Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

cybrancyborg posted:

Okay so if I use calibre to convert pdfs, what relatively small ereader that's <150$? The Kindle wifi? Sony pocket reader? Expandable storage sounds nice but I don't know if I need it.

The Nook 3G (refurb) may still be on sale for $89 at overstock.com, otherwise the Kindle 3 WiFi is still one of the best buys at $139ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there any news about a Kindle price drop for Christmas?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

cybrancyborg posted:

Okay so if I use calibre to convert pdfs, what relatively small ereader that's <150$? The Kindle wifi? Sony pocket reader? Expandable storage sounds nice but I don't know if I need it.

You've spent about a week asking a question that could easily be answered in the OP

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Guilty posted:

Probably. a Tablet or e-reader of some sort will definitely make life infinitely easier for students. It's already pretty bad that I've got to pack a backpack and a messenger bag once or twice a week. Can't wait till I just need that kindle.

edit: I can really only speak for literature studies, but very frequently we're required to have a ton of books on hand in order to facilitate discussions or conferences, or even if we're doing the research it's a lot easier to have the primary source on hand. schlepping around a bag full of books is no fun at all.

I think it'd be a lot more useful for a literature student. Trying to read a scientific paper on a 6" Kindle is frustrating at best, though.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
So get the Kindle DX.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Personally, if I'm willing to pay $380 for a large screen reader, I'd rather pony up the extra $120 and get an iPad. It's an option, though.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Space Racist posted:

Personally, if I'm willing to pay $380 for a large screen reader, I'd rather pony up the extra $120 and get an iPad. It's an option, though.

Good call. At least then you could properly view PDFs.

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005
In the Black Friday madness I was able to get a Nook with WiFi from Wal-Mart for $89. It's proving to be exceptionally useful so far, but there's a lot of functionality I'd like to get out of it through rooting. I've looked through some different sites and I'm still not sure if it's possible, or how to do it. The serial number starts with 10038 (which I see was unrootable for a while and then cracked), but it also shipped with software version 1.5. I've found a rooted 1.5 update, but since the device is already running that firmware, what can I do?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I got my Kindle 3 today (WiFi only model), and I love it so far. Although it's very easy to use, my favorite thing so far was the unboxing. I swear I thought the Getting Started instructions were printed on the plastic screen protector. What a cool use of the screen tech.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Is there any way to remove a title from the main list when you put it into a collection? I'd like to arrange my books so that I can put several books in a series in one collection and not have them clutter up my main page.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
From the home page, go to the top and change the sort order to Collections (or anything except Most Recent First).

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

gmq posted:

Is there any news about a Kindle price drop for Christmas?

I'm actually more interested in a possible price drop tomorrow for "cyber monday" or whatever.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have a question that isn't so much about eReader hardware as it is DRM and reader software:

What are the options for Linux people? I bought a Kindle book that I wanted to read, but it turns out that Kindle For PC was broken under WINE in an update. I just checked Nook and see they don't have a Linux client, either.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Craptacular! posted:

I have a question that isn't so much about eReader hardware as it is DRM and reader software:

What are the options for Linux people? I bought a Kindle book that I wanted to read, but it turns out that Kindle For PC was broken under WINE in an update. I just checked Nook and see they don't have a Linux client, either.

None of the major stores have a reader for linux, it's bullcrap. Amazon is supposed to be coming out with a browser based Kindle app that will work on any platform but I have no idea when that would come out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So my Kindle just started loving up hardware wise where it would keep showing the previous page in the background. Needless to say, I've had the thing 10 days so that is frustrating. I found there is an experimental official software update, so I am seeing if that will fix it. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Software update fixed it, *phew*.

And finally updated the info on the Sony reader, the info provided was well written out so i just pasted it in as a quote. Thanks!

Edit again: I would love to use my Kindle as an RSS reader, but am not about to pay $1 per blog a month just to get news "conveniently." Anyone know of an easier/cheaper way than using the web browser (or even just setting the web browser for mobile websites only)?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 28, 2010

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit again: I would love to use my Kindle as an RSS reader, but am not about to pay $1 per blog a month just to get news "conveniently." Anyone know of an easier/cheaper way than using the web browser (or even just setting the web browser for mobile websites only)?

I've used Google Reader on my kindle 3 fairly succesfully, was there somnething in particular you didn't like?

I do generally like it better in "full screen" mode as described here, but seems pretty decent in general:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/simple-tip-turns-kindle-into-ultimate-news-reader/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to send corrections for a Kindle book? I have one (Anathema) that used negative dates in a few places, like "the year -1492", and they didn't put a proper space before the minus so it ends up as "the year-1492".

I know this is petty, but it's wrong dammit. And reliably wrong too, in the whole book, like it just got converted wrong.

If I complain, will they just refund me the money and take the book back?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess my question is, "is there any way to read a commercially bought eBook with Linux?" Both Amazon's and B&N's reader apps are a no-go on WINE, and from looking at Adobe's site it appears they haven't ported their reader software at all yet.

It looks like there's no encryption at all that can be read in Linux.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Craptacular! posted:

I guess my question is, "is there any way to read a commercially bought eBook with Linux?" Both Amazon's and B&N's reader apps are a no-go on WINE, and from looking at Adobe's site it appears they haven't ported their reader software at all yet.

The choices are basically strip the DRM and read it with calibre or run a Windows VM to use the official software.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

I've used Google Reader on my kindle 3 fairly succesfully, was there somnething in particular you didn't like?

I do generally like it better in "full screen" mode as described here, but seems pretty decent in general:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/simple-tip-turns-kindle-into-ultimate-news-reader/

This is great and about what I was looking for, I'll add it to the OP FAQs.

Edit:I am wanting to replace the screen savers on my Kindle 3, has anyone tried this yet?

http://ebookreadersresource.com/ebook-readers-blog/kindle-how-to/amazon-kindle-2-screensaver/

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 29, 2010

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Screen_Saver_Hack_for_all_2.x_and_3.x_Kindles

Use this guide instead.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Craptacular! posted:

The Kindle itself runs Linux, so there's your way.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Maneki Neko posted:

The problem with this is that the browser doesn't support multiple windows or tabs so if the feed makes you visit the site for the full article, you're SOL.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Captain Frigate posted:

I'm actually more interested in a possible price drop tomorrow for "cyber monday" or whatever.

I guess not. :smith:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I used this guide (actually this thread linked in the guide) before I even started reading anything on my Kindle.

It worked fine on a Kindle 3. Very easy.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smackfu posted:

Is there any way to send corrections for a Kindle book? I have one (Anathema) that used negative dates in a few places, like "the year -1492", and they didn't put a proper space before the minus so it ends up as "the year-1492".

I know this is petty, but it's wrong dammit. And reliably wrong too, in the whole book, like it just got converted wrong.

If I complain, will they just refund me the money and take the book back?

Use kindle-feedback@amazon.com - I sent in the location numbers, and I got a $5 gift certificate once. The second time I did it, I got nothing. YMMV

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

brylcreem posted:

Use kindle-feedback@amazon.com - I sent in the location numbers, and I got a $5 gift certificate once. The second time I did it, I got nothing. YMMV

You ever re-download the book later to see whether they fixed it? I never bother because I doubt it'd ever get changed.

losimagic
Aug 17, 2008
Is asking for people to show off their custom Kindle screensavers going off-topic? Would like to see what everyone's installed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

losimagic posted:

Is asking for people to show off their custom Kindle screensavers going off-topic? Would like to see what everyone's installed.

Go for it, heck I would like it because I need a few screen savers. Ralph Ellison your days are numbered...

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

So I had what's probably a stupid question: can the Nook Color change orientation on the fly by turning it as an iPad would? I see all the things Calibre has for converting CBR/CBZ files which makes me excited to read comics on it. But I wondered if anyone has actually had some hands on experience with this feature. Mainly, if I get to a splash page am I able to turn the Nook and have it fill the screen or am I stuck with a really small image that I can't get a look at it because the top/bottom of the screen are just black.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

So I had what's probably a stupid question: can the Nook Color change orientation on the fly by turning it as an iPad would? I see all the things Calibre has for converting CBR/CBZ files which makes me excited to read comics on it. But I wondered if anyone has actually had some hands on experience with this feature. Mainly, if I get to a splash page am I able to turn the Nook and have it fill the screen or am I stuck with a really small image that I can't get a look at it because the top/bottom of the screen are just black.

My experience so far has been that it does this with pdfs but does not seem to do it with epubs or Nook books.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Cael posted:

Trig Discipline posted:

My experience so far has been that it does this with pdfs but does not seem to do it with epubs or Nook books.
And their magazines but I assume those are just DRM'd PDFs.

Hope you like converting all your CBZs to PDF because the Nook Color can't run apps and won't view zips or even folders full of images sequentially.

Why not just wait for a real Android tablet and use Droid Comics Viewer on it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cardboard Box A posted:

because the Nook Color can't run apps

It can actually. It's been rooted and you can sideload android apps now.

So, you could easily run Droid Comic Viewer on it now assuming that it deals with the screen res ok.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm going to sideload a sandwich and a beer.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Friend is selling his 505 with a 8 gig memory stick on ebay for a decent price, if someone is interested.

Gonna go sideload a coke and some munchies. Working my way through the mistborn trilogy tonight :)

edit - reader sold to someone, and I finished the first book of the Mistborn trilogy. Pretty good :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 30, 2010

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
I've been reading info about the new Triton color E-ink (what little there is) and it's giving me pause when considering a Kindle 3. It would be nice for my RSS feeds. How long until a Kindle Color makes it to market?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's probably better to think about it this way.

How long until Amazon manages to leverage color content? Until then, we won't see a color Kindle.

The first hints of a color Kindle will be when we hear about Amazon cozying up to magazine publishers and/or graphic novel publishers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bull3964 posted:

It's probably better to think about it this way.

How long until Amazon manages to leverage color content? Until then, we won't see a color Kindle.

The first hints of a color Kindle will be when we hear about Amazon cozying up to magazine publishers and/or graphic novel publishers.

All Kindle titles do have color in the pictures enclosed as you can see in any Kindle application outside the physical devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

fishmech posted:

All Kindle titles do have color in the pictures enclosed as you can see in any Kindle application outside the physical devices.

Somehow I don't think they are going to launch a color reader only for color book covers though.

Color eink is still going to be expensive for awhile, so I don't see them creating a device around it until they have content to point at and go "see, this is why you need a color reader!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ara posted:

You ever re-download the book later to see whether they fixed it? I never bother because I doubt it'd ever get changed.

I actually just did - IT (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SR2PKG/) is still full of OCR errors. Misplaced italics, misplaced punctuation, "Deny" instead of "Derry", line breaks, missing spaces, all that poo poo. I started to put notes on the errors after the first couple of times, and in checking, I have 58 notes on http://kindle.amazon.com A few of them are genuine notes, though.