Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lone Rogue posted:

Are you kidding me? If he kept it all haunted and poo poo and never admitted to it, and the ghost tossed up a PayPal? You bet someone is going to throw him a dime.

Not everyone is so clever. If you're dumb enough to buy into your own made-up horror story, chances are you won't have the mental acuity to think up such a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endorph posted:

"Oh hey, these videos are kind of clever. I mean, you sort of blew it near the end but"
"I AM A GENIUS OF HORROR! TIME TO MAKE MY OWN GAME!"

You're forgetting the horde of idiots who begged him to come back.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I don't know the whole situation, but I can't really blame the guy. I mean, he makes this neat little creepy story with accompanied videos, and then people start flipping the poo poo and going "THIS IS THE GREATEST THING PLEASE MAKE MORE", wouldn't you take advantage of that if it meant free publicity?

I mean, yeah, it does pretty much ruin the story for everyone else, as the biggest contributor to the mystery of ARGs is the uncertainty around it. But even that whole Marble Hornets thing got a shitload of attention, and I'm not sure if they've even ended it yet.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Dude wrote a stupid story, threw a half-assed rom-hack together, and now people are paying him for it..

You guys are jealous. Hell, I'm jealous. I want to come up with some retarded scheme to walk morons out of their :10bux: without having to do jack poo poo for it. It's like the American-Fuckin-Dream, man! :patriot:

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 5, 2010

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Lucidphoole posted:

But then he couldn't have requested donations. It's not cheap running an ARG through youtube.

Where is the expense? It's not like YouTube charges you to upload videos, and he clearly already has what is needed to make videos.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Jibo posted:

Where is the expense? It's not like YouTube charges you to upload videos, and he clearly already has what is needed to make videos.

That's the point.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Jibo posted:

Time, mostly. The time he spends hacking Majora's Mask is time he can't spend working.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Lone Rogue posted:

Are you kidding me? If he kept it all haunted and poo poo and never admitted to it, and the ghost tossed up a PayPal? You bet someone is going to throw him a dime.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
There was a good hoax in metal gear solid on the playstation. Apparently if you beat Vulcan Raven the second time you fight him using only the Punch-and-kick and the SOCOM you get his minigun for the rest of the game. Now it's not that useful by itself because there's no ammo for it but if you complete the game and get the bandanna it's basically there to make your second playthrough better :smug:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it's probably the effects being very sleep deprived and sick but those ben drowned videos and the text freak me out big time. I started watching the first video and the first shock cut to the happy mask man with the skull kid laugh I turned the poo poo off. Reading text about it under spoiler tags is scary because the spoiler tags are scary for some reason. Seeing a picture of that link statue freaks me out now.

Brolita
Mar 23, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

I think it's probably the effects being very sleep deprived and sick but those ben drowned videos and the text freak me out big time. I started watching the first video and the first shock cut to the happy mask man with the skull kid laugh I turned the poo poo off. Reading text about it under spoiler tags is scary because the spoiler tags are scary for some reason. Seeing a picture of that link statue freaks me out now.

BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
you shouldn't have done that.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Brolita posted:

BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA

GodDAMMIT.

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

Admittedly, the Link statue is kinda creepy on its own just in-game. I hated using that drat thing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

:cry: And I thought I was going to get some sleep tonight!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Why does it even look like that anyway?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

cobalt impurity posted:

Why does it even look like that anyway?

Because it's meant to resemble Link's inner psyche. Underneath his boyish exterior is someone who was forced to become a man too fast. By traveling through time and having the burden of saving the world thrust upon his shoulder's he was forced to face the fact that he was no longer a child and had grown up.
But even after he saved the world he was reverted back to that of a child, still holding the mentality of his adult self, a messiah. The statue's unsettling appearance is intended to look fake, to tell us that Link's body is a fake. He is not a child but a man.
It reflects the horror that Link faces. He feels the limitations of his now again child body and cries out for the strength, endurance and agility that only physical maturity can grant. That is why the face horrifies us. It's not the statue's actual face that brings us terror, it's that it is transplanting the very same emotion Link feels every time he looks in the mirror.
In addition to that he feels fake because he has to continuously put up a facade of a normal child. In Hyrule he saved the world in the future, so in the past no one recognizes his amazing feat. Think of Clark Kent whenever he saves the world, he must return to his mundane life as an office worker, and everyone remains blissfully unaware that this is the man that allows them to be here today.
In Termina Link saves the world and people many times over, but every 3 days he must reset things, and have them experience the pain all over again. He can't save everything, there's just not enough time in those 72 hours to do it. So he must watch in horror as these people continuously ride towards their path of destruction, and even he warned them, so what? They'll just do it again the next time he plays his Ocarina. Again the horror and anguish this must bring him is reflected in the statue's face. The face isn't what's important, it's the unsettling feeling of it's artificial appearance that actually bothers us and causes us to cringe.

Alternatively: Japan.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Alternatively: Japan.

Because you create them with the Elegy of Emptiness, which basically makes a soulless wooden copy of you, because we all know that soulless things are nightmarish.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Still, that drat thing was creepy when I beat MM ten years ago.

It just base jumps into the uncanny valley, I think.

WilliamLongfellow
Oct 28, 2010

Fractally long
I thought the Pokémon myths died long ago, but one of my friends still thinks you can get Pikablu some way or another. I don't remember his particular myth, but when I was a kid it had to do with beating the Elite Four 999 times and entering some dungeon in Cinnabar.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Something I thought was an urban legend for the longest time: has anyone beaten TMNT for the NES without cheating?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Capsaicin posted:

Something I thought was an urban legend for the longest time: has anyone beaten TMNT for the NES without cheating?

Man, at least most of the other poo poo in this thread SOUNDS plausible.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I still hold that nobody on the planet has beaten the original Battletoads, and anyone who has is lying and used either a Game Genie or an emulator with savestates.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Capsaicin posted:

I saw it happen once. The Freelance Astronauts did it.

However, the game did almost win; one of them started choking and had to get taken to the hospital on the night. So the actual finale was done at another time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I think the elegy statue is a caricature of one of the game's developers actually.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

CraigK posted:

I still hold that nobody on the planet has beaten the original Battletoads, and anyone who has is lying and used either a Game Genie or an emulator with savestates.

that has been done before as well. Freelance Astronauts did it, I believe.

Deffon
Mar 28, 2010

CraigK posted:

I have :smug: .
I used a keyboard on an emulator though.
If that makes it easier or harder, I don't know. But most importantly, I didn't use any savestates.

Check these guys out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBr-0H8MJS4

They beat Battletoads 2-player mode, without warps, without using continues, on a real console.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010
Pokemon: Nintendo tricks their own users.

Way back then when the N64 was new, Nintendo website was pure white background with Diddy Kong somewhere on the page and about 4 box-links on the left and right of the homepage.

Nintendo stated that Luigi and Yoshi where in the Pokemon games. Yoshi I remember more that they stated that it would require a Dratini. Luigi had more Mario based attacks. Coins, and pipes and such but for the life of me I can't find it at all. I seen it though I saw it once and I know it was real and only on the Nintendo website.

Tossmonaut
Oct 3, 2010

by T. Finn

Deffon posted:

They beat Battletoads 2-player mode, without warps, without using continues, on a real console.

Must not be the American version since level 11 is impossible on it.

Diabetus also did an LP of the game here:

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Battletoads/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

CraigK posted:

Still, that drat thing was creepy when I beat MM ten years ago.

It just base jumps into the uncanny valley, I think.

That's not what the uncanny valley is.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Deffon posted:

Check these guys out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBr-0H8MJS4

How do you live after that?

There's no point in continuing life after such an achievement.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Lone Rogue posted:

How do you live after that?

There's no point in continuing life after such an achievement.

You try to do it faster.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

21stCentury posted:

You try to do it faster.

I just feel like people who can accomplish such a thing should be paid to do something important.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Lone Rogue posted:

I just feel like people who can accomplish such a thing should be paid to do something important.

I don't think you have the most realistic vision. What kind of "important thing" can someone who beat Battletoads do that someone who hasn't cannot do?

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Tossmonaut posted:

It wasn't impossible, just a large amount of the times player two would glitch out and have to lose all their lives.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

21stCentury posted:

I don't think you have the most realistic vision. What kind of "important thing" can someone who beat Battletoads do that someone who hasn't cannot do?

Hey whats a joke?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hey whats a joke?

It's a funny quote from a popular movie.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Oh my b.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Tossmonaut posted:

If you check the comments on part 5, one of the players confirms that they were playing the PAL version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

Sandata posted:

Pokemon: Nintendo tricks their own users.

Way back then when the N64 was new, Nintendo website was pure white background with Diddy Kong somewhere on the page and about 4 box-links on the left and right of the homepage.

Nintendo stated that Luigi and Yoshi where in the Pokemon games. Yoshi I remember more that they stated that it would require a Dratini. Luigi had more Mario based attacks. Coins, and pipes and such but for the life of me I can't find it at all. I seen it though I saw it once and I know it was real and only on the Nintendo website.

This sounds like either you stumbled upon a Geocities site, or you just made this up.