Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
The TiVo Premiere iPad app looks pretty sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pulled the trigger on a Premiere; I should have it Monday or Tuesday.

One more stupid question, although it probably doesn't matter since I've already sunk a pile of money into this -- does the Premiere still have dual buffers? When I had a dual tuner TiVo way back in the dark ages I loved the dual buffer feature. It was great being able to watch one show while letting a ballgame fill up the other buffer, and when a commercial break came on, switch over and watch all the plays at 2x speed.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
You'll have to get an M type cable card, and those have two tuners built into it. So the short answer is yes.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
I don't know about the Premiere, but my HD has dual buffering... so I would assume that the Premiere would as well.

(Yes, you will need a dual tuner card.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:science: The tuners are in the Tivo (or other CableCard device) itself, the card only performs decryption of digital channels.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
And the TiVo Premiere only takes M cards anyway, so no matter what you're getting two streams.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

OK, I just hated how with the U-Verse and DirecTV DVRs, if I wanted dual buffers (and not just the ability to record 2x at once) I had to actually set up recordings for both shows and then go to the now playing list to switch between them, rather than being able to just hit the down arrow on the TiVo and jump from one to the other.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Tivo Premier is $299 if you don't want a contract? What the heck are they putting in that box?

I see they now have a $0 + $20 / month contract plan, but still. A DVR really shouldn't be that complicated nowadays, especially compared to the original Tivos.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's probably the same reason why you can pick up an ATSC tuner for $50 with clear QAM capability but then have to spend several hundred for a cablecard tuner.

CableLabs certification.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

OK, I just hated how with the U-Verse and DirecTV DVRs, if I wanted dual buffers (and not just the ability to record 2x at once) I had to actually set up recordings for both shows and then go to the now playing list to switch between them, rather than being able to just hit the down arrow on the TiVo and jump from one to the other.

Directv DVR's support dual buffers

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/article.jsp?assetId=P6300172

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Directv DVR's support dual buffers

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/article.jsp?assetId=P6300172

From looking around, they never got around to adding that feature until a fall '09 firmware update and I was long gone from DirecTV by then. Took 'em long enough.

Liking the Premiere so far, although I've only had it for 2 days.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

smackfu posted:

The Tivo Premier is $299 if you don't want a contract? What the heck are they putting in that box?

I see they now have a $0 + $20 / month contract plan, but still. A DVR really shouldn't be that complicated nowadays, especially compared to the original Tivos.

The Premier is $99 on amazon. I am going to pick one up to replace one of my comcast poo poo dvdrs

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kri kri posted:

The Premier is $99 on amazon. I am going to pick one up to replace one of my comcast poo poo dvdrs

I really wouldn't do that. That's the subsidized Tivo that requires a $19.99 /month subscription fee (as opposed to the $12.95 one) and a 1 year subscription contract.

The real rub is you will be paying $19.99 /month forever afterward. You can't downgrade to the lower sub fee even after the contract expires.

If you plan on keeping the thing longer than 2 years, then the $299 one is the way to go.

On a completely different note, Tivo needs to implement a web browser or start developing more apps (and their corresponding agreements). Why? Many providers (either MSOs or network providers) are starting to put their OnDemand content online. This is could be a huge selling point for Tivo as it knocks out one of the common complaints.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 1, 2010

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The real rub is you will be paying $19.99 /month forever afterward. You can't downgrade to the lower sub fee even after the contract expires.
Is the box's serial number marked for life at $19.95? If you bought one at $99, fulfilled your contract terms, and then decided to flip it on Craigslist, is the buyer stuck at that rate too?

When I bought my Premiere I bought with lifetime, but I kind of worry now that if a year down the line I wanted to get a used Premiere for my other TV I might get screwed... apparently the boxes on the $19.95 rate don't qualify for the multi-service discount.

On the other hand if TiVo decides to start selling new models with new features every year, $99 up front and $20/month isn't half bad to be able to upgrade every year without a huge money sink or long term committment. As it is my cable company charges $15/month for a Moxi (with a lovely cut-down firmware compared to the retail Moxi), so having decent features is worth a few dollars more.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 5, 2010

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

kitten smoothie posted:

Is the box's serial number marked for life at $19.95? If you bought one at $99, fulfilled your contract terms, and then decided to flip it on Craigslist, is the buyer stuck at that rate too?

When I bought my Premiere I bought with lifetime, but I kind of worry now that if a year down the line I wanted to get a used Premiere for my other TV I might get screwed... apparently the boxes on the $19.95 rate don't qualify for the multi-service discount.

On the other hand if TiVo decides to start selling new models with new features every year, $99 up front and $20/month isn't half bad to be able to upgrade every year without a huge money sink or long term committment. As it is my cable company charges $15/month for a Moxi (with a lovely cut-down firmware compared to the retail Moxi), so having decent features is worth a few dollars more.

If you're a customer for at least a year, maybe longer, you can call and do the deal where you say you're going to cancel because while you like your tivo, money is getting tight and you think you'll have to go with the cable company box because it's cheaper.

They'll put you on hold and come back with a cheaper monthly price. I was paying $5 a month till I switched to lifetime. I was also a customer for a couple of years.

Just something to think about.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

kitten smoothie posted:

Much like a cellphone, you can get whatever rates they are offering once your contract is up.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I called TiVo to ask about this, and their first-tier phone support believes that's not the case - if you get a subsidized TiVo with $19.95 payments, you're locked into that rate for the life of the box, and can't switch to a cheaper rate. They sell it as "you're guaranteed never to pay more than $19.95," of course, but they were pretty explicit on how you're guaranteed never to pay less than that either.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Of course they are going to say that, since their profit model is based on the subscription price they charge you. As with most companies offering a service, they would rather make 12.95 a month than 0.00 a month.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Since TiVo explicitly says the pricing will be X, it's safest to assume the pricing will be X. I'd rather not have to depend on them being randomly kind (or my having to call them up and threaten to cancel and/or be an rear end in a top hat).

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Since TiVo explicitly says the pricing will be X, it's safest to assume the pricing will be X. I'd rather not have to depend on them being randomly kind (or my having to call them up and threaten to cancel and/or be an rear end in a top hat).

Well, if you don't want to ever haggle or negotiate, of course you'll always pay more. I also didn't threaten to cancel, nor was I an rear end in a top hat. I was extremely polite and said I liked tivo but the savings by switching was pretty big, so to save money I'd need to cancel.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Pulled the trigger on a Premiere, grabbing a Slide remote on Amazon for $65..

If this thing is even mediocre it'll blow my piece of poo poo Comcast HD DVR out of the water. I'm amped.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

traveling midget posted:

Pulled the trigger on a Premiere, grabbing a Slide remote on Amazon for $65..

If this thing is even mediocre it'll blow my piece of poo poo Comcast HD DVR out of the water. I'm amped.

Having been using the TiVo Premiere for several months now, my thoughts:
1) It's very nice.
2) The HD interface looks very nice, and the picture-in-menu is great.
3) That there are still SD menus is very bad design.
4) That the SD menus are much faster than the HD menus is nice, but makes me sad that the HD menus aren't fast.
5) It still makes me happy how fast it can reorder and change season passes; moving one from the bottom to the top on my HD would take several minutes of processing.
6) Typing is abominable on the stock remote; literally one to two seconds between letter entries. Enjoy your bluetooth.
7) With pytivo and streambaby and auto-push and Netflix, the Tivo has become the sole center of our home theater area. All it's truly missing is Hulu support, and of course a faster interface.
8) I suggest either modding it or getting the Western Digital addon drive, because you will burn through the hard disk space pretty fast. Ours is steady at around 40%, and we watch most things as they come in, and without the extender drive that would be well over 100% capacity.

My first TiVo was the HD (series 3) and I loved it. The Premiere doesn't hold the same lurve that the series 3 had, but that's just because I can more easily see the flaws and be annoyed at how most of TiVo's development team appears to have been asleep for the last three years. But, that said, it's still very good, was an improvement over the HD, and will undoubtedly make you very happy.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
FUK YEAH, IPAD APP FINALLY RELEASED

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I haven't had a TV in the last 3 years and haven't had a TiVo in the last 5, but I'm thinking about getting a new HDTV and a series 3 soon.

I see they now have subsidized models that cost $20 a month. I'd rather not do that and pay either the $13 a month or a year in advance for cheaper. Can I do that with the Premiere XL sold on Amazon or is that the $20 p/m 2 year contract one?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Haggins posted:

I haven't had a TV in the last 3 years and haven't had a TiVo in the last 5, but I'm thinking about getting a new HDTV and a series 3 soon.

I see they now have subsidized models that cost $20 a month. I'd rather not do that and pay either the $13 a month or a year in advance for cheaper. Can I do that with the Premiere XL sold on Amazon or is that the $20 p/m 2 year contract one?

99% sure that those'd be the $13/mo. ones. Pretty sure only the non-XL ones are the $20/mo. ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Deathlove posted:

Pretty sure only the non-XL ones are the $20/mo. ones.

Nope, they have subsidized XL versions too.

https://www3.tivo.com/store/premiere.do

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=106292&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1518977&highlight=

TiVo has signed a deal with Charter to be the next provider of leased DVRs. I guess now that Paul Allen doesn't own the Moxi platform anymore, it's ok for Charter to dump it.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I've decided to axe my lovely cablevision DVR and get a tivo, since it will slightly lower my monthly bill. I think I'm going to try and grab a used TiVO and opt for the $13/mo option. I'd like to record in HD. I'd like to grab podcasts and content from G4 if possible. Not really interested in hulu since I can get most of that stuff from netflix on demand. Should I be looking at a series 4 HD? Def need Cablecard support and HDMI.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 26, 2011

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

SnatchRabbit posted:

I've decided to axe my lovely cablevision DVR and get a tivo, since it will slightly lower my monthly bill. I think I'm going to try and grab a used TiVO and opt for the $13/mo option. I'd like to record in HD. I'd like to grab podcasts and content from G4 if possible. Not really interested in hulu since I can get most of that stuff from netflix on demand. Should I be looking at a series 4 HD? Def need Cablecard support and HDMI.

You can do that stuff with a series 3 and newer.

kitten smoothie posted:

http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=106292&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1518977&highlight=

TiVo has signed a deal with Charter to be the next provider of leased DVRs. I guess now that Paul Allen doesn't own the Moxi platform anymore, it's ok for Charter to dump it.

So unless I get a charter tivo, I still won't be able to access VOD on my current tivo?s

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 26, 2011

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

chemosh6969 posted:

You can do that stuff with a series 3 and newer.

Ok. Is there any advantage to the premier? From the spec sheet it looks like the only benefit is a prettier UI with a live TV window.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

SnatchRabbit posted:

Ok. Is there any advantage to the premier? From the spec sheet it looks like the only benefit is a prettier UI with a live TV window.

If you have an iPad Tivo's app only works with a Premiere.

Otherwise not really, has a larger internal hdd for the non-XL version. All of my friends with a Premiere have turned off the HD UI because it's so slow and just use the classic SD UI like Series 3.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Tivac posted:

Otherwise not really, has a larger internal hdd for the non-XL version. All of my friends with a Premiere have turned off the HD UI because it's so slow and just use the classic SD UI like Series 3.

Aw, dang. I was hoping to use the iPad app, but I guess I could live without it.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
With the iPad app the interface is a dream come true, though; you basically never have to use the on-box UI again. The only thing you can't control through the app (and this may actually be possible and I just don't know how to do it) is play shared MP3s or view shared photos.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

trdn89 posted:

With the iPad app the interface is a dream come true, though; you basically never have to use the on-box UI again. The only thing you can't control through the app (and this may actually be possible and I just don't know how to do it) is play shared MP3s or view shared photos.

I have heard this and much to my chagrin it has spurred me to look very closely at Tivo's subsidized Premiere boxes. Over the 2 year contract you end up paying a little over $200 for the regular Premiere in terms of extra monthly fees above the normal $12/mo for one year.

That's not a bad deal at all, especially with the iPad app being so good.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Tivac posted:

They've done some updating and it's not as bad as it used to be. For the most part it runs about the same but every once in a while, it'll slow down when doing something, like deleting all the shows in a group.

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

trdn89 posted:

Can you control volume on a receiver with it? I run the TiVo signal to a receiver, then to my TV. Maybe I'm super spergy about volume, but I like to change it constantly.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure you can't - the app just controls the Tivo box. It's more of a supplemental control method, although since I have my iPad on the couch constantly so's I can read Instapaper while watching TV it's still plenty convenient.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chemosh6969 posted:

So unless I get a charter tivo, I still won't be able to access VOD on my current tivo?s

I'm guessing not. TiVo has a Premiere that's made just for RCN, and retail boxes can't access VOD while the RCN-provided one can.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you're looking to upgrade, today's (Feburary 5) Woot special is a $200 Premiere XL that'll take the 12.95/month service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Now that Amazon is doing streaming anyone know when Tivo will get an updated app?

• Locked thread