Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I wish we had known too, we went to a parade where we live in Richmond but would have gone to that one in a heart beat.

e: whatup va corgoons
ee: is whoever runs corgiaddict here? :ninja:

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good pet insurance? Loki has been having some issues with vomiting and diarrhea. In exploring the cause of this, an X-ray showed his hips don't look the greatest. He has no issues right now, but he will down the road.

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006
My boyfriend bought me a forums account so we could spend more time together. On the internet.

abaddonis posted:

Can anyone recommend a good pet insurance? Loki has been having some issues with vomiting and diarrhea. In exploring the cause of this, an X-ray showed his hips don't look the greatest. He has no issues right now, but he will down the road.

If I was looking for insurance, I'd start by asking my vet what he takes.

I don't really have any recommendations, but don't most boot-out claims for pre-existing conditions and high-likelihood illnesses that run in certain breeds?

:( I'm sorry Loki isn't doing well.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I thought I should let you guys know that in my infinite ridiculousness I have launched a photo blog for Taziki. The theme is something I need to add a lot more functionality to but I just haven't had the time.

http://www.tazikiworld.com

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
He's getting so big! Still a very silly dog...

This was after I told him "down" and "wait." He stayed there until I said "all right!" and jumped up in the air, waving his paws, with the hat still on his face. SO CUTE!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Ein all shaved down to be the ring-bearer at my wedding :3:

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
A little update from before. it seems Loki might have developed a food allergy. He had been fine on a brand of food called Fromm (surf and turf) for quite some time. He was put on a perscription science diet and was fine. once he got off of it, he started having bouts of diarrhea again. Again, we put him back on the food and he's fine

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
It's time for a photo-full Corwin update. He's almost 16 weeks old now, and he's getting to be a big boy. I weighed him today and he's 16 pounds! One for each week.

He's eating three meals of Evo red meat small bites with a bit of yogurt and water, and sometimes a little pumpkin mashed in. He seems to LOVE any and all food we give him, so he's pretty easy to train, but he's not reliable when distracted.

His teeth are bothering him now, and he likes chewing on ice cubes, his "yummy bone" (pressed rawhide), or his lamb bone. He still wishes the cat would be his best friend, but as he gets older, bigger, and faster, the less the cat wants to do with him and the more he seems to delight in harassing Corwin. They still play outside, though.

He seems to love all dogs and people, and isn't really afraid of anything (yet). We hope to keep socializing him well and avoid any big freak-outs in puberty.

Anyway, here're some photos from the last four weeks. His adult coat is coming in dark along his spine and tail, his ear tips are more prominent, and his widow's peak and guyliner are looking fab. I can't wait to see how he looks when he's done growing.

Lamb bone, yum!

Meeting new friend Walter for the first time. Not sure at first...

But then, YAAAAAAAY!

Oh god, what is that.

RAWWWGGHHHH LEAF PILE

Corwin growing some balls, and already filthy dirty from playing with Walter. Shortly after, he got his first bath.

One night, Rupert decided he was going to hole up in Corwin's crate. This distressed Corwin greatly, but he was too wary of the cat to do anything but pout and look pathetic...

From Sunday at Alki:

Windy ears!

In his room...

Finally, an iphone photo of Christmas antlers (with mistletoe?) at the pet store...

And that's it for now. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Ohhh man Corwin is a bundle of :3:, seriously.

I have something to contribute to the thread! My latest foster is a Pem/Chi mix according to the oh-so-lovely BYB who dropped him off at a Fremont shelter ( :rolleyes: ) and he may be going to a new home tomorrow so I have to take the opportunity to post pics now.

He's pretty derpy most of the time and I enjoy his weird little white toes. :3:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Haha, what a funky looking dog. He looks like quite the character. I can't imagine what a Pem/Chi would be like.

Also, Wonder Bra your pictures are gorgeous.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Nice dog :3: Butters was about 16 pounds at four months so maybe my dog doesn't have dwarfism after all (or maybe your does)

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

C-Euro posted:

Nice dog :3: Butters was about 16 pounds at four months so maybe my dog doesn't have dwarfism after all (or maybe your does)

Looks like that's actually pretty big. I'm reading stories online of people whose smaller corgis were 6-8 lbs at 4 mos. (Some are female.) We expect Corwin to be a big 'un since he was the largest of his litter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Wonder Bra posted:

Looks like that's actually pretty big. I'm reading stories online of people whose smaller corgis were 6-8 lbs at 4 mos. (Some are female.) We expect Corwin to be a big 'un since he was the largest of his litter.

Really? I thought I remembered my girlfriend telling me something larger was normal. Butters was smaller than his sisters when we picked him up and if not for his brother dying right after being born I would've called Butters the runt of the litter. I'll see him tomorrow though and maybe he's a lot bigger. I also heard he made friends with my girlfriend's friend's pet rabbit, so we'll see how that goes :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I saw a pair of PWC sisters yesterday when I went to pick up the bird from being boarded :3: They looked exactly alike and were not sure whether they wanted to be all "OHMANNEWPEOPLE" or "OHGODTHEVET" so they would runrunrun forward a foot or two, get pets, then go back to barking and looking wary. Cutest dogs ever.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

TheLoveliestRedhead posted:

If I was looking for insurance, I'd start by asking my vet what he takes.

I don't really have any recommendations, but don't most boot-out claims for pre-existing conditions and high-likelihood illnesses that run in certain breeds?

:( I'm sorry Loki isn't doing well.

I just randomly looked in this thread, mainly for cute corgi pictures, but the last time I looked into pet insurance (spring this year), the basic gist of them seems to be that no vets actually "take pet insurance". You just pay out of pocket to the vet and then submit the receipt to the insurance you have and they reimburse you

Pre-existing conditions are never covered, but I think *some* will do coverage of stuff that might run in a specific breed. I'm not sure on that, though. I'm mainly thinking of the one I was looking at that said that they covered chronic conditions instead of just paying for a couple of treatments and then booting you (of course, the fine print says they still do have the option of booting you when your coverage for that year is up, if they want to, but I hadn't heard of them doing that)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Butters just turned six months old and to celebrate, here's a couple crappy cellphone pictures of him with my friend's huge rabbit Ivan (not shown: Butters getting his rear end kicked)-

Click here for the full 1200x800 image.

Click here for the full 1200x800 image.

Butterface :3: Next time I see them I'll try to get Butters to hold still for a portrait shot, he has the best :downs:-face I've ever seen.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 4, 2011

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I would like to pet both Butters and Ivan. At the same time. A big ol' corgi and rabbit snugglefest.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
*Cross-posted from the Plush Monstrosities Thread*

My friend's birthday was over the weekend and I made her a plush version of her dog, Eero. From design to completion was about a week, so I'm happy with it and figured I'd share with this thread too.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And now we all want you to make us plushies of our own dogs.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm also thankful for this thread because it helped me realize that Butters' style of "butt-sitting" is normal for Corgis. Seeing his back legs flat out like that is so goofy :3:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

C-Euro posted:

I'm also thankful for this thread because it helped me realize that Butters' style of "butt-sitting" is normal for Corgis. Seeing his back legs flat out like that is so goofy :3:

I think their torsos are too long for them to sit normally all comfy-like, so they have to slouch and/or flop to one side. Heh.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Another doggie photo dump! He's just entering puberty which means he's started being somewhat contrary and deciding that he might not love EVERYTHING all the time. But he's still a very mild-mannered, chill dog. Unless you sneeze. He hates the sneezes and will try to bark them out of you.

He likes to drag his bedding from his crate into the corner of his room and have an orgy of toys on top of it.

Some glamour shots... his facial markings change day by day, it seems.

He wants a turn with the camera.

Pouting because I wouldn't let him chew my camera strap:

Being even more pouty in my lap...

I lubs him.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Every time I see one of those puppy pictures I make sounds no grown man should ever let anyone hear himself make.

Post more puppies ya'll.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

Wonder Bra posted:

ADORABLE photos.

One day my dogs and I are going to show up at your house and you WILL take pictures of them and there WILL BE mouth games. And boxing.

Poor Pip finally got fed up with dogs trying to make sex with him. The dog wasn't much bigger than him but was particularly aggressive about the whole thing. Snaps came to back him up and they were ready to throw down. The only other times I have seen him that forceful were this one time I was wearing a hat (apparently he does know how to growl) and when he saw a life-sized stuffed toy dog.

These are old and cannot compete (for photo quality - not dog quality[mine are best :toot:])

For big.

P.S. TheLoveliestRedhead, you need to post that photo of them watching it snow because it is super :3:

Veegie
Jan 6, 2011
Postin' my Corgi, Minka.

Veegie fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 18, 2011

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Help me goons.

Josie has some soft tissue damage in her right front leg. We took her to the vet today, and we have pain meds/anti-inflammatory to give her, but the vet has told us no running, no stairs, no strenuous exercise for a month. We're supposed to keep her on a leash, no playing fetch, chasing squirrels, etc...

Now she's normally a mellow dog as long as she gets some periods heavy exercise every day, but without that, I'm afraid she'll be insane. I'm not looking forward to a month of insane corgi. We have treat toys but those won't keep her distracted forever. Any ideas to help keep my dog and myself sane?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That was the same thing we had to do with Taziki when she hurt her back a couple of months back. Pretty much what we did was substitute walks/fetching with chewing. So she was going through a lot of Nylabones and just had to tell her "No" if she started getting antsy.

She'll adapt as long as she has something to occupy her.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

anachrodragon posted:

Help me goons.

Josie has some soft tissue damage in her right front leg. We took her to the vet today, and we have pain meds/anti-inflammatory to give her, but the vet has told us no running, no stairs, no strenuous exercise for a month. We're supposed to keep her on a leash, no playing fetch, chasing squirrels, etc...

Now she's normally a mellow dog as long as she gets some periods heavy exercise every day, but without that, I'm afraid she'll be insane. I'm not looking forward to a month of insane corgi. We have treat toys but those won't keep her distracted forever. Any ideas to help keep my dog and myself sane?

Work both the mouth and the mind. Every meal in the treat toys, Kongs stuffed with peanut butter/banana and frozen solid, and other chews. Sometimes I'll do a food hiding game- no toys, just hiding little caches of food all over the house. Release the dog after it's hidden, and the dog has to find the spots. Make it a little more difficult by hiding things under rugs and in shoes or whatnot.

Another really great idea is to pump NILIF-- make Josie work for everything. You can also be teaching her new tricks, meshing them up with existing commands, and having her run through them for 15-20 minutes to wear her out. If you have commands that need to be polished (ie sit/stay), now is a great time to work on it. And make sure she's getting a longer walk in every night, just keep it at a stroll. You can make sure she doesn't rocket off by doing the walk after another activity so she's a little tired.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Miss Indy posted:

And make sure she's getting a longer walk in every night, just keep it at a stroll. You can make sure she doesn't rocket off by doing the walk after another activity so she's a little tired.

If the bed rest period is like the one Taziki was on, a walk around the block wasn't even allowed.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

lu lu lu posted:

One day my dogs and I are going to show up at your house and you WILL take pictures of them and there WILL BE mouth games. And boxing.

Hokay! We will be ready. :3:

Corwin just keeps getting bigger, and every day I am surprised how SOLID he is. He's just a block of meat. And he's pretty reliable, too! We work on his recall with string cheese, and he runs back even if there are other dogs or distractions... a huge improvement on the first weeks, when we thought we might have abused the word "come" one too many times before knowing any better.

Now, whenever I tell him "cookies!" he'll come running in from the yard and go straight into his crate. Funny thing is, we never asked him to crate for a treat every time. (Aside from teaching him the word so he would go in on command.) He just decided this was the thing to do. What a cutie.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Work both the mouth and the mind. Every meal in the treat toys, Kongs stuffed with peanut butter/banana and frozen solid, and other chews. Sometimes I'll do a food hiding game- no toys, just hiding little caches of food all over the house. Release the dog after it's hidden, and the dog has to find the spots. Make it a little more difficult by hiding things under rugs and in shoes or whatnot.

Another really great idea is to pump NILIF-- make Josie work for everything. You can also be teaching her new tricks, meshing them up with existing commands, and having her run through them for 15-20 minutes to wear her out. If you have commands that need to be polished (ie sit/stay), now is a great time to work on it. And make sure she's getting a longer walk in every night, just keep it at a stroll. You can make sure she doesn't rocket off by doing the walk after another activity so she's a little tired.

It would probably be a great time to practice "stay" specifically. She has this habit of deciding for herself what the length of a stay should be. It's really hard to keep her from bouncing around. Yesterday, we were watching her carefully, and then she bounced excitedly after we'd already given her a treat for a nice calm greeting. Then she was limping afterward and I felt like poo poo.

We'll definitely ramp up the treat toys and we'll get some beef bones to keep her busy. We sometimes do this thing were we feed her kibble by putting an upside down bowl over the kibble. Then she has to push the bowl around to get the food out. She's gotten to be a pro at it though. We'll have to vary up the treat toys and food hiding strategies.

We can do a very limited walk, really just down the block so she'll relieve herself.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

anachrodragon posted:

It would probably be a great time to practice "stay" specifically. She has this habit of deciding for herself what the length of a stay should be. It's really hard to keep her from bouncing around. Yesterday, we were watching her carefully, and then she bounced excitedly after we'd already given her a treat for a nice calm greeting. Then she was limping afterward and I felt like poo poo.

We'll definitely ramp up the treat toys and we'll get some beef bones to keep her busy. We sometimes do this thing were we feed her kibble by putting an upside down bowl over the kibble. Then she has to push the bowl around to get the food out. She's gotten to be a pro at it though. We'll have to vary up the treat toys and food hiding strategies.

We can do a very limited walk, really just down the block so she'll relieve herself.

Teach your dog to limp! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrtww7CPf0c

(Note, might not actually be a good idea -- it depends on what muscles were strained, and how much pressure holding a leg up puts on her body.)

I would use this time to make her a trick-doer-extraordinaire. Start looking into the weird ones if you run out of the normal run of the mill tricks. My dog loves training sessions -- her tail wags like crazy, and then afterwards she often passes out. If you do go this way, I would start work on a pivot and work on hind-end awareness -- it's the key to more advanced tricks.

Other than that, interesting chews, hiding treats. Maybe some nosework if you're so inclined.

Taxidermy
Jan 17, 2011
Hello fellow corgi owners! I need your opinions on my little dude. Ive had a few comments recently that hes looking overweight/tubby but my vet said his weight was fine in his last check up (September), so im worried hes packed on the pounds.

My pictures are terrible so i do apologise as my camera just packed up and Merlin wasnt being co-operate in his tummy shots, but i can try again for a length shot if needs be.

Hes 2 years old and i feed him on James Welbeloved as its the best stuff i can find in the UK, so if someone can suggest something better id be grateful. I tried weighing him and well yeh..

Click here for the full 540x720 image.

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Taxidermy posted:

Hello fellow corgi owners! I need your opinions on my little dude. Ive had a few comments recently that hes looking overweight/tubby but my vet said his weight was fine in his last check up (September), so im worried hes packed on the pounds.

I hate to say it, but he looks pretty pudgy. Especially for a 2 year old. The rolls on his shoulder and lack of a definite waist aren't good signs.

Here's a photo that, in my opinion, is of the ideal (Pembroke) Corgi body.

Note the tuck up and the indentation at the underside of the waist.

Can you feel his ribs by gently running your hand along his side? Ribs should have a thin layer of fat covering them -- operative word, thin. In this day and age it's easy to misjudge what that means. I heard someone explain it by saying that a dog's side should feel like the bones on the back of your hand when you make a loose fist.

In my opinion, vets misjudge dogs' weights all the time since they become so accustomed to overweight dogs, and clients can take it quite personally when told they're overfeeding/underexercising their pets.

Taxidermy
Jan 17, 2011
Eugh, I was fearing that someone would say it.. hes put himself into his crate for bed so wont let me check his ribs, but i can see what you mean with the picture.

I dont understand how hes got pudgy. Merlin is greedy though and ill catch him eating the cats biscuits that ive left them before they goto bed.

Whats the best thing to do? Ive never had an overweight dog and its hard to judge that he is overweight because his uncle and father were even bigger than him and my breeder told me he was fine too.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Taxidermy posted:

Whats the best thing to do? Ive never had an overweight dog and its hard to judge that he is overweight because his uncle and father were even bigger than him and my breeder told me he was fine too.

I should say that I don't own a Corgi myself (I have an Aussie). I feel a bit guilty barging into the Corgi thread and offering up weight advice. I keep my dog on the thin side of normal since she's a sport dog, plus skinny dogs do tend to live longer. If I'm wrong, Corgi-folks, please let me know!

How much do you feed him? I would reduce food by maybe 10-15% and increase exercise by maybe 1/2 hour a day. Just like in people, weight is put on by eating too much and not being active enough. If he still seems hungry (which he shouldn't if you reduce his food by a small amount) you can supplement with lo-cal snacks like green beans. Weight should come off gradually.

You can start weighing him by picking him up and weighing the two of you together, then just yourself to determine the difference. Or you can explain your situation to the vet and you can probably drop by the office for a complimentary weekly weigh-in.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Taxidermy posted:

I dont understand how hes got pudgy. Merlin is greedy though and ill catch him eating the cats biscuits that ive left them before they goto bed.

Corgis are NOTORIOUS for getting to be overweight because they are food-obsessed. A corgi owner was telling me that she had previously owned a dachshund that stopped eating when it was full... and that her corgi, on the other hand, would eat itself to death.

Those corgi eyes make it too easy to fall into their trap when they look at you and say, "But... I'm Staaaarving!"

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Wonder Bra posted:

Corgis are NOTORIOUS for getting to be overweight because they are food-obsessed. A corgi owner was telling me that she had previously owned a dachshund that stopped eating when it was full... and that her corgi, on the other hand, would eat itself to death.

Those corgi eyes make it too easy to fall into their trap when they look at you and say, "But... I'm Staaaarving!"

My mother kind of sighed when I told her we were getting a corgi. "Oh you mean those fat little dogs?" I tried to explain to her that they're only fat when you overfeed them, but she insisted that I was going to have a fat dog. (When I was growing up, our neighbor had a retired show Cardigan who was rather rotund).

So anyway, for the first year or so that we had Josie, every time I talked to my mother about her, she would ask "is she fat yet?" When my mom finally came to visit us last spring she was amazed to meet Josie, and exclaimed "Oh my god! She's not as fat as I thought she would be." :psyduck:

Here's a rather bad picture I just took of her right now. She weighs 25 lbs, which as far as I can tell is normal for a female Cardi. Not that she wouldn't eat herself to death if she had the opportunity...

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

anachrodragon posted:

I cannot get over how much she look like our Macie. Macie is a corgi/spaniel mix. About the only difference is she has big floppy ears instead of ones that point straight up. The coloring is almost identical.

Wonder Bra posted:

One of ours likes to push her bowl around when she thinks she needs more food. It's insanely cute.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
My corgi must be strange. When we had just him, he had very little interest in food and treats - he would only eat once-ish a day, and sort of picked at his food. He doesn't take a treat out of your hand; instead, he smells it and then sort of looks at you like you offended him by not giving him a toy to play with. But now that we have another dog, he eats treats and food like a champ because of the competition, but not because he really wants to eat.

He is a steady 23-25 lbs and is fit and trim:

• Locked thread