Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mug
Apr 26, 2005

davebo posted:

Edit: these don't look very friendly to people who already wear glasses. Any thoughts on this?

They work fine if you already wear glasses, they just go over the top. My wife wears glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mug posted:

They work fine if you already wear glasses, they just go over the top. My wife wears glasses.

As a note, they do not work fine if you have an astigmatism, in which case they will give you splitting headaches after like 10 minutes, or so I'm told by two astigmatic friends who tried them out.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I find like 10% of people I've talked to who've tried 3D at a store say "Oh it doesnt work for me because I'm a delicate flower who is special and those gimmicks are too silly for my super smart brain" or something to that effect. If you can see 3D in real life, you should be able to see 3D with shutter glasses, as it works the same, just at a way lower framerate than real life.

Also, I tried it in a store before buying it, and if I hadn't seen it before outside of a store, I would have thought it was loving terrible. They store had fluorescent lighting which flickers HORRIBLY when wearing shutter glasses, so it made the whole experience awful. If you use it at home with normal light bulbs (or ideally in the dark) it's great.

Like I said, Samsung give you two sets of glasses free with a TV, but you have to send away for them, along with a free bluray player. Sony don't, you have to buy the glasses, and you also have to buy a "sensor bar" for them to synchronise with, which is >$200. Don't buy Sony 3D.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Sarchasm posted:

Are there any emulation issues or otherwise compelling reasons for me to not purchase Gunstar Heroes on PSN? How does the port stand up the Genesis original?

I haven't noticed any issues except that it's loving awesome and you should buy it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The more I hear about the 3D features for the PS3 and the TVs that support them, the less inclined I am to jump on the bandwagon at the current prices. It doesn't help that every time I hear "shutter glasses" I'm thinking of my Sega Master System. Zaxxon 3D :hellyeah:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

The more I hear about the 3D features for the PS3 and the TVs that support them, the less inclined I am to jump on the bandwagon at the current prices. It doesn't help that every time I hear "shutter glasses" I'm thinking of my Sega Master System. Zaxxon 3D :hellyeah:

How did the Sega glasses work anyway? Did they literally open and shut or something? The modern ones aren't literally "shutters" if you didn't know, they just have a layer of LCD on each lens that darkens and lightens really fast.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Mug posted:

How did the Sega glasses work anyway? Did they literally open and shut or something? The modern ones aren't literally "shutters" if you didn't know, they just have a layer of LCD on each lens that darkens and lightens really fast.

I'm pretty sure they used the same basic technology, but at too low a framerate (limited by the standards of a non-HD TV signal) to avoid headache-inducing flicker. It certainly didn't help that decent looking 3D graphics were also quite a ways off.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cockmaster posted:

I'm pretty sure they used the same basic technology, but at too low a framerate (limited by the standards of a non-HD TV signal) to avoid headache-inducing flicker. It certainly didn't help that decent looking 3D graphics were also quite a ways off.

Beaten, but this is correct. The old Master System 3D glasses drew power from the system itself. A cord coming from the glasses would be plugged into an adapter that would be inserted into the card slot. Only about eight games used the glasses, most of which were just arcade ports. Space Harrier 3D and Zaxxon 3D were my favorites out of the whole lot.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

If you have a 3D TV I would also check out the demo for Motorstorm: Pacific Rift. There's a first person view option and it looks darn cool in 3D. I'm looking forward to Killzone 3 and Team Ico Collection for 3D stuff and I'll probably rent Call of Duty: Black Ops and The Fight.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Fauxtool posted:

If what you are saying is true the problem has to be the ps3 itself.
Try setting up a new wireless profile on the ps3. Check your router has UPnP and enable it if its on or disable it if its not.

For reference I have a launch model ps3 and a 6 month old slim. Both ran netflix with disk and without on wireless.

It could also be that the bad disk caused your problems and the netflix network crapping it self under load caused the disk free problems.

When was the last time you tried to get it working?
It's been a while since I spent a lot of time working on it. What's weird to me is that it used to work okay. I'll play with it some more this afternoon if I get time.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Connellingus posted:

If you have a 3D TV I would also check out the demo for Motorstorm: Pacific Rift. There's a first person view option and it looks darn cool in 3D...

Its a $20 demo and it has no trophies. It's okay.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I'm not sure what you mean, but there is a free demo available. I wasn't interested enough to buy the full version, but the demo is worth checking out if you want something to try out or show off your 3D TV.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Should have known better than to rely on Sony customer service. The lady basically read off the online manual verbatim.

I hope one of you guys can help me out. I was in the middle of doing a data system transfer between a fat 60gb PS3 and a slim 320 gb PS3. The progress bar was at 98% on the slim when an error code 80024608 came up. Google search for this error code comes up with nothing. The customer service person said nothing came up on her system. Apparently I'm a unique flower with this error code.

I followed everything to the letter in their online manual and disabled both internet connections on each system. Maybe something is corrupt on the fat PS3?

I'm in the middle of trying this again. I really hope it works this time. :(

EDIT: I got it to work after trying about 5 times and doing different things each time. Had to go into safe mode on each PS3 and rebuild the system files. Also had each PS3 looking for a wired internet connection instead of wireless.

The old fat 60gb is now undergoing complete system restore/formatting. I'll be putting it up for sale and a bunch of PS/PS2 games you can play it on in the near future over in SA mart! :)

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 26, 2010

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Welp someone somehow managed to get into my PSN account, add 150$ to the wallet and change the sign-in ID. I'm not sure how exactly, but it loving sucks in any case. What's my best option? The e-mail regarding my ID changing brings me to the consumer assistance page but that isn't much help. There's a message on there that talks about PSN loving up and exposing some people's information but that's apparently from 2008 so... what now?

Edit: After googling a bit, it appears that there's been a bunch of accounts getting hacked and buying 150 dollars worth of stuff recently, so PSN users beware I guess.

CHaKKaWaKka fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 26, 2010

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Uh, seems the obvious thing to do would be to call Sony and ask for help, have you tried that? They're a pretty helpful bunch over the phone (in Australia, anyway)

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

Haha, yeah I guess that was a pretty dumb thing to ask, that's what happens when I come home to see that $150 was charged on my credit card. Customer service was good, now my account is suspended for 7 days but I got a refund and my account back so I can't really complain too much. I still have no idea how that happened though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So can you do a PS3 to PS3 clone between two fats, or only Fat and Slim? And what would I need to pull it off? A USB A-A cable or something else?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Haha, yeah I guess that was a pretty dumb thing to ask, that's what happens when I come home to see that $150 was charged on my credit card. Customer service was good, now my account is suspended for 7 days but I got a refund and my account back so I can't really complain too much. I still have no idea how that happened though.

I'm curious did the guy at least buy good things with your card?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fuzz posted:

So can you do a PS3 to PS3 clone between two fats, or only Fat and Slim? And what would I need to pull it off? A USB A-A cable or something else?

Should work on any, and it's over ethernet I think.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

Len posted:

I'm curious did the guy at least buy good things with your card?

Haha, I wish I knew, but I can't access my account for 7 days and I didn't think to ask the support guy if I could have more details on what happened.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Should work on any, and it's over ethernet I think.

But does it copy or move? I want it to just copy, not move everything over. I wanna be sure before I start it, I already said no to deactivating the system on PSN accounts and all that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fuzz posted:

But does it copy or move? I want it to just copy, not move everything over. I wanna be sure before I start it, I already said no to deactivating the system on PSN accounts and all that.

It moves.

To 'copy' you would have to back-up PS3 A, transfer to PS3 B and then install the back-up back to A.

So you would need an external hard-drive or flash drive big enough.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Can't wait for the new Valkyria Chronicles to be announced for this.

quote:

It's hard to believe that what we're looking at is real -- but we assure you, the picture above is in fact the PlayStation Phone you've long been waiting for. As we reported back in August, the device you see is headed into the market soon, likely boasting Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread), along with a custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform.

:stare: PS3 related cause we might be playing minis from this thing next year.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I certainly hope it's not going to be poo poo like Minis only. I might actually grab a cell phone if it can be a PSP at the same time.

Inhumanbot
Aug 9, 2007

Did you think I was gone forever?

Biodome posted:

Is that a "dual-analog" touchpad I see there? :aaa:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That thing will either rule or it will suck rear end. As long as it handles Android competently at a level equal to the current gen of Droid phones, I'd buy it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inhumanbot posted:

Is that a "dual-analog" touchpad I see there? :aaa:

That is what I was thinking as well. This thing will be awesome if that is what it is.

Inhumanbot
Aug 9, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That is what I was thinking as well. This thing will be awesome if that is what it is.

It would be so cool to trade in my lovely iPhone for one of those if indeed those are dual sticks.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fuzz posted:

That thing will either rule or it will suck rear end. As long as it handles Android competently at a level equal to the current gen of Droid phones, I'd buy it.

What sucks is I just got a Vibrant and reupped my contract :argh:

That thing is nice though. Nice looking anyway. Hopefully with the backing of Sony it won't suck, but who knows.

Oh god Android based emulators on that thing with those controls :fap:

I wonder how CFW would work on that, if at all, or how the PSP/Android thing is going to work. This should be really, really interesting.

e. of course being Android I wonder if there's much reason for CFW beyond "that" reason?

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 27, 2010

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

Fuzz posted:

The transfer utility copies everything except certain copyright-protected media. Game saves and PSN titles will exist on both systems after the transfer.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Locked saves get moved, not copied. Aphrodite's method will work for copying.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Biodome posted:

Yeah, assuming it's all executed well this is precisely the phone I've been dreaming of. It could have the best of both worlds, access to that 100k+ collection of Android apps as well as the couple hundred honest to goodness real games on the PS store, and the controls to play them well. Angry Birds is all well and good but I'd rather be playing GoW.

But since it's Sony I'm quite certain some part of it will be horribly gimped but here's to hope

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

thatdog posted:

The transfer utility copies everything except certain copyright-protected media.

To be even more specific, I think at this point, the only material it won't copy is Singstar DLC tracks.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Biodome posted:

Hah, if sony Ericsson is in any way involved with this, don't hold your breath for Android 3.0. Those fuckers are so slow at releasing firmware updates that the Xperia X10 is still on just 1.6 and while everything else is moving on up to 2.2 (or already there) the update to 2.1 isn't happening until some unannounced date sometime around the end of October this year (hint: that's about right now but we still have no idea when).

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Kin posted:

Hah, if sony Ericsson is in any way involved with this, don't hold your breath for Android 3.0. Those fuckers are so slow at releasing firmware updates that the Xperia X10 is still on just 1.6 and while everything else is moving on up to 2.2 (or already there) the update to 2.1 isn't happening until some unannounced date sometime around the end of October this year (hint: that's about right now but we still have no idea when).

Which Sony are also aware of, apparently:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-27-ps-phone-images-definitely-fake

quote:

Sony, however, held back PlayStation from Ericsson, deeming the mobile manufacturer's output of a quality level not yet satisfactory for the valuable gaming brand.

(it's a fake)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone know what PSN Error Code 80029780 means? Google is not turning anything up very useful, just that if you get it you can't download the game you want. More importantly how do you fix?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone know what PSN Error Code 80029780 means? Google is not turning anything up very useful, just that if you get it you can't download the game you want. More importantly how do you fix?

From the error code lookup on US Playstation support page

Unable to activate system

Description : You have reached the maximum number downloads for an unactivated system. This will not affect systems that are already activated on your PSN account.

Try this : Please wait 7 days before you download more content to a system that is not activated to your PSN account.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Inhumanbot posted:

It would be so cool to trade in my lovely iPhone for one of those if indeed those are dual sticks.

You swear this thing would be less lovely than an iPhone.

Inhumanbot
Aug 9, 2007

Feenix posted:

You swear this thing would be less lovely than an iPhone.

I'm stuck with a 3G. It's so terrible now that iOS 4 is mandatory. :( Not to mention that AT&T is a donkey show of suckage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Inhumanbot posted:

I'm stuck with a 3G. It's so terrible now that iOS 4 is mandatory. :( Not to mention that AT&T is a donkey show of suckage.

Fair enough then. :)

• Locked thread