Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boliver_Shagnasty
Jan 27, 2010

A Honey Badger doesn't kill you to eat you, it tears off... your testicles.

I've been listening to a lot of traditional music from Quebec lately. Groups like Le Vent Du Nord and Genticorum are my two favorites right now; however, I really don't want to get sick of them. So, can anyone suggest either any other Quebecois bands or could anyone suggest any bands from a similar genre? There are a lot of songs on youtube by both groups for reference.

Also, my friends and I have an unofficial acapella group that we're working on. If anyone could recommend some good songs for us to do it would be greatly appreciated. We're four people, two guys and two girls, but we can make adjustments if the music needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006
Cant help with the traditional quebec music but i've always wanted to hear a cover of the Where in the World is Carmen San Diegeo ending theme.

Here's a video for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdzyuJJZMCI

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Boliver_Shagnasty posted:

I've been listening to a lot of traditional music from Quebec lately. Groups like Le Vent Du Nord and Genticorum are my two favorites right now; however, I really don't want to get sick of them. So, can anyone suggest either any other Quebecois bands or could anyone suggest any bands from a similar genre? There are a lot of songs on youtube by both groups for reference.

Also, my friends and I have an unofficial acapella group that we're working on. If anyone could recommend some good songs for us to do it would be greatly appreciated. We're four people, two guys and two girls, but we can make adjustments if the music needs it.

My knowledge of Quebecois music begins and ends with this band, but you almost definitely want to check out Harmonium if you haven't already. Really beautiful melodic folk-prog.

I'm in the need of Christmas music that neither my girlfriend nor I will hate. My family's Catholic, so I was raised on the choral stuff, but that's all too stodgy and solemn for my girlfriend, who grew up with pop Christmas music, and I'd rather fellate a shotgun than hear Hanson's Christmas album again. Our tastes kinda meet midway around the folky stuff, and I've already got the Jethro Tull and Sufjan Stevens Christmas albums.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 8, 2010

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Judas Priest Friday posted:

I've been a long time fan of synthpop and a wide variety of music from the 80s, but yesterday a friend introduced me to the track "Another Life" by Kano. I loved the hell out of it, but I have no idea where to get started with getting into/finding more good Italo-Disco stuff. Recommendations?

http://www.robotdj.net/

Check out the mixes by Flemming Dalum particularly.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I'm loving synth/new wave from the 80's right now, I got some "Best Of's" of The Human League, Simple Minds and Tears For Fears, what are some others that are essential?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
There's a ton—I'm just going to quickly rattle off a list of albums. If you want good compilations, someone else will have to help you with that.

Synthpoppy:
Ultravox - Vienna
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Dazzle Ships
New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies
Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle
Sparks - No. 1 in Heaven
Soft Cell - Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret
Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's

New Wavey:
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Japan - Tin Drum
King Crimson - Absent Lovers (live)
The Fixx - Reach the Beach
Oingo Boingo - Only a Lad

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
It doesn't have to be compilations. But that looks like a solid list and will have me busy for a while. Thanks!

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Any worthwhile UK Garage comps?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Iraff posted:

Any worthwhile UK Garage comps?

This thing called "100 Garage Classics" is pretty sweet.

Or just rewind this over and over again http://relay.exequo.org/rinsefm/podcast/ToddEdwards051110.mp3

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I don't know how one could go about classifying Totakeke. All I know is that I'd be happy with nothing but glitchy, spacey, minimalist industrial madness on my iPod. Does Frank Mokros have any peers doing the same sort of amazing electronic ear sex?

I've started listening to Access to Araska as well, but that's mostly just cosmic glitch electronica without the industrial elements.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

screaden posted:

So I'm loving synth/new wave from the 80's right now, I got some "Best Of's" of The Human League, Simple Minds and Tears For Fears, what are some others that are essential?
Duran Duran - Rio
Depeche Mode - Violator
Pet Shop Boys - Actually

You can't define 80's music without those three bands in my opinion.

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
Not so much asking for a recommendation, but what cd is Underworld's Ring Road on?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

Not so much asking for a recommendation, but what cd is Underworld's Ring Road on?

Oblivion with Bells

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_Road_%28song%29

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I want some more music like Rise Against, I like all their albums so anything is fine.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Double Happiness posted:

Really into Alexisonfire at the moment and want to listen to some similar stuff, any suggestions?

Definitely check out He Is Legend - my favorite band ever.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I want some more music like Rise Against, I like all their albums so anything is fine.

Strike Anywhere, A Wilhelm Scream, Strung Out, Anti-Flag...

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I really love Friendly Fires. Any similar bands?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I'd like to delve further into noise or noise rock/pop. Any recs for cornerstones of the genres?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

big business sloth posted:

I'd like to delve further into noise or noise rock/pop. Any recs for cornerstones of the genres?

All you need to know http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCtPz-guwO8

several wet dogs
Jan 4, 2009

I'm going to Europe in the near future and am currently obsessing over my itinerary. We're doing France, Italy, Greece, and considering stretching out to Spain and Turkey (not Europe, but hey). Any suggestions for suitable music to fuel my research? :)

I listen to a lot of Animal Collective, Björk, CocoRosie, Sun Ra and Ratatat if that helps!

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Aw come one you got to give me more leeway than that, het.

Haplo26
Nov 16, 2007
Abberach
Okay, House music.

Probably a very broad subject. I was at a club in Chicago the other night and I heard a sweet House groove which had a crazy rear end sax solo going on top of it. Can anyone recommend me anything similar to that? I don't know the exact DJ spinning or anything so I am worthless giving any real examples, but I'd appreciate any help!

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

The Dead C
Skullflower
Big Black
Shellac
The Jesus Lizard
Shorty
Nurse With Wound
Whitehouse
Hanatarash

and my favorite band, Harry Pussy.

Look into groups that were on Skin Graft and Siltbreeze and you'll surely find something you like.

qrj fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 15, 2010

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

several wet dogs posted:

Spain
A band called Aias recently put out A la Piscina, a catchy shoegazey pop thing sung entirely in Catalan (Quan Tornis Demà).

For France, maybe something like Garcons' album Divorce (French Boy). Before that album they were the much more garagey Marie et les Garcons (and produced by John Cale) if that's more up your alley (Re-Bop Attitudes).

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Haplo26 posted:

Okay, House music.

Probably a very broad subject. I was at a club in Chicago the other night and I heard a sweet House groove which had a crazy rear end sax solo going on top of it. Can anyone recommend me anything similar to that? I don't know the exact DJ spinning or anything so I am worthless giving any real examples, but I'd appreciate any help!

Maybe some Deep House like Miguel Migs?

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

qrj posted:

The Dead C
Skullflower
Big Black
Shellac
The Jesus Lizard
Shorty
Nurse With Wound
Whitehouse
Hanatarash

and my favorite band, Harry Pussy.

Look into groups that were on Skin Graft and Slitbreeze and you'll surely find something you like.

You forgot Scratch Acid, Butthole Surfers, and the Touch and Go record label

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006

KevinHeaven posted:

and Acid Mothers Temple, Arab on Radar, Sunburned hand of the Man, H.N.A.S. and all that stuff they do, anything caroliner related might be cool like faxed head

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

KevinHeaven posted:

Touch and Go is an awesome label, but dude/lady(?) was interested in noise, can't think of a better place to go than Skin Graft and Siltbreeze. Those labels almost exclusively release experimental/noise related music. Touch and Go is a bit more all over the place, but by all means an incredible label.

I'll second Scratch Acid, great band and Butthole Surfers, well, just stick with the early stuff or maybe just with Locust Abortion Technician. The later stuff isn't worth it, not to mention that the Butthole Surfers are assholes.

Anyway, to add more to the list:

The Shadow Ring
Ruins
Lightning Bolt
Swans

It's a pretty broad area of music with it's roots in punk rock. Some people would simply call Scratch Acid, or Big Black punk bands, which they are, but somewhere along the road, someone decided to call it noise rock, because it wasn't exactly hardcore, and wasn't snotty-mohawk-leather-jacket punk.

EDIT: Spelling

qrj fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 15, 2010

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I have some BHS from electriclarryland backwards already, never delved into Jesus Lizard/Big Black too far but guess I will now. Lately I've been on pop/twee sort of J&MC inspired stuff like the pastels and black tambourine etc. as well as of course sonic youth. Great recs though guys, liking Shellac and Swans.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 15, 2010

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?
I would like to recommend that everyone check out Earl Greyhound. Their latest album Suspicious Package sounds like a classic power trio album. It goes down especially well with various :2bong:!

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

noise pop:

Velocity Girl (they can get really really corny lyrically, like waaay too twee, but the music is good)
Henry's Dress
Tiger Trap
early My Bloody Valentine
The Swirlies
Jane From Occupied Europe (I absolutely cannot recommend this band enough)
Spacemen 3

noise rock (that haven't been mentioned yet):
Ramleh (their 90s and later output though)
Bodychoke
Tad
Mule
Live Skull
Happy Flowers (Sonic Youth covered them a few times)
Kilslug
Upsidedown Cross
Laughing Hyenas (the singer from Negative Approach is in this band, so if you dig NA I'd give them a try, a lot slower though)
Unsane
The Cows
Unwound's first couple albums

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

qrj posted:

Slitbreeze, Slitbreeze

SILT, please.

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

inktvis posted:

SILT, please.
Good call.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Some stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet but probably should:

Royal Trux, Half Japanese, Chrome, Six Finger Satellite, Hammerhead, Halo Of Flies, Heroine Sheiks

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 15, 2010

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters
Most of the better bands have already been mentioned but you should check out Amphetamine Reptile too. God Bullies, King Snake Roost, Tar.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

sixteenstraws posted:

Tar

Yep. Also whoever mentioned Jane from Occupied Europe, pretty neat, thanks.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Boredoms, Melt Banana, Acid Mothers Temple, Dalek (noise hip hop? yes)

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 16, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
What are the best recordings/interpretations of Sergei Prokofiev and Sergei Rachmaninoff's works?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

What are some good Dub comps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
Looking for modern stuff similar to poo poo like this, mainly just because I'd love to see these styles of Jazz played live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66MJ-KOFBFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvG55K0kKbA