Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

People Have Died
Aug 30, 2003

Apologies if it was already discussed, but is this really true regarding the classic Atari 2600 game, Berzerk?

quote:

Berzerk was the first video game known to have been involved in the death of a player. In January 1981, 19-year-old Jeff Dailey died of a heart attack soon after posting a score of 16,660 on Berzerk.[8] In October of the following year, Peter Burkowski made the Berzerk top-ten list twice in fifteen minutes, just a few seconds before also dying of a heart attack at the age of 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

The same with Microsoft and Avatars. They've stated that they won't let them show up in games that do anything violent to the Avatar.

There are a ton of Xbox Indie Avatar fighting games.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

21stCentury posted:

Yeah, but it's all in good fun with protective gear and everything.

Do they wear headgear in Wii Boxing? I thought that was just the fencing in Resort.

EDIT:

Click here to watch a Mii get punched full in the face.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 1, 2010

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!

People Have Died posted:

Apologies if it was already discussed, but is this really true regarding the classic Atari 2600 game, Berzerk?

Definitely true for Burkowski. I grew up near the arcade where he died and it was all over the news.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So I'm surprised this one hasn't come up yet.

In Lunar 2: Eternal Blue for Sega CD, the game's English manual referenced an item called the "Dark Scimitar" which was supposed to be extremely powerful:

However, no one ever found the item, despite immense crazy searching. (I know because I had some friends who spent considerable time searching for it.) The game's producer for the US release repeatedly claimed it was possible to find in-game, and talked up the item's abilities.

Various rumors persisted about how and where it could be located; including beating unwinnable battles, not opening certain chests and coming back to them after the game's conclusion (it had a playable ending), .etc. The data on the game's CD referenced a few other items that didn't otherwise seem to exist in the game, leading to speculation they might be located together.

Eventually, people located a bug (the "Lemina" bug) which allowed you to glitch the game and put certain items into your inventory; however, when you did this, the Dark Scmitar didn't have the abilities the game's US staff claimed it did. The game's US executive producer claimed that the item's abilities didn't work unless you obtain the items legitimately, and continued to claim it was possible to obtain -- and that he would never reveal how.

This was back in the early days of the internet, and lead to numerous flamewars and bannings on the forum on the publisher's site.

HUMOROUSLY, when the game was released (with updated graphics) on the PSX, there was a hidden picture in the game of one of the villains holding this item.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 1, 2010

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Endorph posted:

Maybe it's just a regional thing, but I don't hear it that much in real life unless there's booze around.

I agree the generalization was stupid, though. I apologize.

Nah I agree with you. Most people in the world don't casually drop the F-Bomb, and if you do it over here in australia is accepted but its also quite unsophisticated and bogan. The goons knew what you meant, they were just being purposefully obtuse because they wanted to say how they swore in front of their parents.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

Ironically, when the game was released (with updated graphics) on the PSX, there was a hidden picture in the game of one of the villains holding this item.
How is this ironic? Is it like rain on your wedding day?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Akuma posted:

Is it like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Akuma posted:

Clearly. :colbert: (Changed)

Anyway, I seem to remember rumors back in the day about some of the other Zelda games have second quests hidden somewhere, like the first one did.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Having your Mii as an unlockable character in SSB:B would have been cool.

Before it was released, I was almost ready to bet money that there'd be a Fighting Mii Team in the vein of the Fighting Polygon Team. Oh well.

Sir Spaniard posted:

Not really sure it's an urban legend/hoax, but it is game related.

What's the deal with everyone seeing the Goldeneye 64 case's Brosnan pic as having an extended mouth? I can see why it'd be a little confusing, since it's in grayscale, but looking closely, it's a hand. Yet, every site or mention I've seen, no one else seems to 'debunk'/mention that.

Aw, jeez. I would have never seen the extended mouth if it weren't for this post. I just had to GIS it, didn't I :doh:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Fonzarelli posted:

Nah I agree with you. Most people in the world don't casually drop the F-Bomb,

Depends where you are. North of england, you'll hear everyone say it including 10 year olds. It's not that big a deal here.
As such, seeing people refer to it as an 'f-bomb' makes me think you live in the bible belt and are around 50 years old.
It was a bad generalisation.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

So I'm surprised this one hasn't come up yet.

In Lunar 2: Eternal Blue for Sega CD, the game's English manual referenced an item called the "Dark Scimitar" which was supposed to be extremely powerful:

However, no one ever found the item, despite immense crazy searching. (I know because I had some friends who spent considerable time searching for it.) The game's producer for the US release repeatedly claimed it was possible to find in-game, and talked up the item's abilities.

Various rumors persisted about how and where it could be located; including beating unwinnable battles, not opening certain chests and coming back to them after the game's conclusion (it had a playable ending), .etc. The data on the game's CD referenced a few other items that didn't otherwise seem to exist in the game, leading to speculation they might be located together.

Eventually, people located a bug (the "Lemina" bug) which allowed you to glitch the game and put certain items into your inventory; however, when you did this, the Dark Scmitar didn't have the abilities the game's US staff claimed it did. The game's US executive producer claimed that the item's abilities didn't work unless you obtain the items legitimately, and continued to claim it was possible to obtain -- and that he would never reveal how.

This was back in the early days of the internet, and lead to numerous flamewars and bannings on the forum on the publisher's site.

HUMOROUSLY, when the game was released (with updated graphics) on the PSX, there was a hidden picture in the game of one of the villains holding this item.

I beat that game about a thousand times on sega cd. If that scimitar was available, I'd have found it.

Seriously, someone must have decompiled that game by now, and if that were available, they'd have found it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I seriously love this stuff, digging up things lost in code.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 23, 2014

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

ohnoitschris posted:

Before it was released, I was almost ready to bet money that there'd be a Fighting Mii Team in the vein of the Fighting Polygon Team. Oh well.

Aw, jeez. I would have never seen the extended mouth if it weren't for this post. I just had to GIS it, didn't I :doh:

I didn't intend for it to be the case, but.. Trap sprung, I guess. :D

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

People Have Died posted:

True, but he died playing the Stern Electronics coin-op game, not the Atari 2600 version, which was not released until over a year after his death.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

The Bible posted:

I beat that game about a thousand times on sega cd. If that scimitar was available, I'd have found it.
Isn't that why it belongs in this thread? :)

The Bible posted:

Seriously, someone must have decompiled that game by now, and if that were available, they'd have found it.
I and some friends decompiled several Sega CD games; we didn't do EB, but we did Lunar 1 (TSS) as it supposedly had a bunch of content that was cut.

Sadly, there were no extra maps there. Although there is an empty character slot...

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mister Roboto posted:

Would anyone be interested in a megathread about Final Fantasy stuff? I have a ton of material that would be interesting for people who like cut, hidden or flat out bizarre stuff. I made a thread about it once but it strangely vanished with lack of interest.

I'd be interested in that, I'm surprised a thread about that would not gather much interest.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'd be interested in that, I'm surprised a thread about that would not gather much interest.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 23, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Mister Roboto posted:

Me too, but it got inexplicably moved to YCS by a mod and then fell to obscurity. Dunno why, I put lots of effort into it (Iceblue helped me too, he deserves praise).

I'll do another one up.

If anyone has some rare Final Fantasy material, I'd be grateful. I mean REALLY rare, like, for example, the FF6 character who didn't make the list (she was a female with whips).

I'm not a big fan of Final Fantasy anymore by ANY means but I would completely love a thread or posts like this. If you post in the Final Fantasy thread, link it here.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Mister Roboto posted:

Me too, but it got inexplicably moved to YCS by a mod and then fell to obscurity. Dunno why, I put lots of effort into it (Iceblue helped me too, he deserves praise).

I'll do another one up.

If anyone has some rare Final Fantasy material, I'd be grateful. I mean REALLY rare, like, for example, the FF6 character who didn't make the list (she was a female with whips).

Do you have a link for those of us with Archives?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Skychrono posted:

Do you have a link for those of us with Archives?

I don't have archives. :(

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Mister Roboto posted:

Like, did you know FF7's Midgar was originally New York? And Cloud's original name was "Hot Blooded" Detective Joe?

So it was originally Parasite Eve?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Keep 'em coming!

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Mister Roboto posted:

Would anyone be interested in a megathread about Final Fantasy stuff? I have a ton of material that would be interesting for people who like cut, hidden or flat out bizarre stuff. I made a thread about it once but it strangely vanished with lack of interest.

This would be sweet. At the worst, you could just post it in this thread and it could be linked in the OP or something.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

With Goldeneye's remake coming out on the Wii in the next week or so, I wonder if there will be any Easter Eggs referring to the original - like being able to get to the island or having every Bond available. That'd be cool.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Hell yes.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Mister Roboto posted:

I too, would be absolutely interested in a thread like that. I can't help but find cut or unused content fascinating. I think it's just the "what if" factor that gets me.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Please, make that thread and link it here.

FF7's Midgar originally being New York is making my brain hurt. A real life location in a Final Fantasy game? :psyduck:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

liquidypoo posted:

FF7's Midgar originally being New York is making my brain hurt. A real life location in a Final Fantasy game? :psyduck:

I can kinda see it. Square clearly wanted FF7 to be a departure for the series in terms of setting and tone, and that's what it ended up being...just not as much as originally considered.

It's not so much the real-life thing that gets me as the fact that they chose an American city. This is a JRPG, shouldn't they all be Japanese high school students?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Rocketlex posted:

I can kinda see it. Square clearly wanted FF7 to be a departure for the series in terms of setting and tone, and that's what it ended up being...just not as much as originally considered.

It's not so much the real-life thing that gets me as the fact that they chose an American city. This is a JRPG, shouldn't they all be Japanese high school students?

Back in those days, Japanese companies didn't know Japan appealed to so many people. They figured the best way to get in the market was to market something the Americans knew. They already had all the support they needed from the Japanese. Plus, back in the late 90s, Japanese RPGs were still largely influenced by Western themes and settings.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Just an FYI there's a final fantasy thread already:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3351797

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

RagnarokAngel posted:

Just an FYI there's a final fantasy thread already:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3351797

I think that would be by far a separate enough concept to warent a new thread.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
No, it really wouldn't

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm thinking he can make a big post here or there for it. I don't know if it's worth its own thread.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This is pulled from Zelda Informer, but: http://www.zeldainformer.com/2010/11/haunted-majoras-mask-has-one-last-great-twist-up-its-sleeve.html

Apparently the BEN DROWNED guy is now making an actual game as a conclusion to his epic story. You'll have to hunt for clues on his Youtube channel and website.

I think this is going to crash and burn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

This is pulled from Zelda Informer, but: http://www.zeldainformer.com/2010/11/haunted-majoras-mask-has-one-last-great-twist-up-its-sleeve.html

Apparently the BEN DROWNED guy is now making an actual game as a conclusion to his epic story. You'll have to hunt for clues on his Youtube channel and website.

"Oh hey, these videos are kind of clever. I mean, you sort of blew it near the end but"
"I AM A GENIUS OF HORROR! TIME TO MAKE MY OWN GAME!"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Amppelix posted:

His greatest mistake was going public. He should have stayed in character the entire time.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Lone Rogue posted:

His greatest mistake was going public. He should have stayed in character the entire time.

But then he couldn't have requested donations. It's not cheap running an ARG through youtube.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Maybe that WAS in-character :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lucidphoole posted:

But then he couldn't have requested donations. It's not cheap running an ARG through youtube.

Are you kidding me? If he kept it all haunted and poo poo and never admitted to it, and the ghost tossed up a PayPal? You bet someone is going to throw him a dime.