Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
There is no device invented that can measure the hate we all have for that man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

blambert posted:

The Newsnight special interview with Christopher Hitchens is possibly the best interview I have ever seen.

Watch: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wkrbk/Newsnight_Paxman_Meets_Hitchens_A_Newsnight_Special/

this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'd say Kelvin MacKenzie is worse than Piers Morgan. Piers at least has been kind enough to gently caress off to America.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Unless I missed something, Piers Morgan never ran a front-page story claiming that 95 people had been killed by their own mates and then beat up and urinated on people trying to save the lives of the dead, nor did he run a front-page story openly celebrating the deaths of 320 foreigners in one of the more ridiculous wars of the 20th century.

He's a complete plonker, to be sure, but even he's not in Mackenzie's league.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, and for a couple of years at least, Morgan did try to make the paper he edited less reliant on sensationalist, vacuous crap and attempted to improve the actual quality of the news content. Didn't last long but I'm still amazed he even bothered to try. He's still terrible, mind.

As for the rest, one of these days I expect Littlejohn, MacKenzie, Gaunt and Phillips will merge into some kind of hideous, bile-spewing Voltron/Devastator creature and go on a rampage hunting down Guardian readers or something.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

lazyjane posted:

Hello, fellow Boltonian! Where in Bolton are you from? Just watched it and didn't realise Alan Clough was actually going to be on the programme.

I'm in Horwich, I remember watching the Bolton Evening News website stream of it when it was happening.

I was a bit 50/50 about it all. At some points the police were unfair on people and some looked like they were out for scrap, the words they used at times were threats waiting to be reacted upon.

But after watching the whole series I'm not sure that I can blame them to be honest. They don't half put up with a lot of crap from the public, there were some perfect examples last night. No doubt there have been 'events' like this in the past where things have gone horribly wrong, so they just have to go off what they've experienced in the past.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Frankie Boyle's new programme on Channel 4 in a minute.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Was just gonna say, whats the bet that its going to be a bit crap?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've already turned it off.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
It's really bad.

Edit: Rab Florence is in it.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
Wow, it really is bad. The sketches are ridiculously poo poo, like they're written by a 15 year old (or Frankie Boyle).

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Houdini posted:

It's really bad.

The stand-up bits are good, unfortunately they're identical to the DVD he released last week. The sketches are absolutely poo poo.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Need to watch Frankie Boyle thing, but I am scared it will be poo poo. I went to see Frankie Boyle the other day, and he was describing a sketch about a little girl walking in whilst her mum is loving her dad with a dildo. Sounded like it's going purely for shock value.

Doombrain
Jun 6, 2007
Lolocaust
I'm glad others are finding it a bit poo poo too. I wasn't sure if I had lost my sense of humour or if it really is just a bit poo poo.

Shame that. Quite like Frankie Boyle.

e: Looking forward to that Morgana thing though. If it's half an hour of her being a convincing Fearne Cotton injuring herself, I will be happy.

Doombrain fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 30, 2010

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Shite. He's like a lovely internet troll and not a comedian.
*Tells a joke and replaces the punchline with 'mentally ill' or 'sexual assault'*

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Yeah... not great is it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Bloody hell, as poo poo as this is it looks 1000% better than the abortion that's on next.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

A John Leslie rape joke in 2010.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is that the Morgana show thing they've been showing bizzare ads for? Yeah it looked poo poo and I thought Holly Walsh was in it but she isn't apparently, yay.

Woah a gay cowboy joke, truly this is the cutting edge.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 30, 2010

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Houdini posted:

A John Leslie rape joke in 2010.

Within the first 5 minutes he covered the comedic originality of the pope being a paedophile and something about susan boyle.

I decided that if he couldn't be hosed to make an effort on the first episode of his own new series, then I couldn't be hosed to watch it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This is so so bad. Not because it's offensive. But because it's loving shite. I bet he's a dick head in real life.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Dunno if anybody cares but you can buy Friends seasons 1-10 for 20 loving quid on Tesco online.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Has there ever been a good sketch show fronted by a woman? That's not a rhetorical question, I genuinely want to know.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Has there ever been a good sketch show fronted by a woman? That's not a rhetorical question, I genuinely want to know.

Smack the Pony.

Doombrain
Jun 6, 2007
Lolocaust
Smack the Pony.

efb

Doombrain fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 30, 2010

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Dunno if anybody cares but you can buy Friends seasons 1-10 for 20 loving quid on Tesco online.

drat my girlfriend's mum paid like £40 for it the other week :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This is not good either :(

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

With 9% quidco.

You'd be annoyed if you bought Frankie Boyle's new DVD after watching that show. He's doing the same jokes.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

A5H posted:

This is not good either :(

I had to turn over halfway through the X-Factor sketch. loving abysmal.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Young Plumber of the Year on BBC Three. :stare:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
So channel 4 going for the unfunniest hour on tv then. It's a bold strategy i'll give them that.

Also agreeing that Smack the Pony was fantastic.

edit: Oh and it's followed by the big bang theory. Make that 1.5 hours.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I enjoyed the Knight Rider piss take but unless you have Chris Morris working on the team your dark humour might just tank heavily.

Also, he plugged his DVD at the end of the first half. Talk about selling out.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

blambert posted:

The Newsnight special interview with Christopher Hitchens is possibly the best interview I have ever seen.

Watch: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wkrbk/Newsnight_Paxman_Meets_Hitchens_A_Newsnight_Special/

I'd given up hope of getting this kind of in-depth content from anywhere other than Youtube. Nice to be proven wrong here. I haven't watched it yet but the video of Hitch debating Blair is up on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xIfqXZuRcA

Hoisin Crispy Owl
Jan 1, 2010
Didn't enjoy Tramadol Nights as much as I'd hoped. The jokes were outdated, and the sketches, unlike Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, went on far too long. It seems although he dislikes the BBC for asking him to tone down his material, Mock The Week kept him from using outdated material. Plus I found the Brokeback Mountain sketch to just be wholly uncomfortable and homophobic.

Also I didn't get The Green Mile sketch at all. What was that black stuff? And why does he keep saying 'fatherfucker'? Am I too old to get Frankie Boyle now?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

keveh posted:

I'm in Horwich, I remember watching the Bolton Evening News website stream of it when it was happening.

I was a bit 50/50 about it all. At some points the police were unfair on people and some looked like they were out for scrap, the words they used at times were threats waiting to be reacted upon.

But after watching the whole series I'm not sure that I can blame them to be honest. They don't half put up with a lot of crap from the public, there were some perfect examples last night. No doubt there have been 'events' like this in the past where things have gone horribly wrong, so they just have to go off what they've experienced in the past.

I just... hate... the general public.

Bloody hell that UAF bloke reminded me of Keanu from Saxondale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imVngLpqEHU

Also, just napalm the EDL already, Jesus wept.

Gasmask fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 1, 2010

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Battle for Barking on More4 True Stories documenting general election campaigns of Nick Griffin and Margaret Hodge. Very good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Alright own up, who the gently caress is voting for Aggro Santos? Who even knows who he is? I am utterly baffled by him being in the show still. Sure if it was voting people off like Big Brother but not voting to keep someone, people are actually paying for him to be in there?!

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
I dunno, I kinda liked Tramadol Nights. The Knight Rider sketch was pretty good. I certainly see all of your points though, most of the sketches miss the mark, there is far too much repetition of old material and a lot of the edgier jokes are quite tiresome. It entertained me for half an hour anyway.

Lasted about four seconds into The Morgana Show though. Christ.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The concept of the Knight Rider sketch was great, but unfortunately the execution was piss poor. It definitely could have done with having a couple of minutes edited out to tighten it up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
I quite enjoyed the Morgana show, Lady Gaga going past on a lawn mower had me in stitches.

I saw Frankie Boyle live last week, his show was literally parts of his stand up with poo poo sketches thrown in. Very disappointed. Infact I wasn't too impressed with his stand up, he still did jokes about Jade Goody for god sake.