Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
It's either EE-sen-grin or IH-sen-grin. Not really sure which. It certainly isn't a consonant y like you and Elysiume seem to think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's either EE-sen-grin or IH-sen-grin. Not really sure which. It certainly isn't a consonant y like you and Elysiume seem to think!
I will defend my pronunciation to the death :argh:

IH-sen-grin seems plausible, but EE-sen-grin seems kind of odd.

vv: I know, but I see EE and think like "I am being murdered, EEEEEEE" over "hola y buenas dias"

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 16, 2010

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Elysiume posted:

"Y" in spanish is the word for "and" and is pronounced "EE", so I can see where he's coming from.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Elysiume posted:

I pronounce it IH-sen-grin in my head. I am pretty sure that's right. Usually when "y" is used as a vowel, it just is pronounced as if it was an i. EYE-sen-grin is also a possibility. ENGLISH :argh:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Behold, I come from the east, bearing gifts and correct answers: http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/434629398

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Behold, I come from the east, bearing gifts and correct answers: http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/434629398
So it's "Iss-en-grin. "Looks like DontMockMySmock's "IH-sen-grin" was the closest! To the victor go all of the spoils.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I pronounce it as "Sengrin" with a little barely audible "ih" at the start.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I pronounce Jeanne as "zhon," a la Jeanne D'Arc, because I am a language nerd.

Ysengrin is probably properly "EYE-sen-grin" but I still think "EE-sen-grin" when I read it.

Of course this is as pointless as arguing the proper pronunciation of "Submariner."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I got all curious and Googled around, and Ysengrin seems to be the French interpretation of "Isengrim," who is both a character in good-ol-fashioned European fables (Usually an an opponent to Reynard the Fox) and apparently a Hobbit. Isen is some old Germanic term meaning "Iron", and it's the same root word for Isengard, so I assume they'd share pronunciations because Tolkien was a language nerd. So put me down for "Eye-sen-grin." But then again I suppose the adopted French spelling would be pronounced differently anyway. Also I don't know anything about linguistics, or pronouncing, or European fables, or wolves. Or Tolkien, for that matter.

So it's a definite maybe.

edit: I also don't know anything about posting in a timely manner.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Mirage posted:

I pronounce Jeanne as "zhon," a la Jeanne D'Arc, because I am a language nerd.

Ysengrin is probably properly "EYE-sen-grin" but I still think "EE-sen-grin" when I read it.

Of course this is as pointless as arguing the proper pronunciation of "Submariner."

Sub-marin-ur. And no one is arguing.

\/\/ You mean "bawks-butt"

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 16, 2010

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Actually I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "bawks-bawt."

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I've been pronouncing it "EYE-sen-grin," but I've no idea which way is right.

efb with the proper answer (not mine :( )

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

The missing ear was probably just happenstance. I doubt he was much less of a moody bastard before Coyote fixed him up.

I think the missing ear was the court's fault in some way - there's a bismuth symbol over it in the Third Treatise

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I think the missing ear was the court's fault in some way - there's a bismuth symbol over it in the Third Treatise

Coyote literally has his eye on Antimony. Is this arc going to be what the fertility doll refers to?

Sneaksie Taffer fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 16, 2010

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

Coyote literally has his eye on Antimony. Is this arc going to be what the ferility doll refers to?
If you're saying what I think you're saying then you should probably stop doing that.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Elysiume posted:

If you're saying what I think you're saying then you should probably stop doing that.

What do you think I'm saying? If you think I'm misusing literally, look at the picture closely.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Aww widdle Annie :3:

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
You can just feel the devastation from Anthony in the last panel. Kind of goes to show the poor guy does have emotions, after all. :smith:

Catiline
Jan 3, 2008
Yes, but what does the pencil mean?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Catiline posted:

Yes, but what does the pencil mean?

Sometimes a pencil is just a pencil.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
On page 2 of this chapter, I said, "Man, this is going to be the saddest chapter, isn't it?"

And it has not let me down. :(

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

This page looks like a flashback, but I don't see the rounded corners so I think it's a dream.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Talas posted:

This page looks like a flashback, but I don't see the rounded corners so I think it's a dream.

Probably a dream or a vision. Maybe a gift from Coyote to the Fire headed girl while she slumbers.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Talas posted:

:confused: The top two panels have rounded corners. The bottom panels don't, which means there's going to be another flashback page or two.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
:smug: + :3:

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
I know this is probably because it's a dream or something, but according to Panel 6 that is a big loving hospital room.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

The 19th Person posted:

I know this is probably because it's a dream or something, but according to Panel 6 that is a big loving hospital room.

In an earlier chapter there's a wide shot of Surma's room and I think it was pretty huge for a hospital room.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

In an earlier chapter there's a wide shot of Surma's room and I think it was pretty huge for a hospital room.

Also, exaggerating room size shows how Annie's perspective is that of a young, small girl. See also the huge corridor.

I want to know if we will find out who is standing behind Anthony.

P.S.: Check out Annie wearing makeup and Surma not.

P.P.S.: Fire-head girl reflection.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Heliotrope posted:

:smug: + :3:

More like :chord:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Brannock posted:

:confused: The top two panels have rounded corners. The bottom panels don't, which means there's going to be another flashback page or two.
Oh, that's true, I must have missed those corners. White corners! :argh:

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

EoRaptor posted:

P.P.S.: Fire-head girl reflection.

I love this comic.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I've noticed this before but god drat did they give Surma one hell of a room at that hospital. It's like they cleared out the Cafeteria and put a bed in there.

Plus I was always kind of :raise: over how Annie managed to live there, exactly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dunno, I kinda thought that was visual exaggeration, plus how every room is huge when you're three feet tall.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

EoRaptor posted:

I don't see any makeup on Annie either, for what it's worth...

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends

Madrox posted:

I don't see any makeup on Annie either, for what it's worth...

It's subtle, but you can see it when she has her eyes half closed right in this panel.

E: Actually now I'm looking at it closer and it's just the black lines above her eyes giving the illusion of makeup. Woops.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OurLivesOnline posted:

E: Actually now I'm looking at it closer and it's just the black lines above her eyes giving the illusion of makeup. Woops.

Yeah, I may be 'over interpreting' it. It did seem to match the colour we had seen previously, though. Time to wait to see if Monday shows anything.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Annie seems a lot more expressive back then. More Surma-like. I wonder why she stopped?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Squeegy posted:

Annie seems a lot more expressive back then. More Surma-like. I wonder why she stopped?
I'd think her mother dying and her father abandoning her would make her a bit introverted.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Elysiume posted:

I'd think her mother dying and her father abandoning her would make her a bit introverted.

True, although we have every reason to believe that Surma's mother also died when she was young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
and it sent her personality as a youngster completely the other way until she ended up with the stoic emotionless father figure type