Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Er? I don't think anyone was arguing that the pirates are in the right (they're not), just that suing them (a) doesn't actually reduce piracy in any measurable way; (b) will cost CDP more than they will ever recoup in settlements and judgements; and (c) is a PR disaster waiting to happen the first time they try to take someone's adorable grandmother to court because someone hosed up (themselves, or one of the torrent monitoring firms they hired, or the ISP, or...), or because her computer is a zombie.

In the US the RIAA tried the same tack of going after the downloaders (as opposed to the providers); it was completely ineffectual1 and, PR-wise, went over like a lead balloon stuffed with puppy corpses.

It seems like a lot of people are reading "this doesn't work at best and will backfire messily at worst" as "YEE HAW PIRACY IS TOTALLY JUSTIFIED GET YOUR BITTORRENT ON EVERYONE".

1 Well, it worked as long as people were willing to settle out of court as soon as they got the letter, it kind of stopped working once they tried it on people with the time, money and persistence to fight it...especially since some of those people were, in fact, innocent.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
I wouldn't expect them to take this to RIAA levels though. It feels more to me they just want to do some scare tactics to try and make people think a bit harder about just downloading it. That'll get a percentage to decline the thought of downloading, and then use resources to primarily seek out heavy illegal distributors to knock them out of commission. At least that's how it's sounding to me (assuming they're using a more up-and-up firm for this).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

They're probably just going to outsource it to a company to do it for them. It wouldn't surprise me if CDProjekt was like, "Ok, let's do this. GOG, you're ours, so the contract we have with our antipiracy company is doing your stuff too."

"Ok boss."

"Ok, marketing, draft a press release."

I don't think C&D letters and pirate spying and harassment works either, and it doesn't quite ring true with GOG's overall philosophy, but it doesn't really violate it either. No DRM, ever, basically means, "We love and aren't punishing our customers," and doesn't leave out enforcing their IP. Plus, even a nominal stance against pirates strengthens any kind of relationship they might have with current and potential partners.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bats posted:

Gog offers redemption in cheap to purchase, delicious and long lasting bite size chunks. Any pirate who doesn't use the site to nab up games that they played and enjoyed is just an outright rear end in a top hat imho. I can understand not having money, I don't have money, but goddamn, they are so cheap, and they are on sale all the time, scrape together a few bucks and treat yourself every now and then. You are worth it, and you'll feel better for it.

I think the only reasonable excuse one has these days to pirate is because you are too young to work. If you are older and can't afford games because of low income, you already got enough problems and you shouldn't resort to being a thief on the side. Also, you probably could afford to kick cigarettes and spend that money on games instead.

And if you are unemployed, you can still kept a small monetary deposit from the government and you should be able to afford living expenditures and maybe a game now and then. If you need a new game more often, you probably aren't trying hard enough to get a job.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I was actually thinking of Moto Racer as a game I really wish GOG would get. I played the hell out of it as a kid, if I remember there were also two free tracks released on the official website, wonder if those are in this download.

Got the sequel since I loved the first one so much, the game is really only worthwhile for the track editor. It's super-easy to use, but it becomes painfully obvious that the large number of "official" tracks were just made in the editor and lack any real personality, which is disappointing since the first game had such awesome tracks.

Never played the 3rd one but was interested in it since it seemed to go back to the style of the first game. I'll probably just wait for a sale and grab them all at once.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Original_Z posted:

Got the sequel since I loved the first one so much, the game is really only worthwhile for the track editor. It's super-easy to use, but it becomes painfully obvious that the large number of "official" tracks were just made in the editor and lack any real personality, which is disappointing since the first game had such awesome tracks.

Yeah, that was my problem with it. It had heaps of tracks, but they were all so generic and forgettable.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bats posted:

Gog offers redemption in cheap to purchase, delicious and long lasting bite size chunks. Any pirate who doesn't use the site to nab up games that they played and enjoyed is just an outright rear end in a top hat imho. I can understand not having money, I don't have money, but goddamn, they are so cheap, and they are on sale all the time, scrape together a few bucks and treat yourself every now and then. You are worth it, and you'll feel better for it.

:argh:But but but CAPITALISM IS WRONG!:argh:

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Oldstench posted:

:argh:But but but CAPITALISM IS WRONG!:argh:

So your position is basically "it doesn't matter whether or not the lawsuit which GOG is attaching their name and possibly their financial resources to is morally sound, because GOG does things we like"? Sorry if that comes across as reductio ad absurdum, it's not really intended to be (though then again, you're basically doing it yourself so I don't know why I should feel bad about it).

I mean, call me a Debbie Downer or whatever, but just because I generally like GOG as a store doesn't mean they can do no wrong. I love the burger joint down the block, but if I found out their owner signed his name to a Discovery Institute petition I'd have second thoughts about eating there in the future.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Dirk Muscleton posted:

So your position is basically "it doesn't matter whether or not the lawsuit which GOG is attaching their name and possibly their financial resources to is morally sound, because GOG does things we like"? Sorry if that comes across as reductio ad absurdum, it's not really intended to be (though then again, you're basically doing it yourself so I don't know why I should feel bad about it).

I mean, call me a Debbie Downer or whatever, but just because I generally like GOG as a store doesn't mean they can do no wrong. I love the burger joint down the block, but if I found out their owner signed his name to a Discovery Institute petition I'd have second thoughts about eating there in the future.

So you're saying that because GoG has chosen to be DRM-free they have no right to do anything to combat piracy and the potential loss of their revenue?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Overwined posted:

So you're saying that because GoG has chosen to be DRM-free they have no right to do anything to combat piracy and the potential loss of their revenue?

Of course he's not. He's saying that if company A does something you like, and something you don't like, you're allowed to say something about it. And he's saying something about it. And you're deliberately trying to make it sound like he's saying something else. He's probably doing this to someone else's argument as well, but I'm not scrolling up. Just stop it.

This is becoming stupid.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Hey, guys, I am shocked at how GOG is lining the pockets of lawyers against their fans and some nice old grandmothers running zombie boxes; they're just like the RIAA now and I can't believe their willing to attach their financial resources, nay -their very name to a lawsuit which is clearly not morally sound. I like them, but sending cease and desist letters to people pirating their game is wrong. I am willing to state if I think something is morally wrong for GOG to do, but cannot explain my reasoning beyond ill-fitting metaphors and analogies. Take it or leave it.
:goonsay:

Back in reality, it turns out (and I'm as shocked as you are) that The Witcher 2 isn't actually out for months and nothing has actually happened. Hope this means I can look forward to months of people expressing their outrage in the above retarded manner.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Bats posted:

This is an excellent point.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

doctorfrog posted:

Of course he's not. He's saying that if company A does something you like, and something you don't like, you're allowed to say something about it. And he's saying something about it. And you're deliberately trying to make it sound like he's saying something else. He's probably doing this to someone else's argument as well, but I'm not scrolling up. Just stop it.

This is becoming stupid.

No you see the "GoG can do no wrong" is wrong argument is dumb and not even remotely to the point. Because I support GoG does not mean anything about what I feel about their other policies. Again, not even remotely relevant to the argument at hand which is whether or not pursuing pirates is for or against their anti-DRM stance. Talk about the issue or don't. Don't confuse it with stupid poo poo.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Hogburto posted:

Hey, guys, I am shocked at how GOG is lining the pockets of lawyers against their fans and some nice old grandmothers running zombie boxes; they're just like the RIAA now and I can't believe their willing to attach their financial resources, nay -their very name to a lawsuit which is clearly not morally sound. I like them, but sending cease and desist letters to people pirating their game is wrong. I am willing to state if I think something is morally wrong for GOG to do, but cannot explain my reasoning beyond ill-fitting metaphors and analogies. Take it or leave it.

I have to agree completely with this. The only people who will benefit from this are the lawyers, and I'd much rather the pirates "win" than give a penny to those bloodsuckers. And that's even assuming that this would do anything to curb piracy, which it won't. All it'll do is lose them customers who disagree with their practices. It's hard to overestimate how bad this is in terms of PR. I can't imagine how anyone with a level head would think that this was a good idea.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 25, 2010

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Hogburto posted:

If it's a choice between being goonsay and being a loving manchild, I guess I'm goonsay.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
which argument makes you a loving manchild again? i don't understand this dichotomy

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Bats posted:

Gog offers redemption in cheap to purchase, delicious and long lasting bite size chunks. Any pirate who doesn't use the site to nab up games that they played and enjoyed is just an outright rear end in a top hat imho.
Redemption only in the sense you are paying *someone* for the games. The original development teams don't get a cent in most of the cases. If you pirated a game years ago the only way to redeem yourself is to track down the developers and pay them/ask for forgiveness :v:

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Gashroom posted:

Redemption only in the sense you are paying *someone* for the games. The original development teams don't get a cent in most of the cases. If you pirated a game years ago the only way to redeem yourself is to track down the developers and pay them/ask for forgiveness :v:

I can confirm this. A couple of games I worked on are on GOG, and there's no way I'll be getting any payments or royalties for them. What's even stranger is that an ex-boss of mine who I know owns as least part of the rights to the IP of the games wasn't even told they were going on GOG, and hasn't recieved any payment for them either!

So make no mistake, most developers of games on GOG won't get a penny of your money. But I'd much rather something I worked on all those years ago was available for sale and worked on modern machines, and more importantly was being played and enjoyed again. (More money would be nice though!).

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ravenger posted:

I can confirm this. A couple of games I worked on are on GOG, and there's no way I'll be getting any payments or royalties for them. What's even stranger is that an ex-boss of mine who I know owns as least part of the rights to the IP of the games wasn't even told they were going on GOG, and hasn't recieved any payment for them either!

So make no mistake, most developers of games on GOG won't get a penny of your money. But I'd much rather something I worked on all those years ago was available for sale and worked on modern machines, and more importantly was being played and enjoyed again. (More money would be nice though!).

While that is true for a lot of the bigger publisher games, there are also a significant number of games on GOG that are now being self-published by their original creators (Tex Murphy, Myst, Journeyman Project 2, etc.), so it really varies game to game I'd imagine.

I also think there's a valid point to be made in giving money back to the original publishers.. it's making a statement that you want more games like that.

If Ubisoft sees that Beyond Good & Evil is getting a lot of sales on GOG and Steam, maybe they'll push some more funds towards BG&E2 development..

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

macnbc posted:

If Ubisoft sees that Beyond Good & Evil is getting a lot of sales on GOG and Steam, maybe they'll push some more funds towards BG&E2 development..
Not exactly...

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Blodskur posted:

Not exactly...

Awesome, I never played this the first time around and I've been waiting for something like this. I don't think my netbook would run it or I'd have GOGd it already.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

Blodskur posted:

Not exactly...

Actually Beyond Good and Evil 2 has been re-confirmed recently by Ubisoft. They haven't released anything else about it though, other than "yes, it's in the works".

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

andrew smash posted:

Awesome, I never played this the first time around and I've been waiting for something like this. I don't think my netbook would run it or I'd have GOGd it already.

also I am a huge giant baby and prefer playing most games on consoles :saddowns:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

andrew smash posted:

also I am a huge giant baby and prefer playing most games on consoles :saddowns:

BG&E sucks on monitors wider than 4:3, because the game is 4:3 with letterboxing to make it widescreen, so if you have an ACTUAL wide screen you're going to get bars on all four sides.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
hopefully the XBLA release will have that issue resolved, but if not i'm hosed either way cause i have a widescreen TV. oh well

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CaudaVenenus posted:

Actually Beyond Good and Evil 2 has been re-confirmed recently by Ubisoft. They haven't released anything else about it though, other than "yes, it's in the works".

And BG&E HD is just further proof that it will be relatively soon. If I was to guess, it would be a 2011 summer release of BG&E HD combined with a big reveal at E3 followed by a holiday season release of BG&E 2. There's literally no reason to release a BG&E HD if it's not for marketing a sequel.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

andrew smash posted:

hopefully the XBLA release will have that issue resolved, but if not i'm hosed either way cause i have a widescreen TV. oh well

It almost certainly will, I'm just saying that at this point it's probably a better bet to wait for the XBLA version than to get the PC version.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There's literally no reason to release a BG&E HD if it's not for marketing a sequel.

If Ubisoft were the size of, say, Introversion, then a graphically enhanced re-release of a critically acclaimed game that was marketed poorly (this is the narrative I've heard for BG&E) would make money by itself.

But they are much bigger, so you are right in this case.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 25, 2010

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I don't know. They're already releasing HD versions of the last gen Prince of Persia games and are supposedly doing the same with the Splinter Cells so it just might be seen as an additional revenue stream for them. Personally, I have my doubts the sequel will ever be released.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Hoping for a big sale tomorrow :)

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And BG&E HD is just further proof that it will be relatively soon. If I was to guess, it would be a 2011 summer release of BG&E HD combined with a big reveal at E3 followed by a holiday season release of BG&E 2. There's literally no reason to release a BG&E HD if it's not for marketing a sequel.
There's already some BG&E2 footage that has me psyched. I'll probably snap it up on steam the moment it comes out.

Now, if only Psychonauts would get some love.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

sethsez posted:

BG&E sucks on monitors wider than 4:3, because the game is 4:3 with letterboxing to make it widescreen, so if you have an ACTUAL wide screen you're going to get bars on all four sides.
There's a registry hack for that. Run "regedit"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ubisoft\Beyond Good & Evil\SettingsApplication.INI\Basic video
Create a DWORD value "NoBands" set to "1"

You should at least be able to get it stretched out of aspect ratio, but with no pillars or letterboxing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Take your mind off the Steam sale for a while because the log awaited sale has arrived!

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/age_of_wonders

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

This is a pretty retarded 30/50% sale. Why buy all three when all you really need is Shadow Magic? :sigh:

I bought PS:T but I'm holding off buying the rest of the D&D games as you just know they will have a 30/50% sale on the lot at some point in the future, and seeing how I already own BG1 and BG2 sans ToB on CD I'll just wait.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Megadyptes posted:

This is a pretty retarded 30/50% sale. Why buy all three when all you really need is Shadow Magic? :sigh:

Really? So there's no point in getting either of the other two? I'm mostly a single player gamer if that makes a difference.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005
I was thinking of only getting the first one, mainly because it has music by a composer I like :)

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Mr Right posted:

Really? So there's no point in getting either of the other two? I'm mostly a single player gamer if that makes a difference.
If you're really hankering for TBS games, then all of them are worth playing. It's just that if you only get one, Shadow Magic is by the far the best (it has the best balance and comes with a random map generator).

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

kuddles posted:

If you're really hankering for TBS games, then all of them are worth playing. It's just that if you only get one, Shadow Magic is by the far the best (it has the best balance and comes with a random map generator).

So, 7$ for the best one or 12-13$ for all three... Didn't people keep asking about the second one? Is it worth passing over? I never played any of those games back then.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Shadow Magic is basically an updated/expanded version of the second one with a new campaign and a random map generator.

As I understand it, if you just want to play multiplayer or random maps, or have to choose one, pick Shadow Magic. If you really like the campaign, get all three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Single-player games in AoW are much better played on random maps, anyway. I tried the campaigns but never managed to care much about then.

So I say: get Shadow Magic, forget the rest.