Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

I've had the joyful experience of polish rail, which is definitely lol. To get to krakow (beautiful city in poland, spend a few days there besides auschwitz) take either a cheap airberlin or whatever flight, or the wawel train (I think they still run it) or take the berlin-warsaw express then go warsaw-krakow. Trains will take forever, when I went gdansk-berlin it took me a whole day (like 12 hours). To get to amsterdam, flights are the best option.

Thanks. I figured flights would probably be the best option.

Here's my whole itinerary and was wondering if maybe I shouldn't get the Benelux-Germany Eurail pass and instead do flights and single train tickets.

12/27: Arrive at Brussels early in the morning.
12/29: Berlin
1/3: Krakow
1/5: Amsterdam
1/7: Arrive back to Brussels for returning flight early morning on the 8th.

So do you think it would be best to:

1. Fly from Brussels to Berlin
2. Fly from Berlin to Krakow
3. Fly from Krakow to Amsterdam
4. Train from Amsterdam to Brussels

Also, how far in advance do I need to purchase tickets for the budget airlines? Is it like the US where if you try to book a flight a day or two in advance the fares are exorbitant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Cometa Rossa posted:

I figure this wouldn't need its own thread.

A couple buddies and I are thinking of going to Central/Eastern Europe this spring (we're travel-retards so we're planning ahead) and have just got into discussing a route. We're thinking of going from Berlin to Sarajevo travelling, sleeping and eating as cheaply as we possibly can. Along this route it'd be great to see Prague (maybe daytrips to Karlovy Vary or other interesting Czech spots), maybe some of Bavaria, Budapest and Mostar in Bosnia. If we could swing it, maybe we'd go to Plitvice in Croatia and see the Dalmation Coast.

We'll have plenty of money and time isn't an issue - is this a decent route? Recommendations or alterations? How much time would we need to appreciate each of these places?

In Czech Rep, consider Czesky Krumlov. We only drove through but eveyone who went said it was amazing, especially the pub crawl by river raft thing (although the fact they wee all drunken aussies may have played into that).

For Bosnia on the route from sarajevo - mostar go river rafting on the neretva river, it's amazing, cheap and we got fed better than anywhere. In mostar go to the cave club (as in a club inside a cave) right next to the stari most bridge.

I would definitely recommend Dubrovnik, everyone we met agreed it was better than split, there are also cheap flights out of there.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Grenyarnia posted:

Here's my whole itinerary and was wondering if maybe I shouldn't get the Benelux-Germany Eurail pass and instead do flights and single train tickets.

Also, how far in advance do I need to purchase tickets for the budget airlines? Is it like the US where if you try to book a flight a day or two in advance the fares are exorbitant?

ummmmmm....while I can't make you not do this, I can tell you not to, and hope you listen. Don't do this! Why? you're cramming a lot in, and you could easily spend the time you have in belgium/nederlands and then go to western germany. Going to krakow and berlin will take you all over the continent, it'a like flying into boston and then going down to new orleans. I'd suggest starting in brussels, going amsterdam-cologne-(munich maybe? hamburg?) then to berlin, and catching a flight from there to brussels the day before you leave.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Grenyarnia posted:

What's the best way to get from Berlin -> wherever Auschwitz is in Poland -> Amsterdam?

(Someone had to do it)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Grenyarnia posted:

You'll need to book your tickets well in advance for the budget airlines, they're total bastards about pricing. For example, taking a weekend break and need to get back to work Monday morning? You can fly back at 6am on Sunday for £1 or fly at 6pm on Sunday for £99. Ah gently caress it, I'll just take the 6am Monday flight, you say? £50. Don't forget there's usually £35-45 in taxes and fees added to all tickets (before charges for "luxuries" like having a suitcase are added).

I also think it's a bit odd to take 2 days traveling for one day of (with all respect) really depressing poo poo. Krakow is loving incredible and you could easily spend more time there or cut it out completely but you've budgeted a lot of time to just do one thing and there's loads to do in Berlin and Amsterdam.

Ziir posted:

Let's talk about cheap tickets to get to Europe. I have a friend that wants to come visit me in Germany. As far as I care, the most expensive part is getting from the US to Europe, and once there it should be relatively cheap to get to where I am. I know the train from say AMS to me should only cost 26 € or so for a student. Anyone know any great deals coming up/going on?

Edit: It doesn't matter what airport she flies out of in the US either because we both (individually) have enough miles to fly anywhere in the US and since I don't plan on returning anytime soon I don't mind giving them away cause it's better than them expiring.

I think http://www.statravel.com/ will probably have the best prices, checking their STA Deal Alert: Europe it looks like there are prices around $700 round trip including fees although there are restrictions when you can fly and you get a discount for being either a student or under 26. I still use sta.ch when I go home, they generally seem to have the best prices.

If she wants to sign up for deal alerts with airlines, I think the US hubs to search for are JFK, O'Hare, Atlanta and maybe Denver, LAX, Boston. In Europe, near you, Frankfurt, Amsterdam. There are shitloads of flights to London but then you'll have to book another flight to where you are and if the first flight is delayed... you're screwed.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

ummmmmm....while I can't make you not do this, I can tell you not to, and hope you listen. Don't do this! Why? you're cramming a lot in, and you could easily spend the time you have in belgium/nederlands and then go to western germany. Going to krakow and berlin will take you all over the continent, it'a like flying into boston and then going down to new orleans. I'd suggest starting in brussels, going amsterdam-cologne-(munich maybe? hamburg?) then to berlin, and catching a flight from there to brussels the day before you leave.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. There is a method behind my madness though.

The whole reason my friend and I are going to Europe is to visit a friend who moved to Berlin for New Year's. The reason we are flying in and out of Brussels is because we managed to find round-trip, non-stop tickets for $600. Flying to Berlin was another $250 and had multiple stops.

As for Auschwitz, I really want to go there because with the exception of my great-grandfather who escaped to America, my entire family on that side of the family died at Auschwitz during the holocaust. I don't know when the next time I'll be able to take off this much time from work and go to Europe, so I really want to see it while I'm there. Since it looks like I'll be spending $400 just to travel to and from Krakow, we'll probably change the schedule up a bit and leave Berlin earlier to spend some more time there.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Wow, yeah, take at least an extra day after your visit just for contemplation because Auschwitz is going to hit you hard. You'll need some time to take in what you see there, you don't want to be running to the airport the next morning.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What's the best and least expensive way to get from Dublin or Belfast to Amsterdam if I'm not renting a car?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

MJP posted:

What's the best and least expensive way to get from Dublin or Belfast to Amsterdam if I'm not renting a car?

Ryanair, easyjet or aerlingus I would guess. Your question makes it sound like renting a car is the best and cheapest way, are you talking about a ferry or something?

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

MJP posted:

Renting a car would be one of the most expensive ways I can think of to get from Dublin to Amsterdam. Book a flight with a budget airline - check skyscanner

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
I just want to say thanks for this thread! Right now I am planning a trip with some friends over winter break to Europe, and this is perfect. The travel links topic is also awesome, statravel and skyscanner are great.
Right now we are trying to narrow down what we want to see because we will only be there for ~12 days and don't want to spend the whole time traveling to a bunch of places and not getting to enjoy the places we go.
Right now plan is Chicago -> London, London to Ireland (not sure exactly where, some of our group has family there, I just can't remember where), then end in Paris for a few days before going back to Chicago. We are still trying to figure out where we want to go and where we want to be for New Years. I'm open to any tips.
I've got a lot more of this thread to read, but I've already seen a lot of great advice.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I've recently started a travel advice blog geared for people traveling to Europe. https://www.thesavvybackpacker.com
It isn't done and there are tons of spelling mistakes but there is a decent amount of info up so far. It might be helpful to some people.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm living in Germany and occasionally I see advertisements for the German version of North Face products where there's a picture of a couple camping on a snow capped mountain. This got me thinking about doing the same thing and I think I want to do it. I want to go camping in the snow.

This is what I want.

I don't have any reason other than to say that I've camped up on a mountain in a snowstorm before :smug:. Is this a crazy idea or are there other people who regularly camp on snowcapped mountains?

I'm also thinking probably I'll go to either the German or Swiss Alps. I think the idea then would be to take a train to some kind of village near the base of the Alps and then go hiking up somewhere. It doesn't have to be a one day hike but in the end I want a view similar to the one in the picture.

What type of gear do I need? I have a tent and a sleeping bag rated for -6 Celsius. I'm not sure if that's enough or not. I also have the necessary fleeces and jackets, but I only have jeans for the bottom half of me.

Any ideas where I could go or where I can look up trails and such? Maybe even blogs of people who have done this?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ziir posted:

I'm also thinking probably I'll go to either the German or Swiss Alps. I think the idea then would be to take a train to some kind of village near the base of the Alps and then go hiking up somewhere. It doesn't have to be a one day hike but in the end I want a view similar to the one in the picture.

What type of gear do I need? I have a tent and a sleeping bag rated for -6 Celsius. I'm not sure if that's enough or not. I also have the necessary fleeces and jackets, but I only have jeans for the bottom half of me.

Any ideas where I could go or where I can look up trails and such? Maybe even blogs of people who have done this?

You can do this pretty much anywhere in the Swiss Alps no problem, but (IMO) hiking in the snow blows, even with snowshoes or climbing skins. A sleeping bag rated for -6° will be acceptable for most of the Swiss Alps (since you're in a tent too) unless you're camping above 2500m... which I wouldn't recommend anyway. Also, most hikes in Switzerland have refuges (shelters), so you don't actually have to pitch a tent if you plan it right. Plus if you do that, you'll meet fellow crazy people who like to hike in winter. Most of the winter hikers will be people who ski down off-piste.

The mountains near Interlaken will have the most people, if you want companions, and the mountains of the canton of Valais will be the opposite. People probably go winter hiking in the canton of Grauebunden also, but I don't know as much about it. I would expect it's even more sparsely hiked than Valais, except maybe around St. Moritz.

You'll 100% need ski pants or something similar. Jeans will soak up water when you hike in the snow and make you hate your life, and maybe give you hypothermia. Similarly, fleeces suck in snow since they get wet and never dry ever (but they're okay if you have a waterproof jacket over it).

Also keep in mind that weather conditions can change fairly quickly in mountains, and you don't want to get in a bad situation due to poor planning. Make sure you have a phone that works, and make sure someone knows where you're going. All of the Alps above 2000m are snow-covered, and will remain so until May. If you're hiking with a partner, I wouldn't worry as much.

PS: "German" Alps? Oh, you mean Austrian Alps... (half joking, half serious).

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Anything above 2000m will have metres of snow during the winter, hiking is impossible, but people ski-tour. Look at the SAC website http://www.sac-cas.ch/ for more info on this, and how their huts work (like the other dude said) in the winter (use the huts, they are so much better than a tent, especially because of the fact that weather changes fast). If you're any way skilled at skiing check out the haute route, it's the premier ski tour from chamonix to zermatt.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I don't know how to ski and I've never tried before.

Saladman posted:

PS: "German" Alps? Oh, you mean Austrian Alps... (half joking, half serious).

I was completely serious. I don't really know much about the Alps other than it runs through Germany as well and that the most famous ones are apparently in Switzerland. Did I say something funny or?

Also it seems like camping out in a hut takes away some of the romanticism of it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ziir posted:

I was completely serious. I don't really know much about the Alps other than it runs through Germany as well and that the most famous ones are apparently in Switzerland. Did I say something funny or?

Also it seems like camping out in a hut takes away some of the romanticism of it.

Germany doesn't have any 'real' Alps; just (a very small amount of) foothills. The only 'peaks' literally form the border with Austria, and they're not even all that high. I've actually never heard the term "German Alps" before; I thought you were using a jingoistic German term (jokingly) for the Austrian Alps. (-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Alpenrelief_02.jpg is the Alps drawn on a political map.)

Hiking in winter is extremely lonely if you're by yourself. The hike itself is fine, but remember that it's pitch dark by 17:00-17:30p, and the first light won't appear until ~7:00 (or even later, if you're on the west face of a mountain). That leaves you with like 14 hours to sit in a tent and be cold and lonely, or in a refuge drinking with Schweizers. Romantic is overrated unless you're an emo 19th century poet.

Since learning how to ski with a bunch of Swiss people on off-piste mountain trails is not really a viable 'starting level' way to learn how to ski unless you've always wanted to see the inside of a rescue helicopter, your only option is snowshoes (which is certainly a viable way to climb). The snow will all be soft snow (as opposed to ice), so hiking boots/poles are useless.

Landsknecht linked the site I was trying to think of. If you do the French Alps, some of the Grande Randonnees go through them (e.g. GR 5), and they're all well-marked trails with refuges every now and then.

VVVVV If you go with a group then genuine camping might be fun. On that note, I'm not sure if you're legally allowed to start fires, but my guess would be "no except in emergencies."

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 26, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Ah, alright, I didn't know the Alps in Germany were pretty much just hills. I'll look into that website too when I have some time. I've also mentioned this idea to a few people and they seemed interested but what more information, so I'm doing my research right now. Ideally I'd love to go with a small group of maybe four people including me, but realistically I think I may end up doing it alone.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Why don't you wait until it snows in your country (wherever you live) then climb a hill there? No need to go all out in the mountains the very first time
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t5hcl
I watched this when it was on, and they had a bit where they interviewed some people who went camping in the British countryside in the snow. It did look absolutely lovely, I admit!

Reverse Jesus
Dec 25, 2004
Come on Cranky! Take it to the fridge!
I'm thinking of travelling from London to Venice by train.

http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm recommends "for amazing Alpine scenery take an afternoon Eurostar to Paris and a 198 mph Lyria TGV to Zurich. Next morning, take a EuroCity 'pendolino' train through the Swiss Alps via the fabulous Gotthard Pass route to Milan, with connections for Florence, Venice, Rome & Naples arriving in the afternoon."

Has anyone ever tried this route? It's rather long, but you can break it up with a day in each city between journeys.

The sleeper train would be less expensive and more efficient, but the scenery might be worth it?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Reverse Jesus posted:

I'm thinking of travelling from London to Venice by train.

http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm recommends "for amazing Alpine scenery take an afternoon Eurostar to Paris and a 198 mph Lyria TGV to Zurich. Next morning, take a EuroCity 'pendolino' train through the Swiss Alps via the fabulous Gotthard Pass route to Milan, with connections for Florence, Venice, Rome & Naples arriving in the afternoon."

Has anyone ever tried this route? It's rather long, but you can break it up with a day in each city between journeys.

The sleeper train would be less expensive and more efficient, but the scenery might be worth it?

If you want to see the scenery, just actually go there. Passing through by train will give you a glimpse at best, or (more likely at this time of year) a cloudy experience where you can't much except the base of the mountains.

I'd recommend saving your money and just buying a planet ticket from London to Venice, then using the €350 (extra cost of train vs plane + cost of hotel room in Zurich) you saved on going to Lake Maggiore or Lake Como, but I guess you're really determined to not fly?

(If you're thinking about this trip in April or later, then you probably will get good scenery out the window of a train. If you do it in winter, it's iffy.)

Reverse Jesus
Dec 25, 2004
Come on Cranky! Take it to the fridge!

Saladman posted:

I'd recommend saving your money and just buying a planet ticket from London to Venice, then using the €350 (extra cost of train vs plane + cost of hotel room in Zurich) you saved on going to Lake Maggiore or Lake Como, but I guess you're really determined to not fly?
I prefer not to fly and it definitely makes sense to take the Eurostar from London to Paris (faster, less hassle, around the same price) but I had my doubts about going around Western Europe by rail. I think what you've suggested makes a lot more sense, thanks!

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis

Ziir posted:

Ah, alright, I didn't know the Alps in Germany were pretty much just hills. I'll look into that website too when I have some time. I've also mentioned this idea to a few people and they seemed interested but what more information, so I'm doing my research right now. Ideally I'd love to go with a small group of maybe four people including me, but realistically I think I may end up doing it alone.

Do you think you could do the same in the 'German' Alps near Füssen or cross the border hiking into Austria outside of Reutte? Would that be closer and likely the same experience?

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Saw some nice snow and mountains with waterfalls on the train from Verona to Munich.

Having never really travelled on trains before I have to say I prefer them 10x to flying by aeroplane, so much less hassle and you get to see lots of the country.

Saw some hop farms on the way from Munich to Berlin etc.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Xenixx posted:

Do you think you could do the same in the 'German' Alps near Füssen or cross the border hiking into Austria outside of Reutte? Would that be closer and likely the same experience?

That's a possibility too. I just want to go hiking in the snow.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

If you can get to the alps there are plenty of guides, they can take you out for snow hiking and depending on your budget etc you can have a go at ice climbing and stuff like that.

hiking in Switzerland is very um, swiss. The trails you are likely to take are marked very clearly. I believe it is forbidden to camp which is why they build huts in all the mountains. You usually have to book your hut bed in advance. I guess it can be nice going on multi day hikes and only having to take some lunch and enough water for the day.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Im doing a ~6 week trip with my girlfriend this January/February.

So far the plan is Spain > France > England > Iceland (was going to be opposite with iceland at the end still but flying london > iceland is easier)

Granada
Madrid
Bibao
San Sebastian
Barcelona
Bordeaux Region (staying with my aunt and uncle)
Paris
London (staying with my sister)
Iceland

Zaragoza, Valencia are still a toss up. Im not too convinced by those or whether we stay longer in barca/madrid.

Day trips out of london will be taken as we will be there the longest due to free accommodation (7-10 days). But I was wondering if theres anything I should check out along the way which you guys reccomend.

Also whats the cheapest airline to fly to Iceland?

Benadryl Brownie
Aug 18, 2005

Haway les gars
Gonna post this here instead of making my own thread and being retarded.

So last week I made the impromptu decision to go travel a bit during my university's reading week. I decided to go to Copenhagen and flights were insanely cheap from London. I've never actually bothered traveling before, except around the US and to the UK for school. This is all going to be solo travel too, so I'm hoping that I meet some people at the hostels I'm staying at. This brings me to my little dilemma though.

After looking at how expensive Copenhagen is, I wonder whether it would be better to split my stay between Malmo and Copenhagen. It seems just as nice and I wouldn't mind seeing some of Sweden too. I also hear Lund is really pretty. So what's the big difference between the two? Am I totally missing out on Copenhagen if I spend the weekend in Malmo? What's the nightlife like? Also, is it easy to get the train from Malmo to Copenhagen and does it run 24 hours?

Thanks. The only thing i know about Malmo right now is that some guy is running around and shooting people who look like immigrants.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Fists Up posted:

It varies. Just use https://www.kayak.com to use the cheapest fare.

love truncheon
Feb 1, 2006
toot toot!

Fists Up posted:

I doubt anyone is going to be cheaper than Iceland Air - there is a competitor budget iceland carrier too whos name I forget. I took Icelance Air from heathrow to Reykjavik-Keflavík and it was a really good flight - mainly because of a free upgrade to their Saga class.

Theres an Iceland specific thread somewhere in T&T if you are after more specifics

Soapy Joe
Apr 4, 2008

I scanned the thread but couldn't see my question. Forgive me if this is a double.

I'm a Canadian and I'm currently in Rome. I've just got a regular passport. I stamped into the EU on August 31st at which point I understood that I could spend a maximum of 180 days in the union within one year, but no more than 90 days at a time. Since I'm staying until January my plan was to go to Swizerland or Turkey (not in the union) before the 90 days were up and then re enter the union. But now I'm hearing different things like I must stay out of the union for a certain length of time before coming back, or that I'm only allowed three months max. What are the rules here? I googled and got nothing, I called the Canadian embassy in Rome but they're closed and I need an answer now. Anyone?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sai posted:

I'm guessing it's the Botel. I've never been there but yeah it's really far away and doesn't have a great reputation. Good points are that it's in a very interesting neighbourhood: a part of town that used to be an artist/hippie enclave that's slowly being taken over by more corporate stuff. It's an interesting area to see develop but I don't think you'd find that very exciting as a tourist who just wants to see the city. Also, the distance from the city and the bad connections at night probably make for a pretty tight-knit group. If you really just want to smoke up with some people, go to the city by day, buy some weed, smoke it with other tourists at night in the boat. I wouldn't recommend it it you want something more.

I'd say everything within the blue line is a good neighborhood with quick connections to the centre. A little outside the lines won't hurt either.

Just realised I never said thanks for this. It was a big help. Booked a solid looking hotel in the area you recommended.

Leaving tomorrow!

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Soapy Joe posted:

I scanned the thread but couldn't see my question. Forgive me if this is a double.

I'm a Canadian and I'm currently in Rome. I've just got a regular passport. I stamped into the EU on August 31st at which point I understood that I could spend a maximum of 180 days in the union within one year, but no more than 90 days at a time. Since I'm staying until January my plan was to go to Swizerland or Turkey (not in the union) before the 90 days were up and then re enter the union. But now I'm hearing different things like I must stay out of the union for a certain length of time before coming back, or that I'm only allowed three months max. What are the rules here? I googled and got nothing, I called the Canadian embassy in Rome but they're closed and I need an answer now. Anyone?

You are probably on a schengen visa, which covers the EU and some non-EU states, including switzerland but i dont think turkey is part of it. You can be in the schengen countries for no more than 90 days of a 180 day period, so once your 90 days are up you need to leave for 90 days. That is as I understand it, be sure to check for yourself as well.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Soapy Joe posted:

Call a Canadian embassy somewhere else (in the EU and Schengen area). Or by 'now' do you mean within an hour instead of in the next few days? I work with Schengen visa, but I don't know the rules that apply to those who don't have to apply for a visa in advance of their arrival in the area (I think those have to be outside the area for two months before the can go back, unless they have a multi-entry visa of a longer validity, but I'm not even sure about that).

Soapy Joe
Apr 4, 2008

By "now" I mean before tomorrow morning which is when my ride leaves for Switzerland because I don't know when my next internet access will be. I'm going to keep trying to figure things out when I get there. I hope I don't need to be out for two months before coming back in. I'm travelling between continents by boat though and so far I've noticed that no one at any port seems to care that I'm enetering or exiting thier country. I actually had to track down the proper authorities to stamp me when I got to Spain.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Soapy Joe posted:

You're allowed 90 days out of 180, but they don't have to be contiguous, so the 3 months max isn't exactly true. However, if they suspect you of overstaying, I imagine the burden of proof would be on you to show that you'd been in Turkey for 2 months or whatever. Usually a passport would be this proof, but if you didn't get stamped (or if you're lying), you'll need to show train/plane tickets that showed when you left.

You don't have to stay out for any length of time, unless you've hit your 90-of-180 days quota, in which case, you have to stay out for 90 days. If you were in Turkey for 2 weeks, then you'd need to wait 76 days, etc.

Unixbeard is right about Switzerland and the Schengen visa, but not all of the EU is covered in Schengen (->UK), so if you go to the UK, it is considered 'being out of Europe' wrt your visa. (I'm like 80% sure about this, maybe someone else can confirm.)

The visa agreement between the EU and Canada is multi-entry, so Eric Bauman's two-month-leave thing won't apply to you. (Tangent: I'm pretty sure all countries with visa agreements consider the stamp to be a mutli-entry 'visa'. Also you might technically have to leave for 2 months anyway, but not because of multi-entry, but instead because you've stayed in Schengen for 90 of the last ~120 days or whatever.)

That said you're a Canadian in Italy, so if you overstay your visa you will PROBABLY be okay, but it can be bad if you get caught (can't go back to Schengen for 5 years, and/or pay a €1500 fine or something like that). I have two expired Schengen work visas in my passport for Germany and Switzerland, and I've never been stopped while flying int'l in Frankfurt, Paris, London, or Rome. However, I've been checked all 3 times I've flown int'l out of Geneva and been required to show my Schengen residence permit.

^^^^^^ Just saw your post above. If you're ALREADY overstayed on your visa, then you might seriously consider not going to Switzerland, where the stereotype holds very, very true that they love paperwork, and they love doing it correctly and to-the-letter. I've been checked on land borders twice for proper documentation (out of ~20 crossings), and checked flying out every single time I've flown out of Zurich or Geneva. If you're driving and overstayed on the visa, I would recommend crossing the border NOT on the autostrada, since usually the minor border crossings aren't even manned (e.g. go up the west side of Lago Maggiore instead of the autostrada from Milan to Lugano).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 4, 2010

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Soapy Joe posted:

By "now" I mean before tomorrow morning which is when my ride leaves for Switzerland because I don't know when my next internet access will be. I'm going to keep trying to figure things out when I get there. I hope I don't need to be out for two months before coming back in. I'm travelling between continents by boat though and so far I've noticed that no one at any port seems to care that I'm enetering or exiting thier country. I actually had to track down the proper authorities to stamp me when I got to Spain.

As unixbeard said, you're probably on a Schengenvisa, so Switzerland will not be outside the visa area. You could also try calling the Italian or Swiss immigration services or customs offices. They will probably know and can tell from the specifics of your passport, stamps and situation what to do. I mainly deal with Arabs with Schengen visa stickers in their passports that go to Amsterdam, so your situation isn't in my direct field of knowledge.
What you also could do is call the Italian/Swiss embassy in Canada. Due to time differences they will probably still be open.

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010

Benadryl Brownie posted:

Gonna post this here instead of making my own thread and being retarded.

So last week I made the impromptu decision to go travel a bit during my university's reading week. I decided to go to Copenhagen and flights were insanely cheap from London. I've never actually bothered traveling before, except around the US and to the UK for school. This is all going to be solo travel too, so I'm hoping that I meet some people at the hostels I'm staying at. This brings me to my little dilemma though.

After looking at how expensive Copenhagen is, I wonder whether it would be better to split my stay between Malmo and Copenhagen. It seems just as nice and I wouldn't mind seeing some of Sweden too. I also hear Lund is really pretty. So what's the big difference between the two? Am I totally missing out on Copenhagen if I spend the weekend in Malmo? What's the nightlife like? Also, is it easy to get the train from Malmo to Copenhagen and does it run 24 hours?

Thanks. The only thing i know about Malmo right now is that some guy is running around and shooting people who look like immigrants.

The main difference between Malmo and Copenhagen is that Copenhagen is the capital in Denmark, hence it will have a lot of stuff to see (a lot of history too!). Last time I was in Malmo was before the new bridge opened but to be honest, if you're spending less than a week there I'd suggest you only do Copenhagen. If you are interested in seeing Sweden there are trains (don't think they are 24hrs) that run up to very late at night from Copenhagen->Kastrup Airport->Malmo, then you can change in Malmo for trains further up into Sweden. The nightlife in Copenhagen is bitchin though, there are a million places to go to, I can recommend the Nyhavn area as it has several nice bars and is right out to the waterfront. However, the weather at this time of year can be cold and rainy so bring rain proof clothes.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Regarding overstaying your visa, the risk is really quite small. As others have mentioned, checking exact durations of stay is fairly rare in most European countries, and checks between Schengen countries should be non-existent (some countries do have a habit of doing "random" checks around borders though, which they really aren't supposed to do).

One thing I have heard multiple times however is that border crossings with Turkey tend to be far more controlled than typical crossings. Switzerland I'd also consider a risk. Really your best bet, if you're set on overstaying, is to remain in the Schengen zone until you're ready to leave it for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Sunday Assassin posted:

Just realised I never said thanks for this. It was a big help. Booked a solid looking hotel in the area you recommended.

Leaving tomorrow!
Good luck because the weather is gonna be absolute poo poo.