Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

1) Lewis Tulley is possessed by the Key Master. The same man who consistently gets locked out of his own apartment. He even tries to escape Vince by going through a door into a fancy restaurant but it's locked. Over and over he's trying to get through doors and they're locked. Of everyone on Earth, he's the one who is possessed by the Key Master.

Amazing. Has anyone ever made this observation before?

(not being sarcastic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Amazing. Has anyone ever made this observation before?

(not being sarcastic)

Yeah, I have only seen the movie about 100 or so times, but I never, ever caught onto this. Good job, Cinny Bastard.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I never made the connection until it was mentioned either.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Reminds me of the time I realized "Go get her, Ray!" was a callback to "GET HER!"

I wondered how I missed it on my first hundred viewings.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kevyn posted:

Reminds me of the time I realized "Go get her, Ray!" was a callback to "GET HER!"

Oh wow, first the Keymaster reference and now this.

I never connected either before today!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kevyn posted:

This thread is blowing my mind.

How can this movie become even more clever after so many years :psyduck:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevyn posted:

I finally sussed that one out a few months ago when I was watching it with my father-in-law (I watch it about once a month, and I had never picked up on that), but the Louis / Keymaster thing just loving blew my mind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, I finally got the 'GET HER' thing at some point last year too, but not the Keymaster bit.

The commentary is right, Ghostbusters is a perfectly told joke.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

The_Doctor posted:

Ghostbusters is a perfectly told joke.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Yes.

I really like when they arrive in Dana's apartment building, and Egon's entire reaction to being in a structure specifically constructed using what was at the time super technology by a mad man to bring about the end of the world is "art deco. very nice."

Also that when he's first inspecting Vince he sees the dog monster on the monitor and just casually turns it off with a barely suppressed look of horror on his face.

Basically Egon is secretly the best character.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That isn't a secret :colbert:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm not seeing, when and who says "Get her"?

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Honest Thief posted:

I'm not seeing, where and who says "Get her"?

On the roof of Dana's building, when they first see Gozer, Venkman yells "GO GET 'ER RAY!" and gives him a smug little look while Ray slowly looks over at him with a look that says "you... you dick."

Which implies that ever since Ray yelled "Get Her!" in the library at the start, Venkman occasionally makes fun of him for it, and even now in the face of literal Armageddon Venkman is still ribbing Ray.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
My favorite interpretation of a scene is when Venkman goes to see Dana who's been possessed by Zuul. The only way he gets into her place is by telling her he's the Keymaster. She leads him to the bedroom, she floats above the covers and all that-- then we cut back to the scene later. The bedroom is in complete shambles, Venkman's disheveled, Zuul is passed out on the bed. Venkman mentions using a ridiculous amount of Thorazine on her. . .

But Venkman's not a psychiatrist. He can't prescribe medication and wouldn't have access to thorazine. Venkman had to bang his way out of the situation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think of any that would stop a man like Peter Venkman in that occupation from carrying around large amounts of thorazine, just in case.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
I think the implication that he'd have that much thorazine on his person when going on a date is worse then him just flat out sleeping with Zuul, but that's just me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Soulwrangler posted:

My favorite interpretation of a scene is when Venkman goes to see Dana who's been possessed by Zuul. The only way he gets into her place is by telling her he's the Keymaster. She leads him to the bedroom, she floats above the covers and all that-- then we cut back to the scene later. The bedroom is in complete shambles, Venkman's disheveled, Zuul is passed out on the bed. Venkman mentions using a ridiculous amount of Thorazine on her. . .

But Venkman's not a psychiatrist. He can't prescribe medication and wouldn't have access to thorazine. Venkman had to bang his way out of the situation.

I guess I just don't like that interpretation, just because while Venkman is mildly skeezy and does approach science as a dodge, or a hustle, I don't see him taking advantage of Dana that way. I've always rationalized it by thinking that either Egon or Ray (probably Egon) made sure that the rest of the team carried some stuff in their utility belts (or whatever). "Venkman nails Dana to calm her down" feels very wrong to me.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Timby posted:

I guess I just don't like that interpretation, just because while Venkman is mildly skeezy and does approach science as a dodge, or a hustle, I don't see him taking advantage of Dana that way. I've always rationalized it by thinking that either Egon or Ray (probably Egon) made sure that the rest of the team carried some stuff in their utility belts (or whatever). "Venkman nails Dana to calm her down" feels very wrong to me.

I'm really not trying to be that geek or anything, and this will be the end of it, but it's not Dana. It's Zuul. She's got him cornered at the end of the scene and everything. I'm not saying I can't see it from the more innocent angle, and the more innocent angle plays up the uh, beauty of their first kiss during the credits-- but knowing where Aykroyd and Ramis were creatively at the time (blowjob ghost at the fort) I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that Venkman nailed Zuul.

I'll meet you guys halfway. Zuul realized he wasn't the Keymaster and lost interest.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Timby posted:

To be fair, it's not anywhere as skeezy as the thought that Tully and Dana totally did it.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

To be fair, it's not anywhere as skeezy as the thought that Tully and Dana totally did it.

No, Louis. No...

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Crappy Jack posted:

Why? Dana seemed okay with it.

Now that I think about it, maybe that's the skeezy part.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Jay Dub posted:

Why? Dana seemed okay with it.

Now that I think about it, maybe that's the skeezy part.

They were possessed, so it's not like either of them really had control over their actions. I don't remember, but does either of them say anything about remembering what happened?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

seaborgium posted:

They were possessed, so it's not like either of them really had control over their actions. I don't remember, but does either of them say anything about remembering what happened?

Louis: "Dana, did we..."

Dana: "No, Louis. No."

BUT THEY TOTALLY DIIIIIID.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Dana and Lewis didn't do it, the Keymaster and Gatekeeper of Gozer did it while possessing their bodies. In a setting where possession exists, you have to keep the mind/body dichotomy in mind.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pope Guilty posted:

Dana and Lewis didn't do it, the Keymaster and Gatekeeper of Gozer did it while possessing their bodies. In a setting where possession exists, you have to keep the mind/body dichotomy in mind.

It gives "doggy style" a whole new meaning.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

seaborgium posted:

Wait, wait... Sorry, I had a brainfart there and read "Dana" and thought "Jeanine". I thought you were talking about part 2.

I was trying to say Dana seemed okay with Louis and Jeanine getting it on in front of the baby.

I'm an idiot.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jay Dub posted:

Wait, wait... Sorry, I had a brainfart there and read "Dana" and thought "Jeanine". I thought you were talking about part 2.

I was trying to say Dana seemed okay with Louis and Jeanine getting it on in front of the baby.

I'm an idiot.

Wow. and you haven't even seen Yogi Bear yet.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Wow. and you haven't even seen Yogi Bear yet.

I know :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just imaged an 80s David Warner talking to himself sadly because of your avatars.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fleet21 posted:

I just imaged an 80s David Warner talking to himself sadly because of your avatars.

We just need the guy with the Sark avatar and we'll be all set.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

fleet21 posted:

We need more David Warners.

headrest
May 1, 2009
No new cunning observation, but I always laugh out loud at the way Murray walks in on the dean and delivers the line "I trust you're moving us to better quarters on campus."

He knows what's going on. He just wants to be a dick.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Very happy to oblige.
Ever since watching Tron as a young lad have I had a movie love for Mr Warner.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Requesting thread is renamed "David Warners should've been Winston Zeddemore".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ivan Reitman is now saying that he has a completed 'Ghostbusters 3' script, which has roles for all of the previous characters in it, plus the new ones. He shot down a lot of casting rumors, saying that everything he had seen on the Internet previously was false. He mentioned that he had no idea how long it might take to get Bill Murray to read the script, but that rumors he didn't like the script were false.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/reitman-says-hes-ready-call-ghostbusters-3-23761

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Indiana ... let it go.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
I'd love a TV series about a franchised Ghostbuster team in some other city. Get some versatile comedy actors, a good writing team, Reitman as EP, you're good to go.

e: okay maybe that's not as easy as it sounded when I typed it

Captain Corduroy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 10, 2011

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Captain Corduroy posted:

I'd love a TV series about a franchised Ghostbuster team in some other city. Get some versatile comedy actors, a good writing team, Reitman as EP, you're good to go.

My spec script/fan fiction idea! nooooooo!

Don't worry Chicago Ghostbusters, no one will harm you. You'll always be mine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I suddenly had a vision of a series of Law & Order/CSI-esque spinoffs.

Ghostbusters: Chicago
Ghostbusters: New Orleans
Ghostbusters: Paranormal Investigation
Ghostbusters: Spectral Victims Unit
:doink:

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Captain Corduroy posted:

I'd like something like this too. Let us follow a new start up franchise across the country. A buncha rookies, the occasional cameo. Some drama, more humor. Eventually have it run into the ground, turns into a teen drama, producers turn it around in 4th season, show is immediately canceled, we all feel kinda dirty.

This is my dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ivan Reitman is now saying that he has a completed 'Ghostbusters 3' script, which has roles for all of the previous characters in it, plus the new ones. He shot down a lot of casting rumors, saying that everything he had seen on the Internet previously was false. He mentioned that he had no idea how long it might take to get Bill Murray to read the script, but that rumors he didn't like the script were false.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/reitman-says-hes-ready-call-ghostbusters-3-23761

Rumors that Bill didn't like it were false? Aren't there quotes from a real Murray interview with him talking poo poo about the script?

• Locked thread