Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!

thenoodleincident posted:

Today they are called townhouses.

I don't know what it's like where you live, but here the smallest townhouses that are being built are 1,500 square foot, 3-bedroom units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

How do you guys feel about buying into a developing neighborhood vice an established one?

I'm looking to buy in the Washington DC area and being drawn to the Mt Vernon Square area for those familiar with DC.

It's not a bad place at all. Maybe 3-4 blocks north of Gallery Place which is a happening place in the city. There has been a ton of new development in the area with a lot of destination dining/shopping either just come online or in development. My concern is with a lot of new construction going on. Several large apartment highrises being built plus a condo or two. Not surprising - rents for a one-bedroom average around $2200 a month and it is not uncommon for 1 bedrooms to go for $2500 or studios for $1800-2000.

So people are wanting to pay to live in this up and coming neighborhood and developers are taking advantage of this and bringing inventory online.

My concern is that I'm not sure what will happen once this is complete. I'd like to get a condo to live in for a few years and possibly rent out when I need to move on. Under current market conditions this is a winning proposition since I could easily rent and have positive cash flow. But after all the new development the added inventory might change things.

Basically not sure how sticky rent prices are, and if all the new rental units coming online will depress rents, or since they are bringing in high-income folks and therefore destination dining/shopping, actually increase rents.

The safe bet would be to buy into an established neighborhood like Dupont where the housing stock is relatively set.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Johnny Longtorso posted:

I don't know what it's like where you live, but here the smallest townhouses that are being built are 1,500 square foot, 3-bedroom units.

Same here. I just wish they'd start building more apartments, I'm so sick of apartment hunting... My friend bought a house for over $100,000 less than what it was worth in 2007, and yet I haven't found a single apartment to rent that doesn't cost just as much if not more than it did in 2007.

I know this isn't the Home Renting thread, but renting really sucks in this economy. When my friends are paying mortgages on 3 bedroom houses at a fairly equivalent amount to what it would cost for me to rent a 1 bedroom apartment, something is wrong.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Something is wrong. It's people's credit. People who were foreclosed on still have to live somewhere, so they're renting. People who can't buy because of bad credit also have to live somewhere, so they're also renting. Nevermind that these people have enough income to support a mortgage... they're stuck with renting for a while.

The huge number of foreclosures and vacancies in the home ownership market is pressuring the rental market.

The other problem is that developers, leery of still-falling housing prices, have not been building new homes for about two or three years now, in most markets. Yet, the population of the country continues to grow. So this is putting upward pressure on rents even while home prices continue to be unstable.

I think if I were a betting man, I'd bet that 7 or 10 years from now, (adjusting for inflation) home prices will be a bit higher than they are now (not much, just a little - maybe five percent or so), but vacancies and foreclosures will be way down; and rents will have fallen substantially, as people who can afford to buy recover their credit, and banks loosen their credit in response to improved employment situation and reduced scrutiny by shareholders.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

To add to your post don't forget the rock bottom interest rates right now. Money is super cheap right now. My mortgage on a 4bdr/2bath 1800 sq ft house is 200 a month cheaper than a 3/2 apartment at my old complex. If rates were 7% though it would probably be even.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Update. Wife and I found a house two weeks ago we liked. 4/2 1800 sq ft w/3car g (no pool) in Gilbert, AZ (I work in Tempe, so we'll be 15 miles from my office). House last sold for $135k in 1997. Zillow (lol) peak estimated value was $360k, now $172k. House originally listed at $200k in early Sep. Couple of price drops brought it down to $170k. We offered $161.5k and it was accepted. That was 1.5 weeks ago.

Since then, we've had the house inspection done (no significant issues) and a separate roof inspection. Roof inspection uncovered some things, including hail damage. I'd be a bit skeptical of hail damage in the Phoenix area but we recently had some significant hail storms move through the metro area (Oct. 5). I downloaded the radar data and confirmed (to myself) that a significant storm likely containing hail moved over the house that day. Roof inspection recommended having the roof replaced. Sent the inspection info to the sellers, hopefully they can just put in a claim with their HOI, pay the deductible, and get a new roof on there. That'd work out pretty good for me.

Otherwise everything is on track. Appraisal should come in Tuesday or Wednesday. Loan is already rolling, locked at 4.625% 30-yr loan this last week w/no points. Principle, interest, taxes, HOI, and HOA will come in around $850/mo. If we were to rent a similar house and included some renters insurance our monthly rent would be about $1400+. Very significant savings going on here.

Scheduled to close on Dec 16 and I think that should hold. God I hope so because I gave notice to our apartment and we got to be out on the 20th. Ordered some appliances already too (thanks black friday!) and they'll get delivered on the 18th.

All in all, things are looking good.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SirPablo posted:

Update. Wife and I found a house two weeks ago we liked. 4/2 1800 sq ft w/3car g (no pool) in Gilbert, AZ (I work in Tempe, so we'll be 15 miles from my office). House last sold for $135k in 1997. Zillow (lol) peak estimated value was $360k, now $172k. House originally listed at $200k in early Sep. Couple of price drops brought it down to $170k. We offered $161.5k and it was accepted. That was 1.5 weeks ago.

Since then, we've had the house inspection done (no significant issues) and a separate roof inspection. Roof inspection uncovered some things, including hail damage. I'd be a bit skeptical of hail damage in the Phoenix area but we recently had some significant hail storms move through the metro area (Oct. 5). I downloaded the radar data and confirmed (to myself) that a significant storm likely containing hail moved over the house that day. Roof inspection recommended having the roof replaced. Sent the inspection info to the sellers, hopefully they can just put in a claim with their HOI, pay the deductible, and get a new roof on there. That'd work out pretty good for me.

Otherwise everything is on track. Appraisal should come in Tuesday or Wednesday. Loan is already rolling, locked at 4.625% 30-yr loan this last week w/no points. Principle, interest, taxes, HOI, and HOA will come in around $850/mo. If we were to rent a similar house and included some renters insurance our monthly rent would be about $1400+. Very significant savings going on here.

Scheduled to close on Dec 16 and I think that should hold. God I hope so because I gave notice to our apartment and we got to be out on the 20th. Ordered some appliances already too (thanks black friday!) and they'll get delivered on the 18th.

All in all, things are looking good.

Umm... Is the roof a deal breaker for you? Because if the owners are already taking a hit on the property the odds of them just 'putting in a claim on their HOI and paying the deductible' is pretty slim. Even then you're counting on an insurance company to actually approve the work, and get the work done before you close in 3 weeks?

I think you've put the cart before the horse here. You don't even have the appraisal back yet and you've given notice to your apt complex.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Umm... Is the roof a deal breaker for you? Because if the owners are already taking a hit on the property the odds of them just 'putting in a claim on their HOI and paying the deductible' is pretty slim. Even then you're counting on an insurance company to actually approve the work, and get the work done before you close in 3 weeks?

I think you've put the cart before the horse here. You don't even have the appraisal back yet and you've given notice to your apt complex.

If they knew about the roof they should have disclosed it in the disclosure documents, instead of checking "no" where it asked if they are/were aware of roof issues or if any roof work had been done. They are going to get a second opinion, which I am fine with. I'm sure we can work something out, I'm not concerned at this point.

Realjones
May 16, 2004
ignore original post looks like I did get some responses from lenders.

Am I insane to be considering a FHA 5/1 ARM? It's a 1/1/5 ARM and compared to a 4.5% fixed (5% down with single premium PMI paid at closing). It looks like you have to go out to year 10 before the ARM starts losing to the fixed.

Realjones fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 30, 2010

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Whether an ARM is right for you depends on why you're buying and what your life plans are. And of course (as with all real estate decisions) what your local market is like.

E.g., are you planning to sell? When? Why? Are you "investing" to make money or buying to build a nest egg? What is your career and life situation? Might you find yourself in a different situation in five or ten years?

All of these questions of course need to be addressed before you even decide it's time to buy a house, so you presumably already have considered them.

Basically an ARM carries additional risks but can be financially rewarding if your property does not depreciate, and you are certain to sell in a handful of years.

People are going to be very reluctant to actually recommend ARMs these days though, because they're hand-in-hand with subprimes in being responsible for the real estate crash.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Does anyone here have any familiarity with the Good Neighbor Next Door program?

http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/reo/goodn/gnndabot.cfm

Looking for some general information and any insight you might have.

Also, can anyone tell me how to find where these HUD "Revitalization" areas listed in the program are located? Or do all homes listed on the website for sale qualify.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Realjones posted:

Am I insane to be considering a FHA 5/1 ARM? It's a 1/1/5 ARM and compared to a 4.5% fixed (5% down with single premium PMI paid at closing). It looks like you have to go out to year 10 before the ARM starts losing to the fixed.
Can you afford to prepay the mortgage? By the time my 7/1 ARM adjusted I had prepaid enough of the mortgage that my minimum monthly payment would be lower regardless of which way the interest rate went. When I found out interest rates were going down it was more of a pleasant bonus than something I needed to happen.

The fact that yours is FHA probably means that this isn't the right product for you. Stick with a 30 year fixed interest rate mortgage.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

nelson posted:

Stick with a 30 year fixed interest rate mortgage.
School me: Why 30 years? I've done the math, and it doesn't make sense. Unless you have to have the more expensive house, I suppose? Which then it does make sense and void my question, I suppose. I'll stick with Dave Ramsey's suggestion: 15yr fixed rate.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

SiGmA_X posted:

School me: Why 30 years? I've done the math, and it doesn't make sense. Unless you have to have the more expensive house, I suppose? Which then it does make sense and void my question, I suppose. I'll stick with Dave Ramsey's suggestion: 15yr fixed rate.

I'm going with the 30 over the 15 simply because I can do much more productive things with 500 dollars a month than paying down a 4% loan. The margin isn't huge but it's there.

If I can actually get this short sale approved on both ends. Some company owns half the units in the complex so conventional loans are a complete impossibility. Kill me, kill me now :v:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm going 30 because it gives us more flexibility. We want to pay more most months? Fine, no pre-payment penalty. What if we take a big hit on something? Illness or whatnot? We can just make our regular payment. I don't see much of a downside.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

SirPablo posted:

I'm going 30 because it gives us more flexibility. We want to pay more most months? Fine, no pre-payment penalty. What if we take a big hit on something? Illness or whatnot? We can just make our regular payment. I don't see much of a downside.

I did the same for this reason, and was prepaying for a while, and then I finally enrolled in my job's pension and 401k and there goes that money.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So wife and I went under contract last week and submitted our pay stubs and asset verification to our guy at PNC to kick off the mortgage application.

Both we and the seller have set our closing date as 12/31. We've been told everything by all manner of unqualified (e.g. people who don't work in the mortgage industry) individuals that we'll be good with mortgage guarantee way in advance of that or that we'll be waiting on the bank for seven months to eternity as they track down every single boss I've ever had to ensure I've got the funds.

Realistically, if we had all our papers in order and emailed to the bank guy on 12/3, can we expect to close 12/31? We've got 650 lowest credit score, and we've got 20% deposit good to go for a conventional 30-year loan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is it a short sale?

If it's not a short sale, you have a reasonably good chance of closing by the 31st.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have experience with Fannie Mae liens?

After weighing my options a couple of months ago, I decided to start looking for a house instead of renting. Finally found one that is about as near perfect as I'm gonna get. It was listed at $80k, in the process of getting a new roof, all new appliances, new carpet, etc. Another attractive thing is that if I close by December 31, all the closing costs are paid. Soon as I left I put in an offer and was countered the next day. The seller wanted a bit more deposit and an earlier close date. I accepted the counter-offer and things started up.

Escrow was going well with no problems until about two weeks ago. In fact, it looked like I was going to close about three weeks early. At that point my agent informed me that a lien was on the condo for the new roof, that it had been assessed in June of this year, and that it was $7500. But I was told by both my agent and my lender that I shouldn't have to pay it and that it is the responsibility of the seller to clear it. I believed them, but was still not sure that it would be cleared. I called my agent every day to ask about the lien. He told me that he, his assistant, my lender, and my loan processor were emailing the asset manager regarding the lien status daily and getting nothing back.

So yesterday I meet with my lender to go over some more paperwork. I again mention the lien and if he has ever heard of fannie mae paying off a lien. He told me that he hadn't, and that he was not sure if they were going to take care of this one. I also had to sign some more paperwork at my agents office and he said that in talking to other agents that none of them can recall Fannie Mae wiping the lien either.

I asked if I could go back to the seller and tell them that I would pay the lien if they reduced the price by the amount of the lien. Turns out there is a backup offer on the table right now from a church and are willing to pay the entire price in cash.

So right now here are my options;

1 - I walk away from it due to the lien. I'd lose the money I've already spent on the appraisal, home inspection, and termite report. I'd also lose the rate I'm locked in right now (4.75%). I've already given notice at my current apartment so I'd have to ask my landlord if I can stay longer or find a new place to live.

2 - I continue on and agree to take on the lien, which would be due in two payments in March and June of $3750.

3 - I continue on and attempt to negotiate with Fannie Mae about the lien, since it shouldn't have been on the market with the lien and that the lien should have been disclosed up from in either the MLS listing or during the beginning of the process not halfway through escrow. If the asset manager isn't responding, is there someone else I can have my agent deal with?

I'm just not sure exactly what I should do. If I delay too much I lose my interest rate lock, will have a per Diem after the 23rd, and will not have a place to call my own after December 31st. But it doesn't seem right that I'm responsible for a lien that was assessed back in June and should have been taken care of then.

At this point in time I'm leaning towards just walking away and starting over, but it feels like that might bite me in the rear end later due to higher interest rates and the loss of the money I've put in so far.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know much about pre-existing liens. I do know that the purpose of title insurance is to insure against unknown liens, but they always check to see if there is a recorded lien and would exclude it before issuing the insurance.

I agree that you have the right to walk away and keep your earnest money deposit, but that you'd be out your costs of inspection. I think you should not worry too much about that locked-in rate: on an $80k mortgage, the difference between like a quarter percent rate or whatever will be pretty negligible for your monthly payments.

I think that were I in your position I'd spend another week or two trying to get the seller to figure their poo poo out and get the roof paid for and/or drop the price by the amount, and if they still couldn't do it I'd walk away.

It is also kind of a bad sign if you ask me. Basically the lien means that they hired a contractor to do work and then didn't pay them for the work. Did they screw any other contractors? Is there work that didn't get finished, or finished right, because they didn't pay for it or were having trouble paying for things and cheaped out? I'd start worrying about the quality of work; if they were having trouble paying for repairs they may have gone with the cheapest possible options.

There are a hojillion houses out there. Be ready to walk and stick to your guns. You should not have to swallow a nearly 10% increase on the price of the house without agreeing to it during price negotiations up front.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm leaning towards taking your advice. I'm not happy about assuming the lien, and taking on on that is almost 10% of my total loan just doesn't seem smart. Plus the HOA is raising the due or whatever you call them at the beginning of the year. It's only by $16 bucks, but what are the HOA fees being used for if not to cover major expenses like a new roof. This is a semi-small group, only 8 units in it I believe, no more than 24.

I'm gonna talk to my agent later today or tomorrow and get him to light a fire under someone. If I don't have some resolution to this, I'll walk away. I'll be out the cash, but I think it will be the right choice. I don't want to hate the place I'm living because I got blinded by all the positives.

Only thing that sucks is there aren't all that many houses/condos in my price range that are in good shape. I spent two months looking and only found four that I considered buying. I got sniped on two of them, the other was almost 40 years old in an established neighborhood but I didn't like the neighbors amongst other reasons.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm a little confused, I thought you said you were buying a house... but you have a shared roof? Is it actually a townhouse or condo or something?

Otherwise, HOA fees for like, a development area, are just for the maintenance of the commonly owned stuff; pools, private streets/parking, landscaping, etc. You'd be fully responsible for maintaining and repairing your own structure and should never expect an HOA to pay for that kind of thing.

Any case where you are considering buying a home that is burdened with an HOA, you should take into consideration the high likelihood that HOA fees will rise in the future. Personally I shied away from HOAs of any sort for that reason: I wanted a fixed-rate mortgage and the certainty of a fixed housing cost (although even then, I cannot count on property taxes remaining flat.)

If you're buying at the bottom end of your market, then you might have a hard time finding exactly what you want. You can expand your area of search, increase what you're willing to pay, or compromise on your purchasing criteria. And, of course, spend more time being patient and hoping you'll find what you want (not being sarcastic, it's what my wife and I did and it worked out for us).

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Just wanted to add an anecdotal story about banks like BoA investigating mortgage fraud. BoA hired a private investigator to ask me a few questions about my broker, whom actually did nothing wrong and steered me away from ARMs and the like when they were very popular. Hilariously, the investigator is doing an absolutely terrible job because he can't find my current address, which BoA actually has since I had checking and mortgage accounts with them. Not sure if my recent short sale had any connection with it, but I was curious if anyone else has heard of this happening recently.

BTW, with HOA dues that low for condos, I suspect the place is being run horribly with nowhere near enough reserves to cover emergency repairs or even periodic ones. My HOA dues at the place I had started in 2004 around $40 including water and garbage / sewer and is now at $330 / mo for various reasons that weren't foreseen. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not get an extra $300 / mo bill tacked on to my expenses only a few years down the road.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

necrobobsledder posted:

BTW, with HOA dues that low for condos, I suspect the place is being run horribly with nowhere near enough reserves to cover emergency repairs or even periodic ones. My HOA dues at the place I had started in 2004 around $40 including water and garbage / sewer and is now at $330 / mo for various reasons that weren't foreseen. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not get an extra $300 / mo bill tacked on to my expenses only a few years down the road.
Did you buy new construction? Seems like they typically set fees too low to start to get suckers in.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm thinking it's not a condo. Just a house in a housing development with, like, a shared swimming pool or something. I've seen houses with tiny HOA fees (less than $100 a month) and that's all it was for.

The only thing that threw me was the idea that that kind of HOA would cover a new roof on someone's house. That would only ever be part of an HOA for a condo or apartment or something.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Sorry I should have clarified in my original post. It is a condo/townhouse with four units sharing a single roof. It does seem odd that with a hoa fee of 160 a month that the association would not be covering the cost of a new roof. And this place does need it since it currently has a wood shake roof.

I'm gonna start looking at houses again just for the reason that they usually don't have the hoa fees and if they do they are less. My parents fees are about $80 a month. Plus I'll be able to look at a higher cost home without the hoa dues.

I'll ask another question though, since the lien was not disclosed could I make a case for having my costs refunded? If it had been disclosed that there was a lien I wouldn't have even started the process of even putting in an offer.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

gvibes posted:

Did you buy new construction? Seems like they typically set fees too low to start to get suckers in.
It was 3 years old by the time I got the place. I figured it wasn't a bad sign that 80%+ of the original owners were still owners at the time given circumstances. The thing is that the HOA dues were set by the residents basically and over time due to lack of involvement, the board kept increasing dues unopposed by the residents because fewer than 30% were even residents of the country it turns out and never voted on budget matters.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

diremonk posted:

I'll ask another question though, since the lien was not disclosed could I make a case for having my costs refunded? If it had been disclosed that there was a lien I wouldn't have even started the process of even putting in an offer.

I think you need to ask this question of your realtor; and, possibly, of a lawyer experienced in real estate law.

You definitely can get your earnest money deposit back. Getting compensation for your inspections might require legal action.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm going to ask my agent today about it. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask some smart people in the thread.

So when I talk to my agent today I'm going to tell him to contact the sellers agent regarding the lien. If they don't clear it by Wednesday, I'm going to consider walking. I'm pretty much going to walk anyways, but it really is a nice condo and I'd like to live there. This hopefully will put some pressure on the sellers agent and on the seller to get it cleared so that we can continue forward. I'm thinking that they might think it is worth eating the lien to get it off the books before the end of the year.

If they don't get back to me, I'll walk away but ask my agent to get in contact with the church that has a back up offer. I'll see if they would be willing to buy my appraisal and inspection reports. I don't know if that is possible, or if they would go for it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Plus I would be able to get almost all of my money back.

If things don't go well, I'll start looking again in January. I'm probably going to find a new agent though. My current one just wasn't being aggressive enough with finding properties, shooting down ones that I had found because "the neighborhoods are dark," and this whole lien issue. I'm not looking forward to calling my landlord and asking for another 90 days at my place.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

diremonk posted:

I'm going to ask my agent today about it. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask some smart people in the thread.

Are you sure that the lien isn't for the whole roof that would have been split in 4? It seems weird that a new shared roof wouldn't be split amongst the building and if it has already been split, it seems weird that a new roof would be almost $30,000.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Home inspector found fragments in the flame ducts for our forced-air furnace. Also it was way too loud and vibrating.

Paid $150 for a well-recommended HVAC company to take a look.

HVAC people found that the heat exchanger has holes and the fan bearing needs to be replaced.

Total cost: $3000ish, enough for a new furnace.

Brand new furnace funded by seller credits ahoy! Too bad that unless a miracle happens, we won't close in time to get the furnace installed for the energy efficiency tax credit. D:

Unless, of course, the seller refuses to give a credit, which means we either reduce our price or think about backing out entirely, but let's get a formal estimate first, at least.

Glad we got the estimate!

Bgwin
Apr 23, 2004
First time home buyer here buying a split type house for $208,000 with a 30 year fixed at 3.5%. Only quirk was the loan only allows the person to make $78,500 a year so I haven't been able to work any overtime in the last month and a half. Tentative closing date is Jan. 15. Everything has been going smooth, home inspection showed a few small problems (hot and cold water plumbing were reversed in the kitchen, radon levels were high) seller agreed to fix everything.

thenoodleincident
Apr 13, 2007

Bgwin posted:

First time home buyer here buying a split type house for $208,000 with a 30 year fixed at 3.5%. Only quirk was the loan only allows the person to make $78,500 a year so I haven't been able to work any overtime in the last month and a half. Tentative closing date is Jan. 15. Everything has been going smooth, home inspection showed a few small problems (hot and cold water plumbing were reversed in the kitchen, radon levels were high) seller agreed to fix everything.

3.5%!!!!???? How did you swing such a great interest rate?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Going in to do all of our signing in the morning, with close date on Thursday. Whole process has been relatively painless. Had some issues crop up with the roof but we were able to get those resolved with the seller. Unfortunately the seller is purchasing a REO house and the title company hosed up some of the work so it'll be a few weeks before they can get into their house. I guess they are putting their poo poo in storage and renting a place short term.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

diremonk posted:

shooting down ones that I had found because "the neighborhoods are dark,"

I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Blech stupid incredibly rising rates. At this point I am trying to decide if I should just lock it in or wait until January 13 when I have to lock in and see what I get dealt.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
So I thought I'd see what the SA opinion was on our situation, if this is long, sorry.

My wife and I are under contract to buy our first home. After looking at around 15+ houses in many towns in our area, we think this is the perfect house for us on the market and we love it. Our home inspector found a few problems, but the main one was the fact that the roof had three layers of shingles on it. Too much weight and a code violation, I guess. Also the detached garage roof was WAY past its life span and needed to be replaced. So we asked for the roofs to be replaced by a licensed contractor, along with some of the more major repairs that the inspector found. The seller agreed, but with a $5000 increase in the agreed price. We decided to accept this, since we really wanted this house. He would not start the roofs until we received our commitment letter from the bank, which we got around three weeks after the inspection, the 15th of this month, to be exact. So the roofs were started on the 20th of this month (December), and were finished by the end of the week. The problem is when we asked for the license number of the contractor he used for the roofs. We looked up the license online, and it turns out the license was effective on December 22, 2010. I should also mention that the seller is an electrician and is "flipping" the house. We googled the company that the contractor lists as his company on the license, and could not find any internet record of it. So we began to cynically think that he asked one of his buddies to get the license so they could half-rear end the roofing job. We do plan on having all the repairs inspected again after everything is complete, but there is only so much the inspector can see. After finding all this out, we asked the seller's agent for more info on the roofer, and we're waiting for her to get that to us. If they can't prove that the roofer didn't have a license when they started the roof, then technically the seller breached our purchase agreement. Also the roofer broke state law by acting as a contractor without a license. If the re inspection of the roof came back okay, would we have any leverage if the seller broke our contract by using a contractor who wasn't licensed when he started the roof?

To make things worse, the well test came back with bacteria. So the seller bleached it and had it retested, but it came back with too much chlorine, so I guess he didn't flush it enough after the disinfection. So they retested the well on the 23rd of December, and we will get the results back on the 28th hopefully. So that is another thing that is up in the air.

The whole thing has us frustrated. We have looked online for more houses in case this falls through, but there is nothing that we like that we can afford. My mother, my wife's mother, and her sister have all told us that we should give up this house. It just sucks since we have put so much money into it, with house, water, and radon inspections plus the bank appraisal all costing us money. And the fact that we really like the place. What would any of you do in this situation?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hard to say, but it does sound kind of sketchy. Did the seller get all the right permits and inspections for the rehab? You've got electrical, roof, plumbing, HVAC, gas, foundation ... lots of stuff to think about, and the inspector not able to get a good look at all of it of course.

Don't think about the money you've spent already - those are sunk costs and buying a hosed-up house won't make them "worth it". You should be balancing how much you like the place versus how much money and trouble you're going spend fixing things after you buy it. The inspection fees would be trivial in comparison if there are major problems remaining.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

slap me silly posted:

Hard to say, but it does sound kind of sketchy. Did the seller get all the right permits and inspections for the rehab? You've got electrical, roof, plumbing, HVAC, gas, foundation ... lots of stuff to think about, and the inspector not able to get a good look at all of it of course.

Don't think about the money you've spent already - those are sunk costs and buying a hosed-up house won't make them "worth it". You should be balancing how much you like the place versus how much money and trouble you're going spend fixing things after you buy it. The inspection fees would be trivial in comparison if there are major problems remaining.

Thanks for this. I wasn't even thinking of the seller getting the town permits and inspections. Part of the problem (no excuse for our lack of knowledge), is that our realtor has basically brushed aside any concerns we have had about the mechanics of the house. She even thought we were going overboard with wanting to get the roof re inspected. My wife and I have been having to do a lot of the leg work throughout this. That realtor sucks. My wife emailed her to ask about the permits and town inspections, so we will see if the seller got those.