out the Air Force's Palace Acquire program here:
http://www.afciviliancareers.com/careers/hiringopportunities/students/palace/

They usually start recruiting at college campuses around this time of year. The schedule hasn't been posted yet, but there is an informational phone number on that website. I've known people who've been interviewed and hired on the spot (pending security clearance). Also, keep an eye on USA Jobs as positions are usually posted for only a week or so.

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh

amethystbliss posted:

It depends on the position, the number of applicants, and the hiring agency. For example, Library of Congress won't even look at an applicant who didn't answer E for each question. In fact, if you attend federal government hiring workshops, they'll usually tell you to answer with E as much as you possibly can. Don't answer E if you have zero experience, but if you think you can remotely justify your answer, go for it.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

gmilo posted:

I would put the one you could justify in an interview. Don't fly through the questions only putting E only to get to the interview and have it be blatantly obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

Then he/she will never make it through the automated system and will never get to interview consideration. This step is based on a formula. Blatant lying could get you in a rut, but if you're selecting "C" on every answer, you will never cert on any job and never make it to a human.

Justify your resume in an interview.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

amethystbliss posted:

Yeah we bitched about this earlier in the thread. Basically my position is that I answered honestly the first time I had to do one of those, and then later found out that almost all of the people I worked with didn't even bother reading the questions, they just slammed in the highest score possible. Most of them ended up with 100% scores. They told me that's SOP.

Your mileage my very. If it was me I would answer E if you think you could even sort of justify it somehow, either from previous experience or knowledge, however tenuous. I can only speak for an unnamed government institution for which I work that may or may not deal with taxes**, but they don't think they even look at your application if its less than 90%.

**we were told recently that we're not allowed to tell anyone who we work for.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Learned a surprising amount about the GAO today. Might have to look them up in the future if my current plan doesn't work out.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Gawain The Blind posted:

Yeah we bitched about this earlier in the thread. Basically my position is that I answered honestly the first time I had to do one of those, and then later found out that almost all of the people I worked with didn't even bother reading the questions, they just slammed in the highest score possible. Most of them ended up with 100% scores. They told me that's SOP.

Your mileage my very. If it was me I would answer E if you think you could even sort of justify it somehow, either from previous experience or knowledge, however tenuous. I can only speak for an unnamed government institution for which I work that may or may not deal with taxes**, but they don't think they even look at your application if its less than 90%.

**we were told recently that we're not allowed to tell anyone who we work for.
I've seen questions like that that also include a text box demanding you justify your answer

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.
Does anyone know if there's any significant disadvantage to uploading a resume instead of creating one on the USAJOBs website?

My primary reason for doing so is basically aesthetics.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Stop posted:

Does anyone know if there's any significant disadvantage to uploading a resume instead of creating one on the USAJOBs website?

The USAJOBS resume format will make you insert all the poo poo that the govt wants you to give them such as veteran's preference, DOB, etc.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Question. If you were under investigation for a security clearance before, but was neither confirmed nor denied midway during the investigation due to the position being retracted, would that give me some sort of edge?

I mean I guess their work is already halfway done.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Question. If you were under investigation for a security clearance before, but was neither confirmed nor denied midway during the investigation due to the position being retracted, would that give me some sort of edge?

I mean I guess their work is already halfway done.

No. Unless this was extremely recently, they wouldn't use any of that information. And different agencies sometimes don't even accept each others clearances.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Had a small heart attack today. Apparently I didn't go back far enough in a couple section so had my SF-86 sent back. Luckily I could fix it quickly, but it definitely renewed my sense of "oh god what if I get denied."

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

CherryCola posted:

Had a small heart attack today. Apparently I didn't go back far enough in a couple section so had my SF-86 sent back. Luckily I could fix it quickly, but it definitely renewed my sense of "oh god what if I get denied."

SSBI? Or just forgot to go to 7? Either way glad you got it fixed up.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I went to 7, but I guess they wanted me to go all the way to my 18th birthday.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

For you other aspiring gubmint employees/policy wonks, there's two events coming up I thought I'd share:

November 2nd- The Institute for Security and Conflict Studies is hosting an event entitled "Fighting Corruption in the Wars in Iraq & Afghanistan" with Stuart W. Bowen, Jr and Stephen Biddle.

November 9th- CNAS is hosting a book signing/lecture for Robert Kaplan's new book "Monsoon" regarding the future of naval power in the Indian Ocean.

I'll be attending both. If you're interested in time/details, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the information- I hesitate to post it on a quasi-open forum lest LF decides to register Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and Juba x 10,000.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Unfortunately I don't have PM but could you hit me up at [redacted]?

Edit: Thanks, I appreciate it.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 13, 2011

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Sent. Please tell me that's the address you use to apply for jobs.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Wanted to echo what other people have said - use the shotgun approach and apply for everything you are even remotely qualified for. And be prepared to wait, as it can easily take a year or longer, especially if a full background check is required - dont quit your job or stop looking for one just because you get a letter saying you are qualified or even tenatively offered a gig - wait until you have a firm start date.

I had my heart set on one job (which I didnt get), but applied for at least 7 or 8. I applied for one job and after about a year I got a letter explaining that they had so many applicants they were overwhelmed and just cancelled the opening. Ended up getting a job I had never even heard of before and in the end I think it worked out much better. Ive seen people with just about perfect qualifications not get a job, and people I would consider totally unqualified get one, so dont get discouraged because you dont make the cut the first time, the process is very mechanical.

Its also important to mention that in addition to grade increases (GS-5 to GS-7 after one year for example) and step increases (GS-7 step 1 to step 2) govt employees generally get a decent cost of living increase every year - usually like 2-3% or so depending on how congress and the president feel about it. May not sound like a fortune but after 5 years or so it can add up. For example when I started a GS-7 in my area made $33k. Now, a brand new GS-7 makes over 42k.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So DSS just called me asking me if I wanted to come in and take a written and oral exam in December.

I had to turn it down because I just started a full-time job I rather like and can't afford to take any personal days from my start date next week till at least February.

Please tell me I did not just colossally gently caress up and the test being offered is as common as the FSOT.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Boondock Saint posted:

So DSS just called me asking me if I wanted to come in and take a written and oral exam in December.

I had to turn it down because I just started a full-time job I rather like and can't afford to take any personal days from my start date next week till at least February.

Please tell me I did not just colossally gently caress up and the test being offered is as common as the FSOT.

Yes you are OK. I know a lot of people who have taken the BEX. But you can only do it every year and they stagger the job postings so it's really more like every 2 years. I would've tried to do it personally but you know your situation best!

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Stop posted:

I wouldn't worry about that unless you're in some kind of design-related career field. When I review hiring packets I prefer the applications from USAJobs because I know right where to find all of the information that I am interested in.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Tyro posted:

Yes you are OK. I know a lot of people who have taken the BEX. But you can only do it every year and they stagger the job postings so it's really more like every 2 years. I would've tried to do it personally but you know your situation best!

I would have loved to be honest. I did ask if they had alternate times or evening testing and they said no to both, so I tried and they were polite about it either way. If I was unemployed still or was working somewhere that I didn't give a poo poo about, I totally would have scheduled anyways and figured something out.

Hearing that at least its not like I just threw away the hardest test to get into though does make me feel better. That would have been the icing to top my lovely day.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Boondock Saint posted:

I would have loved to be honest. I did ask if they had alternate times or evening testing and they said no to both, so I tried and they were polite about it either way. If I was unemployed still or was working somewhere that I didn't give a poo poo about, I totally would have scheduled anyways and figured something out.

Hearing that at least its not like I just threw away the hardest test to get into though does make me feel better. That would have been the icing to top my lovely day.

Yeah if you have a Bachelor's it's relatively easy to get to the BEX (most people don't pass the first time).

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boondock Saint posted:

Holy hell I think they just called me too, but I was in the other room and they didn't leave a voicemail. Number says private so I can't say for sure.

I really hope they will call back, whoever they are.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Holy hell I think they just called me too, but I was in the other room and they didn't leave a voicemail. Number says private so I can't say for sure.

Yeah that had to be them. It was a private number that called me.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

They'll call back. Good luck!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Thank goodness for helpful federal employees. I had a second freakout yesterday because I realized I hadn't told them that I started working a temp job the day after I submitted my paperwork. So I emailed the same guy who told me to fix my E-Qip and he basically told me I'd be able to just tell them when I have my background investigation interview. Really simple information, but it did a lot to calm my mind to realize that they aren't going to stamp me with an automatic denial because of something simple like that.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Guys who got the DSS BEX call, or thought you got the call, mind saying what location you would be interviewing in? I've heard they go location by location in scheduling. Trying to figure out if I should spend the day staring at my phone waiting for it to ring.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Kase Im Licht posted:

Guys who got the DSS BEX call, or thought you got the call, mind saying what location you would be interviewing in? I've heard they go location by location in scheduling. Trying to figure out if I should spend the day staring at my phone waiting for it to ring.

I didn't apply but a friend of mine got a call for DC region.

The Mic
Aug 27, 2003

Over the hills and far away

CherryCola posted:

Don't worry, it happens a lot. When I did my initial SSBI, I got call from my investigator that it had been kicked back because "You didn't list any employment history from 1995-1998." He even said it with a note of suspicion in his voice. I replied, "Er, yeah...I was in middle school."

Point is, having to go back for more info isn't a big deal. If there isn't a readily apparent reason why you'd be denied, you'll almost certainly be fine.

The Mic fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 20, 2010

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Kase Im Licht posted:

I'm in the DC area.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boondock Saint posted:

I'm in the DC area.

As am I. Haven't gotten the call back though. drat why did I have to cook that chili?

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Alright, I guess I will spend the rest of the day (week?) staring at my phone and waiting for that call.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Boondock Saint posted:

Uh... you know you could ask people in the FSOT to ask actual DS agents about the process. I mean, the 40 agents who entered my hire class I'm sure didn't pass anything similar to what you're going through............ Good luck.

mzandrea
Dec 17, 2001
hay guys, hows about I post a bunch of spoilers no-one wants to see then act like a smarmy douchebag when I get called on it?
I applied for a job through usajobs.gov. They marked me eligible but resume not sent on because, "Only Veterans with 10 Point Preference are being referred at this time." It wasn't a veterans only job, but I guess they had some qualified candidates apply. Now, the status has been changed to cancelled, and I get the note, "This vacancy is being filled through another source."

Does anyone have any insight into what is going on? What other source?

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

mzandrea posted:

I applied for a job through usajobs.gov. They marked me eligible but resume not sent on because, "Only Veterans with 10 Point Preference are being referred at this time." It wasn't a veterans only job, but I guess they had some qualified candidates apply. Now, the status has been changed to cancelled, and I get the note, "This vacancy is being filled through another source."

Does anyone have any insight into what is going on? What other source?

My guess is that you met the eligibility requirements for the position, but you didn't score high enough. If you score 100 and there are enough 10 point preference veterans that score from 91 to 100 (before adding their 10 points), you won't get referred since they have scores of 101-110.

There may have been a separate announcement for the same position for candidates with federal status (it could even be limited to current agency employees, if they had someone in mind to promote). If there was a separate announcement and the hiring official saw a good candidate on the merit promotion plan list, he or she might choose to just cancel the announcement you applied for and fill the job from the status announcement. The hiring official also could have selected someone with a disability who qualifies under Schedule A. Again this is all speculation, but what actually happened was probably something similar to what I described.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
Wow filling out the SF86 is a pain in the rear end when you are 31 years old, and have worked a ton of part time jobs while going through college. only on section 13 after an hour lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mzandrea
Dec 17, 2001
hay guys, hows about I post a bunch of spoilers no-one wants to see then act like a smarmy douchebag when I get called on it?

JohnnyHildo posted:

My guess is that you met the eligibility requirements for the position, but you didn't score high enough. If you score 100 and there are enough 10 point preference veterans that score from 91 to 100 (before adding their 10 points), you won't get referred since they have scores of 101-110.

There may have been a separate announcement for the same position for candidates with federal status (it could even be limited to current agency employees, if they had someone in mind to promote). If there was a separate announcement and the hiring official saw a good candidate on the merit promotion plan list, he or she might choose to just cancel the announcement you applied for and fill the job from the status announcement. The hiring official also could have selected someone with a disability who qualifies under Schedule A. Again this is all speculation, but what actually happened was probably something similar to what I described.

It was for the new armed forces retirement home that opened two weeks ago, but I guess maybe they could have promoted someone at the dc location and moved them to gulfport, ms? Who would see a move to gulfport, ms from dc as a promotion? Oh well.