Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Penpal posted:

Does anyone have the link for the guy demonstrating pictures from a broken lens? I'm googling all sorts of poo poo and I can't find it!
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches
Google, "smashed front element"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

HPL posted:

Man, if you're fussed about a show starting 20-30 minutes late, you would absolutely hate shooting concerts.

Definitely. One my friends said she had to wait 3 hours for an hour long concert to start, is this sort of thing typical??

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

nonanone posted:

Definitely. One my friends said she had to wait 3 hours for an hour long concert to start, is this sort of thing typical??

Seems like nearly all the concerts I have gone to this happens, at least with the headliner.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

nonanone posted:

3 hours is unusual, but not unheard of. The smaller shows usually have the longer waits because the promoter keeps stalling and stalling the show hoping more people will show up before they actually start. The bigger shows aren't so bad because the touring acts have to hit the road after the show so there's no time to waste. Live Nation is really good about being punctual.

If you're worried about a late start, find out if the promoter is renting the room for a fixed period of time or for the night. If it's for a fixed period of time like say 8PM to 11PM, then you know it's going to start on time because they have to get everyone on the stage before the show is over and the DJ dancey dance crowd moves in. If it's for the night, then be prepared for a much longer wait since they can take their sweet time and can run until 3AM or whenever.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

BobTheCow posted:

How did you like it? Friend of mine is thinking of going for a masters in photography there.

I was only there for the foundation year, no photography classes, and my major in art school was videogame art anyway. Didn't get into photography till long after university was over.

At the time, I liked it a lot, teachers seemed really competent, and I had a full schollarship. Really kicking myself I transferred to SCAD because it was ridiculously expensive without having any qualified teachers in the game-art department. In hindsight I should have stayed at VCU and majored in painting or illustration.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

spf3million posted:

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches
Google, "smashed front element"

This one is also illuminating.

http://www.kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

TheVioletFox
Nov 9, 2010

This is a folk tale, not a God damn Oxy Clean commercial.

Paragon8 posted:

redo the fashion thread btw! I've got a lot more things to post in it. I think it dropped off into the archives :(

I second this.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

I was reading a 645D review today when

Google showing its brand bias? :v:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
This week's 'The big picture' is amazing.

Kawah Ijen by night, a volcano in Indonesia.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

DaNzA posted:

Wow, amazing is right.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

HEY DORKROOM! I HEARD YOU GUYS LIKE MY AERIAL PHOTOS

If so, here's an opportunity to support me via Kickstarter:
http://kck.st/h5Wht4

I'm starting a project to take photos of LA. I have pilots and planes - all I need is your valuable, hard-earned money. I'll give you prints & stuff in return. If you live in LA, I'll take a photo of your house!

(Brad, if this is bad - I can edit it out :( )

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DaNzA posted:

I can't even begin to imagine how bad this smells.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

DaNzA posted:

That's a really incredible series of photos. It says in the last caption that the photographer lost a camera and two lenses to the harsh conditions. Those miners must die an awful lot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nachtwey did a piece on sulfur miners (you can see him shoot parts of it in War Photographer) and it wasn't loving pretty.

guidoanselmi posted:

Can I just buy a print of that picture please?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

guidoanselmi posted:

I'm starting a project to take photos of LA. I have pilots and planes - all I need is your valuable, hard-earned money. I'll give you prints & stuff in return. If you live in LA, I'll take a photo of your house!

Give me a few weeks and I'll be chipping in >$75 (waiting until the finances settle down after Christmas shopping), I'd love to get a good size print and its great to see your initiative too.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

spf3million posted:

You're awesome! Thanks!

evil_bunnY posted:

Can I just buy a print of that picture please?

I can just send you the highres. Do whatever you want with it. email me at drstrangeluv@gmail.com .

Spedman posted:

Give me a few weeks and I'll be chipping in >$75 (waiting until the finances settle down after Christmas shopping), I'd love to get a good size print and its great to see your initiative too.

Thanks!

I had been meaning to do an effort thread on aerial photography at some point soon. Given this, I'll probably make one on the various PP I use to get rid of haze and make images clear.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

guidoanselmi posted:

I can just send you the highres. Do whatever you want with it. email me at drstrangeluv@gmail.com .
Buddy do you not like money? I'll either back your project or arrange something through paypal/whatever tomorrow. Gotta run.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

haha, save the money for kickstarter. I'd suggest other people do it too if they have ideas.

No one actually gives money until the entire goal is met, either.

faq posted:

All-or-nothing funding?

Every Kickstarter project must be fully funded before its time expires or no money changes hands.

Why?

1. It's less risk for everyone. If you need $5,000, it's tough having $2,000 and a bunch of people expecting you to complete a $5,000 project.

2. It allows people to test concepts (or conditionally sell stuff) without risk. If you don't receive the support you want, you're not compelled to follow through. This is huge!

3. It motivates. If people want to see a project come to life, they're going to spread the word.

I'll shut up now. There's a thread in CC I posted in, but there's not much traffic there.

VV don't want to selfishly bump, but i've seen the below & thanks!

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 10, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

guidoanselmi posted:

haha, save the money for kickstarter. I'd suggest other people do it too if they have ideas.

No one actually gives money until the entire goal is met, either.

I'll shut up now. There's a thread in CC I posted in, but there's not much traffic there.

Done.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

guidoanselmi posted:

I couldn't contribute much but I gave a few bucks. Good luck with the project.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Gah, so anxious for this weekend. My first full weekend of paid photography. Dance school portraits and a corporate Christmas party on Saturday, then family portraits on Sunday. After this weekend, I'll definitely know more about what it takes to make money with a camera.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

I've gotten a few PMs about this so I'll add it to the Dorkroom rules. This is a small community and I think it would be great if we could help each other fund work we want to make.

Posting Kickstarter projects is fine as long as the end result of the project is making or publishing photography. Do not make a thread specifically about your Kickstarter project (if you have a thread about your existing/ongoing photo project you can post it there, but your thread better not be a thinly veiled spam attempt).

No other contests, voting things, social media promotions, etc. as usual. Please report that or anyone being spammy about Kickstarter.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It's kind of unrelated but I just really wanted to say that I've finally figured out how to do noise reduction in lightroom and I LOVE it. Finally my camera is useful above ISO 640!

Example: I had to go with ISO 1000 while I was photographing a powerlifting competition, and my 28-128 was too slow at the longer focal lengths so I had to use my 17-50 2.8 and had to stay fairly far away from the lifters, so my crops made the noise much worse. I copied them all onto my computer after the event and found that the noise made most of them pretty much useless. I decided to play around with noise reduction in LR 3, but it seemed to do nothing. Then I exported one of the pictures for fun and it was perfect! Turns out you have to look at the shot in library view and change the noise reduction in develop. Dumb.

Anyway, here's an example:

I'm upset about the shadow. Ceiling was too high to bounce. :(

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
This is exactly how you bust a pooper valve.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

tuyop posted:

It's kind of unrelated but I just really wanted to say that I've finally figured out how to do noise reduction in lightroom and I LOVE it. Finally my camera is useful above ISO 640!

Then I exported one of the pictures for fun and it was perfect! Turns out you have to look at the shot in library view and change the noise reduction in develop. Dumb.

I'm upset about the shadow. Ceiling was too high to bounce. :(

Noise Reduction only shows at 100% in develop. So you have to zoom to 100%, and bam, almost no noise.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
If you have a second screen, noise reduction is applied to that screen, regardless of the zoom level.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ease posted:

If you have a second screen, noise reduction is applied to that screen, regardless of the zoom level.

Yeah I just noticed that as well. Sweet. Just sucks that my second monitor shows completely different colours than my first.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Listening to this on NPR at this very moment: Dude implants a camera in the back of his head, constantly taking pictures.

quote:

Wafaa Bilal's Third Eye
December 10, 2010

New York University professor Wafaa Bilal has surgically implanted a camera into the back of his head as part of a performance art piece. But Bilal’s decision to give up his own privacy is igniting concern for the privacy of those around him. He discusses his controversial project.
Audio at this link

No transcript until Monday, but it's a pretty interesting listen. The idea is to constantly survey the world with as much conscious framing decisions removed as possible.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Protip: after turning down your LCD brightness for a dark environment, remember to return it to its normal values afterward or you'll be wondering why the gently caress the histogram is fine but those black people are REALLY black.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
My first great camera comment, makes me all teary-eyed :3:

Some Coworker posted:

Hi Cross_,That is such a great picture! What camera do you use? It takes amazing shots.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Man, this doesn't look like a scam at all.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/pho/2112229117.html

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Going back to the inherent frustrations in photo contests and their judging, the Sportshooter frontpage today is an account from Eric Seals of the Detroit Free Press, one of this year's CPOY judges, that's mostly fluff but had this bit I found interesting:

Back when I was the student, I was amazed and sometimes angry how quick and easy the judges hit the in and out button on some pictures, almost like they gave it no thought. I mean can you honestly evaluate the power or lack of power in a picture in less than 2 seconds?

The answer is a resounding YES!! If you can’t understand the point of the picture, be moved and curious about it (be it sports action, features, news or illustration) you’ve lost us as judges and to put it in real time you’ve lost the readers and viewers of your newspapers and websites, they’re more finicky than most judges in any contest they’ll move on. Make the picture count, make it matter!!

The power of the picture should speak to us all immediately with good peak action, reaction, emotion, composition. Always grabbing people is important and if it doesn’t do that in contest or in print it’s OUT.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2447

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I was able to get my 5DII for $1,900 this past January so deals do come around every now and then but Christ... that's a $7k camera.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

BobTheCow posted:

Going back to the inherent frustrations in photo contests and their judging, the Sportshooter frontpage today is an account from Eric Seals of the Detroit Free Press, one of this year's CPOY judges, that's mostly fluff but had this bit I found interesting:

Back when I was the student, I was amazed and sometimes angry how quick and easy the judges hit the in and out button on some pictures, almost like they gave it no thought. I mean can you honestly evaluate the power or lack of power in a picture in less than 2 seconds?

The answer is a resounding YES!! If you can’t understand the point of the picture, be moved and curious about it (be it sports action, features, news or illustration) you’ve lost us as judges and to put it in real time you’ve lost the readers and viewers of your newspapers and websites, they’re more finicky than most judges in any contest they’ll move on. Make the picture count, make it matter!!

The power of the picture should speak to us all immediately with good peak action, reaction, emotion, composition. Always grabbing people is important and if it doesn’t do that in contest or in print it’s OUT.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2447

It's interesting to see the video he posted of the judging process. No doubt the overwhelming majority of what they received was absolute crap, but I'm still amazed at the low quality of the top pictures.
I entered the Photographer's Forum college photo contest for this year. When I did, I looked back through the winners and finalists from last year. So many of them were boring crap, even up to the winners. Either the judges and I have hugely varying opinions on what makes a good picture, or there's just no good work being entered and they have to make do.
I'm trying to pre-rationalize not getting picked. :smith:

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Totally legit
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/pho/2112267892.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WOW, two bargains! Maybe I'll find one here in Toronto soon :ohdear:

e: I totally want to troll this scammer.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Do people honestly send money orders for thousands of dollars to strangers they meet on the Internet? I mean, really, this poo poo has to work for it to keep happening, right?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Do people honestly send money orders for thousands of dollars to strangers they meet on the Internet? I mean, really, this poo poo has to work for it to keep happening, right?

It's been my experience that people are way too trusting with strangers over the Internet. (With regards to selling/buying camera stuff at least). Throw in a good/great/impossibly great deal and some people trust strangers entirely way too much.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Good deals do happen, though. You just have to be patient and thorough. I just bought a classic car on CL about a month ago for about half of what it would be worth if I wanted to flip it. On the other side of that coin, I have a friend who was ripped off to the tune of thousands by a BUYER on Ebay who exploited Paypal's buyer protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

McMadCow posted:

On the other side of that coin, I have a friend who was ripped off to the tune of thousands by a BUYER on Ebay who exploited Paypal's buyer protection.

Yeah, you hear horror stories on both sides (a seller can ship you a brick, and as long as they got tracking/confirmation Paypal will side with them), but I think policy is to side with the buyer in most cases. To be 100% you really have to go to ridiculous lengths to cover your rear end, a number of people on photo community sites (especially old farts on Large Format Forum) won't even use Paypal. Some of that has to do with the fees though.

Personally I prefer to buy stuff from people on forums even if there are seldom any crazy cheap deals, and if I buy something on eBay it's only from a seller with a really good feedback rating and decent return policy. Since eBay really clamped down on sellers a few years ago people are much more afraid of getting bad feedback, so you're almost never stuck with a "whoops, too bad!" type of situation anymore*. I only sell on eBay as a last resort because of the relatively high listing fees and possibility of a questionable bidder.

*the only really bad transaction I've had in recent memory was a Macbook I bought on Craigslist. Backlight went bad after a week or so and when I opened it up the innards showed clear signs of having been hosed around with by someone who didn't know what they were doing (lots of screws missing, tape broken, etc).