Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Wyatt posted:

Her point is that, contrary to popular belief, the phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear in the Constitution.

Actually, if you watch it later, I don't think it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miwSljJAzqg&t=425s

Coons: The first amendment says that the Congress shall make no establishment of religion.

O'Donnell: ...that's in the first amendment? :smug:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

BigHead posted:

What the hell why would he immediately fire everyone? Is he going to do all the work in the office himself?

edit: oh you said he only fired you. Why did he immediately fire you? Please tell me he ran on a tea party platform and you refused to donate to his campaign.

There were 5 other attorneys in the office, 1 was the county attorney who quit, the others quit because they didn't want to work with the incoming guy(and one got the job I sent a resume in for), another attorney is going to work with the incoming guy to help him out, even though he pledged way back when his campaign first started to fire that attorney specifically upon assuming office; I was left alone and he had already pledged the few slots in the county attorney's office budget to friends of his. I had never worked with or even really seen the incoming guy before he fired me. So he fired me to make room for his buddies.

Anyhow, rumor has it that he's evidently already dismissing poo poo that he would have to conflict out of because he was a defense attorney in the jurisdiction he was in.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 20, 2010

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

builds character posted:

also, from above the law. I assume folks have seen this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

oh well nevermind!!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
i like the sparkling heathcliff cat av

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
bourbon. brownest of the brown liquors. what's that?

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

previous page = amazing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just relax, and remember that I love you

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/10/20/joe_miller_employment/index.html

quote:

Alaska GOP Senate candidate and Tea Partier Joe Miller, who is already under fire for breaking ethics rules while working as an attorney in 2008, had a rocky tenure at an earlier job at a top Anchorage law firm, his former supervisor tells Salon.

After graduating from Yale Law School in 1995, Miller moved to Anchorage to take a job as an associate at the firm then known as Condon Partnow & Sharrock. Attorney David Shoup was Miller's supervisor during the end of Miller's three-year tenure at the firm, and he tells Salon of Miller's departure: "We at this firm were not eager to have him stay, and so when he announced he was leaving, we were relieved."

joe miller is literally remedial minus the dick pics and foreclosure scheme

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Petey posted:

Still two weeks until the election, I wouldn't be so sure about that "without".

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Jobs? What jobs?

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 20, 2010

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Petey posted:

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/10/20/joe_miller_employment/index.html

Good thing the Tea Party is standing up to the Washington Elites with candidates who went to real American no-name schools, instead of those fancy elite east coast schools

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
BC Law student asks for money back

quote:

A third-year Boston College Law School student facing dismal job prospects and a mountain of student loan debt has offered the prestigious Hub institution a unique deal: Keep the degree ... and give me back my tuition!

In an open letter to BC Law’s Interim Dean George Brown posted on EagleiOnline— an online student-run newspaper at BC’s law school — the anonymous dissatisfied customer said soon-to-be grads are about to enter “one of the worst job markets in the history of our profession” and an “overwhelming majority” of them can’t find jobs.

“We are discouraged, scared, and in many cases, feeling rather hopeless about our chances of ever getting to practice law,” the student wrote.

MORE:
http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1290088

These articles are starting to scare me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Petey posted:

Yes, but he went to YLS.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Direwolf posted:

Good thing the Tea Party is standing up to the Washington Elites with candidates who went to real American no-name schools, instead of those fancy elite east coast schools

Slate and TPM have been rightfully tearing this guy a new one. He campaigns against basically all forms of public assistance but he or his family members have received unemployment, farm subsidies and state-assisted healthcare.

When confronted about it he rationalized it by saying it was basically a "needed helping hand during a transitional time period" (i.e. I DESERVED IT NOT LIKE THE NIGGERS)

The man is human garbage.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Defleshed posted:

Slate and TPM have been rightfully tearing this guy a new one. He campaigns against basically all forms of public assistance but he or his family members have received unemployment, farm subsidies and state-assisted healthcare.

When confronted about it he rationalized it by saying it was basically a "needed helping hand during a transitional time period" (i.e. I DESERVED IT NOT LIKE THE NIGGERS)

The man is human garbage.
I was once so poor I got food stamps, I lived in public housing, and was getting unemployment. But I pulled myself up by my own bootstraps by going to a UC with loans while living in that public housing and getting free cheese. I didn't get any government assistance, I did it myself, why should these people get handouts?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

nm posted:

I was once so poor I got food stamps, I lived in public housing, and was getting unemployment. But I pulled myself up by my own bootstraps by going to a UC with loans while living in that public housing and getting free cheese. I didn't get any government assistance, I did it myself, why should these people get handouts?

There are poor people and then there are poor black people.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

There are poor people and then there are poor black people.

Don't forget about Mexican poor people. The most illegal of them all.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

Don't forget about Mexican poor people. The most illegal of them all.

I don't like them most of all.
1st) They steal people's Social Security #'s and then never collect Social Security.
2nd) They pay income tax on their income but never collect the refunds
3rd) They pay sales tax with out access to most of the benefits the state provides.

How dare they have jobs and send their kids to school!

:argh:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I don't like them most of all.
1st) They steal people's Social Security #'s and then never collect Social Security.
2nd) They pay income tax on their income but never collect the refunds
3rd) They pay sales tax with out access to most of the benefits the state provides.

How dare they have jobs and send their kids to school!

:argh:

4th) Their tacos are too goddamned tasty.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's amazing how no matter what the subject matter, every single reply in this thread is only a single degree away from tacochat.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

diospadre posted:

It's amazing how no matter what the subject matter, every single reply in this thread is only a single degree away from tacochat.

"Thinking like a lawyer" is mostly thinking about tacos.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please edit out that post, you're giving away secrets we paid $100k for.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
Yale educated tax professor just told our entire class that if we didn't get jobs in big tax firms now, we would never be able to break into the industry and that if we chose the federal government or a small firm it would probably limit us and leave us penniless in a gutter.

She just got here from Skadden. I don't think she gets how hosed we are.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
Any space lawyers here? We need some guidance in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358464

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

poofactory posted:

Any space lawyers here? We need some guidance in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358464
Why, are you planning on going up into space and killing somebody? :raise:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Every time someone tells me, "Hey, you majored in history and political science, you should totally go to law school!" I think of this thread and wish I could just show them that and be done with it.

Guess I can use this instead.
http://gawker.com/5669165/law-student-wants-tuition-back-because-they-cant-find-a-job

Or the youtube video posted earlier...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

BC Law student asks for money back

These articles are starting to scare me.

I've posted that idea on facebook or whatever but I never thought to try an open letter. I didn't even realize I could do it anonymously, I wish I had that idea

I really would, given the opportunity, trade in my license and J.D. for my money and employability back. In a heartbeat. You could tattoo "DO NOT ALLOW TO SIT FOR BAR AGAIN" on my forehead (in very tiny letters I guess) if you wanted to make sure I wouldn't try and get out of the deal, I don't mind

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I know it's too late to hope on jobs, but that doesn't stop me!

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Justice Breyer swung by today, and I got him to sign a comic

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Red Bean Juice posted:

haha

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Red Bean Juice posted:

hahahahahah that's really cool

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Red Bean Juice posted:

Frame that poo poo and save it forever.

Jeffrey Toobin needs to see this.

Also lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/20/scalia-thomas-koch-industries_n_769843.html

quote:

On Tuesday evening, the New York Times reported that an upcoming meeting in Palm Springs of "a secretive network of Republican donors" that was being organized by Koch Industries, "the longtime underwriter of libertarian causes." Buried in the third to last graph was a note that previous guests at such meetings included Supreme Court Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas, two of the more conservative members of the bench.

But the Koch event appears more political than, say, the Aspen Ideas festival. In its own invitation, it was described as a "twice a year" gathering "to review strategies for combating the multitude of public policies that threaten to destroy America as we know it." In addition, it's not entirely clear what the two Justices did at the Koch event. A copy of the invitation that served as the basis for the Times's report was posted by the liberal blog Think Progress. It provided no additional clues. A call to the Supreme Court and an email to a Koch Industries spokesperson meanwhile were not immediately returned.

:allears:

Petey fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 21, 2010

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

http://blogs.delawareonline.com/dialoguedelaware/2010/10/20/coons-and-odonnell-have-constitution-fight-round-two/

quote:

After a often testy debate yesterday in which the candidates for the U.S. Senate squared off about the Constitution, today they were at it again.

During a debate hosted by WHYY that will air tonight, Democrat Chris Coons and Republican Christine O’Donnell were again asked about their views on the Constitution.

Instead of separation of church and state, this time they were asked about the role of the federal government and what limitations should be placed on it.

O’Donnell argued that the government has overstepped its bounds and is now telling Americans “everything from what kind of Band-Aid you put on your kids knee to what kind of bread you put on your family’s table.”

Coons argued that the federal government plays an important role within its powers and that O’Donnell would “dismantle” the feds.

O’Donnell also returned to yesterday’s debate, saying she would be remiss to point out that Coons wouldn’t name the five freedoms of the First Amendment, listing four of them herself. Coons responded by pointing out that she had omitted “assembly.”
(lol)

O’Donnell also appeared better prepared this time, holding up a copy of the Constitution during the debate. Yesterday, when asked about the 14th and 16th amendments, she responded that she didn’t know which those were saying, “I didn’t bring my Constitution with me. Fortunately, senators don’t have to memorize the Constitution, can you remind me what the others are?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK_x9oZOdjo

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Red Bean Juice posted:

That's awesome. You have fans at my TTT, please keep making and posting.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Green Crayons posted:

That's awesome. You have fans at my TTT, please keep making and posting.

Seriously. Same here; I love all of these, as do a lot of my friends.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

^^^ Thanks! I'd do these more often, but it's so hard to come up with a good idea.

Oh, and a V80s firm randomly called to set up an interview Friday. See? Those resume books are good for something after all.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
To make the meter fit, you should change "have to" to "must"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
then change "on" to upon:

the FOUNDing FATHers WOULD be VEXED;
you MUST reLY upON the TEXT