Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jibo posted:

I'm sorry. ZoE1 was a crappy game. I understand there are a lot of people who share my opinion who love the second one and I can accept that, but I refuse to believe there's anyone outside of the hardcore Otaku crowd who like the first one.

I thought it was passably fun. The sequel is better in every single regard and completely dwarfs the original, but I wouldn't say the first was an Otaku-Only experience. Granted I skipped every cutscene cause those were bad.

The GBA tactics game, Fist of Mars, was amazing in the sense that they implemented a feature which meant the player always took 0 damage and the enemy always got hit, typically for critical damage. I still do not understand how that passed testing, but whatever I love me some unlimited winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Barudak posted:

I thought it was passably fun. The sequel is better in every single regard

Even writing and acting?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

Even writing and acting?

Yep. The protagonist of 2 is, to quote EGM, a hairy-balled hero and not a whiny little kid.

Wash your hands man
Dec 28, 2005
My favorite color is pants!

Policenaut posted:

Liked it better in La Mulana.

While we are talking about the theme of obsession, how does this one play out?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wash your hands man posted:

While we are talking about the theme of obsession, how does this one play out?

The whole point of La Mulana is to find the treasure of La Mulana, at the end of the game you discover it of course but at the end of the credits sequence it's stolen from you. At this point you can continue playing the game, and if you explore around a bit more you can hear about a "secret forbidden treasure". Of course you want to find it because, hey, that dick stole your treasure!

So you begin to follow the clues that get increasingly obscure and outright impossible without prior knowledge and discover a new dungeon called the "Hell Temple", where its full of dozens of insanely hard rooms full of traps and gimmicks that take forever to complete. Including a punishment room you'll see countless times that's full of sub bosses that have to be beaten every time you fall down into it. You're constantly told that the treasure is forbidden and you shouldn't find it and so on, but you just have to have this treasure apparently.

And so at the very end of this dungeon, after memorizing how to complete every room perfectly, you have a chat with the guy who sent you here who gives you one final "don't do it man" sort of speech before the treasure. If you continue on, you get your magical treasure: a skimpy revealing blue swimsuit, which the game then depicts your 8-bit body in slightly disturbing detail in drawn anime form. Then it cuts back to the 8-bit scene with "STUPID" written on the screen and the guy from before laughing at you for being an idiot. This item doesn't appear in your inventory and has no function whatsoever in the game.. It's not so much as a "message" like Braid, but more of a sadistic practical joke played by the developers.

If you'd like to see this in video form, here's the episode of the Let's Play featuring it. Skip to around 2:50 and just watch from there. To get an idea of the suffering a person goes through to get there, any of these Hell Temple episodes can explain it better than I could.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you ready for the end, La-Mulanites?

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My apologies if this has been posted before, but does anyone else, outside of those keeping up with the 'Terrible Video Game Advertisements' thread, remember the rumour going around that Twilight Princess' version of Hyrule was SO huge that it would take 45 minutes to cross, on horseback?

Stupid, stupid hype.

Before it came out, there was a rumor I heard about Ocarina of Time stating that, while it was possible to beat the game without the horse, it would take years to do so because of the vast landscapes.

Never mind that the rumor was completely absurd to begin with, but my little mind wanted to believe it so badly.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Jibo posted:

I'm sorry. ZoE1 was a crappy game. I understand there are a lot of people who share my opinion who love the second one and I can accept that, but I refuse to believe there's anyone outside of the hardcore Otaku crowd who like the first one.

I liked it!

... before the second one came out.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Barudak posted:

Tanker, Second Level, Dining Room. The room also features cooking pans that make unique noise dependent on their size when you shoot them and condiment bottles and dispensers that can be individually broken. This is literally the only time in the game the ice shows up, the pans and condiment bottles make a slight cameo in on the Big Shell where you encounter the Bomb Disposal Expert.

This is also a game that features a flashlight projecting an action-figure's shadow onto a wall to trick you that that character is in the game. If you shoot the action figure it begins launching little BBs out which realistically roll around the environment. It is the only action figure in the game.

I don't know why the internet doesn't talk about it, it was a big deal when the game was in development. Hell PSM raved about the ice as a thing only the playstation could do.

It Only Does: Realistic Ice Cube Melting

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Barudak posted:

Tanker, Second Level, Dining Room. The room also features cooking pans that make unique noise dependent on their size when you shoot them and condiment bottles and dispensers that can be individually broken. This is literally the only time in the game the ice shows up, the pans and condiment bottles make a slight cameo in on the Big Shell where you encounter the Bomb Disposal Expert.

This is also a game that features a flashlight projecting an action-figure's shadow onto a wall to trick you that that character is in the game. If you shoot the action figure it begins launching little BBs out which realistically roll around the environment. It is the only action figure in the game.

I don't know why the internet doesn't talk about it, it was a big deal when the game was in development. Hell PSM raved about the ice as a thing only the playstation could do.

This reminds me: Crysis has oil barrels that are way too realistic. Shoot one of them near the top? It will leak until the oil level has fallen below the hole. Shoot at the bottom? It will leak until the oil level reaches that hole. The amount of oil even affects the angle and pressure of the leak.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl
How can you hate the MGS plots? They're such obvious trolls (mixed with a coherent/serious idea every once in a while).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ymgve posted:

This reminds me: Crysis has oil barrels that are way too realistic. Shoot one of them near the top? It will leak until the oil level has fallen below the hole. Shoot at the bottom? It will leak until the oil level reaches that hole. The amount of oil even affects the angle and pressure of the leak.

Outside of the pressure thing, this was done before in Timesplitters: Future Perfect.

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

a japanese pop icon posted:

How can you hate the MGS plots? They're such obvious trolls (mixed with a coherent/serious idea every once in a while).

Just because something is intentionally made to be unlikeable doesn't mean it's automatically good and worthwhile.

In fact, that's a pretty stupid standard to have.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Why do you guys always need validation? Who cares if you enjoy a video game's story?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Some people like things they can enjoy unironically.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
There was also a flat screen monitor in the Tanker, in the same room as the ice bucket. If you shot the screen, it broke where you shot, and the picture crapped out from the point of impact going outward, in a circular wave. (I'm not doing a good job of describing this, but I remember being impressed at the time.) I also dug the rain in your eyes first-person view on the tanker.

I didn't stop playing MGS games because the plots devolved into supernatural mumbo-jumbo; MGS has always been ridiculous and supernatural. I mean... Psycho Mantis? Vulcan Raven? The real reason I stopped playing is that I guess when I was 18, I was more tolerant of that sorta poo poo and the extremely linear gameplay. Ten years later, I wasn't as tolerant of either. (Oh yeah, and couldn't justify the $600 buy-in for a PS3 at the time.)

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

betterinsodapop posted:

There was also a flat screen monitor in the Tanker, in the same room as the ice bucket. If you shot the screen, it broke where you shot, and the picture crapped out from the point of impact going outward, in a circular wave. (I'm not doing a good job of describing this, but I remember being impressed at the time.) I also dug the rain in your eyes first-person view on the tanker.

I didn't stop playing MGS games because the plots devolved into supernatural mumbo-jumbo; MGS has always been ridiculous and supernatural. I mean... Psycho Mantis? Vulcan Raven? The real reason I stopped playing is that I guess when I was 18, I was more tolerant of that sorta poo poo and the extremely linear gameplay. Ten years later, I wasn't as tolerant of either. (Oh yeah, and couldn't justify the $600 buy-in for a PS3 at the time.)

Though I know I'm just continuing on the tangent, MGS4 is the worst in the series in terms of... everything, IMO. Bad story, HORRIBLE pacing, variable gameplay, etc. The good parts are good, but the bad are... very bad. So you didn't miss out too much.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Re: The ice is MGS. Two cubes close together melt slower than others farther apart. Crazy detail man

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

I don't like obvious trolls in general. :confused:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Strudel Man posted:

I don't like obvious trolls in general. :confused:

And thus the troll succeeds.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

RagnarokAngel posted:

And thus the troll succeeds.
Noooooooooooo...

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Outside of the pressure thing, this was done before in Timesplitters: Future Perfect.

I'm pretty sure this was in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The first Splinter Cell had a fish tank that did that, but it was stationary.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

ymgve posted:

Is it really fair to accuse Crysis of having features that are too realistic?

Now if you'll excuse me, there are North Koreans that need nano-strength choking.

Suzumiya Haruhi-tan
Oct 3, 2008

by mons al-madeen
I like what Kojima-san does with his stories and how he uses games to troll gamers even if they are incredibly silly.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I miss Kojima when his games were basically just Japanified versions of American movies smashed together, like Snatcher (Terminator/Blade Runner) and Policenauts (Lethal Weapon in Space)

Suzumiya Haruhi-tan
Oct 3, 2008

by mons al-madeen
I like what MGS2 did with showing how Snake is viewed from the outside, as a sort of 2nd-person MGS game. It's one of the few things he has done really well. Twin Snakes is also a pretty good parody of remakes in general. The jeep chase is hilarious.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Policenaut posted:

I miss Kojima when his games were basically just Japanified versions of American movies smashed together, like Snatcher (Terminator/Blade Runner) and Policenauts (Lethal Weapon in Space)

Don't forget Metal gear solid 3, or should I say the best james bond game.

Suzumiya Haruhi-tan posted:

Twin Snakes is also a pretty good parody of remakes in general. The jeep chase is hilarious.

I'm pretty sure kojima didn't have anything to do with twin snakes.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Clever Spambot posted:

I'm pretty sure kojima didn't have anything to do with twin snakes.

Kojima was the one who requested that the cutscene director should make the cutscenes less like MGS1 and more like the action movies the guy did.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Yep the story goes that the game originally had cut scenes closer to the original game. But then Kojima stepped in and said that if you are going to re make the game, make it crazy.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of bizarrely detailed little touches, in Mass Effect 2 at the very beginning of Jack's loyalty mission you start outside in the rain. This is the only time in the game where it rains, and you're only outside for a few seconds, but if you zoom in close (and I was on the PC with maxed settings so everything looked better) there's this ridiculously well-done effect of water streaming off of your armor. It could just be a built-in ability of Unreal 3 that took 5 minutes to implement, but otherwise it was a gorgeous effect that served absolutely no purpose and the majority of gamers won't even notice.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

betterinsodapop posted:

WRONG TIMES A MILLION, LET'S FIGHT ABOUT IT

No genuinely the ridiculous poo poo is exactly what I have grown in tolerance for. The bad attempts at serious-minded conspiracy/social commentary, plot twists, and pathos are what disappoint me now but I have infinity tolerance for the craziness. Takes all kinds, I guess

*every schizophrenic computer president, homomasculine vampire, making GBS threads chirping battlebot, sexually deviant idiot savant, communist twelve-year-old, psychic kgb ghost, photosynthetic grandpa, and cyborg masochist comes in with everything for a HUGE videogame*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Speaking of bizarrely detailed little touches, in Mass Effect 2 at the very beginning of Jack's loyalty mission you start outside in the rain. This is the only time in the game where it rains, and you're only outside for a few seconds, but if you zoom in close (and I was on the PC with maxed settings so everything looked better) there's this ridiculously well-done effect of water streaming off of your armor. It could just be a built-in ability of Unreal 3 that took 5 minutes to implement, but otherwise it was a gorgeous effect that served absolutely no purpose and the majority of gamers won't even notice.

Gears of War also had a beautiful rain effect, so it's either a built-in feature of Unreal 3 or a common piece of sample code Epic gives out.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

swamp waste posted:

WRONG TIMES A MILLION, LET'S FIGHT ABOUT IT

No genuinely the ridiculous poo poo is exactly what I have grown in tolerance for. The bad attempts at serious-minded conspiracy/social commentary, plot twists, and pathos are what disappoint me now but I have infinity tolerance for the craziness. Takes all kinds, I guess

*every schizophrenic computer president, homomasculine vampire, making GBS threads chirping battlebot, sexually deviant idiot savant, communist twelve-year-old, psychic kgb ghost, photosynthetic grandpa, and cyborg masochist comes in with everything for a HUGE videogame*

Haha.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 23, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

haveblue posted:

Gears of War also had a beautiful rain effect, so it's either a built-in feature of Unreal 3 or a common piece of sample code Epic gives out.

I don't remember the water running off the characters in Gear though. Also, if you stand under a stream of water coming off the rooftops it'll splash on the character.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

People often say Barrett is the only black man in the world, which isn't true. In fact, he isn't even the blackest:

Myth busted:colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Heran Bago posted:

People often say Barrett is the only black man in the world, which isn't true. In fact, he isn't even the blackest:

Myth busted:colbert:

He may just be a guy in extensive blackface.

With that gym, you can never be sure.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

With that gym, you can never be sure.
Well, I'm sure if you join his Young Bubbies Club, he'll tell you all of his secrets. :gay:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Don't forget Rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

There's also one of those liar guys in the prison