Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Dominion posted:

Yeah, with CCRG the only real distinctions are Can Practice, Can Scrimmage, and Can Bout, and people were getting confused about what the functional difference was between a white star and a yellow star.

I'd never heard of the color thing until it was mentioned in this thread. My league pretty much goes by the above. In other news, I thought I wasn't going to be able to go to nationals because of transportation issues, but one of my teammates was saying how she was having trouble finding people to drive with her to Chicago and long story short, I'm totally going to Chicago now. :D I am so incredibly excited and with any luck will be getting new skates also!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Looks like after over a year of waiting I'm finally getting to go to a derby game. Season finale, naturally so it'll be months before I get to go again :gonk:

For next season, are suicide seats recommended? Is there any benefit other than "might get landed on"?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

oldskool posted:

Looks like after over a year of waiting I'm finally getting to go to a derby game. Season finale, naturally so it'll be months before I get to go again :gonk:

For next season, are suicide seats recommended? Is there any benefit other than "might get landed on"?

I happen to like watching the game from ground level rather than up in seats. Also, CCRG plays in an indoor soccer arena, so there's nets up that piss me off to watch through from the stands.

I don't usually sit in the suicide seating, though, because I usually stand right behind them. I get too antsy when I sit.

The benefit is being right up close. It's "the front row".

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Suicide seating allows you to see way more. I wouldn't want to sit in rows during flat track especially... you can see what is going on much better when you're right there.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
This is a really good article that talks about how western style strategy has moved east. I have noticed a lot more still packs and skating backwards in recent tournaments. As a ref it gets to be a little difficult to watch for penalties when you've got a group of 4 or 5 skaters in a tight pack on their toe stops duking it out in close quarters. When I'm jam reffing I tend to rely a lot on the OPR during this time. How do the other refs in here deal with it?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I really, really hate stopped packs and clockwise skating. I know it's legal, and I know it's sometimes good strategy, but to me it feels like it's not in the spirit of roller derby and it sort of breaks the game flow for a lot of spectators because it's counter-intuitive and they don't really get it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Dominion posted:

I really, really hate stopped packs and clockwise skating. I know it's legal, and I know it's sometimes good strategy, but to me it feels like it's not in the spirit of roller derby and it sort of breaks the game flow for a lot of spectators because it's counter-intuitive and they don't really get it.

I agree with this 100%. The perfect analogy for this is what Hurt Reynolds of DNN said on an episode of the Derby Deeds podcast, which I'll paraphrase:

Hurt Reynolds posted:

In baseball, baserunners have to stay in the baselines for a reason. Imagine if the rules were setup so baserunners could run all around the field in an attempt to avoid getting tagged while running between the bases. There would certainly be strategy involved in doing this, but is that really how baseball is supposed to be played? Same thing with roller derby. Stopping and skating backwards on the track creates creates or is created by certain strategies, but is that necessarily how derby is supposed to be played?

From a historical standpoint, skating backwards in roller derby has always been illegal. Stopping is only allowed when you go too far forward in front of the pack and wait for it to catch back up (because the pack always moving forward). I never completely understood why doing derby on a flat track somehow made it okay to deviate from this.

I also don't see why it isn't considered dangerous from a saftey standpoint. If you have a fast jammer breaking from the pack at the same time a high blocker is skating backwards toward it, there could be a potential for a collision. Same thing with skaters skating backwards from the penalty box, where they could hit a ref or a skater getting flung out of bounds.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It also creates more stuff for the already overwhelmed ref crew to pay attention to, since now they have to watch for clockwise blocks and such.

Which brings me to another point about the state of the sport: It's outgrowing its refs. There's been too many rules added and changed too fast, and the sport is so fast and technical now that you almost need 1 ref per skater just to keep track of everything. It's also hard to find good refs in the best of times, and one bad ref ruins the whole thing and gives the crew a reputation for shittiness.

CCRG has some really great refs, but they get booed at every single bout because of one or two of them being really terrible and making egregiously bad calls. I guess I may be biased because I'm pretty sure CCRG is the most penalized team in the nation right now.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Dominion posted:

CCRG has some really great refs, but they get booed at every single bout because of one or two of them being really terrible and making egregiously bad calls. I guess I may be biased because I'm pretty sure CCRG is the most penalized team in the nation right now.

Assuming you're talking WFTDA, get them certified and make it a point to use a certain number of certified refs at a certain threshold. We have a ref training program that forces fresh meat zebras to shadow and participate for about a year before they see bout time, and then they start at B or C level bouts. That's about the only suggestion I could make.

The skaters themselves vote on rule changes. I might have heard this wrong, but the 5/26/10 ruleset will be the last major release for at least a year (other than clarifications). So blame them for the change or inaction on rules.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Aericina posted:

Assuming you're talking WFTDA, get them certified and make it a point to use a certain number of certified refs at a certain threshold. We have a ref training program that forces fresh meat zebras to shadow and participate for about a year before they see bout time, and then they start at B or C level bouts. That's about the only suggestion I could make.

The skaters themselves vote on rule changes. I might have heard this wrong, but the 5/26/10 ruleset will be the last major release for at least a year (other than clarifications). So blame them for the change or inaction on rules.

Oh yeah I don't blame the refs for making the rules too complicated. They're just the ones that get screwed by it because reffing gets harder and harder with stuff like pack stopping and clockwise skating and jammers getting cute and trying to jump the apex.

I know our refs are certified, but I really have no idea what levels or how many or such.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

yeah, i have no idea either

Dominion posted:

I cannot agree with this enough, but WFTDA's going to do what WFTDA's going to do. Blah.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
You know what else I hate? No pack starts on the first whistle and dancing on the line. Combine both into this video and it makes me seethe a little.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Aericina posted:

You know what else I hate? No pack starts on the first whistle and dancing on the line. Combine both into this video and it makes me seethe a little.

I agree, but I have facts to support the argument. Let's dig out the rulebook.

quote:

4.1.2 - When two or more groups of Blockers equal in number are on the track; are more than 10 feet from one another; and no single group meets the pack definition, no pack can be defined. Skaters will be issued a penalty for intentionally creating a no pack situation i.e. destroying the pack (see Section 6.10.2). Both teams are responsible for maintaining a legally defined pack. A skater or group of skaters is always responsible for the consequences of their actions. If their actions create a no pack situation (except those covered in Section 6.10.2.3), they should be penalized as directed in Sections 6.10.9–6.10.24.

You know those situations where blockers take a knee at the start line to force a no-pack and start the jammers right away? It's clearly a penalty, and it's not being called. Plus, I'm pretty sure the rules contradict what slow-play teams are doing, if not the rules themselves:

quote:

4.3.3 - Blockers who are out of play must slow or speed up to re-enter the Engagement Zone.

4.3.3.2 - A skater who is out of play must re-enter the Engagement Zone in the opposite way she left.

4.3.3.2.1 - If the player sprinted forward of the Engagement Zone, she must drop back to be considered in play.

That's rule 4.3, Jam Positioning. The major point of this rule is that if a blocker goes too far forward, they should slow to re-enter the pack. There's no provision for backwards/clockwise/counterflow skating in this rule, or anywhere in rule 4, yet it seems as if skaters (and refs) are taking "drop back" to mean "skate back," especially when you consider this the blocking rules...

quote:

5.1.1 - Blocking is any movement on the track designed to knock the opponent down or out of bounds or to impede the opponent’s speed or movement through the pack. Blocking includes counter-blocking. Blocking need not include contact.

5.1.1.3 - Only players who are stepping and/or skating in the counter-clockwise direction may execute a block. It is illegal to block while at a standstill and while moving in the clockwise direction—this includes positional blocking.

By creating stop-walls on a goated blocker, teams are committing a penalty per rule 5.1.1.3, are they not? They don't need to contact them, just the fact that they're impeding the progress of the player behind is the definition of "blocking" by the WFTDA's own rules. Besides, if the wall didn't move, wouldn't any contact by the player being blocked behind the wall be a back block on them? Either way, it sets up too many situations where penalties should be called, according to the rules, but they never do.

If you want to simplify things about this rule and also kill two birds with one stone, all the WFTDA needs to do is require skaters remain skating forwards (counter-clockwise) at all times. This will force blockers to move forward off the pivot line (since remaining still is not skating forwards) and make stop-blocks illegal (as they are already should be in the current rules) because you need to be moving forward at all times. Refs should also be given discretion to instruct the pack to have stopping/slower players return to "forward skating speed" if someone tries to hold back the pack.

I know rules 6.9.3 and 6.9.4 directly permits general skating and clockwise skating, but the rules I referenced above seem to either conflict with the wording there or aggrevate general skater movement with what they're allowed to do while blocking. Can I get a comment from the refs about the rules I pointed out, or am I missing something? (Or are you missing something?)

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 22, 2010

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
I don't have all the information or the time right at this moment to explain each rule you pointed out, however it's been explained to me by several rule Nazis and I think some discussion from zebrahuddle.com that at the start of the jam, there is no pack, so you cannot destroy what doesn't exist. That's why there are no penalties for intentionally destroying the pack by taking a knee, not skating at the start of the whistle, etc. But, when there is no pack called at the start of the jam, you must form a pack, otherwise you are subject to penalties.

The taking a knee thing is very dangerous because if you've got part of the group moving forward and you don't get your knee down in time before "no pack!" you can get sent to the box for intentionally creating a no pack. Once the knee takers successfully take a knee and no pack is called, the jammers can go but the knee takers must stand and get a pack together. The point being, you have to do this strategy before the no pack signal is called, or you will get penalized for doing what the strategy is for: getting your jammer through everyone while there is confusion for no pack.

Aericina fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 26, 2010

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Aericina posted:

Sucks. Then again, the NBA was pretty boring before they started using a shot clock. Rules change, especially when the fans/skaters make enough of a stink about it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

scribe jones posted:

Sucks. Then again, the NBA was pretty boring before they started using a shot clock. Rules change, especially when the fans/skaters make enough of a stink about it.

There's already sort of a shot clock in that there's a jam clock.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Dominion posted:

There's already sort of a shot clock in that there's a jam clock.

You know what I meant okay!!

Anyway I am a Rose City fan so I am basically still suicidal over regionals. gently caress bay area, forever.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I updated the first post with the new WFTDA regional rankings. Championships are this weekend, people!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WindyMan posted:

I updated the first post with the new WFTDA regional rankings. Championships are this weekend, people!

I will be there! I would wager that Charm City will beat Minnesota on Friday and then get stomped into the dirt by Rocky Mountain on Saturday.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

WindyMan posted:

It is a great day for me to sign up to work a bout in New Jersey. (Dammit!)

2chibi
Jun 11, 2003

I will most certainly not move. This place is MINE.

Vintage Vixen posted:

Thanks for mentioning the Arizona Derby Dames in the OP under the banked track section. We just completed our first season of banked track to much bigger, louder crowds that we had when we were flat track for four seasons prior. We're also the hosts of Battle on the Bank IV tournament in 2011. It will be held at Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum (our usual venue) in Phoenix June 10 - 12th.

Vixen, you guys were awesome at BoTB! I was lucky enough to get to fly down and watch in person, and am really hoping for the chance to skate next year. I skate with Tilted Thunder Rail Birds. We JUST finished our track and skated on it for the first time TODAY. Our first banked bout is Dec 4th!

Go Seattle Banked Track!

Any derby fans in the Seattle/Eastside/Everett area should come check us out! We'll be at Comcast Arena!

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Ria posted:

It is a great day for me to sign up to work a bout in New Jersey. (Dammit!)

I just wanted to say, that after that game I'm kinda glad I went. 143 to 141 was the final score. It was messy, but fantastically exciting. :D

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I don't know about that, there were a ton of great games Friday and Saturday. Gotham/Rocky was probably one of the best games of flat-track derby I've seen in a while. It was very physical, very fast, and Rocky is starting to show how much they want it all in a very convincing win. That game totally wrecked my bracket, though.

It's going to be rematch central for the last two games, Philly vs Gotham for 3rd place at 3pm ET, and Rocky vs Oly for 1st at 5pm ET. So sad it's going to be over so soon.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
Just wanted to pop in and say that I attended my first roller derby tonight, and it was loving awesome. There's a newly-formed men's league in my town and I'm signing up as soon as humanly possible. The cost of the equipment is insane, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

To chime in on the previous argument (I didn't read the whole thing, so I may be repeating some things, just my two cents):
The fact that they use crazy names and just generally go wild with the roller derby personality is awesome, as far as I'm concerned. I was actually really surprised at some of the names (Gansta Barbie Bitch, Anita Hardone, Philabitch, Gitmo Bitch, Grizzly Madams, Roll It Up, Ruby Typoon. . .) but I think the fact that they do that is just balls-to-the-wall awesome. I really like that concept, and agree with the idea that 'sanitizing' it would be a really big disappointment.

Anyone currently in a league and have any advice? I'm pretty new to skating in general, I'm just picking up a beginner's package and hoping to start practicing hardcore on my own to get better. Any trustworthy (and preferably super cheap) site recommendations would also be great.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
Practice. Practice practice practice. Skate everywhere you possibly can. It's a lot tougher during the winter, sure, but that's the absolute key. If you can get private instruction from someone, that'd work well.

And by god, be safe. Always wear gear, learn all your falling and that before you get too carried away. I tore my groin in my second ever ref practice, and it's been over a year and it's still bugging me.

As for today: Amazing end to the Nationals, eh? What a game.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Redfont posted:

Anyone currently in a league and have any advice? I'm pretty new to skating in general, I'm just picking up a beginner's package and hoping to start practicing hardcore on my own to get better. Any trustworthy (and preferably super cheap) site recommendations would also be great.

Watch these series of videos on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzFudCTwaGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78CsjXhsrY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPlRsFw0XTQ

You can get an idea of where to go from there.

For gear, I buy a lot of my stuff from Sin City Skates and occasionally from Wicked Skatewear.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

Redfont posted:

This could just be me, but in terms of equipment, I think it's worth spending a little extra money on good quality knee pads. I've always used the 187's and I think they're great. They are a little bit big and clunky though and I know I've seen people get smaller knee pads but I'm not sure what kind they are. If you ask around amongst the other skaters, you may find people selling used gear which tends to be much cheaper and might be good for starting out.

I just got back from Chicago and I am so glad I went! Seeing those girls play live was absolutely amazing. I'll admit I was hoping Gotham would win it though. Usually I'm all for the underdog teams or teams that haven't won the championship yet, but I think I can partially blame the bias on being a part of a NY league. Plus the Gotham girls are so nice! :3: It was a little sad seeing Suzy Hotrod play for Gotham for the last time and I wish I could have gotten to see Beyonslay play too.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

WindyMan posted:

I don't know about that, there were a ton of great games Friday and Saturday.

Oh, I'm not saying that I would've rather been there than watching them, but it wasn't as bad, comparatively, as I thought it would be.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
Thanks for those links. I'm kind of stuck at that point where you know the basics but aren't actually good. But anyway, I'm hoping to fix that all pretty soon.

I found This deal from a quick google. Seems pretty cheap, I was a little wary about the site at first but after looking up some reviews on it, the only complaints were that the shipping took a while sometimes.

Anyway, it's the silver package (because I figure I might as well go a little higher than the bronze package or I'll just have to replace the stuff later), and it comes with:
Includes:
Riedell R3 Quad Speed Skates
Triple-Eight KP-PRO Knee Pads
187 Fly Elbow Pads
Triple-Eight Wristsavers
Triple Eight Helmet
Shock Dr Gel Max Mouthguard
Reflex Utilitool
Toesavers
Bones Speed Cream

for $250. I was wondering if anyone knew enough about any of these products to give their thoughts on it. It doesn't seem like a bad deal to me, but I'm not really sure how much this stuff usually costs. After a little checking around it seems like buying stuff separately would cost me more, and I definitely don't want to go past $250 when I'm first starting. Also I assume I'm going to need to buy some outside wheels so that I can practice at home. Is there any real big significant advantage to buying an expensive set versus a cheap one to start with?

Also after scorpiobean's 187 recommendation, I find it funny but slightly strange that there is only one 187 pad in this pack while the rest are triple-eights. What do you think, scorpiobean, triple-eights any good?

EDIT: Found some reviews for the skates, they look to be a pretty good pair for just starting out, plan on doing some more research regarding the pads and stuff later on. Personal preference input is always helpful though.

Redfont fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 8, 2010

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I don't know enough to help you with equipment Redfont, but I'm sure one of the girls will hit ya back shortly.

As for this weekend: What an exciting tournament, albeit I was stuck in Nashvegas, Nashville kept it close-ish to Oly in the first half but drat if Oly didn't catapult ahead in the second half.

Anyone else watch the live streams? Any comments on that?

Personally I was really hoping for a stream with a lot less streaming/buffering issues especially with how low the quality of the stream was. And the announcing? I had to mute it after a half, I don't know if it was a combination of the stream quality + voices + mics or what but I couldn't take it anymore.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

Redfont posted:

Thanks for those links. I'm kind of stuck at that point where you know the basics but aren't actually good. But anyway, I'm hoping to fix that all pretty soon.

I found This deal from a quick google. Seems pretty cheap, I was a little wary about the site at first but after looking up some reviews on it, the only complaints were that the shipping took a while sometimes.

Anyway, it's the silver package (because I figure I might as well go a little higher than the bronze package or I'll just have to replace the stuff later), and it comes with:
Includes:
Riedell R3 Quad Speed Skates
Triple-Eight KP-PRO Knee Pads
187 Fly Elbow Pads
Triple-Eight Wristsavers
Triple Eight Helmet
Shock Dr Gel Max Mouthguard
Reflex Utilitool
Toesavers
Bones Speed Cream

for $250. I was wondering if anyone knew enough about any of these products to give their thoughts on it. It doesn't seem like a bad deal to me, but I'm not really sure how much this stuff usually costs. After a little checking around it seems like buying stuff separately would cost me more, and I definitely don't want to go past $250 when I'm first starting. Also I assume I'm going to need to buy some outside wheels so that I can practice at home. Is there any real big significant advantage to buying an expensive set versus a cheap one to start with?

Also after scorpiobean's 187 recommendation, I find it funny but slightly strange that there is only one 187 pad in this pack while the rest are triple-eights. What do you think, scorpiobean, triple-eights any good?

EDIT: Found some reviews for the skates, they look to be a pretty good pair for just starting out, plan on doing some more research regarding the pads and stuff later on. Personal preference input is always helpful though.

Ah you sort of beat me to it. I'll preface this all by saying that I don't think I'm an expert on equipment so if somebody knows more about this kind of thing, they should definitely chime in! Anyway, for a starter package, everything you're getting is good for a rookie and it is a pretty good deal.

The R3's are great starter skates. The first pair of skates I bought were R3's and I used them for two seasons (and I just finally got new skates this weekend!). If you are going to be playing derby though and you know you're going to stick with it, I'd recommend upgrading after a season as the nylon plates on the R3s are eventually going to limit you in terms of maneuverability (and I've actually seen em break before during a bout). Also, after two seasons on my R3s, they've seriously stretched and my feet are swimming in them. You definitely want your skates tight. For now though, R3s'll be just the right thing. As soon as you get them however, you're going to want to get new wheels and bearings because the stock wheels are crap (assuming they come with the same kind that came with mine). There's a huge variety of wheels to choose from so that might have to be a separate discussion, but as for bearings, I've always used the China Reds which are decent but not as expensive as say the Swiss Reds.

As for the padding, the 187s are higher quality but they're also more expensive, which is probably why most of the padding in the package are Triple 8s but that should still be good. I've never used Triple 8s myself, but a lot of my teammates use Triple 8s and seem to like them pretty well. If you look at the pads on SinCitySkates, they rank them by what they prefer and they have a little more detail about each kind of pad.

I don't know if there may also be a difference between what the guy players prefer and what the girl players prefer in terms of equipment. I don't see why there really would be, but it might be helpful to go to the Men's Derby Coalition site and get opinions from their community forum. Wow I think this kind of ended up being a wall of text but I hope it's helpful!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Totally TWISTED posted:

Anyone else watch the live streams? Any comments on that?

The streaming was great for the most part, but the late games on Friday and Saturday had some problems. DNN was saying that a lot of that had to do with Justin.tv not being able to handle the higher demands of feeding the video to as many people as tuned in, and plus they're apparently cutting back staff at that website so it was hard to get any answers as to why. That's why for Sunday they switched to a different provider, which I'm hearing wasn't exactly cheap. However, when the same streaming issue popped up in the 2nd half of the Oly/Rocky game, they were corrected quickly. Things happen when 3000+ people from all over the world are trying to tune in.

All things considered, DNN is doing great when you realize they're trying to do all of this on a shoestring donation budget. DNN isn't happy with the problems and is looking on a way to improve on things for next season.

And so with the WFTDA season over, the only thing worth mentioning that's left this year is the LA Derby Dolls banked track season, which has two games left in it, which will both be streamed (naturally). Fight Crew vs. Varsity Brawlers this Saturday for pride, but then December 4 will be San Diego Swarm vs. LA Tough Cookies for the championship. These two teams have a big history, and when they played each other last month it was pretty epic. I'll update the first post later this week with more details, but trust me—you won't want to miss this one.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

scorpiobean posted:

:eng101: helpfulness

Very helpful, for sure. I'm glad to get some peer review on the skates, especially hearing about what happens to them after a lot of use. I got to thinking about it, and do you think it would be a better investment to push all the money towards a pair of better skates that I won't need to replace later, and worry about the pads at another time? I'd obviously like to get into roller derby as soon as possible, especially since I have a tendency to sort of drift away from things with time, but I'd also like to get in a lot of practice before I start looking for anything serious like a team, as well.

I'm thinking in any case that I'd like to spend another day or two researching things, and seeing what sort of money I can pool together before I get something on an impulse. I'm actually pretty glad I was a little short at first so I didn't just buy the first thing I saw, haha. I do have a terrible feeling that if I don't get everything I need now then there's going to be a dry spell in the future where I'm just out of luck on being able to purchase it.

EDIT: I think the best thing to do is get the package, and just try to scrabble up enough to order some new wheels/bearings alongside. Maybe I can use the wheels they come with to practice outside, since I won't have to really worry about them getting torn up as much.

Double edit: I just realized I could totally disassemble that skateboard and yoink the bearings out of that. I was bummed because I knew I used to have some Swiss somethings around the house but lost them long ago, then remembered there are great ones inside that board. That will save me a good $30-$50. Woo! Do you have any specific suggestions for the wheels? Like I said, I'll probably just rough it with the standards for outside, and get something else for indoor flat track use.

Redfont fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 9, 2010

pappy.from.jersey
Nov 8, 2010
Flat track coach/ equipment guy (sort of) here. Assassination City, Dallas (Mesquite), TX. My wife, Stone Cold Jane Austen, skates for the Deadly Kennedys in our home league.

As far as skates go, Sure Grip has introduced a new skate package to rival Riedell's R3 for beginners. It's called the Rebel/ Invader setup. Rebel boots mounted to an Invader plate. It has boots that are said to be a little better than the R3 in quality, and the Invader plate ( which is steel, not plastic like Riedell's Probe plate found on the R3). The Invader has 30-degree kingpins, which are more maneuverable than the Probe's 10-degree pin.

Wheels should be chosen based on the weight of the skater. Over 170 pounds = aluminum hubs, and higher durometer (hardness). See: Radar SpeedRays, Atom Juke Alloy, etc.

Kneepads seem to wear out first for the girls, since they fall on their knees most often with most of their weight. You'll replace them first, so don't go cheap.

Take all of that for what it's worth.

P.s.: whatup to echopapa. He helped choose my wife's name, and has sent us a bunch of his league's swag.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
/\/\/\
Ooh, pretty interesting. My only concern is being able to find it in a package sort of deal where I can get everything all at once, cheaper than buying it separate.

I'm only around 125, so the hubs/high hardness shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks for the info, though, definitely helped out with some stuff I didn't even know I didn't know.

EDIT: There are two sets of wheels on sale right now, Atom Jukes and Atom Juke Slims, so I'll no doubt pick those up while I can. Is there any difference between the two except that the slims are... slimmer? Edit edit: Or rather does said slimness affect the performance at all?

Further edit: Also hey, any name suggestions would be awesome. The only thing I have right now is Waynekiller (painkiller) (because my middle name is Wayne). The first is Joel (I might have used Bazooka Joel if there wasn't already a Bazooka Jolene on the ladies team), and names can play on the word "Meek" for my last name. That's the only thing I can think of to offer in the way of pun material for you at the moment.

EDIT: Hahahahaha, that's hilarious because it totally works out and is completely awesome.
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Redfont fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 9, 2010

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Redfont posted:

Further edit: Also hey, any name suggestions would be awesome. The only thing I have right now is Waynekiller (painkiller) (because my middle name is Wayne). The first is Joel (I might have used Bazooka Joel if there wasn't already a Bazooka Jolene on the ladies team), and names can play on the word "Meek" for my last name. That's the only thing I can think of to offer in the way of pun material for you at the moment.

If all else fails, just combine any two American Gladiators and you'll be in great shape. Zap Malibu! Nitro Gemini!

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
New post for less edits.

What's up echopapa? It's cool to hear that you helped out the roller derby cause with pappy.from.jersey, it's good to know there are people out there willing to give a helping hand to scrubs like myself when they need it.

Redfont fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 9, 2010

Vintage Vixen
Jul 30, 2008

2chibi posted:

Vixen, you guys were awesome at BoTB! I was lucky enough to get to fly down and watch in person, and am really hoping for the chance to skate next year. I skate with Tilted Thunder Rail Birds. We JUST finished our track and skated on it for the first time TODAY. Our first banked bout is Dec 4th!

Thanks! I heard your track was finished! Congrats. It's so exciting! Looking forward to hosting TTRB for a banked track bout in Phoenix in April and seeing you again in Phoenix for BOTB in June!

pappy.from.jersey
Nov 8, 2010

Redfont posted:

/\/\/\
Ooh, pretty interesting. My only concern is being able to find it in a package sort of deal where I can get everything all at once, cheaper than buying it separate.

I'm only around 125, so the hubs/high hardness shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks for the info, though, definitely helped out with some stuff I didn't even know I didn't know.

EDIT: There are two sets of wheels on sale right now, Atom Jukes and Atom Juke Slims, so I'll no doubt pick those up while I can. Is there any difference between the two except that the slims are... slimmer? Edit edit: Or rather does said slimness affect the performance at all?

Slim vs. Wide is a preference thing (insert joke here). Wider wheels offer more stability due to more urethane being in contact with the skating surface, but are slower due to more urethane contacting the skating surface.

Most of the girls in our league are switching to a slim wheel as they become better skaters. Slim wheels offer less stability, but greater speed and maneuverability.

At your weight, any wheel hardness will work, just don't drop below 92-93. They're too soft to get any kind of speed. Unless you'll be on polished concrete, then more grip will be needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
Redfont - I know you were looking at beginner packages and someone had suggested the Sure Grip Rebels. My first beginner skates were Rebels. They were ok, but holy poo poo the toe stops would not stay in the sockets. Anytime anyone lost a toe stop you can be 95% sure it came from a Sure Grip. That aside, the skate seemed to be alright for a beginner but I was ready to upgrade after 6 months.

I suggest you again check out Sin City Skates. They also have beginner packages but the beauty of them is that if you can call them, talk to them. They are amazingly easy to work with and will adjust your skate package to whatever you want. Say you don't want the Sure Grip Fugitives that come stock on the Rebel package, or you want better bearings. Call them and they can adjust your package. You'll have to pay the price difference but you aren't necessarily stuck with the stock package.

The other things you listed as what you listed, I don't really have a preference on. I started off with the Pro-Tec beginner packages and hate hate hated the knee pads. I upgraded to the Triple 8 KP-22s and adore the butterfly back closure. Pull ons suck when you have knee problems and need to use braces and whatnot.

If you are serious about derby I would also suggest a couple of pairs of wheels. I went from blue Fugitives at 92A to the Hybrid Sugars at 85A and while I love the grippiness and stability I get with the Sugars, they are fuckall slow. They work much better as a blocker wheel rather than a jammer wheel. I had to skate on that foam floor that grade school basketball courts are made of and my Sugars made it feel like I was in thigh high quicksand. Some of the girls with 95A wheels fared much better, but then are a failure on polished concrete.

Aericina fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 9, 2010

• Locked thread