Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Gamesguy posted:

I've been long commodities(copper iron/steel and coal) since over two weeks ago. Still sitting on them.

What do you use for your iron exposure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
If I had extra cash I would buy on the current SIRI dip. I still have a chunk of shares bought at 86.5 cents. I dont think that in the short term internet stuff like Pandora will interfere that much. You still have a poo poo ton of people that just want to turn on the radio and drive and not klutz around with their phone to get Pandora playing.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
Do some brokers not keep track of the pattern day trader/$25k thing? Every time I make a trade on OptionsHouse, it tells me that it is my first trade in a 5 day period and it doesn't seem to be keeping track of them. I'd like to keep trading but I'd also like to not be locked out until I have the minimum balance.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

IratelyBlank posted:

Do some brokers not keep track of the pattern day trader/$25k thing? Every time I make a trade on OptionsHouse, it tells me that it is my first trade in a 5 day period and it doesn't seem to be keeping track of them. I'd like to keep trading but I'd also like to not be locked out until I have the minimum balance.

As long as you don't open and close a position during the same session it's not considered a day-trade and thus doesn't count against the 3-trade limit.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday

Plastic Jesus posted:

As long as you don't open and close a position during the same session it's not considered a day-trade and thus doesn't count against the 3-trade limit.

By same session, are you referring to the trading day? All of my trades so far have all been opened and closed on the same day and it still isn't incrementing my trade count. I'm not going to say anything about it or complain to them but it's a little weird.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

IratelyBlank posted:

By same session, are you referring to the trading day? All of my trades so far have all been opened and closed on the same day and it still isn't incrementing my trade count. I'm not going to say anything about it or complain to them but it's a little weird.

Yes, same day. And it's not up to them to remind you that you're over your day trade limit, but it is up to them to freeze your account if they notice.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Regarding next week's GM IPO:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AB43H20101112

quote:

GM is still accepting investor orders for shares in the IPO and is not expected to close the order books until early next week, the sources said."

How does that work? They offer common and preferred shares first to bigtime sovereign or large-fund investors prior to the actual IPO, then its open season for the rest of the plebes on Thursday?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
My Fidelity account says I have to have $500,000 to participate.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Orgasmo posted:

How does that work? They offer common and preferred shares first to bigtime sovereign or large-fund investors prior to the actual IPO, then its open season for the rest of the plebes on Thursday?

basically, unless you have poo poo-tons of money, don't expect to get shares of GM until aftermarket.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Orgasmo posted:

I thought thats how most IPO's worked?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Can someone with more experience give me a serious reason why SIRI is so far down? Is it really because one rear end in a top hat said it was overvalued?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Pudgygiant posted:

Can someone with more experience give me a serious reason why SIRI is so far down? Is it really because one rear end in a top hat said it was overvalued?

It took me, literally, 30 seconds to find this: http://seekingalpha.com/article/236207-sirius-analysts-weigh-in-on-q3-earnings-and-beyond.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Yeah I read that, I guess I don't get why 8/10 analysts project it higher than it is, but because 2 say it should be lower, it's falling.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It's a glorified penny stock that's barely breaking even and is leveraged out the rear end. Despite all that, it's had about a 40% runup over the last couple of months. It's now overvalued, and people are selling.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Dr. Jackal posted:

basically, unless you have poo poo-tons of money, don't expect to get shares of GM until aftermarket.

What's the earliest a regular Joe Schmoe like me could get some shares? I'm thinking about it, but don't know how much to expect the price to run up before I'd even have a chance.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

Mobius posted:

What's the earliest a regular Joe Schmoe like me could get some shares? I'm thinking about it, but don't know how much to expect the price to run up before I'd even have a chance.

1. Call up your broker, maybe whatever trading company is might buy a lot of shares ahead of demand by its customers. If there is enough interest by its individual traders they might buy the large lump sum and split it amongst them.

2. Limit order the first day.

3. Play the waiting game; hope for analyst downgrades and bad news to drive it down then scoop up some shares then.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Plastic Jesus posted:

What do you use for your iron exposure?

CLF and RIO.

quote:

Friend of mine has shares reserved through Fidelity.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 14, 2010

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Good googa mooga I am kicking myself in the rear end for not shorting RINO a few days ago, or even this morning.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Somebody on this forum recommended URRE a while back (it was at like 75 cents). Having never bought a stock below a buck and against my better judgment, I bought 1k shares and completely forgot about it. To my amazement, it's at like 2.60 at the moment. Whoever that person was, any updated opinions on it?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Arkane posted:

Somebody on this forum recommended URRE a while back (it was at like 75 cents). Having never bought a stock below a buck and against my better judgment, I bought 1k shares and completely forgot about it. To my amazement, it's at like 2.60 at the moment. Whoever that person was, any updated opinions on it?

Purely going by capitalization, that's a micro-cap stock, and it was a penny stock just a few months ago. I'd be real leery of a 666% run up in 4 months; that's massive volatility. If it had become any major proportion of my portfolio, I'd consider taking profits on most of it so I could still be exposed to potential upside (and as a good excuse to rebalance), but not be too vulnerable to a pullback.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-12/gary-shilling-sees-equity-selloff-within-year-as-fed-fails-to-fix-economy.html

The next 12 months you say....

He really is some sort of stock market predictor!

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
F run up before GM IPO? hell yeah, no news from China about raising rates? hell yeah. Did I mention F? hell yeah.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-12/gary-shilling-sees-equity-selloff-within-year-as-fed-fails-to-fix-economy.html

The other question would be did he predict that the market was going to take climb up to this overvalued position. Otherwise he is really just restating that the market climbed up way too fast compared to actual state of the (US) economy.

Market being jumpy/over-valued was shown(?) last Friday where CSCO said "we know poop in the future" and the entire market takes a 2% dive. I would not doubt one major broad market "poop" prediction and the market is going to flash crash itself (again).

But that is different then saying "market is over valued and needs severe correction" vs "market is going to stay range bound until some point..."

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 16, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

He came to give a talk at the Georgia Tech College of Management in spring 2009. The S&P was at 660 at the time and he said it would decline to 600 before rebounding. If you had listened to him...well, the charts tell the story.

Ozy
Apr 29, 2005
"Oh no, not again."
Any advice on what I should do with the 21.00 January call on Cisco? I bought in at .77 and .65 and the position overall has taken a loss of over 40% (current price is .43). I do have 66 days left for things to turn around, but I'm getting a little nervous about the potential loss of half or more of a position and am considering cutting my losses and chalking this up as a learning experience(yes, this is money I can afford to lose, but that still doesn't make it an enjoyable experience).

I'm certain the stock price will come back up, but I'm not confident it will come up fast enough to return the option price to a point where it makes me any money or significantly reduces my losses.

I'm also considering buying in again in the low 40's in the hope of an increase from that position negating some of my losses in the event that the price rises a little, but not enough to make it back to my original buy-in price.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Are treasury prices taking a poo poo right now or is Google finance just lying to me?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

It was me. :)

My thoughts are, it's still a good long term stock - they cleared up basically everything that was troubling the company, and uranium prices are theoretically headed up over the next couple years - but it's way oversold right now. I got out at 2.4, making a boatload of money. If it falls back to around 1.5 I'd buy some more. Just wanted to set some of my gains in stone.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Anyone still have some HGSI?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=hgsi&ql=1

I made a small profit on them earlier this year, bought at 17.x and sold at 22.x and have seen a few others mention it from time to time.

Their Lupus drug has been recommended for approval and the stock was on hold during the day for the recommendation. It's up over $2.5 in after hours.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Looks like GM goes live today.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

MrBigglesworth posted:

Looks like GM goes live today.

Hard to borrow right out the gate.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Hard to borrow right out the gate.

Isn't that the norm for IPOs? I think institutions usually have to agree to a blackout "no loan" period to get their allotments. Though having never been party to an IPO I could certainly be wrong. I wonder how long before the options list.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Plastic Jesus posted:

Isn't that the norm for IPOs? I think institutions usually have to agree to a blackout "no loan" period to get their allotments. Though having never been party to an IPO I could certainly be wrong. I wonder how long before the options list.

No, you're right. It depends on the terms of the underwriter. I was thinking that with stock finally available to the masses, someone would've bought up shares that would be available for loan since this is such a huge IPO. But I guess it's not an exception, and that shares are mostly still locked up. Probably for the better, but I was considering spreading it against Ford.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Not surprising as the Fed had to expand the offering to cover the short interest /joke.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Jack posted:

Not surprising as the Fed had to expand the offering to cover the short interest /joke.

anyone notice how F and GM moved exactly in sync?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I looked over GM today for half an hour or so before I started to wonder why I was even looking over GM. Am I making some sort of mistake here?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

mindphlux posted:

I looked over GM today for half an hour or so before I started to wonder why I was even looking over GM. Am I making some sort of mistake here?

What is different about their business model now? The volt sounds like a POS compared to the japanese cars, so sounds like business as usual to me. Where is their competitive advantage?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Baddog posted:

What is different about their business model now? The volt sounds like a POS compared to the japanese cars, so sounds like business as usual to me. Where is their competitive advantage?
John Slattery in Lincoln commercials.

Also: HEMI!

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Goddammit, I can't believe I missed the LIZ breakout. I was watching, waiting for it to come off the top of the VWAP at $6.85, then boom, BTFO on heavy volume.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Baddog posted:

that's basically the conclusion I made. I mean, aside from the 'ipo !!!!' hype they have absolutely nothing going for them.

picked up some INHX, CSCO, BP, and I'm debating between COR and LVLT. The latter has pretty much never made a profit, while the former hasn't had a chance to. with options like these, how could I possibly lose?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Netflix is raising prices. In the last few minutes Ive had the Scottrade live window open and Ive always had Netflix on the list. It basically jumped from $173/share to $182/share nearly instantly.

http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/new-plan-for-watching-instantly-plus.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

Netflix is raising prices. In the last few minutes Ive had the Scottrade live window open and Ive always had Netflix on the list. It basically jumped from $173/share to $182/share nearly instantly.

http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/new-plan-for-watching-instantly-plus.html
That's interesting - there's a constant linear increase in each of the plans $1 additional dollar for each DVD your plan allows.