Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

CaptainScraps posted:

Go get 'em kid.

I had a judge gently caress me by refusing to strike an ipse dixit affidavit so she could wrongfully apply the attorney judgment rule in malpractice cases to toss our case.

I feel ok about it. It's not perfect. I probably hosed up a lot. But the other side filed a motion for partial summary judgment on a claim they didn't assert so at least I didn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

You have got to be kidding me

In the latest twist to my saga, two days after completing my cross country car move since my girlfriend told me to get out forever, I am contacted by a biglaw firm in the city I just left about coming in for an interview :suicide:

Linguica fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 14, 2010

jtsold
Jul 6, 2004
dlostj

Elotana posted:

Anyone have any classmates become landmen (landwomen)? (This might be a Texas-specific question.)
I'm a landman. I posted a couple pages back about my law school thoughts.

Anyway, two of my coworkers on a previous crew had gone to law school. One of them was the textbook definition of underachiever in law school; the other was a mild underachiever in law school but was putting in his time trying to get an in-house gig somewhere.

Edit: If you have specific questions, shoot me a PM.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

billion dollar bitch posted:

Environmental law final in an hour and fourteen minutes.

freakin' out, maaaaaaaaaaan.

My enviro final is tomorrow and I am freakin' out as well.

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

Omerta posted:

Booyeah I got a paying 1L job. I'm awesome. Now I just need my grades to not suck.

Nicely done (Imagine me saying that through clenched teeth). But seriously, well done. You're one of the lucky few.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Linguica posted:

In the latest twist to my saga, two days after completing my cross country car move since my girlfriend told me to get out forever, I am contacted by a biglaw firm in the city I just left about coming in for an interview :suicide:

Go dominate the interview. They'll pay moving expenses when you get the job.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010

quote:

Anyone have any classmates become landmen (landwomen)? (This might be a Texas-specific question.)

Several. And several of the people I went to law school with were landmen originally. The associate who works exclusively with our oil and gas partner was a landman first and was a year ahead of me in school.

I have a background in title work, and was a title officer before law school; I've done some landman-type work for the firm. It wasn't that hard to learn once I took Oil and Gas.

jtsold
Jul 6, 2004
dlostj

Cortina posted:

Several. And several of the people I went to law school with were landmen originally. The associate who works exclusively with our oil and gas partner was a landman first and was a year ahead of me in school.
And how did those students do? Did they go on to be successful?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Ever get one of those moments where under the pressure of a lot of caffeine and pressure you just wrote something really dumb on an exam? For some reason, I put like 2 paragraphs worth of crap about how you can't complaint and summons by mail under the FRCP :v:

The dumbest part is I did mail service on the Federal government all the time for like 6 years while I was a paralegal.

...I'm going to die alone, aren't I?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So should we be focusing on applying to jobs or focusing on studying for exams? I only applied to a few come December and have put off summer employment things (as a 1L) until after Thursday when I'm all done... Did I do A Bad Thing? Am I screwed?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Direwolf posted:

So should we be focusing on applying to jobs or focusing on studying for exams? I only applied to a few come December and have put off summer employment things (as a 1L) until after Thursday when I'm all done... Did I do A Bad Thing? Am I screwed?

Studying. Your 1L grades are basically going to determine your future. No pressure.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010

quote:

And how did those students do? Did they go on to be successful?

Of the people from my year, the ones with an oil and gas or a title background have had the easiest times finding jobs. One of my friends took a gig during curative work and stand up title work with a landman firm. She is making a ton of money, but she is contract and often works Saturdays because she is so busy and she wants to bill while the iron is hot. The girl who is at my firm is doing very well too. I also have a pack of friends working at a law firm that solely produces oil and gas title opinions, and that firm is so busy they've hired ten new people this year, and have plans for more in the new year.

However, it's currently the boomiest of boom times in the South Texas fields, and they are desperate for people, but oil and gas is counter-cyclical and this could all fade away like it did in the 90s at any moment. There will still be a place for a landman turned lawyer but it's not going to be as easy as it is now to fall into a really good position.

Having landman experience is something that adds value to your JD, and it definitely means you have more going for you than the moron who goes "I want to be an ACLU activist! Wheeee!", but it's not a guarantee that you won't get out of law school just as the boom goes bust and find yourself in the same position as most of the people I went to law school with, i.e, hosed.

Cortina fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 15, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Could someone explain the term "landman"?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

MaximumBob posted:

Studying. Your 1L grades are basically going to determine your future. No pressure.

Does grades in particular courses particularly matter? Because I'm fairly certain I got excellent grades in Civil Procedure and Legal Skills, but I felt like an idiot for a lot of the questions on Contracts.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

entris posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landman_%28oil_worker%29

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Today I got an interview for a 1L summer job for which I never applied.

Yeah, that just happened.

jtsold
Jul 6, 2004
dlostj

entris posted:

I mentioned it a few pages back. Basically, a client decides, "I want to drill on blackacre," or simply, "I want to acquire leases in blackacre to gain position." We landmen go out and research the real estate title for that tract of land. We figure out who all the various owners of the mineral rights are, whether there are any problems with the title that we need to cure (e.g. ambiguous conveyances, faulty reservations of mineral rights, etc.), examine probate records if necessary to determine the heirs of a record owner--that kind of stuff. Also, a lot of landmen will also go out and negotiate the leases with the owners on behalf of the client.

I've heard that the term itself is a shortened form of "land manager", but I couldn't verify that if I had to.

Cortina posted:

Of the people from my year, the ones with an oil and gas or a title background have had the easiest times finding jobs. One of my friends took a gig during curative work and stand up title work with a landman firm. She is making a ton of money, but she is contract and often works Saturdays because she is so busy and she wants to bill while the iron is hot.
I certainly understand that. I billed (and worked) every single day this past summer, except 3.

jtsold fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 15, 2010

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Raaagh! I hate Blackacre! Nothing good EVER comes out of Blackacre. It is the worst acre.

DonT15
Oct 31, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Does grades in particular courses particularly matter? Because I'm fairly certain I got excellent grades in Civil Procedure and Legal Skills, but I felt like an idiot for a lot of the questions on Contracts.

Your grades will reflect the inverse of this.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010

JimTheSarcastic posted:

I certainly understand that. I billed (and worked) every single day this past summer, except 3.

That seems to be the common thread. My friend who writes title opinion letters all day consistently works from 8-6, then takes work home for the weekends. She's tired, but she's socking away a giant pile of money because her rent and other living expenses are so low, so it's worth it for her.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

JimTheSarcastic posted:

I mentioned it a few pages back. Basically, a client decides, "I want to drill on blackacre," or simply, "I want to acquire leases in blackacre to gain position." We landmen go out and research the real estate title for that tract of land. We figure out who all the various owners of the mineral rights are, whether there are any problems with the title that we need to cure (e.g. ambiguous conveyances, faulty reservations of mineral rights, etc.), examine probate records if necessary to determine the heirs of a record owner--that kind of stuff. Also, a lot of landmen will also go out and negotiate the leases with the owners on behalf of the client.

You have just really made me appreciate the Torrens system.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm fairly certain your feeling about an exam has little correlation to how you actually did. Not trying to be a dick, but every single person ever has told me that trying to guess your exam grades only leads to madness.

The Warszawa posted:

drat, I just got one-upped. Are you going to the interview?

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001
THIS ISN'T ROCKET SURGERY!

Cortina posted:

Having landman experience is something that adds value to your JD, and it definitely means you have more going for you than the moron who goes "I want to be an ACLU activist! Wheeee!", but it's not a guarantee that you won't get out of law school just as the boom goes bust and find yourself in the same position as most of the people I went to law school with, i.e, hosed.

Yea, man, those public interest people are poo poo! Right on!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Alaemon posted:

Raaagh! I hate Blackacre! Nothing good EVER comes out of Blackacre. It is the worst acre.

You're just saying that because you can never sell alcohol on the premises without it reverting to some random douche named Grant.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Sbull posted:

Yea, man, those public interest people are poo poo! Right on!

We are tho don't doubt the man. Like I have worked in NGOs and foreign countries and in the UN and I am pretty sure I ahve about as much a shot as anyone else for panda jobs.

jtsold
Jul 6, 2004
dlostj

Angry Grimace posted:

You're just saying that because you can never sell alcohol on the premises without it reverting to some random douche named Grant.
Don't you mean he can never be sold alcohol on the premises without it reverting?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Omerta posted:

I'm fairly certain your feeling about an exam has little correlation to how you actually did. Not trying to be a dick, but every single person ever has told me that trying to guess your exam grades only leads to madness.

drat, I just got one-upped. Are you going to the interview?

It's a phone interview, but hell yes I actually want this job. I just hadn't gotten around to sending my poo poo in.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Warszawa posted:

No offense but I'm not surprised that you received an unsolicited interview. You're at HYS or something, it makes sense that employers would just coldcall you guys and gals.

Now, someone at a lower tier school like GW getting something like that, that would be surprising.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
What kind of poo poo will I be asked in 1L-summer DA and USAO interviews? Will it be the a lot of pretty general, easy questions about who I am and why I want to be in X doing Y, or should I try to have a really good idea of what's going on in the city/district and/or have really good reasons for the trajectory of the Rest Of My Life?

I've been told that interviews for full-time employment have a lot of ethical hypos in them; should I expect anything like that?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Linguica posted:

This happened to me when I did the same thing. I went back and didn't get the job. Can't say I'm too broken up about it even though it would have been 1000x better than my current lovely job.

And after all the hours I spent on this deal these past two months, never leaving before midnight? We were finally supposed to close the deal tomorrow... and today, the other company got bought by another company so the deal is off and we have to start all over again with a new company... I hate my life.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

What kind of poo poo will I be asked in 1L-summer DA and USAO interviews? Will it be the a lot of pretty general, easy questions about who I am and why I want to be in X doing Y, or should I try to have a really good idea of what's going on in the city/district and/or have really good reasons for the trajectory of the Rest Of My Life?

I've been told that interviews for full-time employment have a lot of ethical hypos in them; should I expect anything like that?

It prrrrrrobably depends on where you're applying--I'd imagine smaller markets would be more interested in why you're looking there, if only because it's less obvious, but then I only applied in the big cities.

As for the substantive questions, on top of the usual know-your-resume stuff, just be ready to explain why you want to be a prosecutor. Ethical hypos seem to be more the defense side's speed.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

And after all the hours I spent on this deal these past two months, never leaving before midnight? We were finally supposed to close the deal tomorrow... and today, the other company got bought by another company so the deal is off and we have to start all over again with a new company... I hate my life.

I can write you a letter of recommendation for your Army JAG application package.

I'm heading to Charlottesville in July! Longer than I wanted to wait, but still I am excited as all hell.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 15, 2010

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Defleshed posted:

I can write you a letter of recommendation for your Army JAG application package.

I'm heading to Charlottesville in July! Longer than I wanted to wait, but still I am excited as all hell.

This, but for me and for real.

How is JAG treating you so far?

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
Anyone here do consumer bankruptcies? What are the fees like? Are the clients as needy as divorce clients?

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

poofactory posted:

Anyone here do consumer bankruptcies? What are the fees like? Are the clients as needy as divorce clients?

Bankruptcy and removal sounds like the ultimate practice. You have two sets of clients: (1) people who bankrupted themselves paying all the government application fees and (2) families who just had their breadwinner deported.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

prussian advisor posted:

This, but for me and for real.

How is JAG treating you so far?

I'm in the Reserves until July when I go Active so I've only been to one drill and a couple voluntary training exercises, but so far I love it. Everyone is laid back; it's like a low-billables law office except you wear comfortable clothes to work and you make more than $35K per year.

Based on my prior experience in the military, I'm sure Active Duty will be a little more uptempo, but from what the two friends of mine from law school who are already on Active say it is still extremely chill. Obviously you're a soldier but you're also an officer and a professional so the amount of bullshit you have to deal with is somewhat mitigated. You do have to be somewhat in shape, although the requirements aren't terribly grueling. For me as a 33 year old male the minimum is a 2 mile run in like 17:45, 36 pushups, and 42 situps which is quite easy if you're at all physically active. There is a complex and arcane system through which people navigate allowing them to be well under even those very lenient minimum requirements for years and still be on active duty so I don't even know how necessary it is. I've seen some pretty obviously obese people running around in uniform too so take that for what it is worth.

My Reserve Unit is tasked with assisting deploying soldiers in getting their outstanding legal affairs in order before heading to Afghanistan and most of them are currently mobilized in Washington DC doing various things related to that. I was hoping to maybe join them while I waited for July to get here, but it looks like I can't go anywhere until I get that 3.5 months of training done.

I always sound like a recruiter in here when I talk about this job, so I will shut up, but people should keep an open mind about it. The military needs good lawyers too and you can do a lot of good here while still making a nice living for yourself (plus there's the 10 year public service loan forgiveness and also 60K bonus)

VVVV - Yeah I guess I should mention that it took me 1.5 years of trying in order to get selected, and people in my entering course are West Point Grads and polyglots and former Foreign Service People and all kinds of interesting and they are coming from law schools like Harvard, UCLA, Michigan, Columbia, et. al... just under 6% of applicants were selected last time around. So it is not a "well I guess I'll fall back on this" type of thing like it used to be. That said, as a 2009 grad from a mid 70's ranked law school I had a much higher chance of becoming an Army JAG than I ever did of working for a big firm.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 15, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't see any problem with you talking up JAG so long as we don't encourage 0Ls to think that it's an easy thing to get into.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Defleshed posted:

and also 60K bonus

First I've heard of this. Is this Army only?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

prussian advisor posted:

First I've heard of this. Is this Army only?

Yes, Army only and just recently instituted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008

Defleshed posted:

Grats dude!

My packet is still awaiting board review. Comeoncomeoncomeoncomeon.