Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesto posted:

If I remember correctly I started that battle off by chain-hasting everyone, then let loose with my most powerful spells with my mages, or dedicated one of them to cure-alling the party to keep HP up. If you're running out of spells mid-battle, just go buy more.

Clint only has 1,382 HP, so hang in there. :)

Wait, wait- where'd you get haste? :aaaaa:

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Digital Scumbag posted:

At the risk of sounding like someone who has multiple Dragon Katanas, are there any RPGs featuring samurai* or have being a badass swordsman as more or less a plot point? I'm thinking something like Jack from Wild ARMs and how everyone knew how awesome "Quick Draw" was.

* - I've played Way of the Samurai series.

Tried Muramasa: The Demon Blade? It's an action RPG but it's an utterly beautiful game about collecting lots of swords and using them in badass ways.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

All this Exit Fate talk made me look for a link to the original archived thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075800

Lots of good info there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

All this talk about final dungeons and such, all while I'm grinding like crazy to get past Clint :( At least Frostmonger had a gimmick that made him easy to defeat. Clint? He just hits hard.

Just grind like a madman and buy physical defense stuff for your mages. If you're like me, you've probably just been sticking them in the back and putting floppy hats on them, but Clint can easily gently caress them over. Have your frontlines hulk out, keep your midlines healing and the mages unloading as much as possible. You'll need a lot of Cure-Alls to get through it.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Earthbound is the best rpg.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

jerkstore77 posted:

:what:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

jerkstore77 posted:

Behhhhhhh it had a lot of good ideas but I didnt like the game it was packaged up in.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Meme Emulator posted:

Behhhhhhh it had a lot of good ideas but I didnt like the game it was packaged up in.

We don't take kindly to you "I didn't like Earthbound" types around here.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Thanks to this thread I just started on Exit Fate and I have to say this is the best RPG Maker game I've ever played, at least so far. I dunno if SCF is reading this thread but mad props for making this thing and I really look forward to getting into it.

edit: maybe the best part of the game is the writing. The main character's intelligent and charismatic and all the supporting characters have their own touches of personality too. The story's also really good.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 26, 2010

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Zoids: Legacy was pretty fun, even if the translation was laughable (the fact that no one, fans or official sources, seem to agree on how to spell the names of most of the cast doesn't help. Poor Reese/Riss/Lise/etc and her 12+goddamn names). I ended up breaking the gently caress out of the game accidentally, because the way my Organoid evolved gave me a ridiculous damage bonus on the first turn after combination. I was taking down bosses with just my main character, poo poo was loving awesome :hellyeah:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gyoru posted:

All this Exit Fate talk made me look for a link to the original archived thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075800

Lots of good info there.

I don't have archives :(

Also, Soth- kicked my rear end the first time I went up against him with my A-Team, now I'm thinking of bringing Orlando, Deke and Myst and simply pummeling him with Photon Beams until he cries (can't find any better spells). Yea or nay?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 30, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesto posted:

In Exit Fate for bosses or anywhere else if you're having trouble, I typically just advise using Myst and Midian. They're dark-aligned, which seems to have the most powerful magic. Dark targets all, and since they're aligned with it, using it requires less MP and and hits harder.

Nah, it's all good; managed to defeat him by simply levelling to 55. For now, I'm relying on my hard hitters (Ayara, Daniel and Rock) to do damage while my spellcasters buff them, since enemies have so much HP. Daniel's turning out to be a much better PC than I thought- he's got good-ish MP+, good-ish physical stats; whenever he doesn't have enough MP to do poo poo (which is quite rare), he can kick rear end with the best of them. I'm at Level 79, gonna face Demon Sick and Trevor- any tips? Party's Rock, Ayara, Daniel, Rorschach, Myst and Orlando (because he's got good magic and Focus).

Jesto posted:

Also, reading the Final Fantasy thread griping about the lack of towns in earlier FF games made me decide to showcase this:

This is Everlong's world map. Every little blurb of black text marks a town, a dungeon or a temple. There are a ton of towns, quite a few you never even have to visit, each one beautifully detailed. Each habitable continent has towns and Kingdoms scattered everywhere to give the game a sort of feel that there's a world in motion around you that doesn't completely revolve around your character's actions.

The best thing is, that map is even missing quite a markers on it. I can count at least 10 unlabeled or secret areas. :dance:

Great- another game I have to get :)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

I'm at Level 79, gonna face Demon Sick and Trevor- any tips? Party's Rock, Ayara, Daniel, Rorschach, Myst and Orlando (because he's got good magic and Focus).

Most of the bosses near the end of Exit Fate can be summed up with "throw a shitload of magic at them," and those two aren't any different. Physical dudes unfortunately fall behind near the end of the game with the exception of a few heavy hitters (looking at you, Tarlia and Bruce).

Note that you don't necessarily have to win the two solo side fights with Sick/Trevor to actually get to Sick + Trevor, but I believe it does make them much easier when you fight them together if you beat both of them separately.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 30, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bruce also hits like a tank shell after you get Lock and Haste, since he gets whatever that skill is that lets you hit for extra damage but stuns you (which Lock negates).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I haven't heard a single thing about Final Fantasy IV: The After Years since its initial release. Never even heard anything when the various episodes were released. Was it entirely forgettable?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wendell posted:

I haven't heard a single thing about Final Fantasy IV: The After Years since its initial release. Never even heard anything when the various episodes were released. Was it entirely forgettable?
It's FFIV fanservice. The plot reads like FFIV fanfiction, which sounds pretty damning but honestly I didn't think it was that far off the bat for usual FF plots. The gameplay is basically the same, except with a boatload of new characters and some multi-character Techs like Chrono Trigger. The DLC system to give you each chapter is kind of a pain and ultimately drives up the price fairly high.

The best part about it in my opinion is the final chapter when all the characters come together, and you're given full control to set up your final party as you see fit. In doing so you can really break the game, and in some ways that becomes necessary given the enormous gauntlet of bosses you face in the very very long final dungeon.

Personally I had a lot of fun with it, but it is basically just fanservice for diehard FFIV fans.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

While it isn't in itself a RPG, I've heard people say Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker has a lot of RPG aspects to it. Anyone able to elaborate?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vermain posted:

Bruce also hits like a tank shell after you get Lock and Haste, since he gets whatever that skill is that lets you hit for extra damage but stuns you (which Lock negates).

poo poo, really? Guess I'm gonna have to go grind through Vanrushal's mansion again :(

Yeah, I'm looking at a guide (shut it, I'm not a good arepugger), and it seems Bruce is a better bet than Rock. That said, that's gonna be the onl;y change in the party (Ayara's just too drat :3: to get rid of, and after that scene in Fading Dream, well...)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

poo poo, really? Guess I'm gonna have to go grind through Vanrushal's mansion again :(

The secret ninja village place (Shadow Village? or whatever) that you take Rorschach on his sidequest in was usually my favorite leveling spot. You eventually get to the point where Myst/other mage can dust them in a few rounds and they give reams of EXP.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 30, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vermain posted:

The secret ninja village place (Shadow Village? or whatever) that you take Rorschach on his sidequest in was usually my favorite leveling spot. You eventually get to the point where Myst/other mage can dust them in a few rounds and they give reams of EXP.

Oh, so it's still ninja-infested? Huh, judging by Gilbert's words the place would have been emptied. Ah well, more XP for me and Bruce!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

iastudent posted:

While it isn't in itself a RPG, I've heard people say Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker has a lot of RPG aspects to it. Anyone able to elaborate?
The only real RPG aspects I can think of is the way your weapons level up as you use them, but its pretty inconsequential. Structurally, Peace Walker plays out a lot like Monster Hunter, but mechanically its just like every other MGS.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
Just getting started playing Exit Fate. Anything I should know about the game before I get too far in? Its going to annoy me if I get halfway through and find that I missed something on the way that would help me out.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 30, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesto posted:

Literally no character or item in the game is permanently missable to my knowledge - except certain items stealable off of optional bosses or end-game bosses, so always keep a thief in your party's reserve slots to swap in in-battle for stealing.

This. However, you only need to savescum if you're really anal-retentive; most bosses just carry equipment/spells that are a few levels higher than what you already have or can access, and random enemies are plentiful enough that if you find yourself having a stealing dry spell, just finish the fight and wait for the next batch of suckers.

Also, don't worry about the layout of your party; you can use most characters to get through the game easily, it's just a matter of how long you want fights to take. That said, I'd recommend keeping more than your main party leveled up- there will be times when you will need multiple parties, but those are far ahead in the game (basically, once your main party reaches level 48-50, then it's the time to level eup everyone else).

Jesto posted:

3) Once you get enough generals, every strategy war battle can be quickly A-Ranked by a swarm of mages and one of your units set as a tank to lure enemies in for damage.

This tactic is for cheesy scrubs. REAL MEN™ give each commander the unit they're best at and runs the battle from there. Better an honest C than a cheesed A :colbert:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 30, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesto posted:

Is that what you tell the loved ones of all the soldiers you let die with your reckless strategies? :colbert: I will accept no losses, everyone's coming home at the end of the war.

Besides, the infinite-movement-glitch is the tactic for cheesy scrubs. :haw: And I cheesed the hell out of that to A-Rank the secret final war battle map in the war battle testing room.

Infinite movement glitch? Now THAT I'm not aware of.

Also, REAL MEN AND WOMEN™ know that people die in wars- indeed, better to die a glorious death in battle, then forgo Valhalla by dying in bed :colbert:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 12, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesto posted:

Z+X at the same time when selecting where you want to move, able to be used to be used repeatedly to go anywhere on the map in one turn.

Of course, I expect you not to use this. What honor is there in cheating? :ohdear:

Perish the thought!

On a wholly unrelated note, will you get extra rewards if you replay the battles for higher ranks? As a purely hypothetical question, of course.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 12, 2014

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jesto posted:

This is Everlong's world map. Every little blurb of black text marks a town, a dungeon or a temple. There are a ton of towns, quite a few you never even have to visit, each one beautifully detailed. Each habitable continent has towns and Kingdoms scattered everywhere to give the game a sort of feel that there's a world in motion around you that doesn't completely revolve around your character's actions.

The best thing is, that map is even missing quite a markers on it. I can count at least 10 unlabeled or secret areas. :dance:
Sorry I need to take an issue with this game after playing it for roughly 20 hours. For one, all those "beautifully detailed" towns are filled to the BRIM with npcs - of which 1 out of 6 may say something remotely useful. It honestly felt like a chore to talk to people after about the 10th fluff town so I just stopped (at one point, there was literally 4 towns standing before the next dungeon - geez). Thankfully there's little indicators everytime you enter a town, that tell you if there's stuff in this town for you to pick up (but it's not exhaustive, side quests are not listed - although thankfully these NPCs tend to be distinctive in their appearance so you merely have to visit EVERY SINGLE HOUSE). I get that most of those towns are there just as filler, but I also wish they had made the indicators exhaustive with side quests as well - because I am no longer bothering to checklist the 50-100 npcs in each town.

Also this game is dirt dirt easy, and the AI does some questionably odd stuff (as far as I can tell, enemies just randomly pick something from their bag of tricks with some HP thresholds on certain abilities). The "shard" (skill) system looked kind of interesting at first, but it's really not as a lot of the abilities you get are identical except in elemental affiliation or confer a different status effect - which bosses are mostly immune to anyway so who cares.

The party characters are kind of tacky (although I do kind of like Justin), but that's to be expected in an indie RPG. It's kind of fun to see every single homage/theme from every single SNES RPG rolled into a single game. On the other hand, the author goes a little too far - we're talking NPCs crying about Halo to a guard on a wall shouting Holy Grail Audio Clips (in various quality/audio levels yikes).

Also the plot constantly ping pongs from having the party at the center of the world to the party being caught up in the world's events - never really settling on one or the other (I mostly attribute this to the fact that the game is trying to keep nearly a dozen subplots going at any given time with its "epic" setting).
A number of of grammatical errors/typos tend to really break the dialog up as well.

The music is good at least and some of the plot events are executed rather well for the RPG Maker engine.

I'll probably play a little further, but this game is definitely not an Exit Fate, Last Scenario, Spirit Engine 2, etc. Middling is appropriate.

[e]Actually upon reflection, it's probably equal to Last Scenario in quality. I sometimes view that game a bit in nostalgia as my first big indie RPG.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 4, 2010

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Rascyc posted:

Stuff about Everlong.

I'm at Vanguard and so far I agree with everything you said. I noticed that I'm getting by using just ordinary and special physical attacks with occasional healing, and without using any elemental/status abilities whatsoever. In other words easy peasy.

On the plus side you are rewarded well for exploring and opening monster chests, and the Temple of Aurora was basically one big series of puzzles which was great. I hate to quit now but there are other games to play and I'm not sure if I want to continue all the way until the end :(

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
For the most part I think the towns and such look fine, it was mostly the thousands of generic NPCs (of which there's only maybe 6 generic npc models in the opening arc or so) that stuck out at me. The dungeons can very from interesting to a little bland but at least they're usually short and encounter rates are minimal (something adjusted in a recent patch from my understanding). The puzzles can get a little annoying at times but at least you can skip them at the forfeiture of elixirs or other random consumable stuff (I've yet to skip one personally though).

The opening arc has the love letter and the wandering traveler dude. I don't know if anything meaningful comes out of it, I only highlight it as "side-quest'ish" because it's the only thing that seems separate than the thousands of useless NPCs in the various towns. Still pretty hard to miss them though if you take a casual glance through the towns.

Also I am definitely not playing a new game+ of this thing if it's as many hours as people boast =V Things have kind of picked up on the challenge scale as I was climbing the witch's tower (particularly Chimeras were annoying) but then I grabbed armor break and everything is back in joke territory. In particular, the all-hit skills take a lot of mana or whatever so I have to use the somewhat expensive tinctures to make it through the now-longer dungeons.

Nice to see the osmosis-skills from the FF games aren't useless in this, although it seems enemies have near infinite mana so I don't really get the point of some of the straight mana burn skills.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jesto posted:

It gets much, much harder as the game goes on. Particularly when you unlock the Tomb in NewGame+ mode.
I've never played this game so I can't really comment on anything else, but.

"This game is too easy!"
"Don't worry, it gets harder after you beat the game!"

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Where do all these apparently huge indie RPGs come from, anyway? Who makes them and how do they find the time, especially when entire developers have been scaling back their own RPGs these days presumably due to time and money constraints? I'm impressed, but puzzled.