Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Cross_ posted:

When sharpening images I can easily see the impact of the Masking slider in LR, but Amount, Radius, and Detail are somewhat elusive. Typically I just drag them around until something looks kind of okay.
Is there any "by numbers" approach to sharpening images? E.g. if your image size is X by Y, and it's a portrait, use Radius amount Z ?
This is a good general overview of what each slider does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ashex posted:

No idea where to post this so it's going here.

Anyone know how to adjust the EXIF date by one year for a group of photographs? I have a collection of shots that were sent to me and they managed to miss setting the year on the camera so it's loving with lightroom :(

ExifTool is a command line thing I've used in the past for batch edits:

http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

But I'm one of those nerds that enjoy writing scripts, so this may not do it for you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

Anyone got a nice shot that is a bit noisy they'd be willing to give me as a full resolution to demonstrate my noise reduction technique? b j m foto (at) g mail dot com

I'll send you the full size of the picture I posted before if you like. You want JPEG or the RAW?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

DJExile posted:

I'll send you the full size of the picture I posted before if you like. You want JPEG or the RAW?

Raw

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone tell me what these photos have had done to them in post?
http://www.worlddriftseries.com/fd2010/so/part2_large/index.html

The colours and everything seem to 'pop' much more than any of mine and I'm wondering how it's done. Just saturation increases or what? I can't seem to do it :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A5H posted:

The colours and everything seem to 'pop' much more than any of mine and I'm wondering how it's done. Just saturation increases or what? I can't seem to do it :(

Do you have an example of your images? Photos under that link don't seem to be abnormally saturated. They just look like they're perfectly focused under good light.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

A5H posted:

Looks to me like he is probably increasing his contrast a bit as well, which does have a tendency of making colors "pop" more under proper lighting conditions.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

xzzy posted:

Do you have an example of your images? Photos under that link don't seem to be abnormally saturated. They just look like they're perfectly focused under good light.

http://www.driftworks.com/2010/09/jdm-allstars-silverstone/

There's mine.

So did I do something wrong when shooting them??

They just don't pop at all in comparison and look boring as hell :(

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

A5H posted:

There's mine.

Well I can see that this one is underexposed. Since the car is mostly white the camera underexposed it just like it does snow. Take it back into LR and push the exposure to just under clipping (hold the alt key) then see what it looks like. If it's too much then back it off until it looks natural. You can do the same in Photoshop's Raw editor dialog.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A5H posted:

There's mine.

You were shooting on an overcast day.. the guy you linked was shooting under clear skies. Your later shots with the sun out are much more vibrant.

So you didn't do anything wrong, other than not being born with the ability to control the weather.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

A5H posted:

There's mine.

Pretty sure they blurred the background. I can't see the EXIF, so I can't be sure, but I seriously doubt those were all shot with super low apertures and got everything perfectly in focus like that.

It kind of seems like he had better angles (or position on the track) too - cars are one of the few subjects that harsh lighting/direct sun can actually be a benefit, as it really makes metallics look good. It almost looks like all of your photos are taken in shade, which doesn't really do much to enhance a cars colors.

Like for instance:
His

yours

Also all of his photos are taken at lower angles, which helps quite a bit I think.

Just to say though, yours are pretty good, nice pan shots.

subx fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 13, 2010

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I dunno. Even when it was sunny like here: http://cdn.driftworks.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_0363.jpg it still doesn't look as good.
So you guys reckon that dude's shots came straight from the camera almost then?
I guess I should step up my shooting game rather than worrying about post.

E: Also maybe a busier background helps? I notice he has more to pan against.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

A5H posted:

I dunno. Even when it was sunny like here: http://cdn.driftworks.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_0363.jpg it still doesn't look as good.

I didn't notice that one, that one looks a lot better in my opinion though than the shaded ones. Blur the background to the extent his is in some shots and it would be closer to his. Unfortunately that angle isn't quite as good for drift shots as the "on the road" type thing, but it would still work.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is he doing that in post though or like shooting wide open with some ND filters on?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

A5H posted:

Is he doing that in post though or like shooting wide open with some ND filters on?

Maybe a bit of both? It seems too perfect in some shots, but they are definitely nice photos to begin with (you can't make a bad photo good, but you can make a good photo better with post)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Looking through his flickr I can't decide: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coldtrackdays/tags/larrychen/

I've never shot at 400mm so I guess that's what F4 looks like without post anyway?
Shooting at iso50 also which I don't have.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A5H posted:

Background does help on panning shots, even if it's blurry it helps fill in the picture. It adds color too. Tracks aren't designed to be scenery however, so it's rarely something you can control. Cropping the picture down so the vehicle fills the frame can help this.

Also note how his shots in the sun lack specular highlights.. so not only did he have great lighting, he had a great angle where he could get the vehicle fully lit without a bunch of reflections.

But again, with the way race tracks are designed, getting those angles is very difficult. Especially at Silverstone.. which has spectators approximately a thousand miles from the track surface. You'll need special access to get to the sweet spots.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

A5H posted:

Looking through his flickr I can't decide: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coldtrackdays/tags/larrychen/

I've never shot at 400mm so I guess that's what F4 looks like without post anyway?
Shooting at iso50 also which I don't have.

Well seeing as he's using 15k worth of equipment between the lens and camera I'm sure that doesn't hurt things. Full frame + huge zoom gives you a pretty small depth of field. I still think some of the backgrounds have been touched up a bit though.

subx fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 13, 2010

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ah okay!

xzzy posted:

Background does help on panning shots, even if it's blurry it helps fill in the picture. It adds color too. Tracks aren't designed to be scenery however, so it's rarely something you can control. Cropping the picture down so the vehicle fills the frame can help this.

Also note how his shots in the sun lack specular highlights.. so not only did he have great lighting, he had a great angle where he could get the vehicle fully lit without a bunch of reflections.

But again, with the way race tracks are designed, getting those angles is very difficult. Especially at Silverstone.. which has spectators approximately a thousand miles from the track surface. You'll need special access to get to the sweet spots.

This was with a press pass :( I only have 200mm maximum length though. Silverstone sucks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

Raw

I'll send it as soon as I get home from work.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've been messing with processing in Lightroom, was wondering whether I could get some feedback from this image:

Original:

DSC_0688 by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Processed:

DSC_0688.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

I was trying to make the houses pop more, but I think I overdid it. Plus, I wish I could get the sky to be actually blue, but I'm guessing that's not possible.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Treat the blue house, sky, and water separately. Sky is a weird color, blue fluorescent shadows on everything else is also just making it look like photoshoppy. You need to be more specific with your adjustments.

I think adding density would get your sky more blue. Brush in a slight exposure adjustment into the light areas.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A5H posted:

Ah okay!

This was with a press pass :( I only have 200mm maximum length though. Silverstone sucks.

Yes, there's a reason you see guys at tracks with lenses the size of whale dicks. 200mm can technically be sufficient, especially on a crop sensor and some judicious cropping, but you gotta get into the 400mm range to really hug up to the cars.

Safety regulations at most tracks make photography a pain. I'm glad a flying tire won't decapitate me, but I wanna be closer! :argh:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

xzzy posted:

ExifTool is a command line thing I've used in the past for batch edits:

http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

But I'm one of those nerds that enjoy writing scripts, so this may not do it for you.

Actually, I might not even have to deal with a script, I can apply the date shift to an entire folder according to this little bit. Thanks!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PIMM, it's sent. Look forward to seeing what you can do with it!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

DJExile posted:

The situation: Until I found the WF RAW extension or whatever, I only shot in "Large Superfine" JPEG mode because I didn't have any way to edit RAW files. Now, my biggest issue is noise (Oly shootin' gently caress yeah :toot: ) when I can get bitchin' moments like this...

...that are so noisy that a black kid has specks of orange in his skin :psyduck:

Outside of this, I'm really just adjusting W/B when needed, maybe rotating pictures a bit, then crop and resize. The noise is the biggest issue. I graduated college in 2006, so that's out.

I have to do the writeup tomorrow, but here it is after denoising.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

I have to do the writeup tomorrow, but here it is after denoising.

That's a hundred times nicer. drat.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know if this belongs here or not, but:

Is there a way to have Lightroom 3.2 automatically apply lens correction (if available) on import? I don't have my camera underhand right now so I can't do a test import, but I'm going through a few photos shot earlier with my new Sigma lens and I'm having to manually enable lens correction for each photo I imported.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't see a way to do it upon import, but you can work around it (until you find a better way?) by checking the lens correction box on a single picture, highlighting all the pictures taken by that lens, and syncing the settings (ctrl + shift + s)

Just make sure that if you do it at the end of your LR processing to uncheck all the other boxes in the sync settings dialog box.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Martytoof posted:

I don't know if this belongs here or not, but:

Is there a way to have Lightroom 3.2 automatically apply lens correction (if available) on import? I don't have my camera underhand right now so I can't do a test import, but I'm going through a few photos shot earlier with my new Sigma lens and I'm having to manually enable lens correction for each photo I imported.
Make a preset!

(make sure the image you use to make this preset has the profile correction on)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Actually, I took what you just said and I made a new Develop Preset with only Lens Correction enabled. I called it "Apply Lens Correction". I know you can apply Develop Presets when you import, so there's a chance that it will automatically enable lens correction and auto-detect the lens that was used.

I only have one lens so I can't really test that theory, but I'll take some photos tomorrow and see if it auto-imports with lens correction enabled.

edit: drat it MrBland, I just typed this up and hit submit and saw that you beat me to it :haw:

Do you know if it will auto-profile the lens based on the input image, or will it take the lens profile of the photo you were on when you created the preset? That's pretty much the only thing I can't test since I only have one lens at the moment.

As an aside, I literally had never even considered lens correction before I read about it recently. I wonder how many of my previous photos are all warped and distorted that could easily have been corrected.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 21, 2010

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Do you know if it will auto-profile the lens based on the input image, or will it take the lens profile of the photo you were on when you created the profile? That's pretty much the only thing I can't test since I only have one lens at the moment.
That's actually the reason why I didn't recommend doing it that way, I had a feeling it might take whatever settings were for the particular lens.

quote:

I wonder how many of my previous photos are all warped and distorted that could easily have been corrected.
What lens are you currently using, and what ones have you used? Correction barely does anything on my 100L, but did quite a bit on my 17-50 Tamron shots. It also ruins the 3d effect of my zeiss lens, so I make sure to never use it on any of those.

e: Looking at the picture up there makes it look as if it will read and apply the correct lens profile.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Right now I'm using a Sigma 30 1.4 on a Nikon and it has a pretty significant straightening effect. Before this I basically used a ton of lenses, between Pentax and Canon. It's no big deal, more of a "hey I wonder" type of thing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a big new update for Aperture 3 users.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

DJExile posted:

That's a hundred times nicer. drat.

http://mr-chompers.blogspot.com/2010/10/noise-reduction.html Full writeup

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fantastic, thanks!

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

MrBlandAverage posted:

Make a preset!

(make sure the image you use to make this preset has the profile correction on)

Dammit all to hell. A good idea in Lightroom that I haven't thought of. :colbert:

thanks, it's awesome!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is a hell of a writeup, poop. You are a post wizard. The output looks just as good as any image I've run through Dfine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, while we're sort of talking about Lightroom, is there any way to operate on a single stack of photos in Library's Grid view? Like for example if in my last import I had 2 unique photos, then a stack of 8 photos stacked by similar capture time, then 2 more unique photos, then another stack of 6 or so. Is there any way to isolate just the first stack of eight photos and look at those individually, to the exclusion of everything else in grid view?

Hopefully what I'm asking for makes sense because I don't feel I described it very well.

edit: Though I guess that's what Survey view is for, technically.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

edit: Though I guess that's what Survey view is for, technically.
Pretty much! Or a temp collection.

• Locked thread