Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a new development snapshot out. It now automatically stacks links you open from a page, and gestures have reverted to their old behavior.

It checks each part of the gesture against the gesture threshold, so the second motion (in e.g. down, right) doesn't have to be longer than the first. On the other hand I can't find the option to disable the mouse gesture popup-helper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Mithaldu posted:

It doesn't, but you can get them anyhow. Browse to a page where a password was stored, edit the cache to change the type of the password field to "text", reload from cache, hit ctrl+enter and ESC and there's the password in clear text. Up to you how much of a risk you regard that as.

Considering how well you've detailed this problem, have you submitted it as a bug?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

NFX posted:

On the other hand I can't find the option to disable the mouse gesture popup-helper.

It's in "opera:config", the "Show Gesture UI" setting. Has it disappeared in the latest build? (I can't restart the browser yet to install it.)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Heresiarch posted:

It's in "opera:config", the "Show Gesture UI" setting. Has it disappeared in the latest build? (I can't restart the browser yet to install it.)
Yep, it's missing in the latest build.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
And my tab stacks behave weirdly in the latest build (I can't remember if they did this previously):

On on page, outside a stack, I shift/middle click two links, and all three pages become a stack. I then switch to both pages, in turn, and then close the newest. The focus then jumps back to the original page, instead of the last-viewed page. "When closing a tab" is of course set to "Activate the last active tab".

Edit:
Here's another fun bug. Have a tab stack, and minimize all pages in the same window, so you get the gray background. Collapse the stack. On my installation, the stack disappears competely from the tab bar, although it is still accessible from the windows-list and from ctrl+tab.

NFX fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 6, 2010

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Nice, instapaper's 'read later' bookmarklet works again on this new build.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Heresiarch posted:

Considering how well you've detailed this problem, have you submitted it as a bug?
It's not really much of a bug, as there's a ton of ways to get saved passwords out of a password manager. At worst it takes about five minutes to just sniff the passwords as they're sent to the site with a http debugger.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Heresiarch posted:

The only possible fix to this would be: Hide all auto-filled field values. I'm not sure this really counts as a bug though. Feel free to if you want to.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
Interesting.

If you go to Preferences in the beta and try to delete some HTML5 local storage, the selected element in the list is not the deleted element!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Mithaldu posted:

The only possible fix to this would be: Hide all auto-filled field values. I'm not sure this really counts as a bug though. Feel free to if you want to.

But don't report it as a bug please, please. SOmetimes that's the only way to figure what forgotten password are.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

kapalama posted:

But don't report it as a bug please, please. SOmetimes that's the only way to figure what forgotten password are.

you could just use the get password powerbutton from http://operawiki.info/PowerButtons#retrievewand
Really the only way to stop this is to add a master password to encrypt your wand passwords, which opera lets you do. The passwords will have to be in clear text on your system at some point in order to submit them to the server, anything that looks more secure is just a false sense of security.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Yeah, the reality is that password obfuscation is mostly pointless. The Pidgin instant messager stores all your passwords in plaintext on purpose, and they have a web page explaining the rationale, which is similar in this case.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Charun posted:

you could just use the get password powerbutton from http://operawiki.info/PowerButtons#retrievewand
Really the only way to stop this is to add a master password to encrypt your wand passwords, which opera lets you do. The passwords will have to be in clear text on your system at some point in order to submit them to the server, anything that looks more secure is just a false sense of security.

Yeah I use that one in fact. I was just saying that that 'lack of security' is OK for me since I lock the whole user account. I expect that once I am in, it is all mine.

NOt giving me access to something that it has to provide anyway is as above poster said false sense of security (for me anyway).

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

New opera version with a whole bunch of fixes:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/12/06/extension-improvements-updates-to-core-and-some-other-nice-fixes

Most importantly for me: It can actually load all my tabs again when starting up without crashing and the gesture sensitivity seems nicer now.

Bad parts: The "Remove from view" menu entry is still broken though, tabs opened with middle-click now get stacked automatically, the :config option for the gesture display is gone.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

And another nice thing they just posted: An open API for Opera Link.

http://my.opera.com/operalink/blog/2010/12/06/expanding-the-potential

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mithaldu posted:

Bad parts ... tabs opened with middle-click now get stacked automatically

I don't understand how you can consider this a bad thing. While I would like the option of per domain or via browsing, this change is the only thing that makes tab stacking workable because the manual method was impossible to put into practice.

Edit: I really do hope they work out the next tab/previous tab stuff because they way it jumps around last build and this build is an impediment to really enjoying stacks as much as I should.

Edit: Fair enough :)
V V V

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 7, 2010

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

I don't understand how you can consider this a bad thing.
The automatically part is bad for me. I can't switch it off. And for my use patterns stacks are broken right now.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The gesture ui option is gone, we didn't get an option for automatically put into stacks, and stacks are broken for some usage patterns. I think I'll skip this one. :(

Reith
Jul 23, 2007
Visual mouse gestures with no option to disable them is driving me nuts. I wish I had skipped this most recent beta.

Also, are mouse gestures still acting up for anyone else or is it just me? Because I'm about ready to just use 10.63 again.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Personally, all of the comments in this thread convinced me to never try an Opera beta. I'd rather be excited about all the new features actually working when it comes out than be disappointed because I just found something new but can't use it yet.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I'm mostly using the "standalone" install for betas, which creates a portable directory-contained version, so there's no risk for loving up my previous versions.

Y'all need to do the gestures quicker if the overlay bothers you that much, i rarely ever see it.

I like how you can have multiple stacks expanded now, the autostacking gets a few minutes to get used to though. All in all i'm quite happy with it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Reith posted:

Also, are mouse gestures still acting up for anyone else or is it just me? Because I'm about ready to just use 10.63 again.

I'm feeling comfortable enough with them to believe that the code is back to being pretty identical to what it was in 10. No more need for second gestures to be longer than first gestures and it seems to not mistake imperfect up/down for left/right and vice versa any more. If it isn't 10s code, it's really close to it.

Zero The Hero posted:

Personally, all of the comments in this thread convinced me to never try an Opera beta. I'd rather be excited about all the new features actually working when it comes out than be disappointed because I just found something new but can't use it yet.

It's not a bad stance to take although I would generally say that almost all Opera betas are perfectly operable for me. I'm rarely using anything but the current Opera beta and that's not true of any other software but Opera. Their tab stacking is one of the least mature things they've beta'd to my recollection.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 8, 2010

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Zero The Hero posted:

Well yeah, but that's true of all beta software; if you don't want to deal with bugs, then stay away from unfinished software. Although, as Ape Agitator said above me, the betas have hardly ever given me significant trouble personally. The tab stacking definitely seems sub-beta quality, but it works well enough for me at present.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

I'm feeling comfortable enough with them to believe that the code is back to being pretty identical to what it was in 10. No more need for second gestures to be longer than first gestures and it seems to not mistake imperfect up/down for left/right and vice versa any more. If it isn't 10s code, it's really close to it.

It's not a bad stance to take although I would generally say that almost all Opera betas are perfectly operable for me. I'm rarely using anything but the current Opera beta and that's not true of any other software but Opera. Their tab stacking is one of the least mature things they've beta'd to my recollection.

They're probably trying to push it as quickly as possible because of FF4's new tab management system. And it's a good thing, if Opera doesn't get something, I'm liable to switch when FF4 comes out. I need better tab management badly.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Y'all need to do the gestures quicker if the overlay bothers you that much, i rarely ever see it.
I use right-click-scroll to scroll through my tabs. You'd have to be ridiculously fast to keep it from appearing there.

Zero The Hero posted:

They're probably trying to push it as quickly as possible because of FF4's new tab management system. And it's a good thing, if Opera doesn't get something, I'm liable to switch when FF4 comes out. I need better tab management badly.

The sad thing here is: Opera can be as fast as it wants to, everyone will think FF had it first anyhow.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Mithaldu posted:

I use right-click-scroll to scroll through my tabs. You'd have to be ridiculously fast to keep it from appearing there.
Fair point, i completely forgot about that. I can see how that must be horribly irritating.

I still really miss the gestures on treeviews that vanished with the gesture change, i can't imagine a reason why they'd intentionally remove that feature. Guess i'll throw in a bug report...

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

The sad thing here is: Opera can be as fast as it wants to, everyone will think FF had it first anyhow.

The group who releases it first "has" it first. And FF has had what is essentially tab stacking for a while through extensions.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Zero The Hero posted:

The group who releases it first "has" it first. And FF has had what is essentially tab stacking for a while through extensions.

Contrary to popular belief, extensions are something most people don't care about, nevermind know.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

In the recent betas, right-click+scrollwheel works even if you have mouse gestures turned off, and if you have mouse gestures turned off you don't get the pop-up. I use right-click+scrollwheel and have never used mouse gestures so the current betas work fine for me.

If your gmail stopped working this morning, the latest beta drop fixes that.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Riso posted:

Contrary to popular belief, extensions are something most people don't care about, nevermind know.

I don't know a single person who runs firefox without at least one extension. I know the tab tree extension is the reason I tried it out, recently. I don't know what your point is, either, but I'm not entirely sure I understood your meaning.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Zero The Hero posted:

I don't know what your point is, either, but I'm not entirely sure I understood your meaning.

I think the argument is basic features vs extensions in that Opera having a browser with tab grouping is different than a browser having tab grouping via an extension (or a hack or whatever) in that the former is enjoyed by all users of the browser and the latter is enjoyed only by those who have installed the extension. Like any other add-on based feature, people only have it if someone told them about it, they happened upon it themselves, or they were interested in a function and knew where to look to see if it existed.

Consider that only a portion of the Firefox users are aware of Adblock, and fewer use it, despite it being both the most popular extension, a logical thing to want to look up, and one of the most talked about extensions.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

How is that any different from the vast majority of Opera optionts that most people never look at? I'm guessing only a small number of people ever go to opera:config.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Zero The Hero posted:

How is that any different from the vast majority of Opera optionts that most people never look at? I'm guessing only a small number of people ever go to opera:config.
It's not, which is one of the reasons why new stuff in Opera is always on by default and it's disabling things that requires digging through the config.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Hello! Does anyone know why I can't map "Open Image" to a keystroke?

I've used Opera for years now, and always had it set up so that if I right-click an image and hit o, it opens the image clean, exactly the same as selecting "Open Image" in the rmb menu. The other day, I upgraded to version 10.63 and now it seems that when I add a new shortcut (o Open Image), it decides that what I REALLY meant was just "Open," and behaves accordingly. Which of course is no good if the image I'm trying to isolate is also a link.

It might be relevant to add that this is the first Opera upgrade I've done since version 10.10, due to a silly bug that persisted through a few newer versions, whereby tabs I'd had open and then moved away from would behave as if they'd been minimised - still there in the tabs, but not clickable or reachable via keyboard shortcuts, only by finding them on the taskbar icon. This made browsing with Opera a huge headache, so I always went back to 10.10. It's stopped happening now, and this Open Image thing is the one remaining problem I still have.

Of course, it's rearing its head constantly now, like a persistant itch. I'd love to fix it.

Can anyone help with this?

(Edit - If it makes any difference, I still use the Opera 9.2 Compatible shortcuts because, as you can tell, I am just old enough that change frightens me.)

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 9, 2010

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Buml0r posted:

Can anyone help with this?

I can replicate this (tried mapping it to a basic gesture and the "Open Image" action produces no effect even though the right click menu option "Open Image" does indeed produce a page of nothing but the image.

This is without using 9.2 compatible shortcuts so that's not the source of the problem.

I'd say it's a bug.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Ape Agitator posted:

I'd say it's a bug.

D'oh! Oh well. Thanks for confirming it for me.

Does this same thing happen in the 11 beta? I'd happily upgrade to that if it fixes the problem (unless it's all screwey in some way, but I can't find mention of that over the last few pages).

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, the 11 beta apparently doesn't do anything with the Open Image assignment.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Wait, you mean it doesn't do anything to fix the problem, so it won't help, or it doesn't do anything wrong with it in the first place, so it will help? :v:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Buml0r posted:

Wait, you mean it doesn't do anything to fix the problem, so it won't help, or it doesn't do anything wrong with it in the first place, so it will help? :v:

No, just that as a bug it wasn't fixed in the 11 beta or perhaps it was introduced as a bug recently and not identified yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Ok, bug report submitted. I noticed s I was doing it that it claimed to be a 32-bit version of the browser, when I'm on the 64-bit Win7. Have I installed the wrong thing? Should I go looking for a 64-bit version, or does it make no difference (for any reason, I mean, not just my particular problem)?