Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

MotoMind posted:

How do people feel about prospects on VIPSX Inflation Protected Securities-based ETF ? Realistically my timeframe of concern is at least 5 to 10 years, but my present preoccupation is to not enter the fund when it is reflecting an overvaluation on bond prices.

It has had a remarkable 10% run-up in price year to date, continuing to gain despite murmurings about potential deflation. Now everybody says that it is a fool's errand to try to time the bond market, but at the same time I have a hard time believing that TIPS bonds could really be worth over 10% more than they were 10 months ago. Perhaps I don't understand how the net asset value is being calculated on this fund, or perhaps I don't understand the underlying inflation projections that support a massive rise in the market value of TIPS bonds.

TIPS returned 11%-ish in 2009 as well. They went from undervalued end of '08 (yielding close to 3% REAL) to overvalued today (neg real yield on 5-yr TIPS, less than .5% on 10-yr... again REAL not nominal). Runup happened for the same reason nominal bonds rallied: declining yields. Time to buy was end of 2008 in the midst of the liquidity crisis. Time to sell is now. FWIW, end of 2008, my entire portfolio was nearly 60% TIPS (an outrageous amount for someone my age during normal financial conditions). It is less than 5% now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Thoogsby posted:

Yeah they missed iPad sales but they also just posted an all time best in revenue and after-tax income.

Which was 100% expected and not remotely surprising, the downsides were a little surprising though- particularly the ipad and the margins. Thus the drop. You do realize AAPL is up something like 80% over the past year right? The market is hardly missing their success.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I was finally part of an errant trade. :3:

NYSE Breaks Trades of S&P 500 ETF at 9.6% Below Opening Price

My short order for 700 shares got filled at $106.46. Cause by a software update problem... good work Arca.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mik posted:

I was finally part of an errant trade. :3:

NYSE Breaks Trades of S&P 500 ETF at 9.6% Below Opening Price

My short order for 700 shares got filled at $106.46. Cause by a software update problem... good work Arca.
That...is a pretty sizeable order there. Why would you put in a short order $12 below the spot price?

The article mentions this in regard to the May 6 flash crash: "The 104-page study released Oct. 1 said trading software known as an algorithm linked the rate at which it traded the E- Mini contract to overall market volume."

Yes, trading software is known as "an algorithm". :rolleyes:

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I had a market-on-close short order, you can expect some price movement on a market-on-close orders but $12 times 700 in the wrong direction on the SPY? It had me worried, but it became obvious it was going to be broken.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Jackal posted:

On the other hand, who else wants to gamble with STX and the bid to take the company private, They are suppose to announce something near the end of the week... but then everyone is downgrading STX (maybe a sign that the private takeover is going to low ball the shareholders?).

STX being 7.5B + ~2B in debt, so unless the private bid is over 10B, this is going to be a flop.

edit: speculation with WSJ
I don't know why someone would try taking Seagate private instead of Western Digital, WDC has more cash than Seagate and no debt.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ow.

Duey posted:

Crap, I got out of the market in late August anticipating a long slow decline. I feel like an idiot now seeing how much everything has gone up. I know as soon as I jump back in I'll just get hammered though. At least I didn't lose money, but it would have felt good to make some.
Well, if you were waiting for a drop...

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 19, 2010

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I knew this would happen; I was just making too much drat money.

But I'm surprised to see Seagate dropping too. I would have thought the buyout would have dominated events, and they are still stealing the company.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
Listened to the AAPL conference call and Jobs is really going on the offensive when it comes to Android. He basically predicts the failure of all their 7in. tablets and questions the stability of the tablet software. I think they made a good choice with the $499 entry level iPad in order to compete with android.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

The Good posted:

Listened to the AAPL conference call and Jobs is really going on the offensive when it comes to Android. He basically predicts the failure of all their 7in. tablets and questions the stability of the tablet software. I think they made a good choice with the $499 entry level iPad in order to compete with android.
I don't know, to me it seems like he's getting really defensive, like everyone always wants to know how they're going to counter Android's increasing force, and he just snapped and went into a 5 minute Android rant on their earnings call, when all conversation should have been about their own company.

Also, I take back my "ow" from yesterday.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anyone have any stock market discussion forums they recommend?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Morningstar has a good selection of forums and topics.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Ow.

Post-election will probably see a sustained drop. One day drops like yesterday are just aberrations at the moment I think.

Also, NFLX reported, up about 10$. We'll see what it does tomorrow.

EDIT: Subscriber acquisition costs went way down as well. From 26$ last year this time to just over 19$ now. That's pretty huge. The biggest concern going into 3Q was that the cost for adding each subscriber was going to be too high.

Duey fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 20, 2010

goddinpotty
Sep 11, 2001

by Ozmaugh
Bid: 8.00 x 2500
Ask: 21.00 x 100

What the hell kind of a spread is this. I mean it's just from yahoo. But weird.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
What's the stock?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

goddinpotty posted:

Bid: 8.00 x 2500
Ask: 21.00 x 100

What the hell kind of a spread is this. I mean it's just from yahoo. But weird.

I think it's called a low/no volume pre-market spread.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Holy poo poo NFLX. Hits it out of the park again. Stock was up over $16 before hours, now up $19.03.

This fucker was only ~$40 in February.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

MrBigglesworth posted:

Holy poo poo NFLX. Hits it out of the park again. Stock was up over $16 before hours, now up $19.03.

Wow. I thought I made a good pick buying Apple in 2006 but Netflix is up about 500% since then compared to Apple's 400%. And most of Netflix's growth has been in the last year or two.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I owned some $1,000 worth of 6 months out $5 call options on GNW when it was around $1.00-$1.50. It got to $13 6 months later. I had sold when it was around $2.50.

I sold too early.

:'(

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

fighting to break through all time highs. I would think a large portion of the gains were due to people covering their shorts from the drop when it was in the $170. I would expect to see through the next week or so to see NFLX drop a little bit. (Unless AMZN comes out with amazing numbers and rallys the sector through the roof again).

I really have to stop buying Option spread -_-

In for STX (buyout?), NFLX (post-earning selling-off/short), AMZN (their earnings estimate is already in the stock at this point...).

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 21, 2010

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How would you like to be a short on this bad boy:

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
The beginning of QE2 ladies and gentleman.

LIVE today!

Sort of sad to see AMZN get stopped in its tracks. If it can't go up here how will the nasdaq ever hit 5k again?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jack posted:

The beginning of QE2 ladies and gentleman.

LIVE today!

Sort of sad to see AMZN get stopped in its tracks. If it can't go up here how will the nasdaq ever hit 5k again?

Without it?

Edit: Never mind :downs: You're right, 19% of QQQQ is pretty significant.

Double Edit: Wait, AMZN, not AAPL... What? That's just over 2%. I don't think it has such great growth prospects compared to higher proportion stocks in the index. :confused:

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 22, 2010

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

AMZN just erased todays gains post market.

NOK was up quite nicely today. I still think it's undervalued, but I'm sure everyone will disagree with me.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER

Fuschia tude posted:

Without it?

Edit: Never mind :downs: You're right, 19% of QQQQ is pretty significant.

Double Edit: Wait, AMZN, not AAPL... What? That's just over 2%. I don't think it has such great growth prospects compared to higher proportion stocks in the index. :confused:

I was thinking something similar regarding Amazon's growth prospects, in that I don't see how it can grow much more either. I don't follow it enough, so I'm not sure what national markets they're in, types of innovation they actualize, technology they have claim to, biggest legitimate competitor, etc. Typically when companies reach a certain point though, they just become big dividend monsters that go global and absorb other companies and cement themselves in the minds of the global market...or they deflate, get beaten out by more innovative and maneuverable companies, and just go into a death spiral. Pretty sure Amazon is more on track to grow into a similar species of the former.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Jabbu posted:

I was thinking something similar regarding Amazon's growth prospects, in that I don't see how it can grow much more either. I don't follow it enough, so I'm not sure what national markets they're in, types of innovation they actualize, technology they have claim to, biggest legitimate competitor, etc. Typically when companies reach a certain point though, they just become big dividend monsters that go global and absorb other companies and cement themselves in the minds of the global market...or they deflate, get beaten out by more innovative and maneuverable companies, and just go into a death spiral. Pretty sure Amazon is more on track to grow into a similar species of the former.

Amazon is huge in cloud computing right now. I would say the potential for revenue growth in that segment of their business dwarfs their online retailing. I'm just pissed I sold it about a month ago because I thought it was on a huge runup then, and haven't been able to buy it back.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

Sometimes I judge my stock picks on what's popular in my boring suburban neighborhood and I'm kicking myself for not getting in on Chipotle (CMG).

One opened at my local strip mall and it was always overcrowded. I looked into the stock when it was trading at something like $75 and I never invested after researching the company. I really hate myself after seeing Fridays numbers and the fact that its now breaking 200.

The Good fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 24, 2010

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Good posted:

Sometimes I judge my stock picks on what's popular in my boring suburban neighborhood and I'm kicking myself for not getting in on Chipotle (CMG).

One opened at my local strip mall and it was always overcrowded. I looked into the stock when it was trading at something like $75 and I never invested after researching the company. I really hate myself after seeing Fridays numbers and the fact that its now breaking 200.
Yeah, I wanted to buy it when it was around $50 when I began to notice that like half the customers there around lunch wore ties, but never did. Oh well.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Kind of a longshot but if anyone here has worked, or does work at Scotia Capital I would love to talk to you!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
NOV is off the chain today!

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Glad I held onto NFLX over the weekend, up almost 12 so far today. Selling out today, hopefully it'll hit 180.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
Long PWER ahead of earnings. Still short GME (well, actually, short GME for the third time).

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Still liking my strat of waiting till Nov 1st 1 hour before close to short EVERYTHING, BWHAHHA. My orig target was Dec though.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

ayekappy posted:

Still liking my strat of waiting till Nov 1st 1 hour before close to short EVERYTHING, BWHAHHA. My orig target was Dec though.

I've been toying with that idea too, but I have a feeling that the whole market will just go sideways until after the holidays and then start down. I've been looking around for some puts around March of 11, but haven't found anything that's piqued my interest yet.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
maybe more action on AMZN after AKAM's earnings announcement tomorrow? I would think a good report (not a miss) from AKAM (I doubt they will beat earnings on revenue or margin by too much since everyone else have been reporting pretty much as expected) would fuel speculations about AMZN's cloud holdings. This would probably grow over into NTAP, EQIX?

and NFLX... wtf?

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
I still think short 20+ bonds is the best trade. Yields have been on a gradual rise here even in the face of QE2.

I also think CYD can double here too and if the market really wants to get insane it can easily go over $100.

God help some of those high beta names out there if this market ever decides to have a minor sell off though. There doesn't seem to be any actual volume out there other than the computers pinging 100 shares back and forth to each other.

I remember last week watching CRM go up $2 on 20k shares total. Not as an opening print but like 30 minutes into trading. Can only imagine how many down $11 days like that eqix warning day if theres some real selling volume.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Wanted to share this article I found informative about the VIX and what the value of the VIX means in real terms (it is not solely a 'fear indicator' or something that has a -1 correlation with the market)

http://vixandmore.blogspot.com/2010/05/rule-of-16-and-vix-of-40.html

Also, how the VIX is calculated for the interested

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Nifty posted:

Wanted to share this article I found informative about the VIX and what the value of the VIX means in real terms (it is not solely a 'fear indicator' or something that has a -1 correlation with the market)

http://vixandmore.blogspot.com/2010/05/rule-of-16-and-vix-of-40.html

Also, how the VIX is calculated for the interested

I think you mis-pasted as both links are to Bill Luby's blog. Did you mean to link to this? It's rather enlightening to learn how the VIX is calculated (and see how it can temporarily be gamed).

Speaking of all things volatility, you may find this interesting. It's a volatility arb strategy the CBOE turned into a benchmark index. It basically aims to take advantage of the difference between IV cooked into options and the actual realized vol on the underlying.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I wanted to jump the gun, but only for a small lotto ticket purchase... still waiting for Nov 1st to put any real money into more likely scenarios... but you guys talking about CRM made me want to buy $40 of puts... Nov $60s. 10x.04. Just a fun little bet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought about doubling down on BRCM earnings yesterday with OOM calls to pair with my long position. I slept through that window.

Same opportunity with AKAM today. I wonder if I'm going to pass on it too.