Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronson17
Dec 18, 2003

No dice.

TyChan posted:

They're already out? I remember my exam results didn't come out until right before Thanksgiving.

They screwed up and posted the list for like an hour earlier before taking it down. Someone on ATL got a screenshot of the whole thing, so I guess they just decided to make it official since everyone already knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
I don't think they were supposed to post them for another week, but they kind of jumped the gun today and probably felt it was easier to just send them out than to continue denying that it happened and stall for a week or more.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Harry Ellis posted:

Yup; just got the email with the pdf and all that good stuff.

My gf took it last year she got an email the day before letting her know they were coming out... no warning this time.

Well, congratulations!

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
So, I've never posted in this thread before, but I figure you're the people to ask for this kind of advice. As part of my school's OCI process, I've been invited to dinner by two of the big firms that I applied to. I'm looking to see if anyone has any tips or tricks on how to conduct myself at these dinners. I mean, obviously this is a part of the interview process for the firms, probably as much a part as the interviews themselves, but does anyone have any particular wisdom or advice with reference to the dinners or even with reference to the OCI process in general? How should I act? What should I wear?

If this is relevant I'm in Toronto and I'm a 1L. This is my first crack at this sort of thing, and so I'm a bit nervous.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
The Maryland Bar Association wishes to inform me that I have successfully passed the examination for membership at bar.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Gleri posted:

So, I've never posted in this thread before, but I figure you're the people to ask for this kind of advice. As part of my school's OCI process, I've been invited to dinner by two of the big firms that I applied to. I'm looking to see if anyone has any tips or tricks on how to conduct myself at these dinners. I mean, obviously this is a part of the interview process for the firms, probably as much a part as the interviews themselves, but does anyone have any particular wisdom or advice with reference to the dinners or even with reference to the OCI process in general? How should I act? What should I wear?

If this is relevant I'm in Toronto and I'm a 1L. This is my first crack at this sort of thing, and so I'm a bit nervous.

I'll let someone else handle the "answering your questions" part and just give another Torontonian a :respek:

Congrats to the bar passers too!

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008
Alright, help me law thread:

I'm registered in Minnesota. I took the NY bar this summer while job-hunting, but in the meantime I got an in-house gig up here. I'm still open to the idea of moving around and have family in NY I'd kind of like to be closer to, but I'm no longer looking all that actively, and am pretty happy with my current gig and staying in Minnesota.

Worth it to get admitted in NY? Assume my current employer would not pay for registration, bar dues, or any NY CLE needs that couldn't get knocked off through my CLEs in MN.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn
So wait, other states are literally just now releasing their bar examination results, whereas here we've already been sworn in? Another reason why Illinois is the best state in the union; if America was a person then this state would be the heart given its geographical location, and a heart is an important organ. The coasts would be love handles or something which seriously people can live without

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
How do you get graded in a clinic if the clinic ends before the cases you work on are resolved? I mean maybe you wrote a brilliant and poetic brief but does it really matter if you lose?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
If I see the interior of a courtroom on behalf of one of these clients I will kiss the loving ground. This is such bullshit.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

OptimistPrime posted:

Alright, help me law thread:

I'm registered in Minnesota. I took the NY bar this summer while job-hunting, but in the meantime I got an in-house gig up here. I'm still open to the idea of moving around and have family in NY I'd kind of like to be closer to, but I'm no longer looking all that actively, and am pretty happy with my current gig and staying in Minnesota.

Worth it to get admitted in NY? Assume my current employer would not pay for registration, bar dues, or any NY CLE needs that couldn't get knocked off through my CLEs in MN.

Wait. You have a job in one state but you want to get barred in another because you are "open to moving around"?

Can you read?

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

billion dollar bitch posted:

If I see the interior of a courtroom on behalf of one of these clients I will kiss the loving ground. This is such bullshit.

maybe you should drop out if you can't hack the actual practice of law.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Draile posted:

How do you get graded in a clinic if the clinic ends before the cases you work on are resolved? I mean maybe you wrote a brilliant and poetic brief but does it really matter if you lose?

Usually I think a clinic is fairly "good faith" about the whole thing, like if you turned out good product and put the work in you get an A. At least here.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Gleri posted:

Take your cues from the other people--only order booze if they do, same with desserts and crap. You're done eating when they are. Expect to not get to eat all that much as you answer a lot of questions.

Try to order non-messy, middle-of-the-road price poo poo.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

J Miracle posted:

Usually I think a clinic is fairly "good faith" about the whole thing, like if you turned out good product and put the work in you get an A. At least here.
Here only a maximum of 50% can get Hs (as opposed to Ps) in clinics, but clinics are broken down into three four-credit sections so that each person can get a couple of Hs. The sections, as one professor described it, are something like Clinical Coursework, Clinical Methods, and Clinical Bullshit--they tried to make them as uninformative as possible since no one would want their P to be in "Ethics" or "Writing Ability" or something like that.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

Save me jeebus posted:

Wait. You have a job in one state but you want to get barred in another because you are "open to moving around"?

Can you read?

Edit: apparently I can't read either, ignore.

OptimistPrime fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 6, 2010

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Ok, well, if anyone is interested in helping educate a friendly face, Id like to try and get a better grasp of how the US SC works when it comes to receiving / considering applications/cases/motions and such.

Today the Log Cabin Republicans filed an application to the US Supreme Court via Anthony Kennedy to vacate the Stay imposed by the Federal Court.

.PDF of the Application:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/41230670/LCR-v-USA-Application-to-US-Supreme-Court-November-5th

quote:

"We have today filed an application with the United States Supreme Court asking it to vacate the Ninth Circuit's order staying Judge Phillips's injunction pending appeal. We argue in this application that the Ninth Circuit order was arbitrary and an abuse of discretion and should be vacated immediately. We continue to look forward to the day when all Americans can serve in our military without regard to their sexual orientation," said Dan Woods, White & Case partner who is representing Log Cabin Republicans.

Q: Will the entire Supreme Court be involved in considering whether to vacate the Ninth Circuit order?

A: That is up to Justice Kennedy. He may decide himself or he may refer the application to the full court.

Q: How long will the review take?

A: That is also up to the court. The Court may allow the government the opportunity to respond to our application.

Q: What are the next steps if the Court vacates the ruling/doesn't vacate the ruling?

A: If the Court vacates the stay order, DADT is dead pending the appeal, and we have for all intents and purposes won. If it doesn't, we will next move in the Ninth Circuit to expedite the Judge Phillips's decision.

I mean, I obviously understand what Is said in the above Quote, but how exactly does this thing work/how is it constituted that particular judges hear applications and may or may not refer it to the full court?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Draile posted:

Winning or losing has more to do with which end of the power stick you're holding than whether you're right or brilliant or poetic or have justice on your side.
Slow the eviction down for a week so the family can move their stuff out? win.
Get rentacenter to take their broken crap back and call it even so the family doesn't have to pay the remaining usurious balance? win.
Get 12 years on Man1 from a jury rather than the State's offer of 40 on Murder2, even though it should have been an acquittal? Still a win.

billion dollar bitch posted:

I mean when you think about grading, in the absence of case work to do. My professor feels like she has to take up the class time, and then also (pointless) meetings with her, and mock interviews with stupid people who just say "I don't know" to every single loving question. I rue the day I signed up, thinking it would be seven easy credits. How do you grade on this?

A clinic with an absence of casework? When legal aid organizations are turning people away? What do clinics do these days?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lemonus posted:

Ok, well, if anyone is interested in helping educate a friendly face, Id like to try and get a better grasp of how the US SC works when it comes to receiving / considering applications/cases/motions and such.
I mean, I obviously understand what Is said in the above Quote, but how exactly does this thing work/how is it constituted that particular judges hear applications and may or may not refer it to the full court?

It's a motion pursuant to SCOTUS Rule 22. The Chief Justice has assigned each federal circuit to a particular justice. (28 USC 42) Kennedy is the designated justice to hear such motions from the 9th circuit.

UPDATE: Kennedy has asked the Government to respond (!) (Pursuant to Rule 21)

aarontxwl
Apr 21, 2003

Lemonus posted:

Today the Log Cabin Republicans filed an application to the US Supreme Court via Anthony Kennedy to vacate the Stay imposed by the Federal Court.

.PDF of the Application:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/41230670/LCR-v-USA-Application-to-US-Supreme-Court-November-5th

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only four justices need to decide to hear a case. If it's sufficiently important (i.e. involves significant constitutional issues), they will hear the case. Since it's DADT, it's possible that the Court will approve certiorari.

However, they can (a) very easily deny cert, or (b) defer to Congress on military decisions (see Rostker v. Goldberg), and not have to decide whether DADT is a constitutionally valid policy.

Hope that helps.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Passed the NY bar. :toot:

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

joat mon posted:

It's a motion pursuant to SCOTUS Rule 22. The Chief Justice has assigned each federal circuit to a particular justice. (28 USC 42) Kennedy is the designated justice to hear such motions from the 9th circuit.

UPDATE: Kennedy has asked the Government to respond (!) (Pursuant to Rule 21)

Yep, and applications for stay or to dissolve stay are handled like this, and sometimes result in "in-chambers" opinions by individual justices. These opinions can, in some circumstances, be essentially dispositive of the case, such as in emergency elections matters or injunctive relief matters. There were only 3 in 2009:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/in-chambers.aspx?Term=09

and there haven't been any this year.

I was lucky enough to get one of these in-chambers opinions from Stevens in 2004, which makes me really, really cool.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
I like to think that the goon pass rate is 100% for bar exams.

Ersatz posted:

Passed the NY bar. :toot:

Any word on how the results got leaked a week early? PS Congrats

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

joat mon posted:

A clinic with an absence of casework? When legal aid organizations are turning people away? What do clinics do these days?

I know. It's like we're just wasting our time or something!

MFsteve
May 6, 2005
welcome to violence!
What's your guys' take on workers' comp. defense? I'm a Loyola grad from 2009 and I finished in the top third of my class. Even getting an interview has been pretty tough. I just interviewed with a mid-sized worker's comp. firm and they seemed really interested in me. I've never took a workers' comp. class before or know anybody that's in the field. From what I understand it's a lot of paperwork and not a lot of court experience, which doesn't sound that great since I really want to pursue litigation. Any insights or opinions?

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

MFsteve posted:

What's your guys' take on workers' comp. defense? I'm a Loyola grad from 2009 and I finished in the top third of my class. Even getting an interview has been pretty tough. I just interviewed with a mid-sized worker's comp. firm and they seemed really interested in me. I've never took a workers' comp. class before or know anybody that's in the field. From what I understand it's a lot of paperwork and not a lot of court experience, which doesn't sound that great since I really want to pursue litigation. Any insights or opinions?

Can you eat, and obtain current shelter by, your eventual goals of being a litigator?

If the answer is no, I don't see a dilemma here.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MFsteve posted:

Take it. Defending workers' comp claims will still teach you a lot of the paper skills that you need to learn as a young litigator, even though you won't learn how to run a trial or how to come up with complex defense strategies. It's better than nothing, and in a few years you could transfer to something else because you'll have actual legal experience under your belt.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

MFsteve posted:

If you want court experience, go in crim or in family. Otherwise, you're going to be doing paper law. Paper law's goddamn important though.

And then the judge will make loving horrible rulings and destroy all your faith in the law.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MFsteve posted:

Wanna start a lovely crim defense firm in norcal with me?

Only half kidding. I'm getting desperate here.

MFsteve
May 6, 2005
welcome to violence!

nm posted:

Sounds good to me. Do we get a holiday bonus?

Also, I forgot to mention that the work comp. firm requires 250 billed hours a month! How is that even possible??

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

MFsteve posted:

Also, I forgot to mention that the work comp. firm requires 250 billed hours a month! How is that even possible??

WHOA.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

nm posted:

wouldn't that be a step down for you? I thought you already had a job as a pd

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

MFsteve posted:

Do what everyone else does and make poo poo up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shang Yang posted:

wouldn't that be a step down for you? I thought you already had a job as a pd
County budgets suck

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nm posted:

County budgets suck

Wastin are tax dollars puttin criminals back on the street - you make me sick

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

MFsteve posted:

Shitlaw firm requires 3,000 hours a year and probably pays like 50k? This should be in the OP.

MFsteve
May 6, 2005
welcome to violence!

Adar posted:

Shitlaw firm requires 3,000 hours a year and probably pays like 50k? This should be in the OP.

It's actually 70K. Dunno if that makes a difference though...

Secret Asian Man
Jun 17, 2006

Cortina posted:

I passed.

Suddenly the world seems like a brighter, more lucrative place.

(I'm a girl. Just thought I'd clarify.)

will you be my gf

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Went to New England Webcomics Weekend today. Brought some bad comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wastin are tax dollars puttin criminals back on the street - you make me sick
DA got cut too.
gently caress this gay earth.

Actually, I may have a job, I just don't know yet and that is driving me insane.