Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Actually my excuse is the Turks. One five-minute Turks scene is enough to buy me off for the next twenty minutes of silver-haired dudes sword fighting.

Yeah it's pretty much just like Square writers to get the comic relief characters 100% spot on but have the serious characters suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

21stCentury posted:

Also, "Ed Kann" or no, the concept art for Secret of Evermore is much darker than the writing. Never mind how it looked when it came out, urban legend or no, there's definitely something going on. Most likely, they were told to tone down the dark poo poo early in development and they basically just toned down the story.

Concept art and actually story are rarely done by the same guy you know. Betcha anything the dude doing the writing had stuff pretty much the same as the final plot but the guy doing the concept art wanted to make everything dark and poo poo.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Lone Rogue posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if around the same time they were told to get their asses moving on finishing the game, they were also told to tone down the dark themes.

yeah pretty much that, I bet they were going for a much much more complex story and ran out of time and shipped a goofy story and a half finished game.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Yeah, and this is interesting, but what I was saying is that it's not as if they were making the game in story order... Probably. Early/late in game order doesn't necessarily map to early/late in the development process. Or maybe it does in this case, I dunno.

There really is no sane reason games have to be made in order, but it's odd how often it's obvious that they are.

Like nearly every game with a rushed development cycle has the last levels and the ending being the part that suffers, and games that changed a lot over development it's always most obvious from the first levels.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What? Of COURSE you should make games in order! The beginning is the part everybody sees, you want to start with that. Put your best foot forward. Now you have a solid foundation for the art and gameplay to follow.

People are going to quit along the way while they're playing. That is a fact. Outside of weird optional sidequests, fewer people see the ending than any other part. If development stalls and the ending has to be rushed, so be it. It's less of a loss.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Awesome troll, bro. Tell us more about your game dev experiences.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
How is that a troll? Seems pretty accurate to me.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

What? Of COURSE you should make games in order! The beginning is the part everybody sees, you want to start with that. Put your best foot forward. Now you have a solid foundation for the art and gameplay to follow.

People are going to quit along the way while they're playing. That is a fact. Outside of weird optional sidequests, fewer people see the ending than any other part. If development stalls and the ending has to be rushed, so be it. It's less of a loss.

I always wondered why I never really played a game that had a lovely opening but a fantastic closing. What you said makes sense, seems like a waste of resources to put your best foot forward at the end when most of your customers and reviewers won't see it.

Still love KotOR 2.

Theolla
Sep 15, 2010

Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink. -Charles Bukowski

Crazy Achmed posted:

I played the hell out of this game when I was little, and it's still one of my favourites now. Did you ever notice that when you use the password you mentioned, there are a bunch of hidden doors in the town that lead directly to each of the game's bosses? If I recall correctly, there are a couple of them in the tower near other doors, and one on the floating platforms leading to the door in the sky that goes to the desert.
There're also two hidden shops that sell magic and charmstones - these are present in all games, whereas the boss doors only show up if you use the password.
I used to think that I'd found everything in that game, but a few years back I stumbled upon a pretty mind-breaking secret: apparently if you equip the tasmanian sword, hold button 2 on player 2's control pad and then jump and attack (or a similar combo involving both control pads), you can change form anywhere, rather than in the normal transformation rooms. There are a few speedrunners who talk about using this to sequence-break.

Wow, that is pretty drat cool! Now that I think about it, I do remember the password altering the game itself; I did use those doors in town. I remember figuring out that password early on while playing... so I don't have a good comparison for how the "normal" game played.

I still think it's one of the best game cheats ever. For me the game turned from "Dammit, I'm tired of being mouse man stuck in this maze", into "Hmm... do I want to fly as bird man for a while, or explore as piranha man?" I think the side scrolling exploration in that game rivals games like Metroid. It was so refreshing to play a game that didn't have annoying bottomless pits. Falling just took you to whole new worlds. Nice to know someone else played it; I figured it was pretty obscure. Most gamers I talk to don't know what the heck the Master System is.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Rakanakle posted:

I always wondered why I never really played a game that had a lovely opening but a fantastic closing.

Tales of the Abyss has, in my opinion, a pretty meh start but a great ending.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Rakanakle posted:

I always wondered why I never really played a game that had a lovely opening but a fantastic closing. What you said makes sense, seems like a waste of resources to put your best foot forward at the end when most of your customers and reviewers won't see it.

Makes sense to me.

However, I will say Square-enix has been good about this. Say what you will about your preferences, they put effort into their pretty CGI endings as much as their flashy beginnings.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mister Roboto posted:

However, I will say Square-enix has been good about this. Say what you will about your preferences, they put effort into their pretty CGI endings as much as their flashy beginnings.

It's the middle that you've gotta watch out for. The middle of FFXII is so terrible that I have a running theory that nobody ever actually beat it.

I know I gave up around where you could accidentally stumble across Exodus.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Rakanakle posted:

Alpha Protocol.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Brutal Legend...

Oh, wait, the beginning of Brutal Legend was actually a completely unrelated game... And the game most people thought they were getting.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Semi-related to this, which was posted earlier: I'm not sure if this is a hoax or a glitch or just a weird bit of YouTube compression or what, Minecraft's art style is so blocky anyways that it's hard to tell.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Semi-related to this, which was posted earlier: I'm not sure if this is a hoax or a glitch or just a weird bit of YouTube compression or what, Minecraft's art style is so blocky anyways that it's hard to tell.

Screamers aren't clever. :saddowns:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cleretic posted:

I know I gave up around where you could accidentally stumble across Exodus.

What I want to know is why you didn't have Berserk, Haste, and the Zodiac Spear by that point, mister :colbert:

Seriously, that thing dragged so drat much that cheesing the gently caress out of everything was pretty much the only way that I was able to stomach playing through the entire thing.

I don't know if this is a hoax or was proven or what, but doesn't FFXII International have that crossbow without a field graphic that has a really small chance of spawning in an invisible chest in Rabanastre?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Rakanakle posted:

Still love KotOR 2.

KOTOR 1 had a lovely beginning much better ending. KOTOR2's beginning was terrible too. RPGs suffer from terrible intro syndrome on the whole though, and I never have found a good reason why, although I'm sure it exists.

And actually the GoW2 devs said they often do the intro last. They have an idea the direction they want to go but hold off actually finalizing it till the end. The reason is you want to engross the player to play your game so a strong opening is best. So you want to have it late in development when everyone knows what their game is going to "be" and have worked together for a few months now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

21stCentury posted:

Brutal Legend...

Oh, wait, the beginning of Brutal Legend was actually a completely unrelated game... And the game most people thought they were getting.
No they're the same game.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

RagnarokAngel posted:

And actually the GoW2 devs said they often do the intro last. They have an idea the direction they want to go but hold off actually finalizing it till the end. The reason is you want to engross the player to play your game so a strong opening is best. So you want to have it late in development when everyone knows what their game is going to "be" and have worked together for a few months now.

Which GoW2 are you talking about?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

RagnarokAngel posted:

KOTOR 1 had a lovely beginning much better ending. KOTOR2's beginning was terrible too. RPGs suffer from terrible intro syndrome on the whole though, and I never have found a good reason why, although I'm sure it exists.

I swear I am the only person on Earth who liked Taris.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I swear I am the only person on Earth who liked Taris.
It's an OK level but a really loving terrible opening.

Better than Peragus though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Which GoW2 are you talking about?

God of War 2, sorry. Hence the kick rear end colossus fight the game is so famous for.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Something I was positive was a hoax that actually turned out to be real: The Call of Duty: WaW Raygun.

Apparently jumping in three puddles in a specific sequence in one part of a map in the campaign will make the ground shake and cause an ominous booming voice to be heard, followed by a pedestal surrounded by several shisa (some kind Japanese mythological dog-lion thing) statues to spring from the ground. On that pedestal is an honest-to-god raygun.

How the hell do you even find something like this on accident? I wish I could have seen the face of the first guy that discovered this, he must have had a conniption.

Also, I didn't think the secret hadoken move in Megaman X was real until YEARS after the fact. Turns out my friends in middle school weren't full of poo poo after all.

Horns fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 14, 2010

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Horns posted:

Something I was positive was a hoax that actually turned out to be real: The Call of Duty: WaW Raygun.

Apparently jumping in three puddles in a specific sequence in one part of a map in the campaign will make the ground shake and cause an ominous booming voice to be heard, followed by a pedestal surrounded by several shisa (some kind Japanese mythological dog-lion thing) statues to spring from the ground. On that pedestal is an honest-to-god raygun.

How the hell do you even find something like this on accident? I wish I could have seen the face of the first guy that discovered this, he must have had a conniption.

Also, I didn't think the secret hadoken move in Megaman X was real until YEARS after the fact. Turns out my friends in middle school weren't full of poo poo after all.

If I remember right this was pointed out earlier linking to the Easter Egg thread. There, one of the goon devs explained the inclusion of the Raygun (I think he also mentioned that it almost didn't make it into the game and some people were a little creeped out by the statues) and hinted at the possibility of more cool things in the game that haven't been found.

Also in Megaman X the hadoken move was found in a capsule in one of the game's many bottomless pits towards the last few levels of the game. That was pretty mean of them.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Also in Megaman X the hadoken move was found in a capsule in one of the game's many bottomless pits towards the last few levels of the game. That was pretty mean of them.

The Hadouken was at the top of a cliff face in Armored Armadillo's stage and while out of the way wouldn't have lead to death in the slightest if you just went up there to look. The Shoryuken was at the bottom of a pit in X2 (or was that the gold armour in X3?)

E: Yeah, well, technically that's a thing. The location where you actually find it though still isn't at the bottom of a pit, whereas there are two that actually are.

VVVVVVVVV

cobalt impurity fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 14, 2010

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

cobalt impurity posted:

The Hadouken was at the top of a cliff face in Armored Armadillo's stage and while out of the way wouldn't have lead to death in the slightest if you just went up there to look. The Shoryuken was at the bottom of a pit in X2 (or was that the gold armour in X3?)

You have to suicide into the pit several times to cause the Hadouken capsule to appear. Maybe he means that?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Endorph posted:

It's an OK level but a really loving terrible opening.

Better than Peragus though.

I liked Taris because you're not "special" yet, you're just a jerkoff Republic soldier hiding out in a shanty apartment with some other, whinier soldier who has trust issues, fuckin' up gangs and racin' swoops.

I actually liked Peragus too, but it suffers from "puzzle" syndrome, since after you've played it once you've solved the mystery and then it just becomes a speed-run.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

RagnarokAngel posted:

I always assumed it was because the beginning part of RPGs is where they need to
  • introduce the first group of characters and explain who they are, what they do and why.
  • Explain to the players how to walk, talk, open the menu, use items, open doors, fight, etc.
  • Explain the gameplay mechanics that differentiate Dragon Fantasy 3 from Dragon Fantasy 2, Final Quest 6 and DnD: The Long Title.
  • Make sure not to overwhelm you by restricting where you can go and what you can do.

This is evident in that some people claim that the Tutorial in FFXIII is 9 chapters long, because that's when you get a large area to faff around in.

Add in the fact that, on top of not letting you go everywhere, they often don't give you access to everything in battle until the mid-point. Which makes sense because more often than not, you start weak and end up strong. it's hard to show off that growth when you start with every good spell and technique and whatnot.

It's just something RPGs have to do. If you don't have a good combat tutorial, you'll end up losing more players because they don't understand the battle mechanics. if they hold your hand too much, players will bitch and moan about it.

Game design is about striking a balance, really.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I am not necessarily dismissing this line of speculation, but you guys do realize that that guy's blog post that kicked off this whole discussion was made up, right?

Honestly, it simply fed a nagging feeling that thousands of people who played Secret of Evermore had.

E: Plus I have that soundtrack CD, and no track is over like 2 minutes long?

I just remember the GamePlayers article. I don't have it anymore of course since it was from 1995 but I remember them bragging about the Market music not looping after a ridiculous amount of time. It's good to know it was a preview, not a review. They were talking to the developers when the game was still a few months before release. Maybe they cut it down for the Soundtrack?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Super Mario Bros 3

One of the best-selling games of all time had to have its share of 'rumors.' I remember a guy telling me how his uncle popped the game in, and entered a code at the start screen. This code enabled a world select screen, and he started with an inventory full of items. Of course, the uncle refused to tell him the code. :rolleyes:

Imagine my surprise when just last year I find out the Game Genie code KKKZSPIU does not just that, but allows you to cycle powerups with the select button. You could even toggle the goomba shoe on/off in every level!

Now that I'm convinced there was something to the story I heard so long ago, how can it be that there is no way to trigger this supposed debug mode without a Game Genie?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Strontium posted:

Super Mario Bros 3

One of the best-selling games of all time had to have its share of 'rumors.' I remember a guy telling me how his uncle popped the game in, and entered a code at the start screen. This code enabled a world select screen, and he started with an inventory full of items. Of course, the uncle refused to tell him the code. :rolleyes:

Imagine my surprise when just last year I find out the Game Genie code KKKZSPIU does not just that, but allows you to cycle powerups with the select button. You could even toggle the goomba shoe on/off in every level!

Now that I'm convinced there was something to the story I heard so long ago, how can it be that there is no way to trigger this supposed debug mode without a Game Genie?

Not a hoax, but as a kid I was playing Super Mario Bros 3 and a man from the cable company was in our house installing cable. He sees me playing (I was on the desert world) and goes "Hey kid, check this out" and, after I gave him the controller, uses the hammer on the block on the overworld to open the hidden pathway. Seeing a grown adult so knowledgeable about videogames was the coolest thing ever at that age, the shortcut he unlocked was second.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Mister Roboto posted:

You have to suicide into the pit several times to cause the Hadouken capsule to appear. Maybe he means that?

You totally don't. Go through to Armadillo's boss area and you teleport out. Has the same effect as jumping in the pit only without the loss of lives.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Here's the Hadouken in action and how to get it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S_hflJUDTc&feature=related

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Animal Crossing Wild World

There were some rumors floating around the gameFAQS message boards at the time that there was a secret rare fish. It was huge, only showed up in the ocean, and would run away the second you see it. I thought it was the typical dumb rumors, but I swear I've seen it on a random playthrough a couple of weeks ago. Can anyone confirm this?

Apparently it was a whale.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Strontium posted:

Super Mario Bros 3

God, now I just want to play Mario 3 where I can use Kuribo's Shoe in every level instead of just one. :(

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Metroixer posted:

There were some rumors floating around the gameFAQS message boards at the time that there was a secret rare fish. It was huge, only showed up in the ocean, and would run away the second you see it. I thought it was the typical dumb rumors, but I swear I've seen it on a random playthrough a couple of weeks ago. Can anyone confirm this?

This reminds me. In the original Animal Crossing there is data for Legend of Zelda as an NES game you could get for your house. As far as I know there weren't any rumors about how to get it, but it was rumored that there was some kind of enhanced graphics CDi version in the game as well. As far as I've seen this is false and no such game exists, aside from a completely different top down perspective Zelda game for the CDi.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Jibo posted:

This reminds me. In the original Animal Crossing there is data for Legend of Zelda as an NES game you could get for your house. As far as I know there weren't any rumors about how to get it, but it was rumored that there was some kind of enhanced graphics CDi version in the game as well. As far as I've seen this is false and no such game exists, aside from a completely different top down perspective Zelda game for the CDi.

The original was gotten through a contest, and hackers later found the in game code to unlock it. Never heard the CDi version rumor though.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Metroixer posted:

It's in the original Animal Crossing, actually. Occasionally a huge fish shadow can be seen when traveling to the GBA-Link Island. It's not as dark as the regular fish shadows and it doesn't move or anything. It's pretty much there to make the player do a double-take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Jibo posted:

The closest thing to something like that might be BS Zelda, which was played using the Japan-only SNES Satellaview accessory.