Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Turns out I'm going to be writing the portion of an MSJ response dealing with preemption. That's technically constitutional law... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TheBestDeception posted:

Turns out I'm going to be writing the portion of an MSJ response dealing with preemption. That's technically constitutional law... right?

I've described it on my resume as such so I certainly hope so!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Four Finger Wu posted:

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself - I am an attorney in Los Angeles and I do high end estate planning. I haven't seen much talk about trusts and estates, but if anyone is interested in the practice, I am happy to answer questions or talk about it.

Hey there! I'm finishing up my tax ll.m. at GULC, and I did their certificate in estate planning last year, which was pretty fun.

We need more T&E people in here.

I'm curious to see if Congress gets around to forcing 10 year terms on GRATs.

Do you do any fiduciary litigation? I've spoken with a lot of T&E people around here who see that area as a growth area for T&E people.

jtsold
Jul 6, 2004
dlostj

Four Finger Wu posted:

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself - I am an attorney in Los Angeles and I do high end estate planning. I haven't seen much talk about trusts and estates, but if anyone is interested in the practice, I am happy to answer questions or talk about it.
Hey cool, that's the kind of law my mom primarily practices, though she's in a small firm. A lot of her clients are rich investors who bought mineral (oil) rights decades back, or farmers who got rich in the oil boom. She's been in the business for almost a couple decades, so she's been able to prune her clientele to largely include only the ones she likes and some wealthy ones (who are not always one and the same).

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
marry me, red bean juice; i have a lot to offer

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
Have any of you ever set up a trust for a dog?

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Napoleon I posted:

The exams in my trusts class were closed book and really neurotic on details, so I basically just memorized all the small details I could and hoped for the best

consequence of which is when I'm 80 and my brain's going and I don't remember my family and friend's names or the happy moments of my life I'll probably still know poo poo like that you can set up a non-charitable purpose trust for the care and upkeep of specific animals

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Napoleon I posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leona_Helmsley#Death

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

hypocrite lecteur posted:

The exams in my trusts class were closed book and really neurotic on details, so I basically just memorized all the small details I could and hoped for the best

consequence of which is when I'm 80 and my brain's going and I don't remember my family and friend's names or the happy moments of my life I'll probably still know poo poo like that you can set up a non-charitable purpose trust for the care and upkeep of specific animals

I wanna know if you can do something where its for the care and upkeep of all animals the settlor has at death rather than specific ones. I guess it doesn't really matter unless you have dick heirs that would challenge it.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Napoleon I posted:

I have a client coming in today whose plan includes a set-aside for his dog.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Stumbled upon this thread and wanted to introduce myself -- Clerking for my second judge in two years. First judge was federal district court judge, second judge is a federal magistrate judge in the same courthouse. Located in the upper midwest / rustbelt. Just lined up a more permanent gig at an area law firm (I want to stay in the same geographical area, I was born/raised here and went to law school here). It took me a full year of clerking for one judge and four months of clerking for my second judge before getting my first firm job offer. Insane. Classmates from my TTT law school who didn't fare as well academically (but still did pretty well) are still hunting for jobs. Lesson: don't go to law school unless it's T14 if you want to reasonably be able to find a job when you get out. (I recognize I'm merely adding to the choir here).

Willing to answer questions about clerking if people are interested.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

schwein11 posted:

Stumbled upon this thread and wanted to introduce myself -- Clerking for my second judge in two years. First judge was federal district court judge, second judge is a federal magistrate judge in the same courthouse. Located in the upper midwest / rustbelt. Just lined up a more permanent gig at an area law firm (I want to stay in the same geographical area, I was born/raised here and went to law school here). It took me a full year of clerking for one judge and four months of clerking for my second judge before getting my first firm job offer. Insane. Classmates from my TTT law school who didn't fare as well academically (but still did pretty well) are still hunting for jobs. Lesson: don't go to law school unless it's T14 if you want to reasonably be able to find a job when you get out. (I recognize I'm merely adding to the choir here).

That's a strange step down. I asssume clerking for the magistrate after the district was driven by the economy?

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

stingray1381 posted:

That's a strange step down. I asssume clerking for the magistrate after the district was driven by the economy?

Pretty much. Although to be clear, I love my current job, and I'm very happy I was able to extend my stay in the courthouse for another year. As I said in my post, I wasn't able to line up a permanent post-clerkship gig until very recently (this week). I had a number of interviews over the course of last year, but no bites. Toward the end of the year, one firm told me they couldn't take me this fall, but if I found something to do for a year, they expected to able to take me then. Through connections with my then-boss and that firm, I landed the current gig with the magistrate. (and the job offer I recently accepted is from that firm, so it has, so far, worked out according to plan).

I know it's odd to go from district to magistrate, but my current co-clerk did the same thing (although she is in a unique situation where she honestly can't know where she will be permanently until something is sorted out with her husband's work situation early next year). We both love it. Frankly, outside of the prestige or connections or whatever, I have never seen the appeal in moving "up" to the appeals court. My judge last year sat by designation on the circuit, and the actual work we did for that, and the way the workflow is there, is not nearly as interesting/fun to me as what we were doing at the district court level.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

entris posted:

I have a client coming in today whose plan includes a set-aside for his dog.

Who is watching the trustee in these situations to make sure the money is spent on the animal and not a 6000+ sqft "dog house" for the dog + trustee and family?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

poofactory posted:

Who is watching the trustee in these situations to make sure the money is spent on the animal and not a 6000+ sqft "dog house" for the dog + trustee and family?

Totally legit question and concern, but in this client's case we're talking about a small sum of cash, and the proposed caretakers are parents, siblings, or very good friend. I explained the risk to the client and explained that we could do a full-fledged pet trust, but he isn't worried about the risk and doesn't want to pay for the extra expense of a pet trust.

Four Finger Wu
Jan 11, 2008

Napoleon I posted:

Yes I did a dog trust - it was pretty simple. It was a provision in the client's living trust. She left her dog to her two friends and put aside $150,000 to a separate trust, subject to CA probate code 15212 (the pet trust section), to pay $5,000 per year for the dog's benefit plus as much money as necessary for medical expenses. At the dog's death, it goes to the residual beneficiaries of the client's estate.

I think sometimes they are more complicated, especially when a lot of money is involved and people are worried that the dog's caretakers will make off with the money.

poofactory posted:

Practically speaking, it is the residual beneficiaries who end up monitoring this, because they are the ones who stand to lose if the trustee or dog-watcher blows all the money. If you make a charity the residual beneficiary they will watch it like a hawk. Also, you could make the dog-watcher and the trustee different people so that the trustee can control distributions of money as needed to the dog-watcher.

Four Finger Wu fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 9, 2010

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Four Finger Wu - great name, great book.

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

schwein11 posted:

the actual work we did for that, and the way the workflow is there, is not nearly as interesting/fun to me as what we were doing at the district court level.

If you have a moment would you mind elaborating? I'm really curious what the differences were and why you found them to be significant.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

jake1357 posted:

If you have a moment would you mind elaborating? I'm really curious what the differences were and why you found them to be significant.

The best way to describe a "day in the life" of a district court clerk, at least in my experience, is the following: on your way into work you think to yourself "ok, today I will do x project." That project is usually working on a draft of some opinion, more often than not a summary judgment opinion. Then you walk into work, and lo and behold, something pops up which devours your day which you never expected, be it a sentencing issue, a TRO, or just some research project that the judge pops into your office to tell you to work on. From my limited experience sitting by designation, but moreso from talking to appellate clerk friends, there is far more of a set, predictable routine to appellate clerking. You're assigned to a sitting that is x time away, the bench memos are divvied up between you and your co-clerks for that sitting, and you plod away on the bench memo, getting it done in time for the sitting / to share it with the panel if your judge shares memos. After the sitting, you ideally just turn your bench memo into the opinion (if your judge is assigned to write the majority). So that's one difference where I prefer the way the district court works.

The other major difference that is a big deal for me is interaction with lawyers, and other judges and their clerks. As an appellate clerk, you see the lawyers' written product, and perhaps their oral argument. Period, end of story. As a district clerk, in addition to the formal briefs and in-court hearings/trials, I have sat in on countless conferences in chambers, shot the poo poo with AUSAs and other attorneys during downtime, called and answered calls from lawyers, etc etc. This is important to me because I clerked in the same geographical area in which I hope/plan to practice. Learning about the local bar and its characters is not only interesting to me, but I think will be useful once I begin private practice. Further, federal appeals court judges have their main bases of operation scattered throughout the circuit, and whenever your judge sits for oral argument, only a handful of the circuit's judges will happen to be there for the same sitting period. This, I think, tends to discourage interaction between chambers. Some of my best friends are people who clerked for a different judge than I, but in the same courthouse. You don't necessarily get that when your judge works in a nondescript office building.

The last point I would make, is that the pace is different. Sentencing this afternoon? Ok, I will research x issue this morning and get it to the judge in time. TRO was filed this morning? Ok, I will research it to get a lay of the land in time for the (phone) conference later in the day. And so on.

I will also say, I worked for an amazing district court judge, (and currently work for an amazing magistrate) and your mileage may vary -- every judge utilizes his or her clerks in their own unique way, and some of them do it in very different ways than what I experienced. I also am more interested in trial work, just as a general matter, so that probably contributes to my bias.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Four Finger Wu posted:

DogTrust

What happens when the beneficiary and trustee agree to "lose" the dog and split the money

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Residual residual beneficiary

Four Finger Wu
Jan 11, 2008

hypocrite lecteur posted:

What happens when the beneficiary and trustee agree to "lose" the dog and split the money

And assuming there is no other person watching the dog? If no one else knows about it, I guess they can keep the money. Of course, anyone who finds out can tell the attorney general who might enforce it and go after the trustee? I guess that is one reason to appoint an institutional trustee, they typically will not go in for such back door schemes.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

schwein11 posted:

When you said you went to a TTT, is that a potshot at like, a good school, or did you really go to a TTT? Getting a federal clerkship is Goal #1 for me come August and any advice you can give on applications aside from the usual (get good grades, get profs on board, etc) would be great.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I didn't mean to derail the thread with a substantive question. Onto topics we care about, Berkeley has a place called Berkeley Bowl and I got a burrito yesterday that weight in at 2.1 pounds for 6 bucks. I break the diet during finals because next to boobs, food is my best self-medication.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

When you said you went to a TTT, is that a potshot at like, a good school, or did you really go to a TTT? Getting a federal clerkship is Goal #1 for me come August and any advice you can give on applications aside from the usual (get good grades, get profs on board, etc) would be great.

I went to what is now a third tier law school according to the USNW rankings. It was second tier my first year, but then dropped. I would quibble with the third "T" with respect to my school -- I feel I received a very good legal education there, and I am supportive of my law school, but the sad fact is that our graduates are having a hell of a time finding jobs nowadays.

As for applying, a lot of it you can't really control at this point (sounds like you're a 2L) -- e.g. your gpa isn't going to move much by application time -- but I would be sure to get professors on board before the summer. At least in my experience, Professors are not the easiest people to get a hold of during the summer months. I would also say that the whole hiring plan thing is breaking down, and more and more judges are dissatisfied with it.

Every judge has his or her own criteria, but one which is often overlooked (especially for those areas not biglaw hubs), is some sort of connection to the area. Some judges don't care about this, but without knowing which judges do care about it, it can only help you to highlight any connection you have with the locale in your cover letter.

Don't ramble in your cover letter -- keep it short and don't regurgitate your resume in it. The two most important things in the application packet are your cover letter and resume (at least in my experience), be sure those are as close to perfect as you can make them.

Keep in mind it's a humongous crap-shoot right now. More qualified people apply than there are positions.

Do you have a more specific question?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

sigmachiev posted:

I didn't mean to derail the thread with a substantive question. Onto topics we care about, Berkeley has a place called Berkeley Bowl and I got a burrito yesterday that weight in at 2.1 pounds for 6 bucks. I break the diet during finals because next to boobs, food is my best self-medication.
You could technically combine boobs and food but...yick

I have nothing substantive to add

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

schwein11 posted:

I went to what is now a third tier law school according to the USNW rankings. It was second tier my first year, but then dropped. I would quibble with the third "T" with respect to my school -- I feel I received a very good legal education there, and I am supportive of my law school, but the sad fact is that our graduates are having a hell of a time finding jobs nowadays.

Was your law school, a private school in the Midwest and was your clerkship in the 7th circuit?

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

stingray1381 posted:

Was your law school, a private school in the Midwest and was your clerkship in the 7th circuit?

No on both counts - public school in the midwest, not 7th.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Outlining for another set of finals. The fun seems to be gone as a 3L

Criminal Procedure: Brennan and Marshall dissent against a horrific majority opinion

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
My tax summary is up to 45 pages and I don't think it adds much substance beyond this 2-pager I got from an A+ student at a different school. Still gonna work on mine just in case :smith:

Btw dudes I finished all my papers. 35,000 words (not including footnotes) in around two weeks. If I get any lower/higher than a B I'm going to be pissed off/amazed, respectively.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Defenestration posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHchl4AxsE0

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Defenestration posted:

Are you suggesting he put cheese on his burrito?!

Cheese on burritos is great.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Defenestration posted:

www.cakefarts.com of course

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Not going to click this because I'm in the library, but I'm going to wager that it's a relevant Seinfeld link

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

The Arsteia posted:

Not going to click this because I'm in the library, but I'm going to wager that it's a relevant Seinfeld link

He flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Arsteia posted:

It is pretty relevant though

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Defenestration posted:

Whipped cream

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

schwein11 posted:

<clerkship stuff

I clerk at the circuit court level in Michigan (general trial jurisdiction) and much of what you said applies.

The bulk of my week is spent (theoretically) working towards our Friday afternoon SD motions, but in reality that's just what I do when I'm not dealing with whatever came up RIGHT NOW. (Dear attorneys who decide to submit a reply to a response to a motion for summary disposition at 3:30 on Wednesday afternoon: I hate you.)

The other big event in my week are the pro per paperwork reviews in anticipation of our Friday morning pro confesso hearings. Sometimes those can be fun, but I much prefer the whims of the research schedule. I always prefer the criminal issues, but you never know what's going to cross your desk on a given day and sometimes it can be surprisingly novel or entertaining.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Evidence final down. Con Law in the morning. I've never wanted to drink 10000 beers more in my entire life than right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Just finished my Admin Law case map, complete with title "THE BIG PIMPIN ADMIN LAW CHART" and sketch of Scalia going "legit (unlike Brand X)" in the corner