Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

i am not zach posted:

Got in friday on URRE as well (1.73), enjoying the ride so far.

I tried to buy this on Thursday but that is when I switched to Scott trade from Sharebuilder and my initial deposit has not cleared yet to buy securities priced under $4. I think I will clear tomorrow, too bad I was not able to get in on all the gains from today.

EDIT: New page, well, only thing I can think of adding to my post is you can get 5 free trades from Scott trade if you use the coupon code listed here: http://www.scottrade.com/twitter/

Only thing is that page says 5 free trades but I only received 3. Oh well, 3 is better then 0.

Mr. Ali fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
CRM can go to hell. It's like a drug resistant cancer that will only die after the host dies.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

My new investing strategy is to do exactly the opposite of what ayekappy does.

Bigass Moth posted:

Anyone have any opinions on alternate power (wind, water, solar, etc.) companies?
I've been nervous about the individual companies themselves - there seems to be such low chances of picking a winner. I'm a lot more comfortable with companies who have a hand in it, but aren't exclusively alt-power, like GE (wind) and DOW (solar).

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 8, 2010

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I've been nervous about the individual companies themselves - there seems to be such low chances of picking a winner. I'm a lot more comfortable with companies who have a hand in it, but aren't exclusively alt-power, like GE (wind) and DOW (solar).

That's my problem, there is so little info out there as to which companies are going to be making headway and actually delivering good financials. Especially when these companies are in foreign countires, like China, which theoretically have a shitload of potential for wind harvesting in particular.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
I've used thinkorswim for over a year and am very happy with them. However, I mostly trade options.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008
The whole wind and solar alt energy market doesn't look so hot atm with a lot of government subsidies for wind expiring and will be difficult to renew them with a republican house. Wind and solar has to have Oil get over $100 a barrel to be economically viable even then there are much better/cheaper alternatives to keep energy costs down. My money leans more towards Natural gas companies with Nat Gas being close to 2 year lows(cheapest liquid energy source by a long-shot). Besides Nat-Gas is worth much more on the global market than it does domestically, if we export it, due to massive shale reserves. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing local fleet businesses start to switch their trucks to Nat Gas. Maybe also play the coal and nuclear(long) power angle due to currency devaluations as coal and nuclear can keep prices down domestically.

Without subsidies Wind and Solar face a rough road ahead. Though if we see those subsidies renewed at current levels or greater wind and solar stocks might get a nice boost.

owDAWG fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 9, 2010

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

i am not zach posted:

Got in friday on URRE as well (1.73), enjoying the ride so far.

yeah jesus im smug as gently caress, been in on this stock for a long time with some friends thinkin I was crazy. all the ridicule was worth it.

I'm honestly a bit nervous, I mean I realize it's doing what it is now also because of just a general schwarmereii for the uranium market over the last week, but I'm honestly thinking about taking my profits at 2.5 (which it should hit tuesday based on after hours trading if I'm right).

I've watched this stock pretty closely for the last year or two, and last time I had a feeling like this it hit 1.5 for similar reasons, I sold, and then rebought at my current .63 or .68 or whatever I have it at. thinkin it might do some similar drop back to 1.5 or something once all this hubbub dies down - though I still have confidence in the stock long term wise

maybe now's the time to do a trailing stop? I've never done one before but I'm thinking a -10% change would be a good indicator to realize some gains :/ any thoughts?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Bah. CRM has still been flat / down slightly since I bet against it... its P/E is what pisses me off, $15 bil market cap on $80 mil net income last year? HaHaHa.

I was an idiot for betting against Helicopter Ben though, how dare I thought the Fed might lay off for a month or two to at least let the overinflated markets take a breather. I'd poo poo myself if that $600 bil actually got lent out instead of instaprofit for those let in the game and a severely propped up market.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Got out of X this morning, had a nice 8 point gain from 40. Might get back in if it corrects a decent amount. Picked up some ANR and PCX on near close yesterday.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 9, 2010

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Plastic Jesus posted:

Ignoring all of that, consolidation in SLV will be the world's most obvious cup-with-handle, and I think that's a fade.

Never doubt cup and handle. The one true chart pattern!

edit: http://www.zerohedge.com/article/pm-selloff-reason-cme-raise-margin-requirements-silver-5000-6500

Nifty fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 9, 2010

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Nifty posted:

Never doubt cup and handle. The one true chart pattern!

Yah...glad I didn't actually try to fade it despite the false breakdown on the 3rd.

WTF is with LOGI today? It was "Investors Day" there, and now it's up 16% on no public news that I can find.

Edit: And there goes SLV. Getting short.

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 9, 2010

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
Today I finally started trading options for real after playing on Investopedia for awhile and made about $100 on a $300 investment which I think is pretty cool. My question is how often can I do this? I have read that you can only make 5 trades in a week or you are considered a pattern day trader and have to keep $25k in your account. Is this accurate?

Also, this may be broker-specific (I am using Options House), but what is "buying power"? As I made my trades today, my buying power has gone down by an amount equal to what my trade is worth and never rebounded back up. To illustrate, I started with $500, it took -$200 (or something) for my first trade and then another $250 for my second trade and now I only have a "buying power" of $50 even though I sold everything I bought today. Do they just hold my funds overnight or something?

Insaint
Nov 22, 2005

IratelyBlank posted:

Also, this may be broker-specific (I am using Options House), but what is "buying power"? As I made my trades today, my buying power has gone down by an amount equal to what my trade is worth and never rebounded back up. To illustrate, I started with $500, it took -$200 (or something) for my first trade and then another $250 for my second trade and now I only have a "buying power" of $50 even though I sold everything I bought today. Do they just hold my funds overnight or something?

It takes a while for a trade to settle, think it's trade date +3 days for stocks and +1 day for options/futures.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Has anyone ever noticed a discrepancy between brokerages on the price of a stock, even after the end of the trading day?

I was checking up on my accounts today on Quicken and noticed the stock price Quicken reported was different than what my brokerage reported on some stocks.

Example:
I own VEU. Quicken reported the end of the day stock price at $48.20

Yahoo also reports $48.20.
Vanguard reports $48.21
My brokerage (ING) reports $48.18

That's a 3 cent spread between various brokerages on the same stock. I could see this if the stock were being actively traded, but this is after the end of the trading day.

Is there something obvious I am missing here?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

GamingHyena posted:

Has anyone ever noticed a discrepancy between brokerages on the price of a stock, even after the end of the trading day?

I was checking up on my accounts today on Quicken and noticed the stock price Quicken reported was different than what my brokerage reported on some stocks.

Example:
I own VEU. Quicken reported the end of the day stock price at $48.20

Yahoo also reports $48.20.
Vanguard reports $48.21
My brokerage (ING) reports $48.18

That's a 3 cent spread between various brokerages on the same stock. I could see this if the stock were being actively traded, but this is after the end of the trading day.

Is there something obvious I am missing here?

It's an ETF. Those can lag about 15 minutes.

Plus:

quote:

In the context of mutual funds, NAV per share is computed once a day based on the closing market prices of the securities in the fund's portfolio. All mutual funds' buy and sell orders are processed at the NAV of the trade date. However, investors must wait until the following day to get the trade price.

Mutual funds pay out virtually all of their income and capital gains. As a result, changes in NAV are not the best gauge of mutual fund performance, which is best measured by annual total return.

Because ETFs and closed-end funds trade like stocks, their shares trade at market value, which can be a dollar value above (trading at a premium) or below (trading at a discount) NAV.

ayekappy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 10, 2010

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
My economic statistics class has been having an Investopedia stock simulator competition this semester. Back at the beginning of the semester I put as much of my money as I could into bearish triple-leveraged ETFs and promptly forgot about it until just recently, when I was alerted by Investopedia that they were liquidating my portfolio due to margin call.

So...I've got $180k left with a month to go in the competition and I'm about $130k behind first place. I'm looking for the riskiest possible option plays out there. I either want to place first or lose all of my money. Do you guys have any gambling ideas?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Free Gucci Mane posted:

My economic statistics class has been having an Investopedia stock simulator competition this semester. Back at the beginning of the semester I put as much of my money as I could into bearish triple-leveraged ETFs and promptly forgot about it until just recently, when I was alerted by Investopedia that they were liquidating my portfolio due to margin call.

So...I've got $180k left with a month to go in the competition and I'm about $130k behind first place. I'm looking for the riskiest possible option plays out there. I either want to place first or lose all of my money. Do you guys have any gambling ideas?

you could do my stock URRE either way. I'm honestly split myself. I would bet you serious money that it (it's at like 2.43) goes to hit about 1.5 sometime within the next month or so, or hits like 3.5-4. it's done like crazy 100% gains in the last week or two, which is really not normal, and after the crazy poo poo dies down it'll settle somewhere (higher or lower, gently caress knows)

I am actually invested in the stock pretty heavily, so I think I'm going to sell it where it is tomorrow, and hope it's gonna settle down rather than keep rocketing off. dunno, sorry if that's not helpful, but it's on my portfolio and doing insane poo poo so I thought I'd mention it.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Free Gucci Mane posted:

FAZ calls. Or SPXU calls. I've been a wrong bear for a while now, but damnit, the market has to be near a top unless we've entered inflation land, which I don't believe.

Edit: Oh, GLL calls look sexy, loving gold bugs. ZSL looks mega sexy.

ayekappy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 10, 2010

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

mindphlux posted:

you could do my stock URRE either way. I'm honestly split myself. I would bet you serious money that it (it's at like 2.43) goes to hit about 1.5 sometime within the next month or so, or hits like 3.5-4. it's done like crazy 100% gains in the last week or two, which is really not normal, and after the crazy poo poo dies down it'll settle somewhere (higher or lower, gently caress knows)

I am actually invested in the stock pretty heavily, so I think I'm going to sell it where it is tomorrow, and hope it's gonna settle down rather than keep rocketing off. dunno, sorry if that's not helpful, but it's on my portfolio and doing insane poo poo so I thought I'd mention it.

I purchased 100 of URRE the other day...it was down at the end of the day, but like you were saying, I'm hoping for a bit of a jump. Interesting to see either way.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I really can't argue with my %150 gains. Decided last night I'm out. Put in a 3% trailing stop and rode some of today's jump up to 2.4 and took my poo poo.

I'll reenter at 1.5ish, hope I'm right about this one because I really do wanna be in on this stock some long

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I put in a sell limit on NFLX at 175.50 and it looks like it might hit today.

Midget Mafia
Apr 17, 2002
I know calling tops & bottoms is more or less luck, but does anyone have any insight as to where the market is likely to head over the next few months or so? I've basically been entirely unable to predict the market since the start of September. The only explanation I see anywhere is LOL QE2 makes everything go up! As of today, I'm sitting on a 100% cash position and I'm really torn as to whether I should just sit on it for awhile or get back in the market. I'm up about 35% on the year, so if there's no clear direction to where things are headed I'm content to sit on it rather than gamble.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Does anyone have any thoughts on Dean Foods (DF)? They completely crashed this week because of weak earnings, but are still profitable and have increasing revenues, and the main problem seems to be the disconnect between the change of their cost of production and the prices they charge. Cost cutting and potential price increases seem like they could help a bit here.

I may be walking into a trap here, but I'm tempted to grab some and hold it for a couple months.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 10, 2010

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The stock's been in briefly interrupted freefall for a few years now, the most recent conference call warned of sharply increasing costs, and the CFO just left the company. I'm not sure where the upside is for DF.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
The Fed put out their treasury buying operation schedule today thank god. I was thinking they may get cold feet, but the short the long end of the curve trade is still the best one in town.

I hope the fed gets their wish and oil goes to $160. I can only imagine the profits that consumer stocks will show at that point. Demand would probably just surge to the point where American factories would never be able to open fast enough to fulfill the waiting lists at stores.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

saintonan posted:

The stock's been in briefly interrupted freefall for a few years now, the most recent conference call warned of sharply increasing costs, and the CFO just left the company. I'm not sure where the upside is for DF.
I'm mainly looking for a partial recovery after the past couple days' severe drops. It's obviously a risky move, but my thinking is that this drop either is or will be perceived as an overreaction. I've done well before from similar bumps on much worse companies.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
It's not that I've stopped trading, just that I went tech heavy more than a year ago (yay BIDU) and honestly there isn't much else to say.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I'm mainly looking for a partial recovery after the past couple days' severe drops. It's obviously a risky move, but my thinking is that this drop either is or will be perceived as an overreaction. I've done well before from similar bumps on much worse companies.

A few months ago 3% drops on heavy volume were considered "severe". Now we lose 10 points on the S&P and the sky is falling.

I've been bullish since august, IMO this is just some consolidation before another rally taking us sharply higher. This is definitely a buy the dips market and I think today proves that.

ayekappy posted:

These positive POMO days are becoming too known by normal people... I guess the magical POMO fueled days are going to have to take a break for a while eventually. I wish I had a few hundred thousand dollars, I'd only buy the close the days before POMO days and sell before close the next day and I'd be mega rich.

Never trust anything posted on zerohedge, it's like getting your info from the national enquirer.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 10, 2010

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Gamesguy posted:

A few months ago 3% drops on heavy volume were considered "severe". Now we lose 10 points on the S&P and the sky is falling.

I've been bullish since august, IMO this is just some consolidation before another rally taking us sharply higher. This is definitely a buy the dips market and I think today proves that.

Never trust anything posted on zerohedge, it's like getting your info from the national enquirer.

Well, looks pretty correlated to me... POMO action stopped a little before April and remained flat, and the market took a huge dive... then when the market went up, so did the POMO action.... maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

ayekappy posted:

Well, looks pretty correlated to me... POMO action stopped a little before April and remained flat, and the market took a huge dive... then when the market went up, so did the POMO action.... maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Because the huge dive had nothing to do with the soverign debt crap that came out of Europe...

Fact is, any trading strategy based around POMO underperforms the S&P.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
someone explain what happened to CSCO today.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

Dr. Jackal posted:

someone explain what happened to CSCO today.

Dismal revenue outlook by the CEO causing sell-off in after hours trading.

I am currently looking for a good stock to capitalize on the SSD, possibly focusing more on the enterprise level, market or maybe I should just buy put options on Seagate.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Gamesguy posted:

Fact is, any trading strategy based around POMO underperforms the S&P.

Well, NYFED just dropped the operating schedule for their little rejuvenation plan. $35B/week starting this weekend and running through December..all aboard? You guys think this will sustain an EM/commodities/broader market rally at least into Christmas?

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

GET MONEY posted:

Well, NYFED just dropped the operating schedule for their little rejuvenation plan. $35B/week starting this weekend and running through December..all aboard? You guys think this will sustain an EM/commodities/broader market rally at least into Christmas?

I'm skeptical. So far 10yr Treasuries have been headed in the wrong direction. And that's where most of the firepower is going.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
It's horseshit that SIRI can report record earnings and Q3 subscribers, but just because one goddamn mongoloid analyst downgrades them from strong buy to buy it plummets

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
I'm thinking of picking up some CSCO after todays drop... worked out well after I bought some ADBE after the big drop. Tell me why I'm an idiot.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

The Good posted:

I'm thinking of picking up some CSCO after todays drop... worked out well after I bought some ADBE after the big drop. Tell me why I'm an idiot.

as long as you are willing to hold it for a few months. or you can jump in on the option lottery tickets.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Pudgygiant posted:

It's horseshit that SIRI can report record earnings and Q3 subscribers, but just because one goddamn mongoloid analyst downgrades them from strong buy to buy it plummets

Considering analyst recommendations become out of date immediately, why don't they issue target prices? "I like this stock between $80 and $120/share," say?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Fuschia tude posted:

Considering analyst recommendations become out of date immediately, why don't they issue target prices? "I like this stock between $80 and $120/share," say?

too much accountability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

GET MONEY posted:

I've been long commodities(copper iron/steel and coal) since over two weeks ago. Still sitting on them.

quote:

I got some dec 21 calls personally. Just a couple k worth so it won't bother me if I lose it. But it's definitely a lottery though.