Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I was always skeptical about those BS videogame rumors, so when someone told me if you save falco in the first level of SF64 and fly through all the arches you'd fight a different boss and go to different planets, I assumed it was BS...imagine my surprise.

When i played star fox i didn't understand the difference between accomplished and completed so i never played like 3/4 of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Saw this on my RSS feed:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/27/haunted-majoras-mask-arg-brought-back-to-life-by-players/

quote:

Instead of walking away from an amusing web game, players actually donated money to the project in order to keep it going. Jadusable plans to release the next chapter of the game this holiday season, along with " an interactive videogame for download in tandem with the final phase of the story." Get caught up with the game here if you're interested in jumping into this world.

I hate to say this but there's children starving in Africa and they gave money to a guy who wrote like 3 different stories and just decided to make them one jumbled mess?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

RagnarokAngel posted:

Saw this on my RSS feed:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/27/haunted-majoras-mask-arg-brought-back-to-life-by-players/

I hate to say this but there's children starving in Africa and they gave money to a guy who wrote like 3 different stories and just decided to make them one jumbled mess?

There's children starving in Africa and you gave 10 bucks to go on an internet forum. Don't you know how many free internet forums there are?

I agree that the thing certainly wasn't as good as it could have been, but don't blame the people donating of being morally wrong.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

21stCentury posted:

There's children starving in Africa and you gave 10 bucks to go on an internet forum. Don't you know how many free internet forums there are?

I agree that the thing certainly wasn't as good as it could have been, but don't blame the people donating of being morally wrong.

I won't call them morally wrong, but they're incredibly stupid, that's for sure.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Lucidphoole a month ago posted:

What an exciting conclusion. If I were a cynic I'd think he was doing this for the many donation dollars he can expect to come flooding in from the fans.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

21stCentury posted:

Yeah but these forums aren't an awful mishmash of poor writing and concepts. Well except for your posts.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but these forums aren't an awful mishmash of poor writing and concepts. Well except for your posts.

:iceburn:

But seriously though, people spend money on terrible things all the time. It's hardly confined to the Internet, either. Like they say, a fool and his money are easily parted.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Saw this on my RSS feed:

Why on earth are people paying for an acknowledged hoax?

This is worse than the time I told my brother if he gave me 10 bucks I'd give him the cheat code to see Kitana do a nudality.

Googolplexia
Jul 21, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Why on earth are people paying for an acknowledged hoax?

What? They're not paying for it because they think it's real, they're paying for it because they want him to continue the story.

I grew up with a lot of urban legends about games, but most of them have been mentioned already. Find Mew under the pickup truck in Pokemon, collecting [x] secret item in Ocarina of Time etc. I do find beta videogame stuff really interesting, though, and unreleased games are fascinating. I wish TheRedEye would update his old site more often, there's tons of cool stuff there.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

quote:

More :ghost: zelda promised

I'm not a fan of his writing but, well, bully for him for being able to get money out from people and essentially, getting paid to do what he likes. I just hope he just goes on with the haunted zelda stuff as opposed to the moon children rubbish (because it's driving an all right concept down the ground by making things more and more ridiculous, which seems to be a staple of all projects incepted from 4chan) , but since it's mentioned he's going to do an ARG... we'll either be seeing no output at all accompanied by angry 4chan messages posting his address, or more "i'm so scared, mummy!" stories.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Apocadall posted:

Make the killer wear a mask made of your face.

I've always wondered why people don't use Avatars/Miis more than they do. it would be hilarious and slightly creepy if a game mined data from your friends avatars and made ingame characters based of them, so the serial killer that you're stalking is basically a realistic version of one of your friend's avatars.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ddraig posted:

I've always wondered why people don't use Avatars/Miis more than they do. it would be hilarious and slightly creepy if a game mined data from your friends avatars and made ingame characters based of them, so the serial killer that you're stalking is basically a realistic version of one of your friend's avatars.
Because Nintendo is dumb. They're ridiculously protective of Miis.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Akuma posted:

Because Nintendo is dumb. They're ridiculously protective of Miis.
I seriously don't get this. Do Miis even do anything of note? Oh boy, you can make a cartoonish version of yourself (Or a hobo) and play as him in Wii Sports and Mario Kart. The 360 and PS3 versions of Miis actually do MORE with them.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Ddraig posted:

Does anyone ever actually pay attention to what avatars and miis look like? I would be hard pressed to even notice the effort were i to play such a game.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Endorph posted:

I seriously don't get this. Do Miis even do anything of note? Oh boy, you can make a cartoonish version of yourself (Or a hobo) and play as him in Wii Sports and Mario Kart. The 360 and PS3 versions of Miis actually do MORE with them.

Does everything in your sad utilitarian world need a clearly defined use? Didn't you ever think the Miis are nothing more than a diversion to be used for marketing the Wii?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

21stCentury posted:

Does everything in your sad utilitarian world need a clearly defined use? Didn't you ever think the Miis are nothing more than a diversion to be used for marketing the Wii?
Well I figured that's what they're for but wouldn't that count as a clearly defined use.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can have a bobblehead of your Mii on the dashboard of your spaceship in Metroid Prime 3. Nintendo wins.

Neither company will let your mii/avatar do anything violent or painful or inappropriate for an E-rated game in general, so both systems are kinda creatively hamstrung and turning your friends into serial killers definitely wouldn't fly.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

I think the word "literally" takes that spot.

No the way goons use "hipster" and "emo" is worse, the new Devil May Cry thread was absolutely atrocious

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zombies' Downfall posted:

No the way goons use "hipster" and "emo" is worse, the new Devil May Cry thread was absolutely atrocious

It was literally the worst thing.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If it bothers you that much, you are probably an emo hipster.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If it bothers you that much, you are literally an emo hipster.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Irregardless, it was ironically the most literal emo hipster.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Irregardless, it was ironically the most literal emo hipster.

Basically pretentious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Counterpoint: human being.

EDIT: Counterpoint: human being would be a good name for a band.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Tobaccrow posted:

Basically pretentious.

This.

Personally, I could care less.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
This thread is getting filled with vapid cunts.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Not to contribute to the derail, but I've never seen the "___ as gently caress" construction (instead of "as hell" or "as poo poo") anywhere but these forums. So I've come to see it as a really goony turn of phrase. Maybe I just don't spend enough time on the Internet. But I'm starting to find it irritating as gently caress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Not to contribute to the derail, but I've never seen the "___ as gently caress" construction (instead of "as hell" or "as poo poo") anywhere but these forums. So I've come to see it as a really goony turn of phrase. Maybe I just don't spend enough time on the Internet. But I'm starting to find it irritating as gently caress.
It's more because people don't tend to say "gently caress" a lot in real life, even around really close friends.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JammyLammy posted:

This thread is getting filled with vapid cunts.
posting with no capitalization or punctuation because im too cool and just dont give a poo poo

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
apparently there was a rumor going around for LoZOoC that if you stood in front of a milking pail, and played Zelda's Song backwards, it would talk to you, and tell you that you can now choose to spend the rest of your life with the girl at the stables, with your horse, and live happily ever after. If you choose yes, the game ends, and your safe file is erased or some junk.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jimson posted:

apparently there was a rumor going around for LoZOoC that if you stood in front of a milking pail, and played Zelda's Song backwards, it would talk to you, and tell you that you can now choose to spend the rest of your life with the girl at the stables, with your horse, and live happily ever after. If you choose yes, the game ends, and your safe file is erased or some junk.

You shouldn't have done that...

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

haveblue posted:

You can have a bobblehead of your Mii on the dashboard of your spaceship in Metroid Prime 3. Nintendo wins.

You can have your XBOX live avatar mii thing abomination hanging from your mirror in Dirt 2. Checkmate, nintendon't. :smug:

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Endorph posted:

It's more because people don't tend to say "gently caress" a lot in real life, even around really close friends.
haha, what? really?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Orzo posted:

haha, what? really?

Some people are like that. Other people, like me, will tell their mother that the movie they saw on the weekend was "loving awesome" or "a pile of poo poo" and not think twice about it.

It's almost like everyone's different or something!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endorph posted:

It's pretty rampant in LA.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Fuego Fish posted:

Well, yeah, that was my point, his original statement was ridiculous because it generalized 'people' so much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orzo posted:

haha, what? really?
Maybe it's just a regional thing, but I don't hear it that much in real life unless there's booze around.

I agree the generalization was stupid, though. I apologize.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Fuego Fish posted:

Some people are like that. Other people, like me, will tell their mother that the movie they saw on the weekend was "loving awesome" or "a pile of poo poo" and not think twice about it.

I learned how to swear because of my parents. You wouldn't believe the kind of poo poo my dad says when he's driving.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

abigserve posted:

You can have your XBOX live avatar mii thing abomination hanging from your mirror in Dirt 2. Checkmate, nintendon't. :smug:

You can poke it with the wiimote :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Having your Mii as an unlockable character in SSB:B would have been cool.