Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Yeah dude, your article is killer. I'm forwarding it to my bro in lost cities, check 'em, they're doin this skramz revival poo poo right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

ChrisFarley posted:

Thanks a ton! Garbage Day asked me to write something about metalcore or screamo and I couldn't pass it up.

Holy poo poo yeah that is an excellent write up.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

ChrisFarley posted:

Thanks a ton! Garbage Day asked me to write something about metalcore or screamo and I couldn't pass it up.

Someone at CMHWAK(which is a skramz forum, has dudes from Fight Fair/Seeing Means More, You and I/In First Person and Caitlyn Bailey on it) asked if you happened to have experienced the 90's skram scene personally, and if you were in one of the more notable bands.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
No and no, but I would have loved to have been. Truth be told, I didn't get into screamo until 02, maybe. Some guy even got inordinately mad at me for leaving out Honeywell, but I wasn't really trying to do a history lesson.

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
Some guy posted a link to your article on facebook talking about how spot on it is. Youre (more) internet famous now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah the article made me put on Kodan Armada while reading it.

Also thanks for not being too hard on Thursday. Someday I hope I can shake Geoff Rickly's hand and thank him for keeping it real.

EDIT: One of my favorite way over-earnest lines in Skramz is "It's un-loving-called for" in Cops.

ChrisFarley posted:

No and no, but I would have loved to have been. Truth be told, I didn't get into screamo until 02, maybe. Some guy even got inordinately mad at me for leaving out Honeywell, but I wasn't really trying to do a history lesson.

"All The Footprints..." got me into screamo. It was a "rough" time in my life (HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA) and for an entire summer I pretty much didn't listen to anything because it didn't appeal to me until I stumbled upon that album and I was like "This is it. I don't need anymore music."

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 23, 2010

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Two tracks from the new Killing the Dream record are up on deathwishinc.com. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it next month.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

ChrisFarley posted:

Oh man I haven't listened to Yaphet Kotto since probably the last time we talked about them here, thanks for the reminder :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I put on the Honeywell discog this afternoon thanks to that :patriot:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Parachute Underwear posted:

Oh man I haven't listened to Yaphet Kotto since probably the last time we talked about them here, thanks for the reminder :)

Can we fight about their best album again? I still say "Syncopated Synthetic Laments for Love" even if it's just for "Circumstantial Evidence."

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

nth'ing the props for the article. Kidcrash AND Off Minor as recommendations though (YEEEES)? Not enough people put those two in "essential" recommendations for the genre

secondhand dog fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 23, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

Can we fight about their best album again? I still say "Syncopated Synthetic Laments for Love" even if it's just for "Circumstantial Evidence."

I'd go with that one too if only for "Reserved for Speaker." They're all good, though.

Edit: Wait, that song was on "The Killer Was In the Government Blankets". I change my vote.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 23, 2010

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

nth'ing the props for the article. Kidcrash AND Off Minor as recommendations though (YEEEES)? Not even people put those two in "essential" recommendations for the genre

I don't think I mentioned Saetia at all... on purpose :twisted:. Also, We Bury Our Dead Alive for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

We Bury Our Dead Alive is sweet, except that in the middle of Chime The Day they start playing the intro to War Pigs by Black Sabbath for some reason and it takes me out of the album every time.

Seriously, listen to that song right now. It's hilarious.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

I'm not going to fight you because that was my vote last time too :hfive:

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

Also thanks for not being too hard on Thursday. Someday I hope I can shake Geoff Rickly's hand and thank him for keeping it real.

Geoff is the loving man. The United Nations page has a shitload of skram references. Most of Thursday's music doesn't really appeal to me but I love Full Collapse and their shows are still pretty loving sweet. The whole Daitro and Thursday debacle was kinda ignorant and slightly arrogant on Daitro's part(not knowing how Geoff Rickley used to do shows for Reversal of Man and so on) even if their point was valid.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 23, 2010

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

ChrisFarley posted:

I don't think I mentioned Saetia at all... on purpose :twisted:. Also, We Bury Our Dead Alive for me.

All the yk albums are good.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

What is all this Skramz poo poo in this thread about punk I come to read this thread from time to time and pretend to understand the bands and shows people are talking about but then this article happens and its like everyone is speaking greek!

Seriously though that front page article was cool and made me realize that any skramz I had been exposed to was utter poo poo for the(sub)genre. Gotta be honest, some of that stuff wasnt that bad, I'm definitely going to have to give the whole genre another closer look if I can sort out where to start.

On another note Stza's latest project Star loving Hipsters. I just started to listen to them sadly (after choking victim, leftover crack, crack-rock steady-7). And I'm not sure what to think of it! I picked up until we're dead and who is this girl that can sing?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's actually a really good interview with Stza on punknews, there's a new album coming out next year on Fat Wreck, and maybe another LoC album after that

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

A new LoC album would be nice. I'm not sure how I feel about Star loving Hipsters yet Seems alright. Gotta be honest though. I was not aware that Star loving Hipsters was on fat wreck, seems a bit out of place.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The first album and the new one are/will be, their second is on Alternative Tentacles for some reason.

I would imagine that the biggest reason for being on Fat Wreck is the single-record deals, so you don't get locked in for some bullshit after you put out an album.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

I don't doubt that Fat Wreck is a great label for them for that reason, also the exposure that Fat Wreck can get them. It just struck me as an odd fit for the band. The more I listen to Until We're Dead the more I like it. Nico de Gaillo's vocals are a welcome change from Stza's and the bassist Frank Piegaro is pretty good. Are either of them in any good bands I should know about?

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
"Over the achingly wistful yet exhilarative hours of reminiscence, you'll find you've mated for life, like a male anglerfish latching on to a female to become a living sperm sac (you're both the sperm sac, forever supplying the other with Mediafire links to discographies of broken-up and long-inconsequential acts)."

Favorite part of the article just cause it reminds me of me and my buddy's msn relationship. YO GUY CHECK THIS OUT. Moved on to black metal though since after some time there's nothing left to discuss about skramz.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I somehow just found out the dude from Orchid is in LCD Soundsystem now. I've never listened to them (LCD Soundsystem) but that's loving weird.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

rivals posted:

I somehow just found out the dude from Orchid is in LCD Soundsystem now. I've never listened to them (LCD Soundsystem) but that's loving weird.

i assume you're referring to Jayson? All of those dudes are pretty famous...

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah. I mean I'd heard of them before but I've never listened and had no idea he was in that band. I think his only other project I knew about was Panthers.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Pantalones! posted:

since after some time there's nothing left to discuss about skramz.

Impossible.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

gently caress. Yes. Woke up today, checked my mail. I got a package. Lihova Skola Umeni by Tri Sestry finally came. I'm so incredibly stoked! Such a great feeling when you can finally get your hands on an album you want, but is hard to get.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Just read ChrisFarley's article, loved it. I really do love the international bands just as much if not more than the american bands and I never really tried to pinpoint why. I'm always talking about La Quiete and my girl is like "You don't even speak italian a little let alone understand these guys" and I'm like ":rolleyes:"

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Wyld Cannon posted:

I really do love the international bands just as much if not more than the american bands and I never really tried to pinpoint why.

It's really weird isn't it? Then again, some of them (some of the French bands) have that whole "combination of post-rock and poppy things with skramz" thing down to a science, so that might be one reason.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wyld Cannon posted:

Just read ChrisFarley's article, loved it. I really do love the international bands just as much if not more than the american bands and I never really tried to pinpoint why. I'm always talking about La Quiete and my girl is like "You don't even speak italian a little let alone understand these guys" and I'm like ":rolleyes:"

It's the piano in La Quiete, that's why I love 'em.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

It's really weird isn't it? Then again, some of them (some of the French bands) have that whole "combination of post-rock and poppy things with skramz" thing down to a science, so that might be one reason.

For what it's worth, most of the lyrics from French bands who sing in French go from decent to excellent (at least for Daitro/Amanda Woodward/Celeste), so you can feel good in knowing they're not just singing about worthless poo poo eloquently written by 4th graders

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So just discovered Archives and they own but what the hell is "Divine Circuitry" about? "Your mechanical arm is a gift from God" is the weirdest line in a skramz song I've heard since I listened to Raein for the first time.

timmo
May 29, 2004
I'd like to think it's about the video game Bionic Commando, but who knows with these bands.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

timmo posted:

I'd like to think it's about the video game Bionic Commando, but who knows with these bands.

I was thinking of the Powerglove but yeah it's a :psyduck:

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

For what it's worth, most of the lyrics from French bands who sing in French go from decent to excellent (at least for Daitro/Amanda Woodward/Celeste), so you can feel good in knowing they're not just singing about worthless poo poo eloquently written by 4th graders

I don't know a whole lot about skramz, but isn't the whole emotive hardcore scene somewhat popular there? I mean in general punk bands I listen to that have come out of france recently there's a definite influence, like guerilla poubelle for example.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Quantumfate posted:

I don't know a whole lot about skramz, but isn't the whole emotive hardcore scene somewhat popular there? I mean in general punk bands I listen to that have come out of france recently there's a definite influence, like guerilla poubelle for example.

I want to say yes but I am in no way an expert on the French scene, I was mostly saying that as a Quebecer who actually understood the lyrics it's kind of cool to see both sides of it (the side where you know what's being said yet still be amazed at the sense of mystique you get from listening to a foreign-language band like Envy).

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

well I mean, the lyrics to stuff aren't that revealing because you could just be looking at a selection thats wrong. But Given that I keep seeing it, I dunno,. Seems popular, especially given the apparent quality of some of the skramz/emo/etc bands to come out of france.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

WHERE DO I GET CELESTE LYRICS.

don't say buy the records

am I allowed to mention kylesa in here? gently caress if time will fuse its worth isn't my favorite thing right now.

Also daitro and celeste are the best things to come out of europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Pantalones! posted:

WHERE DO I GET CELESTE LYRICS.

I just try to make them out :shobon: