Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

nm posted:

Immigration law has 4 areas as far as i can tell.
1. Working for non-profits helping the poor
2. Corporate soul-sucking law firm getting H1-Bs and the like.
3. Working for the government deporting people.
4. poo poo-law

Number 4 is most people.
Number 2 makes money.
Number 3 makes you evil, but you're a federal employee. Pension!
Number 1 is like getting a gig with the ACLU. Pays bad (like lol $80k) so everyone can in right guy?

Nearly everyone wants to be number 1. Like 12 people are getting paid for #1.

I have practiced in #1 and could go back if I wanted to. The ways to get in are 1)nepotism and, to a lesser extent, 2)being fluent or native - preferably native - in an 'important' foreign language. Spanish might be best but I think there's a ton of competition, so you're really looking at something like Russian, Mandarin, Portuguese, etc. depending on your town's immigrant population. If you don't, it is extremely difficult to get your resume noticed, because one of the biggest needs of every immigration non-profit is qualified interpreters and it saves a huge amount of effort to have fluent attorneys.

#4 is not AS bad as 'shitlaw' would have you believe because it's much easier to get out and start your own practice - most of the work on a 'fresh' client with no criminal record that hasn't been in deportation proceedings yet is routine. It's just not very easy to massively screw up an I-485 unless your client lies to you (except a lot of them will). Oh, that foreign language thing? Yeah, that's a must.

In conclusion, no jobs die alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

JimTheSarcastic posted:

Jumping in a shark tank with blood on the water...

I've been considering applying to law school next year (and would start presumably in fall 2012) with thoughts of practicing oil and gas law. I have several years of relevant experience as a petroleum "landman" (analyzing real estate title and writing title reports for purposes of leasing, curing up title issues, etc.) and actually really enjoy the work. I know that at least some oil and gas attorneys do primarily high-level work that is similar to (though obviously more challenging than) the work that I do now.

Unfortunately, the work I currently do isn't likely to last beyond the next couple years. I'm not sure whether the legal work I'm interested in will last beyond that, but it is certainly something I plan to really analyze before deciding whether to apply in the fall. If it is feasible at all, I would already have a lot of networking and recommendations built up through my clients over the past 6 years of title work.

Note: I wouldn't go into debt for a law degree for any reason whatsoever. This thread has taught me that much at least. Fortunately, I have options on that front.

This doesn't sound like a terrible plan. But why don't you talk to some of the attorneys you know now? This sounds like one of those niche industries where an insider perspective is helpful.

Keep in mind that law school won't actually teach you anything about practicing, or much about oil and gas law. It's considered usual to spend at least a few years with an experienced attorney before going out on your own -- although your situation might be different.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

JimTheSarcastic posted:

I've been considering applying to law school next year (and would start presumably in fall 2012) with thoughts of practicing oil and gas law. I have several years of relevant experience as a petroleum "landman" (analyzing real estate title and writing title reports for purposes of leasing, curing up title issues, etc.) and actually really enjoy the work. I know that at least some oil and gas attorneys do primarily high-level work that is similar to (though obviously more challenging than) the work that I do now.

Unfortunately, the work I currently do isn't likely to last beyond the next couple years. I'm not sure whether the legal work I'm interested in will last beyond that, but it is certainly something I plan to really analyze before deciding whether to apply in the fall. If it is feasible at all, I would already have a lot of networking and recommendations built up through my clients over the past 6 years of title work.

Note: I wouldn't go into debt for a law degree for any reason whatsoever. This thread has taught me that much at least. Fortunately, I have options on that front.

Add "in Alaska" to your post and you might actually stand a chance of becoming gainfully employed out of law school.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Blinkz0rz posted:

Add "in Alaska" to your post and you might actually stand a chance of becoming gainfully employed out of law school.

Actually, there is currently an oil and gas drilling boom in Ohio, New York and Pennsylvania RIGHT NOW due to the discovery of oil in something called the "marcellus shale" formation. But I emphasize the "RIGHT NOW" portion of the statement, because the landmen have descended and drilling is going on like crazy. I have no idea if this boom will last long enough for that dude to get through law school.

HOWEVER, that dude's original post was a great example of how going to law school can be a good idea when you have a plan for developing a practice, and aren't just planning to get into the top 10% so someone hands you a good job.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

JimTheSarcastic posted:

Check V&E's web site to see if anyone went to your undergrad and then give them a call and ask if you can talk to them about law school. They do a ton of work for energy companies. I do not know whether or not they do any work that is similar to what you do but I suspect that either they do not or they do it as a courtesy for their clients. Still, your background in the industry would probably reflect very well on you if you went to law school, did well and then interviewed with them.

http://www.velaw.com/

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

JimTheSarcastic posted:

You're in better shape than most, but ask yourself if your connections and knowledge might serve you better without $200k of debt.
Also, you still need to do a T14. You'll also need to manage to keep up your connections in 3 years of law school.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Not sure the last time I saw entris in here, but I just wanted to congratulate him on his excellent troll in Games.

jtsold
Jul 6, 2004
dlostj
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, there is currently an oil boom in many parts of the country, and it is going to bust eventually, which is why I say I don't expect my current work to last. And I'm conscious of the fact that I wouldn't be done with law school until 5 years from now at the earliest. As I understand it, though, there will still be significant drilling for decades after my particular job is no longer in high demand. I've seen the "archeaological record" in the title: In the past, even in the decades between oil booms, there are still major title issues to be cured, large transactions/mergers/acquisitions between oil companies, contracts establishing areas of mutual interest, etc. I will definitely have a chat with some lawyers and industry folk who have been in the business for a couple decades. They should have some insight into how practical my plans would be. I'll also talk to them about whether (and how) I might be able to parlay my experience into a long-term career even without a law degree.

As for schools, I've been strongly considering UT-Austin, considering it's a highly ranked school (though not quite T14), and it's in Oil Country, USA. (And I hear Austin is a pretty bitchin' city.) I think I would have a good shot at getting in, too, since I was very competitive in undergrad and did pretty decent on my first "cold" LSAT practice test.

I really appreciate this thread; it's really forced me to take a realistic look at all this and plan accordingly.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Does anyone have any practice civpro exams?

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

nm posted:

You're in better shape than most, but ask yourself if your connections and knowledge might serve you better without $200k of debt.
Also, you still need to do a T14. You'll also need to manage to keep up your connections in 3 years of law school.

I disagree on the T14 thing. You'll want to go to law school close to where you want to practice, to keep up contacts and stay active in your field. And often niche firms in weird areas have strong relationships with a particular school. Plus I doubt HLS has any oil and gas law classes.

Why not see if you can do a night program while still working?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Copernic posted:

I disagree on the T14 thing. You'll want to go to law school close to where you want to practice, to keep up contacts and stay active in your field. And often niche firms in weird areas have strong relationships with a particular school. Plus I doubt HLS has any oil and gas law classes.

Why not see if you can do a night program while still working?

I disagree with the T14 thing too. I would recommend the T5. Every oil lawyer I know went to HYS (except for one from Northeastern of all places). UT-Austin may work for Texas, but in Alaska they like HYS people.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
53.5 hours until the close of motions.

Daubert motion & memo: All set.
Summary judgment motion & memo: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

yay more law schools :woop:

quote:

The University of Delaware wants to be home to the state's first public law school.

UD's Vice President Larry White tells WDEL their first class law program would center around Delaware's status as a corporate capital.

"Taking advantage of Delaware’s unique stature as a corporate center to develop specialties in areas that are of interest to the corporate community.

White says if the plan gets formal approval, the school would open its doors in Newark in 2015.

"Having a flagship state university with legal scholars offers exciting synergies with lawyers, judges, and like all law schools in the United States it would be a competitive process to be admitted and to study law at the University of Delaware."

Delaware has just one law school right now -- the Widener University School of Law in Brandywine Hundred.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I had an interview today for a government position in an area of law I really like.

I hope they aren't inundated with qualified applicants :ohdear:

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 8, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Linguica posted:

On the plus side, at least law schools still have to be based in the country to be accredited.

For now, anyway

ewr2870
May 8, 2007
A JD is a versatile degree. See United States v. Williams, 205 F.3d 23, 25-26 (2d Cir. 2000):

quote:

In 1995, Williams, then a law student at Columbia, persuaded Fleurancois and Carmichael to join him in a scheme to import cocaine from Jamaica. According to Williams's plan, they would hire strippers to act as couriers. The trio would go to Jamaica where Williams would buy cocaine, and have the strippers smuggle the cocaine back into the United States inside their bodies. Williams told his cohorts that he had successfully used this method to import cocaine several times in the past. Carmichael, who knew several strippers, was placed in charge of finding a suitable woman to act as a courier.
In April 1997, Williams and Fleurancois revised the plan. This time, Williams offered Fleurancois $10,000 to become the courier himself by carrying the cocaine in his stomach. Williams assured Fleurancois that he could safely swallow the cocaine encased in several small plastic packages and expel them after he arrived in the United States. Williams told Fleurancois that he usually imported cocaine in this manner with a courier named Steve, but that Steve was unavailable. Fleurancois, who was then saddled with approximately $45,000 in student loan and credit card debt, agreed to the plan.

In order to learn what law enforcement authorities looked for in identifying drug smugglers, the pair researched drug profiles on Westlaw, a computerized legal database. Notes from the research session, in Williams's and Fleurancois's handwriting, were introduced into evidence, as were computer printouts of some of the research materials bearing Williams's name and student Westlaw password.

ewr2870 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 8, 2010

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
Oil and gas seems actually reasonable if you have connections. My boss last summer made a lot of money doing it as part of his practice before becoming a judge.

On the other hand, don't even think about going to a local TTT if you can get into a T14 or even a lower T1 school. Your connections will be there if you go to Yale or Cooley, and no firm is going to take someone from a TTT over someone from a T14 who actually has experience and can articulate a plausible reason why they want to work there. On the other hand, you might have a huge amount of opportunities you never thought about if you do well, and going to a top school will open up opportunities within Oil and Gas-- i.e., bigger firms that handle that subject, in-house for BP, or whatever, that would never be available to someone from a TTT.

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 8, 2010

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Solomon Grundy posted:

Actually, there is currently an oil and gas drilling boom in Ohio, New York and Pennsylvania RIGHT NOW due to the discovery of oil in something called the "marcellus shale" formation. But I emphasize the "RIGHT NOW" portion of the statement, because the landmen have descended and drilling is going on like crazy. I have no idea if this boom will last long enough for that dude to get through law school.

HOWEVER, that dude's original post was a great example of how going to law school can be a good idea when you have a plan for developing a practice, and aren't just planning to get into the top 10% so someone hands you a good job.
Good work to do in a boom/bust oil economy is crim defense. DUI and domestic violence are the bread and butter where I live. I'd say a solid 30% of intake is an oilfield guy that got drunk and went driving, beat up his girlfriend, or both.

21 day on 7 day off "but you can work overtime if you want!" Halliburton drivers. :madmax:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Save me jeebus posted:

Good work to do in a boom/bust oil economy is crim defense. DUI and domestic violence are the bread and butter where I live. I'd say a solid 30% of intake is an oilfield guy that got drunk and went driving, beat up his girlfriend, or both.

21 day on 7 day off "but you can work overtime if you want!" Halliburton drivers. :madmax:
How hard is the Wyoming bar?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Linguica posted:

They should put that school in whatever town Dogfish Head's pub is, then when you waste your life there you can say "well at least I drank some great beer"

jtsold
Jul 6, 2004
dlostj

Save me jeebus posted:

I imagine. A friend of mine became a cop in my hometown (a boom town). He says they spend a large amount of their time responding to calls of bar fights. There would probably be a large amount of domestic abuse, if only there were any women in that town.

vvvvv Yep, I'm aware of too-much-money-for-their-own-good syndrome; I work in the oil industry myself, y'know. The only difference is that I don't go out and buy a brand new truck for sticker price (complete with TruckNutz) and then crash it after a night of drinking and fighting in a bar. Nope, I just save up for law school.

jtsold fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 8, 2010

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
^^^^^
When the women are present, they are usually there playing the "stand by my man" role until he's in jail or back to the oilfield. My first intake, a young couple came in, probably my age late 20s-early 30s. He, of course, got busted for DUI at the local watering hole. He already had a DV against the wife. She sauntered in and casually whipped a silver toothpick out of her Prada handbag to pick her meth teeth. She gave no fucks about the previous DV, but yelled at him in the office (rather than the conference room) that she hoped his Saturday night was worth the $3500 to defend the DUI.

They paid cash in full.

nm posted:

How hard is the Wyoming bar?

Probably easy as gently caress.

I'm in CO, actually, but many of our younger clients bought houses at inflated prices, and now work out of state while keeping ties here (read: they get into trouble here). I'd say a good portion of them work in WY or ND; a smattering in Utah. They're young, angry, drunk, probably on cocaine/meth on occasion, must have a DL/CDL to keep their lifestyle, and have more money than they can spend in their off time.

Also, of those clients probably 80% of them started their evening at one particular bar.

So do DUI defense and invest heavily in oil and bars I guess.

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 8, 2010

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Who actually lives in DE and practices corporate law? A law school focusing on the DGCL sounds dreadful. Frankly I'm a little surprised given all the bullshit schools that it's taken this long for another to pop up there.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I love you, midnight filing deadlines.
I love you, ECF.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Wishing you and your inner circle luck this week and next on exams.

Your good friend,

Sigmachiev

E: I had a big hilarious picture but its too big

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 8, 2010

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

BigHead posted:

I disagree with the T14 thing too. I would recommend the T5. Every oil lawyer I know went to HYS (except for one from Northeastern of all places). UT-Austin may work for Texas, but in Alaska they like HYS people.

http://www.velaw.com/lawyers/lawyersearch_result.aspx?fname=&lname=&pname=&school=texas&office=&ip=&id=1134

UT is OK for energy. Otherwise HYS or bust. It's not clear to me that Alaska has a bunch of folks practicing energy law.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Here's a thing I put together for the Harvard Law Record.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Artwork in the background is good, but the humor is merely ok for you. Your prior strips are snappy and hilarious, and the facial expressions are great in your prior work (and in this one, although they are a little obscured).

The funny flow-chart thing is hard to pull off because each box (or couples of boxes) has to be funny, and that's tough.

I've had your LJ bookmarked for a while now, it's on my daily rotation of webcomics. I'm excited to watch you develop as a comic artist and eventually publish a law-themed webcomic and then I can buy the book copy for my collection.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Red Bean Juice posted:

owns

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Red Bean Juice posted:

This is really great.

But what if you're a Yale man? :smug:

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

The Warszawa posted:

This is really great.

But what if you're a Yale man? :smug:

I can't believe you even considered Harvard. You would have missed out on so much smuggery.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

entris posted:

I've had your LJ bookmarked for a while now, it's on my daily rotation of webcomics. I'm excited to watch you develop as a comic artist and eventually publish a law-themed webcomic and then I can buy the book copy for my collection.

I'm flattered, but I hope you mean I'm on your RSS and not that you literally check daily, considering how my update schedule is more akin to Dresden Codak than Dinosaur Comics

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Red Bean Juice posted:

I'm flattered, but I hope you mean I'm on your RSS and not that you literally check daily, considering how my update schedule is more akin to Dresden Codak than Dinosaur Comics

No RSS feeds here, I check my webcomics by opening an entire bookmarks folder in tabs, all at once.

I enjoy doing that because I'll typically reread each comic, take a closer look at the artwork. That way I get more out of each comic that gets tossed up.

I hate your LJ hosting though, to be honest. : \ I know Kate Beaton has a mirror on LJ but her non-LJ site is so much better.

Four Finger Wu
Jan 11, 2008
Hi I just wanted to introduce myself - I am an attorney in Los Angeles and I do high end estate planning. I haven't seen much talk about trusts and estates, but if anyone is interested in the practice, I am happy to answer questions or talk about it.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Four Finger Wu posted:

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself - I am an attorney in Los Angeles and I do high end estate planning. I haven't seen much talk about trusts and estates, but if anyone is interested in the practice, I am happy to answer questions or talk about it.

When I was a 1L/2L, I totally wanted to be a T&E attorney on the theory that there appeared to be 4 of you per BIGLAW firm and yet none of you needed to bill anything in a hurry because your clients were all rich and dead.

Is this true? Did I miss the miracle oasis in the middle of the wasteland?

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Four Finger Wu posted:

Any concerns over the new exemption amounts? I'd definitely like to talk about the work you do once I get through finals if that's OK.

Welcome to the thread!

Four Finger Wu
Jan 11, 2008

Adar posted:

When I was a 1L/2L, I totally wanted to be a T&E attorney on the theory that there appeared to be 4 of you per BIGLAW firm and yet none of you needed to bill anything in a hurry because your clients were all rich and dead.

Is this true? Did I miss the miracle oasis in the middle of the wasteland?

Some firms are set up where it is one old partner and some young female associates who do estate planning for the clients as a service on the side - for the most part. I think those groups are more of an oasis, but there isn't a lot of potential to make partner if you are an associate.

We have a more aggressive practice so everyone is billing on par with other groups. The advantage is that there are fewer deadlines than say, litigation or corporate, so when you bill hours is up to you - but at the end of the day, the firms have a billing expectation and our group isn't exempt. Also, we're busy so there is not really the option to bill less.

Four Finger Wu
Jan 11, 2008

tau posted:

Any concerns over the new exemption amounts? I'd definitely like to talk about the work you do once I get through finals if that's OK.

Welcome to the thread!

Thank you! I read the thread for a while before dropping in.

The biggest concern right now is predictability. No one I know really cares what the exemption amounts or rates end up at - but everyone is biting their nails to get some certainty ASAP.

Some clients are considering doing some planned taxable giving this year because of the 35% rate, but that makes a lot less sense if next year the estate tax rate will also be 35%, plus there is a potential for a higher exemption amount so that gifts wouldn't even be taxable.

I love talking about this stuff so feel free to ask whenever. Good luck with finals.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

JimTheSarcastic posted:

I hope you enjoy the balmy houston weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

gvibes posted:

I hope you enjoy the balmy houston weather.

Saves on the cost of sauna. Use the savings for gas.