Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Conrad_Birdie posted:

But dude it's ALTERNATIVE and REAL TALK unlike that POLITICALLY CORRECT bullshit CDRR and Carolla.

It's not ALTERNATIVE or REAL TALK. It's just straight up hilarious and plenty of good natured racism and sexism. It's the gooniest (in a good way) podcast in the world. They don't have to rely on prepared bits, zany antics or celebrity pimping to get listeners.

But yeah, Dee's voice is extremely annoying, as he puts it "a nasally Jew".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Um... Ethan Suplee just LIED on DLM...

They were talking about his scene in Mallrats when he was looking at the magic eye poster, and Doug asked if he could actually see it. Ethan said he could, and that it actually WAS a sailboat. But, on the DVD, you can pause it and plainly see that it is just a few random shapes. LIAR, ETHAN. LIAR.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

big business sloth posted:

Is it the Thanksgiving CDR with Michael Cera where Ice-T calls in from a hot air balloon? That one. That's the one

This also contains Harris Wittel's phone corner which is probably the best bit in the show.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

This also contains Harris Wittel's phone corner which is probably the best bit in the show.

Does he do this more than once because his 'thoughts' were great

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I think he also did it on his second appearance IIRC. That's episode 52.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

It's not ALTERNATIVE or REAL TALK. It's just straight up hilarious and plenty of good natured racism and sexism. It's the gooniest (in a good way) podcast in the world. They don't have to rely on prepared bits, zany antics or celebrity pimping to get listeners.

Okay, so being as racist and sexist as possible to get listeners is okay, but having material and good, intriguing guests is NOT okay. Okay good.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I've listened to it. It's marginally funny, and your criteria for what makes a great podcast are seriously flawed. That's why no one agrees with you.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'd like a podcast of George Clooney and Julia Roberts telling us what they had for breakfast, then reading newspaper stories about baby rape. Little something for everyone.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Jimmy Pardo semi-jokingly mentioned George Clooney should be on the show on the latest NNF. I feel like Clooney would be a GREAT guest on NNF if he wasn't impossible to get.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

NecronSchmecron posted:

Jimmy Pardo semi-jokingly mentioned George Clooney should be on the show on the latest NNF. I feel like Clooney would be a GREAT guest on NNF if he wasn't impossible to get.

He would be. George Clooney is awesome.

Casual racism and sexism: Funny as poo poo.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

bananasinpajamas posted:

Okay, so being as racist and sexist as possible to get listeners is okay, but having material and good, intriguing guests is NOT okay. Okay good.

That's the kind of humor I'm interested in!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Conrad_Birdie posted:

He would be. George Clooney is awesome.

Yeah, I tried so hard to hate him for so many years, but over the past decade or so, his acting and roles (for the most part) have only gotten better, and every time I see him in an interview he's funny and charming and articulate. He is the proto-Jon Hamm.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
He had a pet pig for Christ's sake

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010
So does anyone here listen to The Hatecast, from The Onion's AV Club? They used to update regularly until April of this year, but the regular host put out a Thanksgiving episode and is promising more.

The structure is basically the regular host (Amelie Gilette, who does this and this for The Onion, and a guest host discuss pop culture stories and various semi-related issues. It's not an especially high-energy show (it depends on the guest host, but sometimes it's a very dry hate), but if you like pop culture discussion it's not bad.

As for episodes: I personally like the ones with Baratunde Thurston as the other host, because he's got a good presence and tends to give Amelie some poo poo about some of the topics (like how she doesn't want the Jonas Brothers to ever know happiness in order to keep their proper places in the tabloid hierarchy). David Cross essentially turns the episode he hosts into his stand-up routine, so if you like him that's not bad.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I generally enjoy Nerdist most of the time because it seems so casual and I'd love to be a comedy writer so the back stories are interesting to me, but I do agree with the rest of you, Hardwick fails pretty hard sometimes and gets mind numbingly generic with his questions. The most awkward episode has to be the Bill Mahr one I listed to last night. Bill seemed so uninterested in Hardwicks very forced interview style and it was annoying how much he laughed and agreed with Bill after each of his stories.

Bill: Everything happens for a reason.
Chris: HAhah! Soo tru--
Bill: No gently caress that I don't believe that. Life is random
Chris: HAhah! Yup you're right.
Bill: ...eh..heh.

At one point Bill even asks Chris what time it is... Bill may be the most extreme example since hes famous for being a smug rear end in a top hat but yeah, Chris needs to work on his interview skills and bringing up topics that listeners can actually relate to... and please, stop name dropping every other sentence!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I tried so hard to hate him for so many years, but over the past decade or so, his acting and roles (for the most part) have only gotten better, and every time I see him in an interview he's funny and charming and articulate. He is the proto-Jon Hamm.

Off-topic Clooney story, but it's awesome: I was watching the red carpet interviews before the Oscars or the Golden Globes a couple years ago, and the host was talking to Clooney. Unsurprisingly, Clooney had a beautiful model on his arm. After the host had finished talking to Clooney, she turned to his date and said something like "You look beautiful tonight. Who's your dress from?" Clooney interrupted and goes "She doesn't speak any English." AND HE WASN'T KIDDING. Then they just walked away. That is so loving badass.

He probably has 500 or so stories of this nature, and I'd like to hear them all. Yeah, get him on NNF.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Sorry for the late reply, but in reference to Donald Glover and Joel McHale on podcasts...

dividebyzero posted:

WHAT?!?! WHICH ONES?!? WHERE?!?!

DONGLOVER:
on the Nerdist
on The Sound of Young America
on WTF with Marc Maron

He's a great interview guest, because he's so happy and upbeat, but because he's so young (like Aziz Ansari) he doesn't have a ton of stories to tell at this point.

McHALE:
on the Nerdist
on the Adam Carolla Podcast

I think I've heard some others, but people talk about him a lot. I'm sure there are more for each of them as well, these are just ones that I could remember off the top of my head, and there's a lot of podcasts I don't listen to.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

benito posted:

on WTF with Marc Maron

Not a "true" WTF (it's a live panel), but this episode is great just because everyone just BOMBS on the stage. It's funny, but really awkward and "cringey" cause the audience just doesn't know how to take some things. I can't remember Glover's role, but I definitely need to listen to this one again.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

The Modern Leper posted:

Not a "true" WTF (it's a live panel), but this episode is great just because everyone just BOMBS on the stage. It's funny, but really awkward and "cringey" cause the audience just doesn't know how to take some things. I can't remember Glover's role, but I definitely need to listen to this one again.

Yeah, I kind of slapped the list together, but sometimes podcasts and NPR and Onion AV club interviews tend to run together in my memory--the same central figure will often repeat himself over and over again out of necessity. Add in TV, radio, and newspaper appearances, and they can't do something unique for each show.

I was a little annoyed when I noticed this trend of "making the circuit" on podcasts, but I guess it was inevitable. NPR got bad about this in the early 00s, when I had a job where I could listen to a half dozen different shows a day from around the country. There was the guy who wrote a history of salt that showed up on every single NPR program in the space of a few weeks. As far as I know he might even have shown up on Car Talk to talk about salting the roads in the winter.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Donald Glover also is on CDRR episode 60, it's a pretty good one as I remember

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I turned 2 people on to Podcast Eating Contest today by playing them Michael McDonald Game clips.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Steve you better have recorded the secret podcast or so help me god :argh:

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Bro Dad posted:

Steve you better have recorded the secret podcast or so help me god

Come to my birthday party and see what's up!

They're talking about when they had "The Secret Snack Recipe" not a secret show.

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 4, 2010

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Narwhale posted:

I turned 2 people on to Podcast Eating Contest today by playing them Michael McDonald Game clips.

I made this the other night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zNNVbdoyEQ blow it up and spread the word!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I made this the other night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zNNVbdoyEQ blow it up and spread the word!

Yeah, that was one of the things I found actually. I haven't gone through the back episodes so I hadn't heard it before, so I listened to it at work with a friend and he was hooked so then we listened to the new episode. Then I played both clips for my wife and she thought it was hilarious, too.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

dividebyzero posted:

All that said, what are some other stand-out hits in the vein of the Halloween episode I should try?

Ep 72 is good just because of Adomian's Paul Giamatti impression. I like Janeane but Andy Dick is a bit irritating. I'd also recommend the ep with Andy Richter and Matt Besser, and Ep 71 with Nick Kroll and Paul Scheer.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Maerlyn posted:

Ep 72 is good just because of Adomian's Paul Giamatti impression. I like Janeane but Andy Dick is a bit irritating. I'd also recommend the ep with Andy Richter and Matt Besser, and Ep 71 with Nick Kroll and Paul Scheer.

The second two are amazing, but I don't remember the Giamatti impression for some reason. I guess I just have to re-listen to that one!

Besides that, I like the two-parter episode 76, but you should only listen to that one if you really like Tompkins' ALW impression. Which I do. God help me I love it.

Ga'HOOOOOLE!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Majorian posted:

The second two are amazing, but I don't remember the Giamatti impression for some reason. I guess I just have to re-listen to that one!

Besides that, I like the two-parter episode 76, but you should only listen to that one if you really like Tompkins' ALW impression. Which I do. God help me I love it.

Ga'HOOOOOLE!

One of the many jokes I have stolen from PFT to seem funnier in front of my friends. "Ga'HOOOOOOLE" is SO fun to in my defense. But NO ONE in my family found my Cake Boss impression endearing on Thanksgiving.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I finally started listening to WTF, so a couple thoughts on the ones I've heard.
-Robin Williams seems like the saddest person in the world. Not pathetic, just really unhappy.
-Something about Maria Bamford makes me have a huge crush on her, despite her being twice my age and crazy.
-Marc Maron is a good interviewer, but his pre-interview ramblings are kind of irritating.
-The first Mencia interview made me feel really bad for him, but the second one disgusted me and made me dislike him even more than I did before.
-Maybe it was the lack of nicotene, but Marc acted like a huuuge rear end in a top hat in the Dane Cook episode. I mean I'm certainly not Dane's biggest fan, but holy poo poo.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I finally started listening to WTF, so a couple thoughts on the ones I've heard.
-Robin Williams seems like the saddest person in the world. Not pathetic, just really unhappy.
-Something about Maria Bamford makes me have a huge crush on her, despite her being twice my age and crazy.
-Marc Maron is a good interviewer, but his pre-interview ramblings are kind of irritating.
-The first Mencia interview made me feel really bad for him, but the second one disgusted me and made me dislike him even more than I did before.
-Maybe it was the lack of nicotene, but Marc acted like a huuuge rear end in a top hat in the Dane Cook episode. I mean I'm certainly not Dane's biggest fan, but holy poo poo.

The Dane Cook interview was really great. Dane Cook's not an rear end in a top hat, he just know what to do, really.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

-I got the opposite impression. He seemed nice and funny and pretty at peace with his place in the world, and his interview really made me like him.

-There's something irresistable to me about her, even though she is so loving nuts. I hate to qualify it like this, but she's my favorite Female Comedian.

-Maron's ramblings are sometimes my favorite thing about the show. It's like a bonus peek into his weird mind.

-Agreed on both counts. When he was talking about how he could ignite some kind of Mexican uprising, his act being so powerful, I wanted to loving hit him. And if I never hear Marc say "building your clown" again it'll be too soon.

-I'm no Dane Cook megafan or anything, but he strikes me as a likeable guy, and he's usually pretty positive and upbeat about his place in the comedy world. People really should leave him alone, if for no other reason than the whole Cook bashing thing is so goddamn cliche at this point.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 5, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It may just be that I my only experience with Robin Williams is his more manic persona, so him being so quiet and reserved made him seem kind of depressed. His riffing about the day after a bender at the end was really darkly funny though. I'd really like to hear more from him in that vein.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It may just be that I my only experience with Robin Williams is his more manic persona, so him being so quiet and reserved made him seem kind of depressed. His riffing about the day after a bender at the end was really darkly funny though. I'd really like to hear more from him in that vein.

I think Robin's standup ranges from cute to awful. The poo poo he did in the 70s was, in my opinion, terrible, though if you get a chance to catch some of it, you should. I don't like it, but a lot of people loved his early stuff, and it's just kind of interesting to see a coked to the loving gills Robin Williams yelling at an audience for 90 minutes. His dramatic work in film is truly something special, even if it's more in the so-called "dramedy" vein, and any time you hear him being more candid than schticky, like on his WTF spot, he comes across as a pretty dynamic guy who's wrestled with a lot of demons in his day. I've always liked his more vulnerable side, and he manages to really expose a lot of himself on WTF, and that's why I end up being such a fan of Marc Maron's show. When you go on there, you don't have a tendency to be such a "persona".

For the record, I really want the Branson rear end in a top hat that tried to buy his way onto WTF to make an appearance. It couldn't be anything short of magical.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

DangerDummy! posted:

For the record, I really want the Branson rear end in a top hat that tried to buy his way onto WTF to make an appearance. It couldn't be anything short of magical.

I think it would be interesting, too. However the guy seems so insanely bitter towards the comedy world that I doubt it would be anything more than a defensive rant if he went on WTF. I mean his act is really hacky, lowest common denominator poo poo but if he isn't lying about his gigs then he should just be smug and laugh all the way to the bank.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
DLM - Fifty WHAT popcorn kernels in his teeth? I haven't been able to understand that lyric in any of the versions of the song. Sounds like "azin." Yeah I know I could google it.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
"pounds of"

EDIT: Google says it's "Fifteen ads and popcorn kernels"

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I thought it was "fifty thousand pounds of popcorn kernals".

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
I just love the line: "There's no room in his heart for you cuz Doug Loves Moveeees!"

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

j8910 posted:

"pounds of"

EDIT: Google says it's "Fifteen ads and popcorn kernels"

There's an early episode where they talk about this line, Can't remember which one but it's probably one with Hard N' Phirm or at least just Hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Anyone listen to Greg Fitzsimmons? I decided to go through a few episodes starting with the Norm MacDonald one. Not only could I barely hear Norm, but he sounded like he was barely conscious. Big disappointment there. The Brian Regan one is great, though.

I'm giving it a shot because of Fitzsimmons' appearances on other podcasts. Is it worth going through the back catalog of episodes?

• Locked thread