Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Veeb0rg posted:

It might have been, it shows in stock at my local tru's.

I've been bitten by the minifig bug.. I got series 2 and am looking for series 1, any one got a spare set they'd part with?
I'm saving my last spare set of Series 1 to trade for a Series 3 once they're more available!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Dr. Platypus posted:

What's going on with the Propeller Power creator set? I saw it all over the place last week, but now it seems to have disappeared everywhere, and is up to forty bucks on amazon. Was it a black friday sale item or something? It's crazy how fast it disappeared.

40 bucks is a scalper's price and its only on backorder, not out of production. Lego Shop@Home says Dec 17.

DrunkDalek
May 20, 2003

Drinking beer to make music to drink beer to.
Local Fred Meyer has had odd stocking of figures. Sunday night: 2 boxes of Series 2, one of 3. By monday after work, all gone.

Still, I was able to get a fisherman, which was my main pick for the latest round. Tho his nationality is not specified, there's no way this dude ain't Nordic. On an ideal world, he speaks with a strong Swedish or Maine accent.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
When I was a kid my parents got me the Load N' Haul Railroad. It was amazing.

All these years later, and I want to build it again. The catch is that I've somehow lost most or all of the magnet connectors and trains wheels. Do you guys have any suggestions for where I could find replacements? Just the wheels and connectors would be fine, but I would also not mind spending a little bit on a small set.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

All these years later, and I want to build it again. The catch is that I've somehow lost most or all of the magnet connectors and trains wheels. Do you guys have any suggestions for where I could find replacements? Just the wheels and connectors would be fine, but I would also not mind spending a little bit on a small set.

Bricklink is probably the easiest. For the magnets, you'll have to buy the three parts separately. It's likely the same sellers will have the pieces, though.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4022

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2920

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=73092

The wheels can be bought as separate parts or together.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2878c01

The new type of train wheels are slightly different, but would work just as well. Just browse the "wheels" category to find the different types.

These things are not especially cheap, unfortunately, as there are lots of train people out there, and the old style magnets and wheels are no longer made. It's possible you might have luck finding a lot of multiple magnets/wheels on ebay, but I don't really know how much those go for. Full sets tend to be pricey.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Nnovvember is almost over! And so, one more for the road:

This is a racing version of my earlier EP-50 Flea, and it definitely breaks zero VV rules this time.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Bricklink is probably the easiest. For the magnets, you'll have to buy the three parts separately. It's likely the same sellers will have the pieces, though.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4022

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2920

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=73092

The wheels can be bought as separate parts or together.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2878c01

The new type of train wheels are slightly different, but would work just as well. Just browse the "wheels" category to find the different types.

These things are not especially cheap, unfortunately, as there are lots of train people out there, and the old style magnets and wheels are no longer made. It's possible you might have luck finding a lot of multiple magnets/wheels on ebay, but I don't really know how much those go for. Full sets tend to be pricey.

The newer encased magnet/buffer setups work just as well as the old and will mix with out issue. If you don't mind the slightly different look they should be more plentiful then the older style.

do you still have the 9v train motor?

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 1, 2010

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

3 posted:

Nnovvember is almost over! And so, one more for the road:

This is a racing version of my earlier EP-50 Flea, and it definitely breaks zero VV rules this time.

Pardon my ignorance but, VV?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PopeOnARope posted:

Pardon my ignorance but, VV?

Vic Viper. Nnenn, the brilliant Lego artist who was killed in a car accident earlier this year, had a particular addiction for building Vic Vipers. It spawned a tradition.

Click here for the full 1280x856 image.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Thanks guys!

Veeb0rg posted:

The newer encased magnet/buffer setups work just as well as the old and will mix with out issue. If you don't mind the slightly different look they should be more plentiful then the older style.

do you still have the 9v train motor?

Yeah, I still have it and it works great. I just had to clean the oxidization off the track.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

Vic Viper. Nnenn, the brilliant Lego artist who was killed in a car accident earlier this year, had a particular addiction for building Vic Vipers. It spawned a tradition.

Speaking of whom, I opened my contacts list this morning and saw two new MOCs from him. I almost fell out of my chair.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nnenn/

Apparently his wife and kids saved 3 of his last MOCs and are saving the best for last. :unsmith:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Captain Invictus posted:

I am always left confused as to what does and does not constitute a Vic Viper. Anyone wanna fill me in?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Flavor Bear posted:

I am always left confused as to what does and does not constitute a Vic Viper. Anyone wanna fill me in?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Flavor Bear posted:

The Vic Viper is the ship from the space shooter series Gradius. It has two forward prongs, two wings and a vertical tail. As long as you have those, everything goes.

Captain Invictus posted:

To alleviate confusion, those aren't all Vic Vipers, just a bunch of Nnenn's fighters. Many are Vipers, though.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
While my eight-year-old niece was building this...

my four-year-old nephew and I collaborated on this (by which I mean he kept handing me pieces and I had to try to figure out where to put them):

(front)

(back)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arkannoyed posted:

my four-year-old nephew and I collaborated on this (by which I mean he kept handing me pieces and I had to try to figure out where to put them):

Hey, that's how they designed the Time Cruisers sets! :haw:

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Mike the TV posted:

Oh man, I always remember coveting that set like crazy. I've always loved the cargo train sets. Always wondered why they were hauling barrels and a tiny tractor out of a volcano though.

3 posted:

Jesus, that's beautiful.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The_Doctor posted:

Hey, that's how they designed the Time Cruisers sets! :haw:

exactly the first thing I thought.

Would not look out of place at all with the other Time sets

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

3 posted:

Reminds me of a Legend of the Galactic Heroes Alliance ship. Very nice.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Sold pending funds!

So, anyone looking for the modular buildings? I'm looking to sell all 4 for $600, which is exactly what they would have cost new, and is a good deal when you consider how drat expensive Cafe Corner is these days (about $400 on its own)!

photo for the photo gods (ignore the extra random figs):

edit: all complete with instructions and boxes

Sold pending funds!

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 2, 2010

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

So, anyone looking for the modular buildings? I'm looking to sell all 4 for $600, which is exactly what they would have cost new, and is a good deal when you consider how drat expensive Cafe Corner is these days (about $400 on its own)!

SOLD!!!!!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Captain Invictus posted:

Reminds me of a Legend of the Galactic Heroes Alliance ship. Very nice.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

First thing I thought of was Homeworld.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Inspector_71 posted:

First thing I thought of was Homeworld.

I could have sworn I read that the guys who did Homeworld were influenced by LOGH, though. Maybe that was something else.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Captain Invictus posted:

I could have sworn I read that the guys who did Homeworld were influenced by LOGH, though. Maybe that was something else.

I'm unfamiliar with LOGh at all so it's totally possible. The Biggest ship in that group looks identical to a Homeworld Cruiser, and the next one down an Assault Frigate.

Regardless of the inspiration, they're amazing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Inspector_71 posted:

I'm unfamiliar with LOGh at all so it's totally possible. The Biggest ship in that group looks identical to a Homeworld Cruiser, and the next one down an Assault Frigate.

Regardless of the inspiration, they're amazing.

No doubt! But that comes with the territory honestly, had Nnenn ever built a not amazing creation?

And you should probably get yourself acquainted with LOGH, so good it's got one of the longest-living threads on the forums! Some of the best sci-fi and political drama ever made.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Captain Invictus posted:

Probably more of a common ancestor thing. Homeworld's ships (particularly the Taiidani) are definitely influenced by the art styles of Chris Foss and Peter Elson, who were responsible for those giant spaceships seen on the cover of most 60s-70s science fiction novels. If you've ever seen the Terren Trade Authority books you'll recognise the style. This is why "Group Captain Elson" shows up during the game.

Nnenn is/was pretty amazing though. Even allowing for the occasional non-canon piece, I look at most of his stuff and wonder how the hell he did it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Carbohydrates posted:

If only I had any disposable incom right now

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Carbohydrates posted:

I really really really want to see FLYNN'S ARCADE done up in LEGO. That would be a project and a half!

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

Arkannoyed posted:

While my eight-year-old niece was building this...

Here is something me and my four and eight year old made, the younger one was quite helpful and is actually better with lego blocks than his older sister! The truck is actally pretty awesome and the toy store even has a small toy car and a hovercraft, along with some toy weapons and miniature lego boxes. Oh, and a minifig-sized teddy bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJLHulc1JAs

Nestorix fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 2, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

slightpirate posted:

I really really really want to see FLYNN'S ARCADE done up in LEGO. That would be a project and a half!

Quick somebody find me some TRON MOCs. This sounds awesome.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

Hobnob posted:

If you've ever seen the Terren Trade Authority books you'll recognise the style.

I've had a couple of these books since I was a child, they are filled with really cool art of spaceships.

I'm in the process of sorting my collection at the moment, and it has been quite a job. I can already see the advantage to it, the things I have been making have come much easier with my stuff organized.

I tried out one of the small creator sets the other day, 5865 (Mini Dumper) and was rather impressed. For such a small set, it had a lot of high quality pieces(slopes, hinges, etc.). I may look into getting some more of these small sets, seemed like a decent value for the price.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

DoktorVerderben posted:

I've had a couple of these books since I was a child, they are filled with really cool art of spaceships.

I'm in the process of sorting my collection at the moment, and it has been quite a job. I can already see the advantage to it, the things I have been making have come much easier with my stuff organized.

I tried out one of the small creator sets the other day, 5865 (Mini Dumper) and was rather impressed. For such a small set, it had a lot of high quality pieces(slopes, hinges, etc.). I may look into getting some more of these small sets, seemed like a decent value for the price.

They are the absolute best books. However, do not look for the RPG book, because it will RUIN your childhood in ways that are not good. Not good at all. :cry:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Quick somebody find me some TRON MOCs. This sounds awesome.

Okay.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/-2x4-/sets/72157622070732911/

Probably been posted before, but they're well done.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Nestorix posted:

Here is something me and my four and eight year old made, the younger one was quite helpful and is actually better with lego blocks than his older sister! The truck is actally pretty awesome and the toy store even has a small toy car and a hovercraft, along with some toy weapons and miniature lego boxes. Oh, and a minifig-sized teddy bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJLHulc1JAs

That is awesome!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I made some more Vic Vipers. It's such a cool design, I just love making them!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Nice, high-res Ninjago pics. Throwing stars, samurai helmets, new skeletons? There goes all my money for next year.

EDIT: The new wave of Hero Factory looks like it'll have some really interesting and really useful parts as well.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=453459

So I'm gonna leave some room in the budget I think.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 3, 2010

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

InfinEight posted:

Nice, high-res Ninjago pics. Throwing stars, samurai helmets, new skeletons? There goes all my money for next year.

Wow, the possibilities for using those nunchuck handles are endless.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

InfinEight posted:

All the skeleton vehicles look completely ridiculous and I want them all.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
So I've got about twenty bucks to spare, and I want to spend it on lego. What is good around that price? I can go over a couple bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Dr. Platypus posted:

So I've got about twenty bucks to spare, and I want to spend it on lego. What is good around that price? I can go over a couple bucks.

Flying Mummy Attack :3:

If you want the most bang for your buck, Wal-Mart and some others are clearing out older LEGO sets or putting them on sale, but each store is different. Keep in mind that these sets aren't necessarily on the LEGO aisle and maybe in a separate clearance area.