Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
While watching Episode II last night, I was reminded of something that confused me:

:spergin:
When Padme is on Geonosis and Palpatine is trying to get emergency powers in order to create an army, Jar-Jar (in Padme's place) suggests granting said powers to Palpatine. This makes absolutely no sense.
In the beginning of the movie, Padme talks about how she's been fighting the military creation act since its inception and favors a diplomatic solution with the separatists.
Jar-Jar has been with Padme for a long time, and he should know that she'd oppose anything that would involve creating an army.
Senator Organa is standing in the room when they say "If only Senator Amidala were here," and he probably knows that she'd be against it, too, considering they all sit in the same flying disc and seem to have the same political views.
Am I missing something here?
/:spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pope Mobile posted:

When Padme is on Geonosis and the Senator is trying to get emergency powers in order to create an army, Jar-Jar (in Padme's place) suggests granting said powers to Palpatine. This makes absolutely no sense.

George Lucas was trolling all the fans who loudly ranted about how much they hated Jar-Jar.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair, the concept of the naive and comical sidekick actually causing irredeemable and horrific damage through his best intentions is sort of cool. If only it made sense and we cared about Jar Jar.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
So I'm not crazy, and it's just a lovely plot point?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pope Mobile posted:

I wasn't being flippant in my answer. I genuinely think that was Lucas' intention. The man wears shirts saying "Han shot first", he knows his fandom and probably hates them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pope Mobile posted:

Aren't the prequels a series of those one after the other?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mister Roboto posted:

What would've been a better way to name the clone? Calling him Luke's Clone every sentence would've been wordy.

Not-Luke

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Pope Mobile posted:

While watching Episode II last night, I was reminded of something that confused me:

When Padme is on Geonosis and Palpatine is trying to get emergency powers in order to create an army, Jar-Jar (in Padme's place) suggests granting said powers to Palpatine. This makes absolutely no sense.
In the beginning of the movie, Padme talks about how she's been fighting the military creation act since its inception and favors a diplomatic solution with the separatists.
Jar-Jar has been with Padme for a long time, and he should know that she'd oppose anything that would involve creating an army.
Senator Organa is standing in the room when they say "If only Senator Amidala were here," and he probably knows that she'd be against it, too, considering they all sit in the same flying disc and seem to have the same political views.

I looked at this as a plot point to throw Jar Jar under the bus. So when people would argue how cute he was, you could retort with the fact that he pretty much handed the galaxy over to the Emperor at that point.

I think I've seen it discussed elsewhere too that Palpatine maneuvered things so that Jar Jar would be in a place to make the decision but since he's so feeble he's be easy to manipulate.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mister Roboto posted:

What would've been a better way to name the clone? Calling him Luke's Clone every sentence would've been wordy.

Jim

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

RagnarokAngel posted:

Aren't the prequels a series of those one after the other?

:smithicide:

Bonzo posted:

I looked at this as a plot point to throw Jar Jar under the bus. So when people would argue how cute he was, you could retort with the fact that he pretty much handed the galaxy over to the Emperor at that point.

I think I've seen it discussed elsewhere too that Palpatine maneuvered things so that Jar Jar would be in a place to make the decision but since he's so feeble he's be easy to manipulate.

I can buy Palpatine arranging it so Padme wouldn't be there. But no matter how easy it is to manipulate Jar-Jar, he's been chilling with Padme for ten years at this point and would know how she'd vote. The only thing I could buy, story wise (because it probably is a Lucas troll) is Palpatine mind tricking him considering how stupid he is.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jim

Ekul

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Mister Roboto posted:

Twoke (pronounced like "tuque")

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Pope Mobile posted:

I always assumed that Palpatine did some sort of Sith Mind Trick to convince Jar Jar to do what he wanted. Jar Jar is pretty much the poster boy for "weak-minded".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Locutus Of Bored posted:

I always assumed that Palpatine did some sort of Sith Mind Trick to convince Jar Jar to do what he wanted. Jar Jar is pretty much the poster boy for "weak-minded".

The fact that you need to make that huge stretch shows just how loving stupid it was.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The fact that you need to make that huge stretch shows just how loving stupid it was.

I like to assume it was more of a, "Yay! People are paying attention to me!" :zoid:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Would've made more sense just to not have written Padme as so dovish. If she deliberately helped put Palpatine into power and build what she thought would be a defensive army, that would go a long way to fleshing out the "kind, but sad" impression that Leia had of her years later.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Time to go watch Epsiode I again to find more stuff to complain about. Why do I hate myself so?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Why bother watching them again? Just say "everything. Literally everything." and go do something more productive.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I didn't think it was too bad. Padme was against the military creation act but that was before the Separatists started getting ornery by doing things like kidnapping Jedis and trying to assassinate Republic Senators. Jar-Jar could have just thought that the game changed from just keeping the Republic together to pure survival and that Padme's stance would have changed.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

mojo1701a posted:

I like to assume it was more of a, "Yay! People are paying attention to me!" :zoid:

Pretty much this. The answer to this question is that Jar Jar is an idiot and does stupid things. Nothing involving Jar Jar should ever require more thought than that.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

WhyteRyce posted:

I didn't think it was too bad. Padme was against the military creation act but that was before the Separatists started getting ornery by doing things like kidnapping Jedis and trying to assassinate Republic Senators. Jar-Jar could have just thought that the game changed from just keeping the Republic together to pure survival and that Padme's stance would have changed.

When they were on Geonosis and they knew Obiwan was captured, she still wanted a diplomatic solution.

I just have the movies on as background noise while I play games. So It's not like I'm paying too much attention.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q02weIJD3I

So is this real or what..?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Nckdictator posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q02weIJD3I

So is this real or what..?

It must be fake, Japan never uses American pop culture icons in their commercials.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Nah, it's fake, Japan never uses American pop culture icons in their commercials.

Especially Star Wars. Japan hates that.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I dont know, just suprised me the Lucasfilm would have authorized that.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nckdictator posted:

They also authorized the Turkish edition of Star Wars too.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Nckdictator posted:

Every time this thought crosses your mind, remember the holiday special.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pope Mobile posted:

When they were on Geonosis and they knew Obiwan was captured, she still wanted a diplomatic solution.

I just have the movies on as background noise while I play games. So It's not like I'm paying too much attention.

She wanted a diplomatic solution, but did Jar-Jar know that or did he think "holy poo poo the Republic is going to be destroyed Padme wouldn't want that!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lucasfilm in general is pretty casual about using Star Wars compared to a lot of movie studios and their properties. That's why you can find a billion lightsaber battles on youtube.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They also authorized the Turkish edition of Star Wars too.

But anyone would have done this. Wouldn't you?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

WhyteRyce posted:

She wanted a diplomatic solution, but did Jar-Jar know that or did he think "holy poo poo the Republic is going to be destroyed Padme wouldn't want that!"

I think his big ugly face was as dumb as a butt :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Lucas could have had at least put a scene in ROTS when Jar Jar Has Seen To Much with Anakin and Palpatine and is brutally cut down.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mister Roboto posted:

Lucas :D

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lucas could have had at least put a scene in ROTS when Jar Jar Has Seen To Much with Anakin and Palpatine and is brutally cut down.

Instead, Lucas demonstrated his love for the fans and put Jar-Jar in with the final spoken line of the entire Star Wars trilogy in the re-released ROTJ.

Do people really need more evidence he's trolling everyone?

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I've been a Star Wars fan for ages, but never thought to ask:

1) Is there any scene in any media where Leia gives a poo poo about the fact her whole planet blows up? I don't mean using it politically, I mean actually being sad that her entire world no longer exists.

2) What happened to the Tantive IV after it got boarded by Vader at the start of ANH?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

EddieDean posted:

I've been a Star Wars fan for ages, but never thought to ask:

1) Is there any scene in any media where Leia gives a poo poo about the fact her whole planet blows up? I don't mean using it politically, I mean actually being sad that her entire world no longer exists.

Nope. I mean, there's some effort in some books to create New Alderaan, and Leia is occasionally mentioned as helping. But other than that minor plot line, no, nothing. (At least that I've read or seen.)

EddieDean posted:

2) What happened to the Tantive IV after it got boarded by Vader at the start of ANH?

Vader destroyed it and the entire crew was killed. Later, propaganda was released saying an asteroid storm was the cause of it's destruction.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm pretty sure Vader tortured the poo poo out of her in Cloud City in ESB with images of Aldeeran being blown up, she personally cared about it.

Kind of funny how she was still called Princess afterwards.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

thrawn527 posted:

Nope. I mean, there's some effort in some books to create New Alderaan, and Leia is occasionally mentioned as helping. But other than that minor plot line, no, nothing. (At least that I've read or seen.)

Many of the Bantaam books have political opponents giving her grief about how she frequently brings up the destruction of Alderaan for sympathy and I vaguely recall her expressing that sentiment more than once in books, though the specific scenes aren't coming to mind. So it's definitely addressed in the EU.

warlord
Nov 19, 2004
rawr

Azzmo posted:

Many of the Bantaam books have political opponents giving her grief about how she frequently brings up the destruction of Alderaan for sympathy and I vaguely recall her expressing that sentiment more than once in books, though the specific scenes aren't coming to mind. So it's definitely addressed in the EU.

So she was the Rudy Giuliani of Star Wars?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I just bought my first Star Wars book in a few years, this thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Cross-Sections-Spacecraft/dp/0756627044/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It's suprisingly nice, i'm a apregy dork sometimes so i'm loving the art and tech crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

warlord posted:

So she was the Rudy Giuliani of Star Wars?

More like the Israel of Star Wars :can: