Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rudy Riot posted:

Finished the first episode of Cyberthug's new show and it was really good. Little slow to start but once they started talking about all the different rappers, they were killing it. Autistic Illuminati members.

The beginning was a bit off and it isn't hard hitting laughs every 6 seconds, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I currently have the cyberthug imitation of Drake as my ringtone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Greg Proops' second podcast episode is up. It's still a sort of a live-act format podcast, like the first one, and while I tend to prefer ones without an audience, I enjoyed this one as much as the first one. I'm hoping he does more than just once a month, but, like the Pod F. Tompcast, I think it's worth the wait!

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

New Pod F. Tompkast. Will the Cake Boss return???

Yes apparently he will.

I love all of PFT's characters, but I'm hoping we start seeing new combinations of characters who we've already heard from already. I especially want to hear a conversation between Dame Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and the Cake Boss.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Okay so: I loved this week's CDR. I know we've all discussed and disagreed about this, but I still find Tig super funny. I know who he is, but I can't say I'm super familiar with him - Despite this I liked Kevin Nealon a lot. I'm impressed at the amount of voices Jon Daly can do, and it was an awesome "Would You Rather." When Cyber Thug asked "What if it was a Ciroc monster? What about that?" and Scott was just like "Yup...what about that?" I lost it.

I immediately went and listened to Cyber Thug radio and really enjoyed it. Yeah, shaky sometimes absolutely, but it was the first episode. Even some of the sports talk towards that lost me for the most part was littered with funny tags, like their impressions and talks of autism. But, poo poo, the Drake stuff and the song about raccoons were amazing. The guys have natural chemistry and good banter.

I was going to bring up The Smartest Man in the World if I didn't see anybody else doing it. I like it too. I'm usually not a fan of "Comedian talks uninterrupted for an hour" podcasts, but Proop's background in improv really lends to the idea. He is obviously smart, and opinionated, and quite an interesting guy. He seems like he has a lot of great stories up his sleeve. Like, it wasn't a laugh a minute show (although I did laugh at many parts) but I'm entertained by his intellect and how he relates a story. Good stuff. A monthly release is right for it, though. I couldn't imagine listening to it more frequently than that.

My Brother, My Brother An Me was amazing as usual this week. "The Minnesota Pincher" bit had me stifling laughter while walking across campus - Making me look like a crazy person yet again. This is a weekly occurrence. I should really just stop listening to the McElroy Bros. in public.

I think/write waaaay to much about comedy podcasts. I'm glad you guys do to.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Majorian posted:

Greg Proops' second podcast episode is up. It's still a sort of a live-act format podcast, like the first one, and while I tend to prefer ones without an audience, I enjoyed this one as much as the first one. I'm hoping he does more than just once a month, but, like the Pod F. Tompcast, I think it's worth the wait!

This one was a lot more solid than the last one. It's like he's doing an hour of stand-up every month, but only to himself, and an audience just happens to be there.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
I hope everyone appreciated the homage to the intro of the Busta Rhymes album "When Disaster Strikes" as the intro to the Cyber Thug Radio podcast.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I'm a huge fan of PFT, but boy the Tompkast sure drags at times, even in the places it shouldn't, like the bits with various characters. I just think what makes him so funny is when he's playing those characters completely off the cuff, as opposed to scripted. So my favorite parts of the podcast has been just him rambling in the warm, hush tones, and his conversations with Jen Kirkman. I understand he wanted to do something different, but....eh.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Do they ever stop burping into the microphone on Podcast Eating Contest? It's REALLY nauseating, and the fact that they think it's hilarious almost turns me off from the podcast completely.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

webster876 posted:

Do they ever stop burping into the microphone on Podcast Eating Contest? It's REALLY nauseating, and the fact that they think it's hilarious almost turns me off from the podcast completely.

Not really. It's kind of a "thing". They address it. It's sort of funny how much people get worked up over it.

/!\ UPDATE /!\ Reilly says they're recording tonight.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

webster876 posted:

This is my #1 complaint about it. they have good improv chops, though so I'm torn between unsubscribing and continuing.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
In case anyone is interested Joe Rogan is on the most current Tom Green podcast just talking about insane poo poo like the moon landing being faked and conspiracy theories about the government and weed. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tom-green-live-at-smodcastle/id396789824

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

NecronSchmecron posted:

This is my #1 complaint about it. they have good improv chops, though so I'm torn between unsubscribing and continuing.

I'm the same way. I really want to keep listening, but I just shudder every time one of them burps and then they all laugh like retards.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I know I sound like a broken record when I say this, but it's not JUST the burps in general. I've listened to Stern a lot back in the day and burps don't bother me.

They're drinking beer and they get those foamy DEEP burps. That's what makes me gag. Seriously, I've never gone from hysterical laughter to suppressing my gag reflex in my life, until now.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
Eh, doesn't bother me.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Eh, doesn't bother me.

You don't count, they had an episode named after you. :buddy:

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

NecronSchmecron posted:

You don't count, they had an episode named after you. :buddy:

"Flindy" is actually requesting more burps on the new episode.:c00lbert:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In case you were curious, the CDR Christmas CD is hilarious. The Huell and Ice-T tracks are, predictably, awesome, but the highlight for me was Jon Daly's Smooth Little Baby Jazzus.

And here's the We are the World 25.75 video on FoD.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I need to find 90 minutes to listen to the bob ducca thing, but in a place that I won't have to stifle my uproarious laughter at bob ducca

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
The CDR charity auction is loving nuts. Private stand-up lessons, co-host CDR, Sklarbro, or Pardcast, get a role on Children's Hospital, and a loving private Pixar tour aaaaaaaaa

Basically this all makes me wish I had way more money than I knew what to do with so I could buy everything

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Anal Volcano posted:

The CDR charity auction is loving nuts. Private stand-up lessons, co-host CDR, Sklarbro, or Pardcast, get a role on Children's Hospital, and a loving private Pixar tour aaaaaaaaa

Basically this all makes me wish I had way more money than I knew what to do with so I could buy everything

Agreed. Looking at those prizes made me sad. I want so many of them!

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Tig Notaro and Paul F. Tompkins were on Community tonight. And given how many podcasts Donald Glover and Joel McHale have been on, I was keeping my eyes peeled for other cameos the whole show.

The PFT part was particularly good.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

big business sloth posted:

I need to find 90 minutes to listen to the bob ducca thing, but in a place that I won't have to stifle my uproarious laughter at bob ducca

Be forewarned: The 60 minute show will have a lot of stuff you've probably heard on CDR, but it's still great. The 30 minute show has horrible audio and is kind of clunky, but has some funny parts. Definitely worth the $1.99!

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Looking at that page is like being handcuffed to a street sign as you watch all of your dreams drive by, waving at you.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Be forewarned: The 60 minute show will have a lot of stuff you've probably heard on CDR, but it's still great. The 30 minute show has horrible audio and is kind of clunky, but has some funny parts. Definitely worth the $1.99!

"Sir, you have to listen to bob ducca's list of ailments for the rest of eternity"

"okay"

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

I'm starting to cool towards both Marc Maron and Nerdist as of late.

Nerdist started off great for few episodes but now Chris Hardwick has run out of material and has reached the Jay Leno grab-bag of interviewing process by asking "how they started in the biz," the most boring and pointless conversation 99% of the time. And his show is celebrity-obsessed. Joe Rogan's podcast is more nerdist than Nerdist.

Marc Maron's whining is really grating now, which has passed the point of being funny. I've been skipping his monologue for couple of months now. But his live podcast in Austin was hilarious and bizarre.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

cioxx posted:

Nerdist started off great for few episodes but now Chris Hardwick has run out of material and has reached the Jay Leno grab-bag of interviewing process by asking "how they started in the biz," the most boring and pointless conversation 99% of the time. And his show is celebrity-obsessed. Joe Rogan's podcast is more nerdist than Nerdist.

Marc Maron's whining is really grating now, which has passed the point of being funny. I've been skipping his monologue for couple of months now. But his live podcast in Austin was hilarious and bizarre.

I'm pretty much at the same point. Unless either one has a great guest, I don't tune in. I have a huge backlog of both podcasts.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

big business sloth posted:

"Sir, you have to listen to bob ducca's list of ailments for the rest of eternity"

Oh totally, I get it. It's amazing. I just wanted to soften the blow if you had your hopes up to an exceedingly super high level. I loving love Bob Ducca.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
PFT was on Community tonight. I would totally have gay sex with him.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

cioxx posted:

I think that happens to everyone eventually regardless of the show. I used to listen pretty heavily to some of the TWIT network shows, but haven't touched them in two years. Fortunately there's enough new content out there that it's easy to switch.

The Nerdist: The recent episode with Brian Posehn was great, and the second half of the Adam Carolla one was pretty good with the Boogerman stories. (Though the first half was just Adam screaming about security guards and parking tickets like he does two or three times a week on his own show.)

Marc Maron: His podcast with Aziz Ansari would have been more interesting if it wasn't the fourth or fifth time I'd heard him as a guest on a show, and there's only so many stories the guy has to tell. Most times I kind of feel sorry for the guy, which isn't really conducive to humor. I guess it's good he didn't name the show "The Weeping Clown".

Larry Miller has been a real breath of fresh air, though, even if he gets easily off topic. But his stories are great, he's able to fill the time well, and it's not stuff you're heard over and over again.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I was going to bring up The Smartest Man in the World if I didn't see anybody else doing it. I like it too. I'm usually not a fan of "Comedian talks uninterrupted for an hour" podcasts, but Proop's background in improv really lends to the idea. He is obviously smart, and opinionated, and quite an interesting guy. He seems like he has a lot of great stories up his sleeve. Like, it wasn't a laugh a minute show (although I did laugh at many parts) but I'm entertained by his intellect and how he relates a story. Good stuff. A monthly release is right for it, though. I couldn't imagine listening to it more frequently than that.

In its current format I agree, but I'd still love to hear a shorter, weekly version. But yeah, no real complaints for me.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
New Podcast Eating Contest is up. If you don't like the "belches" then you will not be loving this one. But seriously, quit whining. It's hilarious.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

benito posted:

Tig Notaro and Paul F. Tompkins were on Community tonight. And given how many podcasts Donald Glover and Joel McHale have been on, I was keeping my eyes peeled for other cameos the whole show.

The PFT part was particularly good.

It took me a second to recognize PFT, but I almost squealed audibly in incredibly un-masculine delight.

I didn't really feel the Tig Notaro hate until listened to the most-recent Doug Loves Movies tonight. Good God, why do people even have her on their podcasts, especially that one? There seems to be almost a masochistic element to her going on and continually responding to questions with, "...uuuuuuuuuuuuh...I don't watch movies..."

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

benito posted:

And given how many podcasts Donald Glover and Joel McHale have been on...

WHAT?!?! WHICH ONES?!? WHERE?!?!

Also, thanks to the thread for getting me into CDR. I started off with the Halloween episode: Messmore and Beauford LeBaron had me crying laughing ("I've given millions of people ghost AIDS! I'm a serial rapist, with a bad attitude.") But the next one I listened to was with Todd Barry and some other guys, a minaturization scientist and an Amish minigolf course owner. That one sucked.

The last one I heard was with Tig (whom I'd never heard before), Sarah Silverman, Kevin Nealon, etc. which was mediocre, I thought (does Sarah Silverman always suck that badly or was it just her purported neck cramp?). All that said, what are some other stand-out hits in the vein of the Halloween episode I should try?

cioxx posted:

Joe Rogan's podcast is more nerdist than Nerdist.

Yes, which is what I love about it. It's by far the nerdiest drugchat I've ever heard, and I love him for it.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

New Podcast Eating Contest is up. If you don't like the "belches" then you will not be loving this one. But seriously, quit whining. It's hilarious.

I'll only listen to it if there's a promise that one of them pukes in their mouth. :colbert:

I totally forgot to put it on the ipod before I rushed out. I could download it at work, but I only have a few I like to listen to on my ipod, and though there's the :barf: this is one I risk public embarrassment for.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

dividebyzero posted:

WHAT?!?! WHICH ONES?!? WHERE?!?!

Also, thanks to the thread for getting me into CDR. I started off with the Halloween episode: Messmore and Beauford LeBaron had me crying laughing ("I've given millions of people ghost AIDS! I'm a serial rapist, with a bad attitude.") But the next one I listened to was with Todd Barry and some other guys, a minaturization scientist and an Amish minigolf course owner. That one sucked.

The last one I heard was with Tig (whom I'd never heard before), Sarah Silverman, Kevin Nealon, etc. which was mediocre, I thought (does Sarah Silverman always suck that badly or was it just her purported neck cramp?). All that said, what are some other stand-out hits in the vein of the Halloween episode I should try?

Last years 12/18 episode with Jon Hamm, Doug Benson & others is excellent and episode 66.1 & 66.2 with Bob Odenkirk are really good.

Teenagers
Sep 5, 2007

hail satan
tried listening to 'sick + wrong', it's so unfunny it is unreal. also the dude has the most annoying loving voice.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Teenagers posted:

tried listening to 'sick + wrong', it's so unfunny it is unreal. also the dude has the most annoying loving voice.

But dude it's ALTERNATIVE and REAL TALK unlike that POLITICALLY CORRECT bullshit CDRR and Carolla.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

dividebyzero posted:

But the next one I listened to was with Todd Barry and some other guys, a minaturization scientist and an Amish minigolf course owner. That one sucked.

The last one I heard was with Tig (whom I'd never heard before), Sarah Silverman, Kevin Nealon, etc. which was mediocre, I thought (does Sarah Silverman always suck that badly or was it just her purported neck cramp?).

You...I don't get you. Those episodes are pretty much par-for-the-course as far as CDR goes.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

dividebyzero posted:

All that said, what are some other stand-out hits in the vein of the Halloween episode I should try?

Nick Kroll + Paul Scheer
Rob Corddry + Lake Bell + PFT

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Is it the Thanksgiving CDR with Michael Cera where Ice-T calls in from a hot air balloon? That one. That's the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
I got into CDR from the Best of 2009 episode. From there I tracked down the various episodes that they pulled from and then eventually just listened to them all.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/best-2009-paul-f-tompkins-nick-kroll-james-adomian

• Locked thread