Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty happy with mine. Will be even happier when Hulu+ comes in, and/or when it gains the ability to run XBMC. I mean, it's a fully-featured $199 HTPC. I haven't had any problems at all with mine. The only gripe is having to go a little out of the way for my local content -- which, to me, is a pretty small issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA

SatanX posted:

Bought from Amazon and I'm really not impressed. I see where they are going with it and personally, I think they are catering to the wrong market.

Going to send it back, spend the extra $100 and get another C-200.

If they really get it together, Id consider getting it again, but not with the way it is now.
This thing must be really bad if you're going to return it and buy a popcorn hour.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

n0n0 posted:

I mean, it's a fully-featured $199 HTPC.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

TheScott2K posted:

It is. At least it is for my purposes... and it's only a matter of time before somebody figures out how to put XBMC on there. See -- in my mind, HTPC doesn't need to have television capabilities. In a lot of peoples minds, that's a necessary component.

Was it for one of these reasons that I got kermit?

edit: My bad, I hadn't looked at your troll-oriented rap sheet.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 1, 2010

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie

Calculon posted:

This thing must be really bad if you're going to return it and buy a popcorn hour.

You haven't played with a C-200, have you?

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA

SatanX posted:

You haven't played with a C-200, have you?
That thing looks like something a member on the XBMC forum would sell out of his basement to other forum members. I'm sure it works well with playing local media files but I don't trust the future support of a company that is basically just reselling and supporting imported goods in the US; I guess if it works for your specific needs I won't criticize but I have always wanted something that does exactly what Boxee claims to do and it's disappointing that they haven't worked out all the kinks. I'd say buy the Google TV but they forget to negotiate streaming media contracts for their streaming media player. Or include a functional local media player.

:suicide:

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie

Calculon posted:

That thing looks like something a member on the XBMC forum would sell out of his basement to other forum members. I'm sure it works well with playing local media files but I don't trust the future support of a company that is basically just reselling and supporting imported goods in the US; I guess if it works for your specific needs I won't criticize but I have always wanted something that does exactly what Boxee claims to do and it's disappointing that they haven't worked out all the kinks. I'd say buy the Google TV but they forget to negotiate streaming media contracts for their streaming media player. Or include a functional local media player.

:suicide:

So your answer would be 'no'.

Take it from someone who owns both. Boxee feels more like a toy. As for support, Ive yet to see a company put out more updates for their devices. It may not serve your purpose, but don't talk like its a piece a poo poo. I have 9 TB of full DVD and Bluray ISOs on a WHS. After playing with XBMC years ago I figured I would give Boxee a shot. Stutters on DVDs and defaults to stereo on every Bluray iso. Not to mention, I've yet to get DTS-HD or True-HD to work. C-200 work's beautifully with that, plus bluray iso navigation.

I understand you are looking for more of a web streaming device and the C-200 wont meet your needs there, but don't rip apart a product because you've seen a picture of it.

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA
I've kept up on the Porcorn products over the years and have read mostly complaints from people over support and problems with the interface and bugs/etc. Their website is not doing them any favors, they can't be bothered to design something that is reasonably professional and up to date but I'm supposed to believe this product is going to be professionally designed. I'm also not looking for mainly a web streaming device, I'm looking for a device that does both functions well, leaning toward local. I may not horde Bluray ISOs on a 9TB File Server but I do have local, high definition video that I want to play back.

I will concede that another concern is not wanting to have some weird, complicated box in the living room that nobody but myself can operate. I'm looking at the interface in a video and though it does look better than it did two years ago, it doesn't even match XBMC in quality. I know you can skin it but a 300 dollar box should come with something better. You're only complaint that won't be fixed in a few updates is the bluray iso navigation, and no offense but most people don't have 9TB bluray iso collections. The popcorn probably had that added in an update, much like I'm sure Boxee will in the future.

We definitely have different needs and I'm not saying yours aren't valid, but frankly something like the Boxee is going to suit a lot more people, especially if they work out the bugs and add more features and streaming partners.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Boxee is pretty good for me right now. It's basicly a HD version of my old Xbox with XBMC, with alot of bonus internet content. You cannot build a computer to do what the boxee box does for anywhere near the cost (and if you do it won't be as neatly packaged or have a great remote). Netflix would be nice, but I have that on my PS3. Hulu support would be killer but we'll see.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Citycop posted:

You cannot build a computer to do what the boxee box does for anywhere near the cost

The Acer revo is $200 and does XBMC, Hulu, Netflix, youtube, etc etc

It might not be as elegant but its drat sure more useful than BB is.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

kri kri posted:

That's always been my issue trying to source a decent HTPC. Boxee Box: 200 in the US, 220 in Canada.

Acer Revo (not sure which model you're referring to, so..) $200 in the US, $300-$450 in Canada.

The markup on prebuilt systems is just stupid here.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Is the Revo even a viable option? I admit to knowing next to nothing about HTPCs but just trying to Google around for one so I'd have something to be bitter about, all I'm finding is out-of-stock pages and no-name webshops.

I'm satisfied with the Boxee so far, warts and all. I don't have a surround sound setup or any Blu-ray files, and the playback capability is at least better than the Xbox 360 I was using for UPnP streaming before. The only thing that really annoys me is the browser, which is improvable but I understand why they might not bother. There doesn't seem to be a rush of people moving to make apps for it like the old XBMC days though, so I'm not sure how much the library will stack up to other devices later on. Sort of like PlayOn, they had a rush of plugins and scripts being added monthly when it was new, and now most of those are dead and the influx of new or updated apps is barely a trickle.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

CrashCat posted:

There doesn't seem to be a rush of people moving to make apps for it like the old XBMC days though, so I'm not sure how much the library will stack up to other devices later on. Sort of like PlayOn, they had a rush of plugins and scripts being added monthly when it was new, and now most of those are dead and the influx of new or updated apps is barely a trickle.

Boxee, the software, is in kind of a weird limbo right now, where only the Box is on 1.0. I imagine a lot of the app developers have been working on the PC/Mac/etc versions, which are all being held back until next year. I'd expect more app development when they catch up.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

CrashCat posted:

Is the Revo even a viable option? I admit to knowing next to nothing about HTPCs but just trying to Google around for one so I'd have something to be bitter about, all I'm finding is out-of-stock pages and no-name webshops.

I am getting my parents an HTPC for Christmas and was stuck between a Boxee Box vs Revo w/ XBMC. Local media was likely going to be the most watched by far and I went with the Revo after the Boxee Box reviews weren't stellar. I'm happy with my decision. Getting XBMC to behave exactly how I want it to has been a fun challenge and I'm likely going to share all I did in the XBMC thread when it's finished. It plays everything and I haven't noticed any technical limitations of the Revo getting in my way (I own the 3700). Recording OTA while watching a 1080p mkv might tax the system, I don't know. I am not looking for any tuner functionality so it's very viable.

That said I'm looking forward to trying future versions of Boxee as the software matures. Eventually everyone will be watching TV this way.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Chaucer posted:

I am getting my parents an HTPC for Christmas and was stuck between a Boxee Box vs Revo w/ XBMC. Local media was likely going to be the most watched by far and I went with the Revo after the Boxee Box reviews weren't stellar. I'm happy with my decision. Getting XBMC to behave exactly how I want it to has been a fun challenge and I'm likely going to share all I did in the XBMC thread when it's finished. It plays everything and I haven't noticed any technical limitations of the Revo getting in my way (I own the 3700). Recording OTA while watching a 1080p mkv might tax the system, I don't know. I am not looking for any tuner functionality so it's very viable.

That said I'm looking forward to trying future versions of Boxee as the software matures. Eventually everyone will be watching TV this way.

I would hop right onto XBMC if you could watch Netflix or Hulu without having to minimize it down and open Internet Explorer. I have no idea why they don't at least do a skinned browser or something fancy that you could do from within XBMC. Their devs get all "PLATFORM AGNOSTIC OPEN SOURCE BLEFHHFIWEf" whenever someone mentions it and honestly I think that may be their only flaw.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Chaucer posted:

I am getting my parents an HTPC for Christmas...

Just curious, when they open it on Christmas morning are you going to have to explain to them what an HTPC is?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

kri kri posted:

Occasionally a retailer will sell the Revo for 200 bucks, but it's not an all-the-time thing. The price is usually closer to $230 or $240 for the R1600 (which is the slower version).

In addition to the $200, you also need to get an IR receiver and a remote. The $200 will also not include wireless networking.

Why are people insisting on hating the boxee box when it's really not that bad? In fact, it's actually kind of good. $200 for a box that requires minimal configuration, a pretty bitchin remote control, a decent feature-set and a lot of room for growth... not bad.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I don't think Boxee is going to have a direct vein into the xbmc crowd. You can't get much geekier than those guys and anything short of soldering will probably not cut the mustard.

I had an XBMC box on my TV for years and it was more of a hobby than a device. There is no way I could teach my parents to use it, much less keep it going on their own after the fact. The boxee is not attempting to best that, it simply does what it does.

However, it SHOULD absolutely play netflix and hulu. That's what's killing it right now.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

TheScott2K posted:

Just curious, when they open it on Christmas morning are you going to have to explain to them what an HTPC is?

They've seen and are impressed with my PS3 with the PS3 Media Server/TVersity setup. I think they can handle the configuration I've built plus I'm gifting them a Harmony remote so it's even more brain-dead simple. I've really tried to build it more as an appliance like a TiVo and less like a full-functioning computer.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I would hop right onto XBMC if you could watch Netflix or Hulu without having to minimize it down and open Internet Explorer. I have no idea why they don't at least do a skinned browser or something fancy that you could do from within XBMC. Their devs get all "PLATFORM AGNOSTIC OPEN SOURCE BLEFHHFIWEf" whenever someone mentions it and honestly I think that may be their only flaw.

For what it's worth, XBMC can play Hulu videos (install bluecop's repo-browser and install Hulu like any other plugin). It's just kept quiet in the hopes that Hulu won't shut it down.

ffej
Dec 28, 2003

ffej posted:

I'm considering exchanging mine as the fan noise is nearly unbearable. I have one friend that has a loud fan and another that doesn't hear the fan at all...so either his fan isn't working or he has a device that doesn't have the same issue as me.

Does anyone else have a loud fan? Am I going to exchange it and just get another one with a loud fan?

Just an update. I exchanged my Boxee last night and this new one is only half as loud as the old one so I am happy. I would still like one like my friends where he doesn't hear the fan at all but the current noise is tolerable. I can now leave the TV on at a decent volume and not be distracted.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ffej posted:

Just an update. I exchanged my Boxee last night and this new one is only half as loud as the old one so I am happy. I would still like one like my friends where he doesn't hear the fan at all but the current noise is tolerable. I can now leave the TV on at a decent volume and not be distracted.

Being RF, you could always sock it behind the tv.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just picked up the last one at Fry's, we'll see how it goes tonight. Theoretically you can plug a wmc compatible ir receiver in to a usb port for logitech harmony control, we'll see if the one I already have works. It took a couple of days to decide between the boxee, wdtv live, popbox, or C-200, and of those the boxee won out with feature set and lack of bugs/issues that affect what I want to do.

I'm tired of loving with my htpc, I just want poo poo to work.

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.
I can confirm that a Windows Media Center IR Receiver works with a Boxee Box. I think I have a Dell one I found on eBay for $5 however long ago.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I'm really confused how Hulu can shut something like this down. I mean, worst case scenario can't you just open up the Hulu page in a browser and then full screen it?

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

BiohazrD posted:

I'm really confused how Hulu can shut something like this down. I mean, worst case scenario can't you just open up the Hulu page in a browser and then full screen it?

Broswers identify themselves through certain things I know nothing about, a Hulu blocks them based on those things.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LittleCat posted:

Broswers identify themselves through certain things I know nothing about, a Hulu blocks them based on those things.

It's not even just the browser. Flash itself reports on the platform it is running on.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

And why doesn't Boxee just change the user agent/platform string to make it seem like it's on IE/Windows?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

And why doesn't Boxee just change the user agent/platform string to make it seem like it's on IE/Windows?

bull3964 posted:

Flash itself reports on the platform it is running on.

Also, Boxee theoretically (if they have half a brain) want to keep the hacker bullshit to a minimum, since these are companies they want to do business with in the future.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

n0n0 posted:

Why are people insisting on hating the boxee box when it's really not that bad? In fact, it's actually kind of good. $200 for a box that requires minimal configuration, a pretty bitchin remote control, a decent feature-set and a lot of room for growth... not bad.

I was all for mine until it froze up and bricked itself. The fact that it has a fan tells me that the manufacturer anticipated heat issues. Also, the form factor is loving stupid.

However, it really did have a nice interface and I wish that mine hadn't poo poo itself because I was loving it up until then. I replaced it with a WD TV Live and, although it plays everything just fine, the experience is not nearly as nice as Boxee.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can someone tell me or point me to info regarding the compatibility between the Boxee and NAS drives ? I need to buy a nas soon as my usb drive is almost full. I figure NAS is the way to go, but I'd like to know which ones the boxee can work with ? Or do they use some standard file system ?

So far I've looked at the acer and the netgear. Is there something cheaper ? I don't really want to pay $500 for a chassis to hold harddrives. Just need something that can stream 1080p movies and be seen by the boxee.

Edit: Found a netgear duo for $229 at a local canadian non-bigbox computer shop. http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38866&vpn=RND2000-100NAS&manufacture=Netgear

Would this be a good solution ? Is it much more of a hassle to use than a usb drive after setup ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 3, 2010

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

jonathan posted:

Would this be a good solution ? Is it much more of a hassle to use than a usb drive after setup ?

Any consumer grade nas will be running samba/cifs, the standard windows file sharing protocol which boxee supports just fine.

Get a nas with 4+ bays if you can swing it, you'd be surprised just how quickly they can fill up.

Edit: This is a good thread to read if you are interested in a nas box.

Also, doesn't look like my Rosewill MCE remote works. The boxee log file shows that it registers as an LIRC device, but as soon as I send an IR command the light on the receiver goes solid and nothing happens. Not too concerned, I imagine either broader support will be added or a list will be compiled of known good working ir receivers.

Edit2: if you have a boxee box you owe it to yourself to add the navi-x repository right loving now.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 4, 2010

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I know a Boxee can see shared network drives.

But can other computers on the network see the USB drives attached to the Boxee as a network drive?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Ziploc posted:

But can other computers on the network see the USB drives attached to the Boxee as a network drive?

Yes you can!

Edit: It's global r/w by default, but you can set a username/password.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 4, 2010

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Ziploc posted:

If you happen to have a Mac, the mac will see the free space on the Boxee instead of the free space on the networked USB drives attached to the Boxee. This makes it impossible to drag-and-drop files from a Mac to the Boxee.

Other than that, it works fine.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

n0n0 posted:

If you happen to have a Mac, the mac will see the free space on the Boxee instead of the free space on the networked USB drives attached to the Boxee. This makes it impossible to drag-and-drop files from a Mac to the Boxee.

Other than that, it works fine.

That sounds... Odd. Thanks for the info though.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Ziploc posted:

That sounds... Odd. Thanks for the info though.
I understand that using cp in terminal to copy files is a workaround to the problem, but I haven't tried it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
From my 30-second testing, it looks like what it does is have a persistent share that any external hard drives get mounted to a subfolder beneath that. Apparently osx' samba implementation doesn't know how to properly handle symlinks/sub folder mounts.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does anyone know how to reset the time the box scans for new files without re adding all the sources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Should I bother upgrading my network to wireless N, or will this thing handle a bridged wireless G network just fine?

• Locked thread