Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

areyoucontagious posted:

I have a question about other advanced degrees and how they factor into my acceptance (or lack thereof) into a school:

Say for example, I have a PhD from a top 10 school in Biology (or chemistry, or physics, or whatever). Does this improve my chances dramatically compared to other students? Assume that I can score well enough on the LSAT and that my undergraduate and graduate GPAs are competitive.

I'm aware that those are huge assumptions, but I'm just curious about the advanced degree. Basically I'm interested in patent law and have no interest in continuing scientific research.

My brother in law did exactly this (PhD in pharmasomething from ivy league). His PhD actually made him a very desirable candidate, and from what I understand a PhD in a hard science is pretty much the only thing besides LSAT/GPA/URM that makes you desirable to law schools. With his high GPA/LSAT he was actively courted by every law school and got a free ride to a T10.

Be warned though, he had to compete with the other hard science PhD in his law school for the one singular patent law firm that was hiring summer associates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

A friends sister is spending 100k to go to a T3 lawschool in boston and plans to become a FBI agent with the degree. Aside from the obvious salary vs education cost issues, can someone clear up how retarded this plan is for me? I can find piles of information explaining how she will never sucessfully be a normal lawyer, but info on using a law degree to become an agent seems sparse.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

A friends sister is spending 100k to go to a T3 lawschool in boston and plans to become a FBI agent with the degree. Aside from the obvious salary vs education cost issues, can someone clear up how retarded this plan is for me? I can find piles of information explaining how she will never sucessfully be a normal lawyer, but info on using a law degree to become an agent seems sparse.

I'd love to be an FBI agent attorney. Sign me up. Do they get guns?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

It's one of the four paths to becoming an agent, so it's not completely retarded. However, as someone who just went through the FBI hiring process, I can say that it is insanely competitive. Having a law degree certainly isn't a guarantee that she'd become an agent. In fact, the applicant pool is so over-saturated with lawyers that it's worth less than it used to be (just like in the real world). The agent I was working with said he would not have recommended me on the strength of my degree alone, and only pushed me along the process because I have prior law enforcement experience.

TL;DR Her plan is pretty retarded.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Asked this in another thread, but this seems to be a good thread too to ask it.

I've recently been hired as operations manager of a security startup that does private investigation, among other things. I was thinking about drumming up some business from lawyers and law firms, but lawyers are strange animals to me. Do you have any tips on how to approach them to do a bit of marketing?

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS
A J.D is more malleable than an MBA. Also law school is very intellectually stimulating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEnj-fVFWmw

http://www.thetrialsoflawschool.com/

areyoucontagious posted:

I have a question about other advanced degrees and how they factor into my acceptance (or lack thereof) into a school:

Say for example, I have a PhD from a top 10 school in Biology (or chemistry, or physics, or whatever). Does this improve my chances dramatically compared to other students? Assume that I can score well enough on the LSAT and that my undergraduate and graduate GPAs are competitive.

I'm aware that those are huge assumptions, but I'm just curious about the advanced degree. Basically I'm interested in patent law and have no interest in continuing scientific research.

May I ask why you don't want to continue to pursue scientific research?

Forever Zero fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 2, 2010

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Kemper Boyd posted:

I've recently been hired as operations manager of a security startup that does private investigation, among other things. I was thinking about drumming up some business from lawyers and law firms, but lawyers are strange animals to me. Do you have any tips on how to approach them to do a bit of marketing?

Talk to divorce lawyers and cut your rates cause aint nobody got any money

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Wyatt posted:

It's one of the four paths to becoming an agent, so it's not completely retarded. However, as someone who just went through the FBI hiring process, I can say that it is insanely competitive. Having a law degree certainly isn't a guarantee that she'd become an agent. In fact, the applicant pool is so over-saturated with lawyers that it's worth less than it used to be (just like in the real world). The agent I was working with said he would not have recommended me on the strength of my degree alone, and only pushed me along the process because I have prior law enforcement experience.

TL;DR Her plan is pretty retarded.

How long did it take for your process to go through? My former coworker became a FBI agent. The total application-to-interview process took him at least 2 years. He kept having interviews and offers delayed due to budgeting uncertainties and general bureaucratic inertia.

He went to Hofstra, but he got a job at Weill Gotshall as a bankruptcy associate and worked his way out of the legal sector from there. He has family ties to law enforcement and did stuff like volunteer firemen work, but something tells me he still got incredibly lucky.

Forever Zero posted:

A J.D is more malleable than an MBA. Also law school is very intellectually stimulating.

Jesus Christ, this just makes me mad.

I want to slap that dean from Emory so bad.

Ugh. And Meg Penrose? Yes. They'll come to you for legal advice... as their lawyer. What do you think in-house counsel do?

I like how the best case for law school articulated in that clip makes law school sound like the basic home economics or civics classes that high schools used to have.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 2, 2010

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

A law degree will get you into the application process, but you'll probably need some good work experience to make it through the interview process.

TyChan posted:

How long did it take for your process to go through? My former coworker became a FBI agent. The total application-to-interview process took him at least 2 years. He kept having interviews and offers delayed due to budgeting uncertainties and general bureaucratic inertia.
I can't speak to anything post interview, but my application to interview timeline was something like:

early/mid spring - applied
May - Phase 1 test - got passing results a few weeks later I think
Because I was the only person that was honest and didn't just lie on the physical fitness form and say I could pass the PFT when I did phase 1, my application was in a holding pattern while I trained for that. Sent them a passing form in December, it got lost. Called them in February about my status, sent them a new form, she said she'd get me into phase 2.
June this year - bombed phase 2

So a little over a year, but I could have cut that down a bit. I got the impression a lot depends on the field office you're applying to though and who the coordinator wants to move on. Apparently they get rated on the success rate of applicants they decide to move on to phase 2.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Kemper Boyd posted:

Make sure you are licensed as a private investigator in the state you are operating in. One of my partners got a PI's testimony tossed from a case because he was unlicensed.

Then put together a powerpoint presentation on some interesting investigative issues, call the local bar association, and volunteer to do a Continuing Legal Education Seminar.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

CaptainScraps posted:

Mookie raises a good point.

IF IT'S TAUGHT BY AN ADJUNCT PROFESSOR, TAKE IT.
Just in dissent from this: The patent litigation workshop I took at UT was taught by two partners from Weil in Houston and it was the most useless class I'd ever taken. They gave zero feedback on our written assignments outside of final grades, and it was completely random on a given week whether in-class exercises would be judged by one dude, the other dude, both dudes, or some hapless co-worker of theirs completely unfamiliar with the course's structure and fact pattern.

I'm sure they were competent attorneys, but they were busy attorneys, and totally incompetent teachers.

Wando
May 22, 2006
My friend and I are both Graduate students in EE. For the past week he's been pushing to go to Law school to be a IP lawyer. I've shown him this thread and he still feels it's a good idea to go to law school since you can make >150K a year if admitted to T14 schools.

What do you guys think?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Forever Zero posted:

That was sick.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Wando posted:

My friend and I are both Graduate students in EE. For the past week he's been pushing to go to Law school to be a IP lawyer. I've shown him this thread and he still feels it's a good idea to go to law school since you can make >150K a year if admitted to T14 schools.

What do you guys think?

Yeah but add it up against the cost of law school, plus interest from debt, the uncertainty of employment, and the opportunity costs of losing three years salary as an engineer. Plus you will have to deal on a daily basis with law students, lawyers, and all these other assholes (cf grumblefish).

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

Wando posted:

What do you guys think?

EE is the most desired tech background other than maybe a biotech PhD. So that's a plus.

However:
Those high-paying biglaw jobs? Not so good for the lifestyle if you're busy, and not going to last if you're not. On top of that, patent prosecution, his most likely path, is so soul-crushingly boring that my friends in prosecution are desperately trying to lateral.

Career trajectories can be weird, even if you get a job out of law school - for example, I got canned by my biglaw firm when they screwed things up with a client responsible for 85% of my billables. I eventually found something in-house, but it'll likely never lead back to a big firm because it's somewhat non-standard, and it's unlikely I'll make as much as I used to for a long, long time. Even in ideal conditions, I would likely have left the firm after 4-5 years, so it's a limited period of that big firm income, too.

And that's 150k of debt, plus 3 years of lost wages to potentially become less marketable, depending on his current options.

Anthropolis
Jun 9, 2002

Forever Zero posted:

About that "intellectual stimulation" thing, I swear I am now dumber after two years of law school. I think about complex issues in dumber, more reductivist, and stupidly-legalistic ways, and it's scary. Or maybe it's just the alcoholism.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Anthropolis posted:

About that "intellectual stimulation" thing, I swear I am now dumber after two years of law school. I think about complex issues in dumber, more reductivist, and stupidly-legalistic ways, and it's scary. Or maybe it's just the alcoholism.

"gently caress it, pay me and I'll argue either way, I don't really care."

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008
oh hey a law school colleague of mine got her letter to the NYT published: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/opinion/l01workers.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

Forever Zero posted:

I listened to the judge and was confused about the rage, but then... oh god.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
One thing a legal education has done for me--and by that I really mean what I've learned since graduating from law school--is that I am utterly unafraid to engage anyone about any issue involving business, conflict, or contracts. My bullshit meter works pretty well too. And at the end of the day I know that the worst thing that will happen to me is I'll get sued or sue someone else, and I'm pretty comfortable with that conflict.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Also what the gently caress is ginko balboa? Is that some kind of aromatic liqueur?

CrazeeDonkee
Jul 9, 2003

Racist, stupid, and poor

Wando posted:

What do you guys think?

It's still a difficult market for MSEEs.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

TyChan posted:

How long did it take for your process to go through? My former coworker became a FBI agent. The total application-to-interview process took him at least 2 years.

From the time of my application to the actual Phase II interview was right around one year.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Wando posted:

What do you guys think?
Law school is a major risk even at a T14. But if your friend isn't having luck finding a job as an electrical engineer or has lost interest in engineering he could look into spending some time as a patent examiner. Most people find the work boring, but the pay is good, it would give him an opportunity to assess whether he actually is interested in IP law, and it will help him later on if he does eventually decide to go down that path.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Solomon Grundy posted:

A Ph.D. in a liberal arts field you say?

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7451115/

"Harold Bloom is a misogynistic narcissist..."

Hahahaha...burnnnnn on Blooooooom.

*cough*

Anyone for tacos?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I was trying the FBI route before the IRS picked me up. I passed phase 1 without any issue, but the only reason I was even moving towards phase 2 was because of language skills (I speak Italian) and not because I was an attorney.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also what the gently caress is ginko balboa? Is that some kind of aromatic liqueur?

It's what Rocky used to suceed as a sexagenarian pugilist

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Just watched the Paper Chase. Is this what 1L year was supposed to be? No wonder I got the grades I did...

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
Army JAG packet in.

Hope hope hope hope hope hope.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Today I bought a single roll of toilet paper with change that I scrounged from my bedroom floor because I couldn't afford anything better and I wasn't sure I could hold it in until work tomorrow morning, where the toilet paper is free like some kind of proletariat paradise

granted I'm actually working now (at a nonlegal temp job) and the only reason I'm broke is because I don't get a regular paycheck because they hired me as an independent contractor (not 100% sure it's legal but I don't wanna rock the boat) but I still feel like this counts as a new low

I scrounged up a little more change and bought a 40 to dull the pain

All you LSAT guys should totally go to law school it pays off real well. i LOVE being a lawyer

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
hope

TheAttackSlug posted:

Army JAG packet in.

Hope hope hope hope hope hope.

change

Ainsley McTree posted:

Today I bought a single roll of toilet paper with change that I scrounged from my bedroom floor because I couldn't afford anything better and I wasn't sure I could hold it in until work tomorrow morning, where the toilet paper is free like some kind of proletariat paradise

granted I'm actually working now (at a nonlegal temp job) and the only reason I'm broke is because I don't get a regular paycheck because they hired me as an independent contractor (not 100% sure it's legal but I don't wanna rock the boat) but I still feel like this counts as a new low

I scrounged up a little more change and bought a 40 to dull the pain

All you LSAT guys should totally go to law school it pays off real well. i LOVE being a lawyer

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
work poop is the best poop. you get paid to do it.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

I actually applied to be an FBI special agent. FBI special agents hire from, um, 8ish fields. These fields are: military, computer forensics, computer science, language (Chinese/Arabic/etc only pls), law enforcement, hard science graduate degrees, something else, and the law. When I applied, I got accepted through the first round. In my letter of acceptance, they said, and I quote, "We have received an unprecedented amount of law and computer science applicants, and as such we will not be evaluating them this hiring round beyond the first round. If you choose to continue though the first round with only these specialties, then please be prepared to not advance."

In other words, tell your dumb oval office of a "friend's sister" to become a cop and/or military officer, then go to law school, and she may have a slightly elevated chance at becoming an FBI special agent. Or she can just go into the military and learn something useful that is applicable after she gets shot at for several years.

Side note: would it be preferable to be shot at for several years, or go to law school and repay a full student loan debt? Easy choice: I'll take the bullet.

Edit: I would literally take a bullet to be unsaddled from my debt. I wonder how much I could sell a shot to the stomach and/or a shot to various meaty extremities. There's got to be someone fetishing about this that is willing to pay me $100k

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 3, 2010

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
3 Iowa Supreme Court Justices just lost their job via Mid-term Judicial Retention vote. Backlash against their decision in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varnum_v._Brien .

This shits a disgrace. Guess we will look forward to Judges having to make political campaign Ad's solicit donations now or something?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

TheAttackSlug posted:

work poop is the best poop. you get paid to do it.

Billing for a luxurious 15 minute poo poo was probably the most satisfaction I've derived from the practice of law to date.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
:siren: NERD ALERT :siren: here's the oral argument transcript of that video game case that went before SCOTUS. http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/08-1448.pdf

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
scalia blows his cooldowns at the very beginning

edit: I want to be a con law video game lawyer

edit edit: mortal kombat is spelled with a K, you scrubs

TheAttackSlug fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 3, 2010

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
CLS people, do you have any recommendations on which 1L elective I should take? Here are the options:

Law and Economics (Prof. Victor Goldberg)
Legislation (Prof. Richard Briffault)
Principles of Intellectual Property (Prof. Scott Hemphill)
Critical Legal Thought (Prof. Katherine Franke)
Foundations of the Regulatory State (Prof. Peter Strauss)
The United States and the International Legal System (Prof. Matthew Waxman)

I'm leaning toward Critical Legal Thought, Legislation, and the International class but I'm generally pretty open-minded.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

sigmachiev posted:

:siren: NERD ALERT :siren: here's the oral argument transcript of that video game case that went before SCOTUS. http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/08-1448.pdf

Did you go? What is your sense of where it is going?

you or SWATjester?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Holland Oats posted:

CLS people, do you have any recommendations on which 1L elective I should take? Here are the options:

Law and Economics (Prof. Victor Goldberg)
Legislation (Prof. Richard Briffault)
Principles of Intellectual Property (Prof. Scott Hemphill)
Critical Legal Thought (Prof. Katherine Franke)
Foundations of the Regulatory State (Prof. Peter Strauss)
The United States and the International Legal System (Prof. Matthew Waxman)

I'm leaning toward Critical Legal Thought, Legislation, and the International class but I'm generally pretty open-minded.

Not a CLS person, but if Foundations of the Regulatory State is just a fancy name for Admin Law, I'd take that. If you want to work for a federal agency or department it will be a good selling point in interviews and cover letters.